PDA

View Full Version : Marviel Underwood

b bulldog
03-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Underwood is ahead of schedule and will be able to go full go once camp opens. Kevein barry is yet again over weight.

woodbuck27
03-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Underwood is ahead of schedule and will be able to go full go once camp opens. Kevein barry is yet again over weight.

We all surely hope that Marviel Underwood will stay healthy and be a player.

packers11
03-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Good news on underwood... hopfully someone will trade for barry :roll:

Joemailman
03-31-2007, 12:42 PM
It is guys like Underwood who will determine whether Thompson's decision not to aggressively pursue free agents this year was the correct one. Barry is an afterthought, and probably has only an outside chance of making the team anyway.

The Shadow
04-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I like Underwood.
He could play a big part this season.

Merlin
04-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Underwood has great potential. Problem is, he is showing he has a glass jaw. AND he is a safety. Not sure I like that combination.

Barry? Who knows with that guy. I "think" that he may have shown a lot of potential in the ZBS before his injury.

KYPack
04-02-2007, 07:57 AM
I like Underwood, too.

I dunno, tho. He is small for a safety and little safeties get hurt. It will be interesting to see if he can get on the field and stay there.

wist43
04-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Underwood should be penciled in as the starter...

I like Culver as well... if both of those guys stay healthy and show some improvement - Manuel will probably be cut.

Don't expect TT to draft a safety early.

MadtownPacker
04-02-2007, 09:26 AM
I thought Culver looked decent in the limited action he got. I look forward to him moving up the roster. He is very smart and can make plays. DIdnt he have a pick in limited action?

Cheesehead Craig
04-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Here he comes to save the daaaaay!

http://www.comicrelated.com/icon/movie/underdog.jpg

Pacopete4
04-02-2007, 09:31 AM
We all wanna see us solve our saftey problem by bringing someone in for Manuel, but maybe we dont realize we have a good saftey thats on our team already whether its underwood or culver or even someone else. This position is one where at least we have some options.. RB, TE, WR is where we are very, VERY thin...

LL2
04-02-2007, 10:27 AM
I sure hope Underwood and Culver get better this year and contribute greatly. From what I remember Culver was showing some potential and he did have a pick or two in limited action. Will potential turn into reality consistent performance? I think our front seven needs to continue to improve as well. A great front seven can turn a mediocre secondary into a better one.

Merlin
04-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Culver showed a lot of potential when he played. More potential than Manual. Don't go holding your breath that TT will cut him. He has yet to cut any of "his guys" that start.

retailguy
04-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Gosh, Underwood is one of those guys that flashes great potential, but always seems to get hurt... Can he stay healthy? Can he continue to improve... everytime I read something about this guy, I think "Chris Johnson".

Heck, who knows? Culver looks promising too, but enough not to sign a free agent? Don't know about that. I guess I like insurance and see the value of it.

Hopefully in week 3 of the preseason, Underwood DOES NOT end up on the injury report.

Packnut
04-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Culver showed a lot of potential when he played. More potential than Manual. Don't go holding your breath that TT will cut him. He has yet to cut any of "his guys" that start.

I'd say the odds of Manuel starting next season are 3-1 in favor of.

pittstang5
04-02-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure why some people are thinking Underwood has injury issues. He's had one major injury so far that happened in pre-season and sidelined him for the entire 2006 season. In 2005 he played in all 16 games, mainly on Special teams and spot duty here and there. His college career also doen't suggest an injury history, he started all 36 games from 2002 to 2004.

In training camp and preseason of last year, I remember reading some very positive things about Underwood. He seemed to always be around the ball. If he would not have gotten hurt, imo, there was a good chance he would have started over Manuel.

I look forward to seeing what this kid can do this year. I'm pulling for him to beat out Manuel for the other starting safety spot.

Patler
04-02-2007, 12:37 PM

Tell that to Whitticker, Klemm and Robert Thomas. All guys that TT brought in, who started a half year or more, and were let go.

pittstang5
04-02-2007, 01:14 PM

Tell that to Whitticker, Klemm and Robert Thomas. All guys that TT brought in, who started a half year or more, and were let go.

True, very true. But, Whitticker, Klemm and Robert Thomas weren't signed to a five year deal like Manuel was, plus they couldn't stay healthy or didn't fit the system. TT has invested more into Manuel, although it isn't alot in today's standards, it's still more than what the three you have mentioned. I believe TT gives Manuel more time to see if that investment pays off. I'm not sure I agree with it. Clearly if the younger players come on stronger than Manuel - bu bye Manuel.

Patler
04-02-2007, 01:27 PM

True, very true. But, Whitticker, Klemm and Robert Thomas weren't signed to a five year deal like Manuel was, plus they couldn't stay healthy or didn't fit the system. TT has invested more into Manuel, although it isn't alot in today's standards, it's still more than what the three you have mentioned. I believe TT gives Manuel more time to see if that investment pays off. I'm not sure I agree with it. Clearly if the younger players come on stronger than Manuel - bu bye Manuel.

If you dissect the contracts, he doesn't have all that much more invested in Manual than he did in Klemm

Manual:
1.5 million signing bonus over 5 years
.5 million roster bonus in 2006
.960 salary in 2006.
1.260 salary in 2007.

If he is released before this season, he will have cost the Packers 2.960 million. Even if he plays in 2007, and is then released, the total investment would be 4.2 milion.

Klemm cost 3.2 for the two seasons he was signed for.