PDA

View Full Version : Packers want Turner

Brando19
03-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Mike Sullivan, of the North County Times, reports the Green Bay Packers are highly interested in acquiring San Diego Chargers restricted free agent RB Michael Turner.

This was just posted on kffl. Notice it says they're highly interested. This would be awesome! I'd rather go after Moss, but Turner is a stud as well.

I also found this just now on foxsports.com:
Chargers restricted free agent Michael Turner was a hot name over at the NFL meetings in Phoenix this week. Teams looking for a starting running back are assessing whether to make a run at trading for Turner or filling their needs in the late-April NFL draft. "There was a lot of activity," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said. "Very interesting. We'll see what all the talk means. "There's legitimate interest on a few teams' part. A couple others are asking." Smith declined to discuss specifics in terms of interested teams or what offers he has fielded. But it's known that the Green Bay Packers are highly interested in Turner. The Buffalo Bills also have interest.

Fritz
03-30-2007, 02:01 PM
I am highly interested in Drew Barrymore. But I don't think i can get her, and if I could, it would cost me an awful lot.

Rastak
03-30-2007, 02:02 PM
I am highly interested in Drew Barrymore. But I don't think i can get her, and if I could, it would cost me an awful lot.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brando19
03-30-2007, 02:02 PM

A big difference between your dreams and the Packers...they can make it happen. They have lots and lots of MONEY!

Rastak
03-30-2007, 02:03 PM

A big difference between your dreams and the Packers...they can make it happen. They have lots and lots of MONEY!

They'll need a nice hefty draft pick to make this happen. It isn't about money, it's about a trade in this case.

Fritz
03-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Sigh.

gbgary
03-30-2007, 02:06 PM
They have lots and lots of MONEY!

do they really? i think it's just sick rumor.

Brando19
03-30-2007, 02:12 PM
They have lots and lots of MONEY!

do they really? i think it's just sick rumor.

Yeah you wouldn't think so going by this offseason. And about the draft picks...we have a few. It just depends on whether we're willing to give up a 2nd round pick or if they're looking for a 1st.

Fritz
03-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Perhaps if he could be had for a second it would be a better investment than Marshawn Lynch in the first, if he's even available when GB picks.

cheesner
03-30-2007, 02:17 PM

I think his comment was more geared to probability and not opportunity. The both are just as likely to happen - which I agree with.

Bretsky
03-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Chargers' Turner being pursued by Bills, Cowboys, Titans, Jets

By Kevin Acee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
March 31, 2007

The Chargers are dealing with four suitors for backup running back Michael Turner, sources said, and Turner's agent has spoken with at least one of those teams in hopes of getting a long-term deal done.

Buffalo, Dallas, Tennessee and the New York Jets have shown interest in acquiring the restricted free agent. All appear willing to part at least with a first-round draft pick, but sources indicated the Chargers are still seeking two picks – in the first and third rounds.

The New York Giants, who need a running back, also could enter the fray before next month's draft. A source said yesterday that contrary to numerous media reports, the Green Bay Packers have not shown interest in Turner.
Turner and his agent, Bus Cook, will have much say in where Turner ends up. No team is going to give up draft picks for Turner, 25, without first securing a long-term deal with him.

“I know in our mind what it's going to take to get him signed,” Cook said yesterday.

The agent denied contact with any teams, but multiple sources said he had spoken with at least one of the interested clubs. That is believed to be the Bills, who pick 12th in the first round and have two third-round picks.

The tender the Chargers placed on Turner earlier this month requires any team that signs him to a free-agent deal to give the Chargers a first-and a third-round pick. The Chargers would also have the right to match any offer Turner received, but with league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson as their starting tailback, they would instead take the draft picks.

As General Manager A.J. Smith knew it would be, the first-and-third tender has been too steep for potential suitors. While Smith is content to keep Turner (at a cost of $2.35 million for the 2007 season) as a fill-in and insurance, he is willing to trade Turner for the right price.

