PDA

View Full Version : packers don't want meachem

red
03-31-2007, 03:45 PM
PFT has a little line up giving the names of teams meachem will be visiting brfore the draft

green bay was not on that list

Tennessee WR Robert Meachem will make pre-draft visits to the Titans, Bill, Patriots, Rams, Vikings, Chargers, Chiefs, and 49ers.

looks like he might be out of the picture for us

retailguy
03-31-2007, 03:47 PM
PFT has a little line up giving the names of teams meachem will be visiting brfore the draft

green bay was not on that list

Tennessee WR Robert Meachem will make pre-draft visits to the Titans, Bill, Patriots, Rams, Vikings, Chargers, Chiefs, and 49ers.

looks like he might be out of the picture for us

The guys we have are fine. :wink:

We just need to be PATIENT... :roll: :twisted:

MJZiggy
03-31-2007, 03:47 PM
I can't say I'm sad...

retailguy
03-31-2007, 03:49 PM
I can't say I'm sad...

Ok, I'll bite. Why not?

red
03-31-2007, 03:52 PM
well you know, we can count on ferguson

so i guess we really don't have a problem

he might have the potential to be a potential deep threat, if he can stay healthy, gain some speed and actually live up to his potential for the first time, ever.

we're fine

retailguy
03-31-2007, 03:55 PM
well you know, we can count on ferguson

so i guess we really don't have a problem

he might have the potential to be a potential deep threat, if he can stay healthy, gain some speed and actually live up to his potential for the first time, ever.

we're fine

Quite honestly, Carlyle Holliday is the next Jerry Rice. I can feel it.

Perhaps if Ted stopped trying to say NOTHING and started saying SOMETHING, he might find that there isn't really much difference.

Joemailman
03-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Meacham is talented, but he does have his detractors, mainly due to a tendency to drop passes. Sporting News has him rated 10th among WR's, which is a bit lower than a lot of draft sites, but perhaps TT feels the same way about Meacham. Here is what Sporting News says about Meacham:

Robert Meachem
WR, Tennessee

War Room analysis
Strengths: Has good size and speed. Is faster than he appears. Shows a good burst off the line. Shows good hands when he maintains concentration. Catches passes in stride to spark big plays. Makes would-be tacklers miss in the open field. Can line up anywhere. Is tall and durable.

Weaknesses: Must improve concentration in running routes and catching the ball; drops easy passes when he doesn't focus. Must get tougher, especially in going over the middle. Drops passes when sensing oncoming defenders. Is not a good blocker. Struggles to escape jams.

Bottom line: Meachem is at his best working with a cushion and along the sidelines but is quite apprehensive running routes over the middle. He will struggle to get on the field unless he improves his mental toughness and focus.

MJZiggy
03-31-2007, 04:07 PM
I can't say I'm sad...

Ok, I'll bite. Why not?

Because we just drafted our #2 receiver last spring and he shows a lot of promise, and there's so many other positions that we have a far greater need for. I would much rather see a safety or blocking tight end that can CATCH the stupid ball in the red zone. Besides, if we draft Meachem, there's less chance we get Moss.

And further, the kid's only a junior and redshirted his freshman year so that means he's only had two seasons of college ball under his belt and everyone thinks that makes him ready for the NFL?

Joemailman
03-31-2007, 04:12 PM
But don't you understand, Zig? If, according to PFT, TT doesn't want Meacham, then Meacham must be the best WR in the draft. That Jennings pick last year was just a fluke.

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2007, 04:14 PM
The fact the Packers aren't bringing him in has nothing to do with whether they will draft him or not. Absolutely nothing. Some teams bring guys in they have no intention of drafting. They'll act like they are not interested in other guys at all to throw teams off. It's all a part of the game this time of year. If the Packers have gotten the word that he's a good kid, they may decide they don't need to bring him in.

retailguy
03-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Bottom line: Meachem is at his best working with a cushion and along the sidelines but is quite apprehensive running routes over the middle. He will struggle to get on the field unless he improves his mental toughness and focus.

Hmm. There are those that say that this is the type of WR we are missing.

we got guys that can go over the middle. We don't have a sideline guy and a deep threat.

red
I can't say I'm sad...

Ok, I'll bite. Why not?

Because we just drafted our #2 receiver last spring and he shows a lot of promise, and there's so many other positions that we have a far greater need for. I would much rather see a safety or blocking tight end that can CATCH the stupid ball in the red zone. Besides, if we draft Meachem, there's less chance we get Moss.

And further, the kid's only a junior and redshirted his freshman year so that means he's only had two seasons of college ball under his belt and everyone thinks that makes him ready for the NFL?

actually ziggy, he still has 3 years of playing under his belt. redshirting means you sit out a year, but the next year you are still considered a freshman.

but the rest of your argument is sound

joe, i've read his drops were a thing he had his first 2 years and fixed last year. but i just read that, i didn't see it. so it might be a non issue at this point, or it could still be there. but i've read where the drops are gone

HarveyWallbangers
And who knows... maybe they already interviewed him at the combine.

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Who cares if we have two good WRs. You need more than that. Plus, Driver is 32-33 years old. We need more good WRs.

retailguy
03-31-2007, 04:19 PM
But don't you understand, Zig? If, according to PFT, TT doesn't want Meacham, then Meacham must be the best WR in the draft. That Jennings pick last year was just a fluke.

Hmm. Not sure if this was a "dig" directed at me, or your attempt at funny sarcasm. Assuming it's #1, then, I've never complained about Thompson's drafting "prowess". I am unsure that history will judge him to be the "marvel" that many here in these rooms think he is, but that's a different topic.

My two beefs against Thompson are, 1, you can't believe a word that comes out of his mouth, and 2, he couldn't care less whether we win now or not.

Other than that, I have no problem with him. He seems to be an excellent judge of talent, but a crummy leader/manager.

I'm a leader/manager, but I can't judge talent worth beans.

There's room in the world for both, but when I watch him utilize his sub-standard leader/management skills, I have a raised eyebrow.

MJZiggy
03-31-2007, 04:19 PM
We need more good WRs.

Not as much as we need more good TEs and safeties...can we get decent WR prospects in the 2nd or 3rd round, or is Meachem it for talent at the WR position this year?

b bulldog
03-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Just cause he hasn't visited GB doesn't mean anyuthing in regards to us passing on him.

retailguy
03-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Not as much as we need more good TEs and safeties...can we get decent WR prospects in the 2nd or 3rd round, or is Meachem it for talent at the WR position this year?

Can't we get decent "anything" prospects in the second/third round?

RashanGary
03-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Right, just becuase we dont' visit doesn't mean we don't have interest. That said, TT's drafting history gives him a high degree of trust IMO. Whatever he does - I'll consider better than anythign I or anyoen here could do - no matter how big the mouth.

retailguy
03-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Just cause he hasn't visited GB doesn't mean anyuthing in regards to us passing on him.

That's true. But, you gotta hope that they at least deemed the guy worthy of a visit at some point.

Hopefully, Harvey is right and they talked with him at the combine.

When you look at what he does well, it does mesh with what McCarthy says he wants to do, for what that's worth.

ND72
03-31-2007, 04:38 PM

Ball Droppers?

retailguy
03-31-2007, 04:58 PM

Ball Droppers?

maybe you shouldn't have removed the quote I was responding to. Wait, then your comment wouldn't have worked.... would it?

Bretsky
03-31-2007, 05:35 PM
I can't say I'm sad...

That's because you've never seen him play :lol: :lol:

Bretsky
03-31-2007, 05:37 PM
The fact the Packers aren't bringing him in has nothing to do with whether they will draft him or not. Absolutely nothing. Some teams bring guys in they have no intention of drafting. They'll act like they are not interested in other guys at all to throw teams off. It's all a part of the game this time of year. If the Packers have gotten the word that he's a good kid, they may decide they don't need to bring him in.

I'd agree with this as well; they could have already spoken to him and might be comfortable with him. AROD was never brought into GB if I recall.

retailguy
03-31-2007, 05:38 PM
I'd agree with this as well; they could have already spoken to him and might be comfortable with him. AROD was never brought into GB if I recall.

True, but ARod was never supposed to be around at 24 either. Meacham is supposed to be around.

Bretsky
03-31-2007, 05:43 PM
For those who keep discussing the dropsies I sure wish you'd have seen Meachem dominate the soft hands competition on ESPN against his fellow all star RB's, TE's, and RB's.

The two players that stood out and dominated that competition were Meachem and Olson.

If the dropsies were part of poor concentration in the past that can be improved

But to say he doesn't have the ability to catch the ball with his hands away from his body is just pure garbage. The few in here who watched that competition of fast balls from a Jugs machine will attest to the same thing.

It made a few players with hands of Steele look silly; but Olson and Robert M excelled.

MJZiggy
03-31-2007, 05:48 PM
I can't say I'm sad...

No, but I have seen Bubba and Marquand play... :(

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2007, 06:00 PM
I can't say I'm sad...

No, but I have seen Bubba and Marquand play... :(

I don't think you can draft for need that much in the first round. Sure, you generally take a guy at a need position (WR, S, RB, TE, LB, CB, etc.), but I don't think you reach for a guy at TE and S because you need them the most. Otherwise, you end up drafting Bubba Franks in the first round. I don't think there's a TE worth taking at #16, and I'm not sure there's a S worth taking that high after Landry. Maybe Nelson.

b bulldog
03-31-2007, 06:08 PM
I think Nelson is a solid prospect but as it looks, one could trade down and still get him. Drafting for need in round one = John Michaels :(

Joemailman
03-31-2007, 06:25 PM

we got guys that can go over the middle. We don't have a sideline guy and a deep threat.

