PDA

View Full Version : America the beautiful

MadtownPacker
03-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Last night I was driving on the fast lane of a 2 lane highway here in Cali. I approached an overpass at about 70 MPH. This is a place I have driven by many times. From about a mile back I could see police lights on the over pass. You could tell it was an accident and I keep on my way. As I got under the shadow of the overpass I saw something in the roadway and tried to steer around it but was unable to clear it.

My driver side front tire instantly blew up and my car pulled in that direction onto the gravel median of the highway. The tire caught and started to slide but I held tight and drove through it. It took me about 150-200ft to come to a complete stop. Luckily no cars where around me or they might have crash from all the dirt.

I looked in front of me and they was a white Chevy truck with a flat too! I got off and cussed a grip. I called 911 and started walking back to the overpass and then I saw this there.

http://www.packerrats.com/images/road1.jpg

http://www.packerrats.com/images/road2.jpg

If you look in the background where it came from.

So I look up at the police who are looking down at me and they ask if Im OK. I hyped to the max and let them know Im cool and if they saw me hang tight when I got the blow out. One of them replied that he sure did. While still on the phone I grabbed the rail and pulled it back. I figured someone might hit it again. That would be good and they might also bash into my car. It was hell of heavy and I kinda had to drag it sideways. Today my arm and leg are sore as hell. The pic above is where I moved it.

Turns out some drunken idiot hit the side of the walkway rail and knocked out a big piece. The PD tells me the highway patrol has to come out because it happened on the highway. At this point the driver of the truck has come back and is all pissed off about his truck. We go back to our vehicles and then a highway patrol gets there and we walked back to the overpass. He ends up telling us that he will file a report if we want but it is going to be us at fault for not driving at a speed safe enough to avoid hitting something. I wasn’t surprised and we both declined to file a report.

So the cop holds his flashlight as I put on my spare. I dont even know if the car has damage underneath but it drove fine. Today I went by there and there is still a big ass piece hanging over and the piece I hit is still on the side of the road. I called to tell them about it and ask who I should file a claim with and was told to contact Caltrans. I told them that they should have looked out for public safety after the first car hit it. Then I was told the officers might not have seen it. I told them it was more then one car and that I had moved it myself. They said they appreciated that and gave me the number to there claim dept but said it wasn’t gonna be their thing.

So I out a tire and rim for now unless there is more damage. Not too bad I guess. I am gonna see about pursuing this but I doubt I will get compensated. I do intend on finding out when the DUI driver goes to court. Im gonna ask if there is any way this chump can get a month in jail for almost killing two people.

Am I wrong?

MJZiggy
03-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Wouldn't it be the job of the first officer on the scene of an accident to check and make sure there are no traffic hazards caused by the original wreck? I would think if that piece came from the overpass that 1) it's really lucky it didn't land on a passing car and kill someone and 2) the officer had to realize it had gone somewhere and they should figure out where before some crazy Mexican ran the damn thing over on a dark highway and 3) move it out of the way. You're right. They're lucky it didn't cause a more serious accident with injuries. I'm sure the prosecutor will love having you in court.

GrnBay007
03-30-2007, 03:21 PM
That could have been really serious. Glad you're OK.

packinpatland
03-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Holy Sh*t!!
We're lucky you're still here!!!

MadtownPacker
03-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Man Im a pro. If I was white I would have been a NASCAR driver. :p

MJZiggy
03-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Yes, it sounds like it was a good bit of driving...I'm glad you didn't kill yourself.

Green Bud Packer
03-30-2007, 05:05 PM
low ride er

oregonpackfan
03-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Be grateful you are in one piece, Madtown!

It would be a shame if the only time some of us had the opportunity to meet you would be at your Memorial Service!

Seriously, hitting debris at freeway speeds is potentially fatal. I am glad you were not injured, or worse yet, killed.

Little Whiskey
03-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Man Im a pro. If I was white I would have been a NASCAR driver. :P

juan pablo montoya. nascar cup driver....not white

imagine blowing that tire at 200 mph heading into a corner...nascar driver

glad you are okay.

MadtownPacker
03-30-2007, 08:17 PM
OPF - Would you guys throw joint in my coffin? :P

That dude is a cheater. Isnt he the one the cut off his own teammate? I consider him a disgrace.

Give me that type of car and I bet I could do it too!

So none of you have any legal advice on this?

Little Whiskey
03-30-2007, 08:35 PM
OPF - Would you guys throw joint in my coffin? :P

That dude is a cheater. Isnt he the one the cut off his own teammate? I consider him a disgrace.

Give me that type of car and I bet I could do it too!

So none of you have any legal advice on this?

legal advice....don't run over shit in the road :lol:

any vehicle with a flat steering tire=bad time

when it comes down to winning....there are no teammates.