According to sources, the Chargers could be open to a first-rounder this year and a third-rounder next year, or a third this year and a first next year. Any team signing Turner as a free agent would have to give up the first and third in this year's draft, which would nearly wipe out the first day of its draft.

Smith declined to comment other than to say the price “is a one and a three right now. I'm flexible to all thoughts.”

Turner has not been attending the Chargers' voluntary workouts the past two weeks for fear of injuring himself before a trade can be worked out.

The Chargers would lose Turner for virtually nothing after the '07 season. On the other side, Turner and Cook also must decide whether they want to risk injury while playing out this season.

Brando19
03-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Nice article Bretsky.

Kinda makes me sad, though. :(

vince
03-31-2007, 09:30 AM
I find it hard to believe the Cowboys are pursuing Turner. They have two promising backs now. What would they do with Turner?

The Jets too, for that matter.

Bretsky
03-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Bills and Tennessee make very good sense.

Ted Thompson, in order to swing this , would have to be making a very bold move and giving somewhat of an unproven back a big contract.

I just don't see it happening. I would take the trade down scenario to go from 16 for 30 and Turner in a second though. But then TT has to pay Turner Big Money then. Anybody see that happening ?

If I was the Chargers GM, I'd want to leak things to the press in order to try to maximize the draft choices I get back.

I doubt SD gets anything more than a first round pick for Turner, and maybe only a second rounder only or a 2nd and undisclosed pick based on performance.

The Chargers know next year they will lose him for nothing, and a team would have to be idiotic not to continue to remind them of that.

B

Brando19
03-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Well...I guess since this has about a 1 in a million chance of happening...I'm on the Marshawn Lynch bandwagon.........oh yeah.........bring on MOSS TOO!

esoxx
03-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Mike Sullivan, of the North County Times, reports the Green Bay Packers are highly interested in acquiring San Diego Chargers restricted free agent RB Michael Turner.

Yah, I'm sure they are "interested" in acquiring Turner. The problem comes with how to acquire him, which means draft picks...which means really, we're not interested.

mmmdk
03-31-2007, 11:47 AM

Yah, I'm sure they are "interested" in acquiring Turner. The problem comes with how to acquire him, which means draft picks...which means really, we're not interested.

Yup, as simple as that!

woodbuck27
03-31-2007, 12:44 PM
A source said yesterday that contrary to numerous media reports, the Green Bay Packers have not shown interest in Turner.
Turner and his agent, Bus Cook, will have much say in where Turner ends up. No team is going to give up draft picks for Turner, 25, without first securing a long-term deal with him.

There you go then. :(

mmmdk
04-01-2007, 10:20 AM
This is from rotoworld.com:

"The latest Green Bay trade talk" reportedly has the Packers sending the No. 16 pick to San Diego for Michael Turner and the No. 30 choice.

A Turner rumor that actually makes sense. The Bills and Titans may also have interest in acquiring the Chargers' restricted free agent backup.

I don't buy it though - where did Packers get a 30th pick from?

vince
04-01-2007, 10:23 AM

"The latest Green Bay trade talk" reportedly has the Packers sending the No. 16 pick to San Diego for Michael Turner and the No. 30 choice.

A Turner rumor that actually makes sense. The Bills and Titans may also have interest in acquiring the Chargers' restricted free agent backup.

Tha Packers have the 16th pick. The Chargers have Michael Turner and the 30th pick.

mmmdk
04-01-2007, 10:27 AM

Tha Packers have the 16th pick. The Chargers have Michael Tucker and the 30th pick.

Wow, I heard that Chargers wanted a 1st and a 3rd...how did that translate into a mere swap? Let's do it but TT won't...plus I don't think Chargers will do it.

Spaulding
04-01-2007, 10:47 AM
I find it hard for the Packers to offer much for Turner. Not that I don't think he's a talented runner, it's just that with him being a UFA next year he's likely available next year without the cost of high draft picks. I can't see San Diego placing a tag on him next year and tying up almost 15mil in him and Tomlinson for 2008 which means he'll go to the highest bidder.

Next year's draft looks to be stacked at RB and thus if we can get by this year with Morency and a FA pick up when further cuts occur in June along with a decent draftee (i.e. Bush in the 3rd or 4th if his leg looks like it will heal in time for the regular season so he can split time with Morency) I think TT might opt for the future running back next year (Slaton, McFadden, etc.).

I hope TT takes Nelson at #16 or drops down several spots to then draft Olsen, Jarrett, or Griffin.

The Shadow
04-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Depends on the price.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-02-2007, 01:17 PM
From PFT today

POSTED 1:09 p.m. EDT, April 2, 2007

TURNER VISITING THE TITANS

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Chargers running back Michael Turner, a restricted free agent, is visiting the Tennessee Titans on Monday.

Turner has been tendered at the highest level, which means that, if the Titans were to sign him to an offer sheet, the Chargers would have the right to match it. If the Chargers choose not to match the offer, they would receive Tennessee's first-round and third-round selections in the April 28-29 draft.

Another possibility would be for the Titans and Chargers to swing a trade for something less than a one and a three.

The Bills also are reportedly are interested in Turner. And there has been talk of a possible effort by the Packers to trade for him.

All three teams need a starting tailback; the Titans cut Travis Henry (who signed with the Broncos), the Packers lost Ahman Green to the Texans, and the Bills traded Willis McGahee to Baltimore.

mmmdk
04-05-2007, 08:58 AM

Tha Packers have the 16th pick. The Chargers have Michael Tucker and the 30th pick.

Wow, I heard that Chargers wanted a 1st and a 3rd...how did that translate into a mere swap? Let's do it but TT won't...plus I don't think Chargers will do it.

This from rotoworld.com:

The Titans reportedly aren't considering giving up a first-round pick for Michael Turner.

The restricted free agent would cost a first and a third to sign to an offer sheet, but no one is interested for that price. It's up to Chargers GM A.J. Smith how flexible he is with compensation. A second-rounder and a later pick could possibly get it done.

Told ya!

woodbuck27
04-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Posted April 3, 2007

Packers are interested observers in race for Turner

By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Packers haven't entered the Michael Turner sweepstakes, but where San Diego's backup running back lands could determine whether another veteran ends up in Green Bay.

Turner, a restricted free agent, was in Tennessee on Monday to visit one of several teams that have inquired about signing him or trading for him.

The Packers aren't one of those teams, Turner's agent, Bus Cook, said Monday afternoon.

But a deal with Tennessee could pave the way to Green Bay for free agent Chris Brown, who was close to a deal to return to the Titans before the team set up visits this week with Turner and Corey Dillon.

"Obviously, the (zone) blocking scheme up there (in Green Bay) fits Chris' style," Ryan Morgan, one of Brown's agents, said Monday afternoon.

"He's a big back, but he's also pretty explosive and has got pretty good wheels. He can make that (first) cut and go."

Like the Titans, who released Travis Henry in the offseason, the Packers need a starting running back because Ahman Green bolted for the Houston Texans. Turner, 25, is the biggest name left on the market.

A former fifth-round draft pick who has 941 yards rushing in three seasons playing behind NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson, Turner received a one-year, $2.35 million tender from San Diego, meaning any team that signs him would owe the Chargers first- and third-round draft picks. But San Diego is believed to be willing to deal Turner for less — perhaps a second-round pick and a player — because he will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2007 season.

"I have to believe Turner will be dealt before the draft. San Diego is right on the verge (of a Super Bowl run),"

said agent Doug Hendrickson, who represents another free-agent back, Kevan Barlow.

"Could they play it safe in case something happens to (Tomlinson)? Yeah. But if you have a chance to get value and fill another need (through a trade), you can find another back in the middle rounds to replace (Turner)."

Still, the Packers have shown little or no interest. They're believed to be sizing up the top backs in the draft — Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson and California's Marshawn Lynch are considered first-round locks — and maintained publicly that they're comfortable with starter-by-default Vernand Morency.

It seems they've also kept an eye on Brown — Morgan said he has had a number of discussions with members of the Packers' personnel department, most recently last week — who continues to draw interest from the Buffalo Bills and two other teams Morgan wouldn't name.

Buffalo and the New York Jets reportedly are interested in Turner as well.

Brown, 25, rushed for a combined 1,918 yards for the Titans in 2004 and '05 — including 148 yards and two touchdowns in a 48-27 Titans win in 2004 at Lambeau Field. But he battled injuries and totaled only 156 yards in five games last season. He is dividing his offseason training between Tennessee and Chicago, Morgan said, adding his client will be flexible about contract terms if he can compete for a starting job.

"We're not putting any time restraints on it," Morgan said. "We want to make sure the deal we do is the right deal."

Hendrickson said he hasn't heard anything from the Packers about Barlow, 28, since preliminary talks last month. Buffalo, Tennessee and the Indianapolis Colts remain in the picture, Hendrickson said.

Dillon, 32, reportedly will fly to Tennessee today and visit with Titans officials on Wednesday.

Press-Gazette reporter Pete Dougherty contributed to this report.

woodbuck27
04-05-2007, 03:07 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070403/PKR01/704030539/1989

Whats this young fan have to say? Just thought I'd toss this in the salad. woodbuck27 :)

Another confirmation of TED not knowing what to do Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:04 am

Usually the reliability of sports blogs is on the same level as political reporting from most major media networks. Erratic. Driven by rumors. Set in an agenda. Occasionally accurate. And most of all, they rush to conclusions.
Lately such websites have been flooded with rumors that Green Bay is interested in San Diego restricted free agent running back Michael Turner. But a couple days later, Turner’s agent ‘Bus’ Cook indicated the Packers weren’t pursuing Burner Turner, who is being courted heavily by Tennessee and Buffalo.

The Chargers set the restricted free agent’s price tag bizarrely high, demanding first- and third-round picks as compensation, not to mention the hefty pay day Turner would expect at a new location. But a trade is negotiable. After staying silent in free agency, Green Bay has more than enough dough to accommodate Turner. If the Titans snag Turner, though, Chris Brown would become the free agent front-runner for the green and gold.

It’s time for Ted Thompson to play ball.

You can’t even compare Turner and Brown. Would you rather purchase a Ferrari with only 50 miles on it, or a cheap beat-up Ford pickup that’s seen the Auto Body shop more than the highway? Turner has maximized every opportunity thrown his way, while the latter has been sidelined in 27 games over the past three seasons.

Backing up NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson, Turner has improved in each of his three seasons. Last year he rushed for 502 yards and a scary 6.3 average. Turner busted loose for a 20-plus yard gain seven times in only 80 carries. Ahman Green only mustered three such runs on 266 carries. And Chris Brown? Once on 41 carries in an injury-plagued 2006 season.

Vernand Morency may be starter-worthy as head coach Mike McCarthy insists. But what’s wrong with two explosive backs? As Dumb and Dumber’s Lloyd Christmas said, ‘We’re in the Rockies.’

It’s time to strap on an extra pair of gloves, Ted.

A Turner-Morency combo immediately creates a power shift in the NFC North’s rushing attacks since Chicago dealt Thomas Jones to the New York Jets. McCarthy has preached a smashmouth mentality from Day 1. Here’s his chance to establish the most feared arsenal of backs in the NFC North.

Thompson would have to abandon his M.O. of nurturing draft picks, but for Green Bay to become elite Thompson must occasionally stray from his comfort zone, i.e., splurging on Charles Woodson last year.

Acquiring Turner is an opportunity he can’t refuse. Before Cook’s comments, a handful of online rumors stated that Green Bay and San Diego were considering swapping first- and third-round draft picks, which would bump the Packers down 14 slots. Big deal. Turner is worth the 16th pick straight up, where Marshawn Lynch is universally slotted to go.

Turner has proven he’s ready to be an NFL starter. What has Marshawn Lynch accomplished?

Well, he was accused of choking and slapping his girlfriend, covering her mouth and forcing sexual activity. Maybe his talent is overwhelming, but if Thompson bypasses Randy Moss because of character issues he should also avoid Lynch.

Remember when Larry Johnson was stuck behind Priest Holmes? Shaun Alexander behind Ricky Watters? Steven Jackson behind Marshall Faulk? All three current stars were forced to earn a starting gig from established Pro Bowlers. Playing in spots drilled them to take full advantage of each and every one of their carries. Opportunistic mindsets resulted. Only fed late game appetizers, Turner has grown a chip on his shoulder.

“I prepare myself as a starter each week,” he said.

“I go out there with a whatever-it-takes attitude. I have the speed to get outside and turn the corner and can run people over, too. Whatever it takes.”

Turner has been teased with five carries a game for three seasons now. Unlike a roll-of-the-dice rookie, an immediate impact is almost guaranteed from Turner. His game is bred for the zone blocking scheme. Whereas the upright Brown gallops without punch, the squatty Turner instinctively makes sudden cuts, and bursts into the open with a purpose.

It’s not too late for Thompson to make a hard push. The Packers’ weapon-starved offense cannot enter training camp with their current lineup. To get to the next level, Thompson must take a risk even if it takes draft picks and a multimillion dollar contract.

For over a month, Green Bay has wisely shied away from overspending on mediocrity. Gradually however, the talent has thinned. When you see Kevan Barlow atop a running back availability list, you know the cupboard has been picked bone dry.

But Turner is the real deal. Somebody very soon will capitalize on the NFL’s next can’t-miss back. Thompson should rejoin the Burner Turner Sweepstakes before it’s too late ... by any means necessary.

Editor's note: Tyler Dunne is a student at St. John Fisher College in Rochester

Comment woodbuck27:

I endorse this young fans thoughts because he makes plain solid sense :)

Come on Ted. Get in the game. You either pay em now or pay em later.

Brando19
04-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Apparantly Turner's price has just went down in terms of draft picks...this is from PFT:
An industry source tells us that the San Diego Chargers might be willing to accept a trade proposal for running back Michael Turner that includes less than a first-round pick.

Though Turner is tendered as a restricted free agent at the highest possible level, which would require compensation in the amount of a first-round pick and a third-round pick, no one is expected to give up that much for a guy who'll be unrestricted in 2008.

Per the source, G.M. A.J. Smith could be ready to accept a second-round pick this year and a second-round pick or a third-round pick in 2008 for Turner's rights.

The thinking is that Smith wants to end up with three picks in the first two rounds of this year's draft, so that the team can fill needs at receiver, safety, linebacker, and guard with guys who are ready to play right now.

Turner has visited the Titans and the Bills this week.

pbmax
04-06-2007, 11:30 AM
If PFT has a legit price, it puts the lie to young Tyler Dunne's suggestion that Turner is worth the 16th pick in the first round.

This year's 16th pick is worth 420 points. Say the Packers finish middle of the pack again, then next year's third round pick is worth 70.

At 490 points, Michael Turner would be worth the 9th pick in this year's second round.

But the question remains, why spend this money on a RB in this system when medicore backs have been tremendous in it? Running back is the most fungible position on the field. And Turner will want to redo the contract or you are paying to rent him for one year.

While he is less of a runner, I think we see Brown signing a prove to me year to year contract to hold the fort down waiting for Ted to draft the permanent successor to Ahman.