PDA

View Full Version : Interestin Clip from JS-- Welcome Mat

Bretsky
03-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Welcome mat:

McCarthy has made it a priority to create an environment where players feel free to make the three-story trek to the coaches' offices and get some one-on-one attention.

As many people suspected at the time, there weren't many players who even thought about leaving their sanctuary to speak with former coach Mike Sherman. The atmosphere wasn't conducive to having heart-to-hearts.

"It's amazing last year going through it," McCarthy said. "I've got Brett Favre (who) comes in my office and he's walking around and he goes, 'Well, I've never been up here.' If I had one, I had 20 guys tell me that.

"I want guys up on that third floor. I want that interaction between the coaches and players. You talk about relationship-building, you talk about group dynamics, that's a key part of it."

McCarthy said he was not trying to create a social club, but he wants a player who might be afraid of asking questions in a meeting room full of other players to be able to come upstairs and talk to his position coach or coordinator. He said the layout of Lambeau Field didn't promote that kind of intimacy, so he wants to make sure the players know there's an open-door policy.

"What I don't want is that when they push No. 3 in the elevator, it's, 'Oh (shoot), here I go, I'm going up to the head coach's office for something negative,' and that's part of it," McCarthy said. "I'm not talking about being buddy-buddy. And I told the players that. I'm just trying to promote as much player-coach interaction as possible."

HarveyWallbangers
03-29-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't think he's great in interviews necessarily, but I like what comes out of this guy's mouth. I'll tell you what: I've been a believer in him ever since the NFL Channel showed a Packers practice last year. I was impressed. He's much more of a leader than I thought from his interviews. He can be a real hard ass at practice, but not a complete hard ass like Parcells, and will show some love for the players. I think players respond to a coach that will be honest with them (maybe even hard on them at times), but also show that they are on their side. You need that nowadays. Those types make a good manager in any company.

packinpatland
03-30-2007, 07:01 AM
He definetly showed alittle 'Holmgren' at times when Favre came off the field after throwing a interception or bad pass.

gbpackfan
03-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Blue collar, no-nonsense type of guy. I have to admit, I hated the choice when TT hired him but I was wrong. He seems like a great choice and the type of guy fans can relate to. Time will tell if he is the real deal.

Merlin
03-30-2007, 11:07 AM
I am also one of those who wondered why McCarthy was hired. His resume wasn't impressive at the time but I also held out my opinions because normally in a coaching selection like McCarthy (like Holmgren), there is always something we don't know. I was more pissed that he canned Sherman. Sure, Sherman wasn't a great GM but he was a good coach. He had his negatives like any coach but you can't argue his success. Sherman would probably be a great GM if he wasn't a coach also. I think his biggest downfall is his complacency in veteran players. He doesn't coach them well.

LL2
03-30-2007, 11:15 AM
He definetly showed alittle 'Holmgren' at times when Favre came off the field after throwing a interception or bad pass.

He did? I never saw him give Favre a stare down or say some like “What the hell was that?” It seems like he always bit his lower lips and paced the sideline. I’ll never forget the game where Holmy grabbed Schreoder by his face mask and chewed him out on MNF. Holmy apologized, but I bet players were intimidated by him after that.