You can get guys like Paul Williams or Craig Davis on the 3rd round if you're looking for a guy whose main strength is as a deep threat. I just wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on a guy who is apprehensive about going over the middle.

Lurker64
03-31-2007, 07:46 PM
How many of the players that TT has drafted in the his two previous drafts did Thompson bring in for a visit beforehand? I seem to recall last year, for example, he didn't bring in really anybody, but yet somehow he still drafted people. Funny how that works.

bigcoz75
03-31-2007, 07:52 PM
EH, one year/workout wonder. Not overly impressed.

Guiness
03-31-2007, 09:52 PM

Hmm. Not sure if this was a "dig" directed at me, or your attempt at funny sarcasm. Assuming it's #1, then, I've never complained about Thompson's drafting "prowess". I am unsure that history will judge him to be the "marvel" that many here in these rooms think he is, but that's a different topic.

My two beefs against Thompson are, 1, you can't believe a word that comes out of his mouth, and 2, he couldn't care less whether we win now or not.

Other than that, I have no problem with him. He seems to be an excellent judge of talent, but a crummy leader/manager.

I'm a leader/manager, but I can't judge talent worth beans.

There's room in the world for both, but when I watch him utilize his sub-standard leader/management skills, I have a raised eyebrow.

Holy Cripes - how fucking self-centered are you? Does everything have to revolve around your little world??? Or are you just trying to light something off with someone else?

The guy made a comment. Did quote you or anything. Even mentioned PFT. I'm not sure at what point you thought he was slighting you.

retailguy
03-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Holy Cripes - how fucking self-centered are you? Does everything have to revolve around your little world??? Or are you just trying to light something off with someone else?

The guy made a comment. Did quote you or anything. Even mentioned PFT. I'm not sure at what point you thought he was slighting you.

Wow. that's a passionate response. I thought by saying I wasn't sure, meant I wasn't sure. I'm not trying to "light something off with anyone", just reading the hidden sarcasm. Considering the only people who'd posted to that point were myself, Red and Zig, it seems possible he was responding to me? NO?

For heavens sake... I just don't know anymore.

retailguy
03-31-2007, 11:47 PM
You can get guys like Paul Williams or Craig Davis on the 3rd round if you're looking for a guy whose main strength is as a deep threat. I just wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on a guy who is apprehensive about going over the middle.

Fair point, Joe. If it's a big issue, let him go. But the combine drill went well, and the final college season was pretty good, so I thought it was worth a chance. Also, I remember a certain WR by the name of Walker who didn't like going over the middle as a rookie either. He had a "drop" problem too, and that all ended up ok.

Partial
04-01-2007, 01:33 AM
I doubt this guy is a Packer. Reasoning?

TT seems to put a premium on seniors and four years of college production and experience last year.

red
04-01-2007, 08:23 AM

Fair point, Joe. If it's a big issue, let him go. But the combine drill went well, and the final college season was pretty good, so I thought it was worth a chance. Also, I remember a certain WR by the name of Walker who didn't like going over the middle as a rookie either. He had a "drop" problem too, and that all ended up ok.

not the best example IMO.

it took walker a few years for it to finally "click"

it is true and a good point that we can find a deep threat later. we don't need another #1 WR right now, we just need a solid #3 thats a deep threat

we need our bernard barrien, and it would be a giant plus if he could return kicks

Bretsky
04-01-2007, 08:41 AM

it is true and a good point that we can find a deep threat later. we don't need another #1 WR right now, we just need a solid #3 thats a deep threat

we need our bernard barrien, and it would be a giant plus if he could return kicks

I've read my shared about Meacham; the two WR's he's been comparare to by Scouts have been Javon Walker and Michael Irvin because of his size and playmaking ability. He could be a bust, but the upside is there.

The Shadow
04-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Meachum seems to hear footsteps over the middle.

ND72
04-01-2007, 11:01 PM
For those who keep discussing the dropsies I sure wish you'd have seen Meachem dominate the soft hands competition on ESPN against his fellow all star RB's, TE's, and RB's.

You're talking about shorts and a t-shirt. I only care about what a guy looks like in pads during a game. In games, his rep is to drop balls.

Partial
04-01-2007, 11:12 PM

i'll take any player in this draft with a #1 if they "click" as well as walker :D

Bretsky
04-01-2007, 11:57 PM

You're talking about shorts and a t-shirt. I only care about what a guy looks like in pads during a game. In games, his rep is to drop balls.

I also noted in that post that the dropsies were probably due to concentration and that can certainly be improved. It's was obvious he caught the ball well with his hands in shorts. That's my assumption whether it's right or wrong regarding the improvement, and it may certainly be wrong.

I too had read he had too many dropsies early on; I think that did improve last year.

LaFours
04-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Meachum seems to hear footsteps over the middle.

Yes, but he rides pissed off bulls in his spare time...something's doesn't seem to fit here.

CaliforniaCheez
04-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Don't read too much into visits.

The Packers did not meet with Hawk or Colledge last year.