PDA

View Full Version : Woodson contract

Rastak
04-27-2006, 06:22 AM
From profootballtalk.com

NO SIGNING BONUS FOR WOODSON

A league source tells us that cornerback Charles Woodson's contract with the Packers includes a signing bonus of . . . zero dollars, zero cents.

The reason for the team's decision not to pay Woodson has less to do with his skill and more to do with the fact that the Packers have plenty of cap room for 2006. By funding Woodson's first-year pay through a roster bonus and base salary, $10.5 million can be handed to him with no proration in future years.

As a practical matter, this makes it easier for the Packers to cut ties with Woodson in any future season, since there would be no acceleration due to the portion of the signing bonus that applies to future years.

We're also told that, although the deal is being characterized as a seven-year, $52 million arrangement, it is as a practical matter a three-year, $18 million package. Depending on Woodson's performance, he could be gone by 2007 or 2008.

Not a huge deal, but not bad for an aging, injury-prone cover man as to whom only one other team expressed serious interest.

Tarlam!
04-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Any minute now Tank will be on here saying how this is an utterly ridiculous contract and clearly demonstrates that TT is dismantling the team. He will most likely argue this guy could have been had by him paying TT a SB and it doesn't matter, because Carroll, Shermie's last 1sr rounder and future HOF CB will be so upset, he will leave for the Redskins.

Tank, you'd be wrong, though.

Bretsky
04-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Any minute now Tank will be on here saying how this is an utterly ridiculous contract and clearly demonstrates that TT is dismantling the team. He will most likely argue this guy could have been had by him paying TT a SB and it doesn't matter, because Carroll, Shermie's last 1sr rounder and future HOF CB will be so upset, he will leave for the Redskins.

Tank, you'd be wrong, though.

Tarlem,

It could certainly be argued that restructuring this contract was not that clever, but a desperate attempt to use up nearly all our remaining cap space up for TT to save face after failing thus far in free agency.

Do I think that ? No. But I also don't think this one siging makes TT's offseaon a success because we still have holes we should have filled or need to fill.

I'm not a TT backer yet. All things considered, I'd say our offseason just went from terrible to alright with the Woodson signing. I'm waiting for the draft and to see if he is going to choose to neglect our OL weakness or address it.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Grab the end of that rope and hang on B!! Offseason ain't over yet!

Tarlam!
04-27-2006, 07:39 AM
B, had we have signed Arrington, you'd be on the band wagon. My note above actually says, there are people and fans that, no matter what TT accomplishes with peronel decision making, will always find a way to despise the guy. Tank is one of them.

Any success will no doubt be attributed to the coaching/playing/oppostion's deficiencies, certainly never TT's doing his job.

I have slammed a few TT ideas. I have applauded a few TT deals. But I support him greatly in his attempts to return our team to the SB, where it belongs.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2006, 07:43 AM
My note above actually says, there are people and fans that, no matter what TT accomplishes with peronel decision making, will always find a way to despise the guy. Tank is one of them.

Ain't that the truth. Ted could win 3 Superbowls, but Tank would say Sherman would have won 4. The ink wasn't dry on Ted's GM contract and Tank was already ripping him.

Why?

Because he loved Sherman. And love is blind.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Arrington would have been nice. I'll be on board if he has a good draft.

Bretsky
04-27-2006, 08:07 AM
B, had we have signed Arrington, you'd be on the band wagon. My note above actually says, there are people and fans that, no matter what TT accomplishes with peronel decision making, will always find a way to despise the guy. Tank is one of them.

Any success will no doubt be attributed to the coaching/playing/oppostion's deficiencies, certainly never TT's doing his job.

I have slammed a few TT ideas. I have applauded a few TT deals. But I support him greatly in his attempts to return our team to the SB, where it belongs.

I had the perception TT absolutely would not pay a free agent well; that perception is now flawed and Woodson is the evidence.

What this truly gives me hope with is that TT startes shoring this team up and with two good drafts and BF staying two more years he goes out a Super Bowl Champ. AJ Hawk is step 2.

I watched an interview with his brother Scott last night; he said just as much. If GB shows promise this year we might see Favre in a Packer uniform for a couple more years.

Tarlam!
04-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Well, then you don't belong in the TT hater category, because you have already admitted he can change your opinion if we field a winning team. There are others that will only be satisfied when he leaves.

That is what my beef is about. I don't expect people to agree with me that TT is doing fine, particularly if they have evidence to the contrary. But, I find people raising statues to Sherman are in another galaxy...

Bretsky
04-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Well, then you don't belong in the TT hater category, because you have already admitted he can change your opinion if we field a winning team. There are others that will only be satisfied when he leaves.

That is what my beef is about. I don't expect people to agree with me that TT is doing fine, particularly if they have evidence to the contrary. But, I find people raising statues to Sherman are in another galaxy...

Agree completely; time to head to that dam job.

Have a great day,
B

Guiness
04-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Why is the most recuring theme in discussing Woodson what Tank will think of it?

For someone that you all profess to be the village idiot, you give him an awful lot of press. How about formulating some opinions of your own instead of speculating what Tank will think.

MadtownPacker
04-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Yes, if we are basing what we think against what dunceboy thinks we are truly doomed.

Like I said last season on JSO, TT is the MAN and is gonna have the Pack back before you know it. I am very excited about the future and my only regret is that TT didnt take over as GM in 2001 when Wolf stepped down. He might have had the Packers in the SB last year instead of Seattle and gave Favre his chance to go out on top. I just hope he can get this team in playoff mode or at least a good run for the swan song while still building for the future. Had Murphy not gotten hurt and continued to progress like he appeared to be I would have considered last years draft a successful one.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Why is the most recuring theme in discussing Woodson what Tank will think of it?

For someone that you all profess to be the village idiot, you give him an awful lot of press. How about formulating some opinions of your own instead of speculating what Tank will think.

Why do people watch Howard Stern, and the WWF? Who cares - it's a free country.

And there's no shortage of peoples own opinions around here if you bother to look a little.

beakerman
04-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Andrew Brandt, usualyl writes the contracts, everything runs by thompson, but Brandt takes care of the cap and is the main number cruncher, he has made some nice cap friendly contracts in the last few years.

Partial
04-27-2006, 10:19 AM
I really think the key to being successful over the next few years will be 2 starting linebackers and 2 starting linemen out of this draft.

If they do it AJ Hawk and Hodge/Jackson, that would probably be better for our defense.

If they went AJ Hawk and Davin Joseph, I think it would please the favre man.

Either way, I think they're in position (especially if the trade Walker and get 2 2nds for him) to make a huge impact with the draft.

imscott72
04-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Not a huge deal, but not bad for an aging, injury-prone cover man as to whom only one other team expressed serious interest.

That's because not many teams had the cap room to sign him. I refuse to believe it would have been just us and Tampa had his price tag not been so high or if several other teams had more cap flexibility.

On a side note, what do you guys think it going to happen to Roman? I can't imagine him being happy as a back up. Trade for future low rounder?

Guiness
04-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Yes, Roman would probably prefer to be a starter, but as it is, he's not a horribly priced backup providing some depth.

Hopefully he knows his place.

Guiness
04-27-2006, 11:00 AM
And there's no shortage of peoples own opinions around here if you bother to look a little.

Quite right. I'm just amazed that so much attention is paid to this one poster.

BTW what is your Avatar? What the heck is that on his finger, multiple wedding bands (to go with the Polygamist theme?)

Scott Campbell
04-27-2006, 11:31 AM
BTW what is your Avatar? What the heck is that on his finger, multiple wedding bands (to go with the Polygamist theme?)

Bingo.