PDA

View Full Version : A Draft thought...

ND72
03-30-2007, 03:19 PM
So since I did the Mock, I've had about 1 other thought since then....Ted Thompson will draft Defense round 1. I really have the feeling that he will want to find the top defensive player there, and keep building his defense. A big reason for this, and all of you can disagree, Aaron Rodgers is our future...his BEST offense, is going to be a great defense. The better our defense and be, the better the offense can become. So I honestly think Teddy is going to look defense first. Thoughts?

Brando19
03-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Nah, I think Teddy knows if he doesn't look offense, he'll get his ass beat...or fired.

MJZiggy
03-30-2007, 03:24 PM
I kinda have that same feeling. The world is expecting him to draft a runningback and when does he ever do what the world expects him to (AJ Hawk excepted)

OS PA
03-30-2007, 03:29 PM
So since I did the Mock, I've had about 1 other thought since then....Ted Thompson will draft Defense round 1. I really have the feeling that he will want to find the top defensive player there, and keep building his defense. A big reason for this, and all of you can disagree, Aaron Rodgers is our future...his BEST offense, is going to be a great defense. The better our defense and be, the better the offense can become. So I honestly think Teddy is going to look defense first. Thoughts?

What about drafting a guy like Reggie Nelson in the first, trading for Michael Turner and then drafting someone like David Ball or Sidney Rice(If he falls into the third)?

ND72
03-30-2007, 03:33 PM

What about drafting a guy like Reggie Nelson in the first, trading for Michael Turner and then drafting someone like David Ball or Sidney Rice(If he falls into the third)?

That would be a dream:) I was actually listening to a local sports talk radio, and they said SD will want draft compensation for Turner...how bout this, we swap 1st round picks, of which we probably have the pick of maybe a Nelson still at 30(maybe, doubtful, but maybe), Michael Griffin, Brandon Merriweather, Darrelle Revis, Jon Beason, and maybe a top WR that drops...just a thought. But as is now, if we get turner, and then add a top D player at 16, then take a top end WR/TE in round 3...that's an A+ for Teddy.

pittstang5
03-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Quite frankly, I don't know what TT is going to do, however, I'm not going to be surprised if he takes Defense in the first round. Everyone is saying that if Lynch is available at 16, the Packers are going to take him. I'm not so sure. Yes, they need a RB and Lynch would be a nice addition to a sub-par group. BUT, no one realizes this is Ted Thompson here. He's going to take the best person possible...which might not be Lynch, it could be someone else.

At that position (no. 16) I'm not too worried who TT takes. There will be quite a few guys available that will be able to start and contribute immediately. However, there are defintely some guys and/or postions that I don't want TT to look at in the first round. Positions - DT and TE. DT because the Pack has solid guys already, no need to waste a pick here. TE - the only first round TE is Olsen and I don't think he's a good value at 16....maybe in the 20's but not at 16. The players - Ginn, Meachem and Leon Hall. Meachem's drops scare me. Ginn, I just don't like, can't explain it. Hall, again I can't explain, I just don't like.

vince
03-30-2007, 04:22 PM
I know a lot of people don't think there's much possibility for Michael Turner to become a Packer, but I think someone is going to drop to 16 that the Chargers can get excited about and TT will swap #1's and get Turner on draft day.

edit: I guess I should have read ND's post. He beat me to it...

Rastak
03-30-2007, 04:51 PM
I know a lot of people don't think there's much possibility for Michael Turner to become a Packer, but I think someone is going to drop to 16 that the Chargers can get excited about and TT will swap #1's and get Turner on draft day.

They tendered him at a 1 and a 3. I'm not so sure a mere swap will get him.

b bulldog
03-30-2007, 05:28 PM
tALK OF A SWAP OF FIRST ROUNDERS AND US GIVING THEM OUR 3RD NEXT YEAR is what I am hearing. Drafting Nelson would be a great pick in round one, in round two I'd take what ever WR is available that is rated highest on our board and I'd take Pittman in round three to compete for the starting TB position. An inexperienced QB would love a dominant D and a strong running game.

ND72
03-30-2007, 05:29 PM

It's what the Redskins are offering for Briggs...not that it'll happen, and I know from 31 to 6 is a big jump...BUT. I think they'd do it. It's all up to the team.

b bulldog
03-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Smith is holding for strong compensation for anyone interested in Turner.

HarveyWallbangers
03-30-2007, 05:33 PM

Not sure what it would take to get him, but just because they tendered him at 1 and 3 doesn't mean that's what it will take to get him. What is the value on the chart for that swap?

b bulldog
03-30-2007, 05:34 PM
No chance of them getting a one and a three.

b bulldog
03-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Come draft day, both the bolts and the Raiders are going to have to do some soul searching and ask themselves what they can live with in regards to compensation for their two players.

retailguy
03-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Come draft day, both the bolts and the Raiders are going to have to do some soul searching and ask themselves what they can live with in regards to compensation for their two players.

Yeah, I agree. they both get traded.... but for 2008 draft choices, I think.

The Shadow
03-30-2007, 08:55 PM
I think if a clearly better defensive player is avail. at #16 Thompson will choose him.

HarveyWallbangers
03-30-2007, 09:15 PM

Not with him being an UFA next year. The Chargers GM said they'll start with getting a 1 and 3, but even he sounded like that wasn't likely.

digitaldean
03-30-2007, 10:15 PM
I would not be surprised if TT trades down with somebody and get a safety like Nelson.

Big Ern
03-31-2007, 06:01 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if TT went with an end in round one - possibly Adam Carriker from Nebraska if he is still there. Landry will be gone by 16 and they should be able to pick up a comporable S or RB in round 2 or 3.

Rastak
03-31-2007, 08:17 AM

Not with him being an UFA next year. The Chargers GM said they'll start with getting a 1 and 3, but even he sounded like that wasn't likely.

Yea, I agree a 1 and a 3 is out of the question. I'm just not sure what they'd accept. I'm thinking a 1.

Partial
03-31-2007, 08:45 AM
Seems really expensive to me. Even swapping firsts. I guess I have my head in the sand because I was thinking giving up a third.

Joemailman
03-31-2007, 09:07 AM
According to the draft value table, trading 1st round picks with San Diego would be the equivalent of giving up the 20th pick in the 2nd round. Not bad if you think he can be your starter.

However, I must confess I haven't really seen Turner play much. I see he is listed at 5-10, 237. That is kind of big for a guy running in a zone blocking scheme. I'm just wondering if he would be a good fit here. The ability to make quick cuts is more important than the ability to run people over.

cheesner
03-31-2007, 09:19 AM
If we go Defense in the first, it should be a safety. The defense has a weak link at safety. If we improve that one position, our defense becomes vastly improved. Over any other position on both sides of the ball, improvement at safety goes the farthest to making the team better.

I wouldn't be surprised if we draft a safety in the 1st (provided Nelson is there) and expect it as a first day pick. If not, perhaps he feels one of our young pups is going to step it up this year, and the players he drafter were significantly better than any safety at their position.

ND72
03-31-2007, 11:20 AM
According to the draft value table, trading 1st round picks with San Diego would be the equivalent of giving up the 20th pick in the 2nd round. Not bad if you think he can be your starter.

However, I must confess I haven't really seen Turner play much. I see he is listed at 5-10, 237. That is kind of big for a guy running in a zone blocking scheme. I'm just wondering if he would be a good fit here. The ability to make quick cuts is more important than the ability to run people over.

Turner was considered one of the best zone runners in college his senior year. MOST of his plays are zone plays (from the whole 3-4 games I've seen of SD).

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Turner is built like a brick shithouse, but he isn't a big back in the Najeh mold. He has very good speed. I think he could fit in any scheme, but he's a quick, one cutter. He doesn't dance around.

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2007, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if TT went with an end in round one - possibly Adam Carriker from Nebraska if he is still there. Landry will be gone by 16 and they should be able to pick up a comporable S or RB in round 2 or 3.

I like Carriker. He's really moved up the board. There's not a lot of big DEs. He's one of the few, but has athleticism to match. Plus, he was productive.

woodbuck27
03-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Nobody knows what Ted Thompson will do.

I predict he'll hang his ass in a sling in 2007, if he doesn't address the teams needs in the running game by the time the draft is over. We need help at RB.

He can go with the status quo at RB and look really really bad, or he can do the sensable thing and make a move that provides us with more than camp fodder. We need real talent added at RB.

If he made a move such as swapping first round picks with the Chargers to acquire M. Turner (provided he believed in his talent) and even gave up some more to make that trade happen I'd feel more comfortable as a fan.

I will not support going with the status quo and failure in OUR running game.

GO PACKERS !