GBRulz
03-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Your insurance should cover it and if there is to be a claim about the other driver being at fault, YOUR insurance company will go after them, not you. At least that is how it would work here.

I'm glad you're safe though

HarveyWallbangers
03-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah, your insurance company will go after that drunk hard. You know they sure as the hell don't want to pay your bills.

digitaldean
03-30-2007, 10:13 PM

We can call you Madtown Montoya!

More importantly, glad to hear you're OK.

Charles Woodson
03-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Madtown-first thought was OMG i hope his car isnt scratched, na glad your okay meng

the_idle_threat
03-31-2007, 01:23 AM
Damn good thing you're a pro. Very happy about that.

I don't think I agree with Eric Estrada that you and the other guy in the pickup should have been faulted for traveling too fast to avoid that particular item in the road. It's a freeway after all, and the item wasn't easily visible, nor was it avoidable unless you swerved dramatically or came to a complete stop. What do they expect ... people to drive 30 mph at night? Wouldn't that be below the speed minimum on the freeway? :?

I dunno what a rim and tire cost, but it might be a small enough claim that your insurance may pay it and not bother to go after another party for compensation. Not sure about how they would view the cost/benefit there.

Although it definitely sucks that you almost suffered a serious accident and you could have been hurt or killed, I don't think a civil claim can be based on 'almost' or 'could have been.' You have to suffer some sort of "actual" injury.

It's very true what was said before on this forum that the law has a way of looking out for the least capable among us ... if you were not a pro, and had crashed the car instead, you would almost certainly have a fat claim. As it stands, you have what appears to be a small claim for a tire and a rim, and perhaps a battle to prove causation since the patrolman is apparently inclined to blame you for driving at highway speed on the highway. :x

Might have to file this under "shit happens" and be very glad you came out ok. But then again, it's my inclination to shoot down claims rather than propose them, so perhaps someone else would have a different view? I certainly don't know California law at all.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Screw the car, that can be fixed. Glad your OK man.

Kiwon
03-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Am I wrong?

Never.

IHMO, someone reported the overpass damage to the city in the first place. Once the city is aware of the situation they are responsible for repairs to the overpass and debris cleanup. If you and the first driver had been seriously hurt, who would have been responsible? - The city for failing to clear a hazard.

The lighting can't be that bad that they couldn't look down and see debris from the overpass. The first thing anyone from the city should do once they arrive on the scene and survey the damage is to look and see that nothing fell into the road. I'd say someone just dropped the ball and it's fortunate that no one was injured or killed.

Oh boy, I just can't wait for government-run health care! :shock:

Joemailman
03-31-2007, 07:40 PM

Apparently tacos and Tequila don't slow reflexes the way beer and brats do. :lol:

MadtownPacker
04-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't think I agree with Eric Estrada...

Might have to file this under "shit happens" and be very glad you came out ok.Haha, you mean Ponch?

Yeah, I have chalked it up as a minimal loss. Cost me $20 for the rim at the junkyard (it was stock) and $25 for the tire replacement (had road hazard warranty). I wasnt trying to cry lawsuit. Dont want the money, just want some to have to answer for this.

Kiwon's post sums it up best and is really my only complaint. Why didnt anyone get that crap out of the way after the white truck hit it? I took me 10 seconds to drag it off the road. If the police job is to "Protect and Serve" the did it very poorly that night.

MadtownPacker
04-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Apparently tacos and Tequila don't slow reflexes the way beer and brats do. :lol:Want to know the secret?

The chili keeps you alert. :twisted:

Partial
04-01-2007, 06:32 PM

We can fix him too.

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

retailguy
04-01-2007, 07:17 PM

We can fix him too.

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

#5. #5 is alive....

the_idle_threat
04-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Haha, you mean Ponch?

Yeah, I have chalked it up as a minimal loss. Cost me $20 for the rim at the junkyard (it was stock) and $25 for the tire replacement (had road hazard warranty). I wasnt trying to cry lawsuit. Dont want the money, just want some to have to answer for this.

Kiwon's post sums it up best and is really my only complaint. Why didnt anyone get that crap out of the way after the white truck hit it? I took me 10 seconds to drag it off the road. If the police job is to "Protect and Serve" the did it very poorly that night.

Ya, I figured you talked to Ponch. :mrgreen: Didn't think he'd be such a douchebag, though. Covered his ass by blaming you.

I agree with you, Kiwon, and others that the police up top had reason to know there was a hazard and they dropped the ball. But I don't know what you can do about it to make them take notice outside of suing their asses, and for reasons stated above that's probably not a realistic option.

Maybe file some kind of formal complaint, but I'll bet nobody is held accountable from that. Probably goes straight into the round file. :evil: