PDA

View Full Version : WAYNE SIMMONS STORY- TOUGHEST GB LINEBACKER I EVER SAW

Bretsky
03-30-2007, 10:14 PM
THOUGHT I'D SHARE INTERESTING TIDBITS OUT OF AN RECENT WAYNE SIMMONS ARTICLE GIVING THIS GUY HIS DUE

Wayne Simmons grew up with his mom struggling through poverty. The house was heated with a wood stove. For household warmth, as a teenager Wayne would take an ax into the nearby woods, chop down a tree, drag it home, and then chop and splinter the wood. One day at 12, Wayne came home to his crying mother. She had no money, and told Wayne she felt it best to put him up for adoption.

Wayne would hear nothing of it; he promised his mother that if she would get him though this one day he would take care of her.

Wayne did just that. As a Green Bay Packer, Simmons was more than a football player to his teammates. With his outgoing personality, and propensity for practical jokes, he helped keep the locker room loose and always had plenty of friends on and off the team. He's mimic everybody around him and always had people in stitches.

But off the field Simmons was no angel. He liked to drink, drive fast, spend his money, listen to loud music, and date multiple women. "IF you didn't know him, you'd think he was crazy. But he was the most loyal individual I'd ever met", said Derrick Mayes.

Reggie White was at the opposite end of the spectrum, which is why they sometimes clashed. Before one game, while on the IR, Wayne Simmons had his boom box blasting before a game, and Reggie told him to turn it down. Simmons and White began to argue, and as the issue blew out of proportion the two began to wrestle and were separated by teammates. The next day all was forgotten.

Harry Sydney commented" Simmons backed down from nobody; those two gained mutual respect for each other."

Simmons also inspired White at times during games. Pepper Burgess commented" You knew when Reggie was Mad during the game because he'd tell us to cut the tape off his hands and then he'd go tear it up".

During the Super Bowl against New England, Mayes stated that Wayne Simmons was cussing Reggie White out in the huddle to try to motivate him after he played the first half with no sacks and no tackles. Immediately after Simmons talk, White stormed over to Pepper Vurruss and had the tape cut off, freeing up his hands and arms for an all out attack on Drew Bledsoe. White went on to have three sacks in the fourth quarter.

Simmons didn't mind confrontation and fed off the challenge. In the 1997 Packers Media Guide, he stated, "When I line up accross from you, I will destroy you and I will crush you." And that exemplifies Wayne Simmons on the playing field.

Simmons liked living and playing in Green Bay; he didn't mind the cold. He bought a house in Green Bay and shared a very close relationship with defensive coordinator Fritz Shurmur. Linebackers coach Bov Valesente also was fond of Simmons and stated, Once he got his hands on a tight end, he could rag doll him. He had a quick twitch about him. He could play in the nickel because he had the speed to cover. He had all the tools and he had great attitude and disposition in the locker room.

There seemed to be only one big downside to Simmon's Green Bay experience, but it was one that proved to be his undoing. He liked everything about Green Bay except Mike Holmgren. Maybe the source of his uneasy relationship with Holmgren was the impersonation of the often Stoic Holmgren that Simmons use to do for his teammates. "He had everybody in stitches. The only one who didn't like it was Mike. Wayne was light and carefree. Mike was serious."

Holmgren didn't have patience for players that made mistakes off the field, and Simmons didn't help himself in that regard. He received a DWI in 1997, and then was accused, but never charged of sexually assaulting an 18 year old. That may have sealed his fate.

Despite resigning Simmons after that occurance after Simmons could not find a suitor, Green Bay traded Simmons six games into the 1998 season to KC for a fifth round draft pick. While Holmgren may not have been sorry to see Simmons go, Fritz Shurmur cried as seeing the player he treated like a son, leave. "He could take the dimmest of days and uplift everybody" linebacker Keith McKenzie told reporters after Simmons left.

Harry Sydney, who left coaching in 1999, said the Packers immediately missed Simmons and in 2005 still hadn't found his equal. "He has not been replaces since he left. He was the true nasty, mean, hard core physical presence."

Simmons life wasn't the same after he left Green Bay. In 1998 in a Monday night game against Denver, he was part of a defense that had five personal fouls in one drive that led to a touchdown.....he was made to be a scapegoat the next day when he was cut.

But that incident exposed one trait, and that was his mean temper. He was signed by Buffalo to finish that season, and then retired after that season.

In 1999 Simmons decided to return to KC and open a good sized restaurant and night club. The nightclub, 50/50 on Main, was a struggle.

Despite consistent crowds lined up around the block to get in, he struggled to make any money. One time, he opened the safe only to find several thousand dollars missing. Then in February of 2002, Simmons showed up to find all of the clubs expensive sound equipment gone. Only a few of his employees and best friends had keys to the restaurant, and he was again taken advantage of. The club closed in 2002.

The theft also extended to Simmons personal property. He once returned from a regular vacation to find everything in his apartment gone. Neighbors stated they believed he was moving as a Mayflower truck pulled up and cleared everything out. While nothing could be proved, only a few of his friends knew he was going to be out of town that week.

In the summer of 2002, Simmonds told his mother he was coming home to South Carolina. Unfortunately he never made it. On August 23rd, after a night out drinking, Simmons was speeding and driving recklessly in his Green Mercedec Benz and lost control of his auto at about 2:45 am.

The death left close friend Tom Gardo sad, but not shocked. Simmons had started drinking often again. He didn't have a death wish, but if he told me once he told me several times that he was not going to live a long life.

"I need to live now", Gardo quoted Simmons

motife
03-30-2007, 10:26 PM
great story.

Ray Nitzschke was no slouch. Not to mention Ted Hendricks, Dave Robinson and Fred Carr.

I like bad boys. Keith Richards, Bob Knight, George Jones. They're the kind of people who make America great.

Bretsky
03-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Those were before my time.

The LB I remember the furthest back was Mike Mad Dog Douglass.

Simmons is the toughest I've ever seen in green n gold

I want another Wayne Simmons.

motife
03-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Remember this spectacular play? When he stole the ball away on what should have been a Touchdown pass?

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/arc/image/1006/siminter1006.jpg

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/arc/image/1006/siminter31006.jpg

Here's a little more from the 10th anniversary articles :

In late September of 1996, the Green Bay Packers visited the Minnesota Vikings' Metrodome. Vikings running back Amp Lee ran toward the flat, and Packers outside linebacker Wayne Simmons grabbed Lee by the shoulder pads and swung him around like a helicopter's propeller before slamming him to the turf.

"It was unreal," linebacker George Koonce said. "It was so devastating what he did."

Like he did all season long, Simmons forced running backs to think twice before crossing his area. He recorded 67 total tackles, 21/2 sacks and two forced fumbles in 1996, but his true impact could not be discerned in statistics. Defensive end Reggie White and safety Eugene Robinson may have served as the defense's spiritual leaders, but Simmons added the intimidating presence.

"He brought that meanness and toughness to the Green Bay Packers' defense," Koonce said. "I never played with an individual that played the game with the mean streak that Wayne Simmons played with."

Simmons, who collected 250 total tackles during his 41/2 years with the Packers, demonstrated that mean streak during his tackle of Lee. He did not receive a penalty or personal foul for the play, but running back Edgar Bennett, a friend of Lee's from their days at Florida State, objected to it. Bennett approached him on the sidelines.

"Wayne, you didn't have to do him like that," Bennett said. "That was my college roommate."

Simmons replied: "Whenever I'm out there on the field, that's the way I play."

The 1993 first-round draft pick may have played harder and faster than most, but he also drove his car at excessive speeds during the tragic morning of Aug. 23, 2002.

At 2:45 a.m. that day, Simmons, driving by himself, sped his green Mercedes-Benz through traffic on Interstate 70 in Independence, Mo., and then veered off the highway. His Mercedes rolled over several times before landing in a ditch and catching fire.

Witnesses attempted to remove Simmons from the burning vehicle but could not unfasten his seat belt. Firefighters then arrived to put out the fire, and he was taken to Independence Regional Health Center. Doctors there pronounced the 32-year-old Simmons dead.

"To have his life cut that short was really very tragic," Packers CEO Bob Harlan said. "It certainly was a waste of what could have been."

Simmons passed away just outside of Kansas City where he started 18 games between 1997 and 1998 for the Chiefs. The Buffalo Bills claimed him off waivers in 1998 before releasing him in February of 1999.

Simmons joined the Chiefs after the Packers traded him in October of 1997, and the former Clemson star made Kansas City his post-NFL home. Simmons, whose mother operated a small restaurant called "Dot's Diner" in Hardeeville, S.C., ran a midtown restaurant and nightclub called 50/50.

On the field Simmons not only took down opposing ballcarriers like Lee, but also had a knack for playing the passing lanes and smothering receivers. In 1996, he had one interception and five passes defended.

"He would absolutely shut down a tight end," Robinson said. "(He was) one of the most underrated players that we had on that team."

The Packers last won the Super Bowl just 10 years ago, but two defensive starters -- Simmons and Reggie White -- from that team already have passed away.

"It's a terrible thing to have to ponder," Harlan said. "Both Wayne and Reggie were a big part of the Packers' family. They were huge losses for this franchise."

Former NFL linebacker Wayne Simmons, a first-round pick in 1993 who won a Super Bowl with the Green Bay Packers, was killed in a single-car wreck Friday, police said.

Simmons, 32, was speeding and weaving through traffic when his car went off Interstate 70 about 2:45 a.m., witnesses told police.

The car rolled several times and landed in the ditch, with its engine catching fire, and witnesses tried to pull out Simmons, who was alone in the car, but they could not undo the seat belt.

Firefighters arrived, put out the fire and pulled Simmons out. He was taken to Independence Regional Health Center and later pronounced dead.

Simmons' identity was confirmed by police Sgt. John Passiglia. An autopsy was planned, the medical examiner's office said.

Simmons, a 1993 first-round pick out of Clemson who won a Super Bowl ring with the 1996 Green Bay Packers, was traded to Kansas City in 1997.

The Chiefs cut him the day after a 30-7 Monday night loss to Denver in 1998 in which Simmons and teammate Derrick Thomas were called for a total of five personal fouls on the Broncos' final touchdown drive.

Thomas, a close friend of Simmons, died in 2000 of complications after being injured in a traffic accident that left him partially paralyzed.

"It's such a shock,'' Chiefs defensive end Eric Hicks told KCTV-TV. "Wayne was so energetic and tough. ... He was a very intense guy and I think one of the best linebackers in the country.

"He had a good career. It's really sad.''

esoxx
03-30-2007, 11:15 PM
His best moment was his stick on the 49er on the swing pass that caused a fumble which Craig Newsome picked up and ran in for a TD. It was the first score of the game and a catalyst in the Packers surprising '96 playoff game win at Candlestick. That game was the launch pad for their Super Bowl runs the next two seasons.

My personal favorite is Simmons twirling Amp Lee around in the Dome before planting him into the turf.

Tough bastard.

pacfan
03-31-2007, 07:42 AM
His Super Bowl XXXI entrance was awesome, very cool, very intimidating....

b bulldog
03-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Reggie and him got into an arguement before a game in the 96 season. Reggie hated the slurred filled music Simmons was listening to and told him to turn it off. Wayne said no and things started to escalate. They started getting in each others face when teammates finally jumped in. They separated and went out to play the game. On Waynes first play on D, he hit the RB with a crushing blow and let out a blood curdling scream. After the game, the two talked and Wayne asked Big Dog if he would have hit him and Reggie said that he would have hurt him real bad, he wasn't kidding either. After that, Simmons toned down his music and also acknowledged Reggie as the leader and the lockerrrom enforcer. Fritz looked at Simmons as his son. wayne and Fritz had a special relationship and some of the other Dplayers were actually jealous of that relationship. His favorite player to play against was Brent Jones. He tore him up real good :) Simmons had the tude that we now need on our D. We need a bad ass!

woodbuck27
03-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Wow that news sadened me.

I really liked the way that Wayne Simmons represented the Packers.

There were alot of just linebackers between Ray Nitschke and Wayne Simmons.

KYPack
04-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Reggie and him got into an arguement before a game in the 96 season. Reggie hated the slurred filled music Simmons was listening to and told him to turn it off. Wayne said no and things started to escalate. They started getting in each others face when teammates finally jumped in. They separated and went out to play the game. On Waynes first play on D, he hit the RB with a crushing blow and let out a blood curdling scream. After the game, the two talked and Wayne asked Big Dog if he would have hit him and Reggie said that he would have hurt him real bad, he wasn't kidding either. After that, Simmons toned down his music and also acknowledged Reggie as the leader and the lockerrrom enforcer. Fritz looked at Simmons as his son. wayne and Fritz had a special relationship and some of the other Dplayers were actually jealous of that relationship. His favorite player to play against was Brent Jones. He tore him up real good :) Simmons had the tude that we now need on our D. We need a bad ass!

This incident actually took place the next year, '97. Simmons was playing the rap tape in Reggie's boom box which was used for prayer tapes & gospel only. It was the only sound player allowed in the Packer locker room by Holmy. So Wayne decided to crank-up one of his raunchy-ass rap tapes in it. The was a no-no as Reggie had installed a no-swearing rule in the Packer locker room. (Mike Holmgren was fined as much as anybody on that one.)

Reggie soon picked up on Simmons actions and quickly Reg and Wayne were rolling around the locker room. Various accounts differ as to how it was broken up, but I've heard several versions that Daddy Fritz had to stop his two "sons" from killing one another.

One way or another, fighting with Reggie White is a major no-no, and in a week or so Wayne Simmons was having his mail sent to KC.

One of the neatest things I saw about Wayne was a rambling interview by Brett in '99 or 2000. It was just a local TV interview and Brett was asked about the Super Bowl teams, etc. When the subject of Wayne Simmons came up, Brett said, "Oh I was scared of him, a lotta guys were"!

Vintage Favre & vintage Wayne "the Train" Simmons.