PDA

View Full Version : Walker given OK to seek trade

Rastak
04-27-2006, 09:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2423722

This should allow him to negotiate an extention with another team and allow a trade to actually happen.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 09:44 AM
The Saints? We're furthest along in talks with the Saints? Really?

Pack0514
04-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Let him play with McKenzie. They would get along great.

Partial
04-27-2006, 10:01 AM
I'd take that 34th pick.... or the second :lol:

but not the second if we have to give up walker and our first. F that.

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 10:05 AM
There are some really nice young players early in the second. We could get Davis/Joseph/Ryans just as an example.

Partial
04-27-2006, 10:14 AM
I'd rather completely shore up two positions that are terrible. The O-line and the LBs.

In the first three rounds, they could go Hawk, Joseph, Hodge/Jackson, and Eslinger.

They will get 4 immediate starters right there. That would be awesome.

It's very possible that draft would put them in the playoffs. They left their positions which are of strength as is, and built the depth and turned their shitty positions into those of strength. Sounds like the perfect idea to me.

Tarlam!
04-27-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't see Eslinger as a starter, sorry. He's a brittle build. Gimme Wells any day, or the other kids we got.

I hate this news. TT should tell Javon to find a nice seat to view the games from. He doesn't need to hold out, cuase he aint allowed to play.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Eslinger will be a good starter in the right system. I watched him dominate at the college level for 4 years, and I see him being a Ben Hamilton caliber player in a zone blocking scheme. He's undersized, but that's okay for the scheme. He's a good athlete, is perfect for the scheme, and he's a high class individual. You can't have enough Aaron Kampman types on the team. Like Kampman, he's got better skills then he's given credit for.

Tarlam!
04-27-2006, 12:30 PM
I have a lot of respect for knowledge Harv, so I'll bow on this, but his slight build worries me a lot and I like Wells' motor.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Denver's starting OC = Tom Nalen - 6'3" 286
Atlanta's starting OC = Todd McClue - 6'1" 286

Eslinger - 6'3" 292

I'm betting that Thompson and the brass would love to get Eslinger at some point in this draft. Chris Chester is a hell of an athlete also, so is Nick Mangold. The top 3 OCs, and a guy like Patrick Ross, fit this scheme. Most of the other OC prospects are plodders.

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2006, 12:43 PM
I think the compensation for the PAckers will be conditional picks in 2007. Although maybe not, if deal is being done this week.

The hold-up might be Walker being able to strike a deal. This is all very complicated, a deal this week is hardly a sure thing.

I think this is a postive development. I hope Walker is not able to work out a deal. Maybe Thompson's willingness to let Walker leave will change his opinion about GB. Time is needed.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 07:29 PM
HOLD THE PRESSES!!! ESPN 0-for-2 today

Packers | Thompson says trade report not accurate
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:41:41 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson said an ESPN report that the Packers have given WR Javon Walker permission to seek a trade is inaccurate. The Packers have given teams permission to visit with Walker, but Thompson said it was just a part of the process of fielding offers from other teams. Asked if the odds were that Walker would be traded, Thompson said, "No. I would not think the odds are in favor of that happening. We're just following up on things. I don't necessarily feel this will end in anything. We're going through the process." Thompson did not say that he wouldn't trade Walker, only that it was unlikely it would happen.

Joemailman
04-27-2006, 07:48 PM
TT isn't going to say a trade is likely because he doesn't want it to seem that he is desperate to get rid of Walker. He wants teams to think that if their offer isn't to his liking, he'll just hang on to Walker.

CyclonePackFan
04-27-2006, 07:57 PM
A trade for Walker is "unlikely" because it's highly unlikely that any team will be willing to give up a 1st rounder for a WR who's coming of major ACL repair. If someone does offer it, though, you can bet TT will take it.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 08:04 PM
This isn't about whether a trade is likely...I think TT released this information because he wanted it known that Walker does not have permission to shop himself, keeping TT in charge of the situation. Walker can only go where TT says he can, thereby eliminating the possibility that TT makes a deal and Walker wants to sign with someone else. Or that Walker wants to go and TT doesn't feel like it right now etc.

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Ted Thompson said an ESPN report that the Packers have given WR Javon Walker permission to seek a trade is inaccurate. The Packers have given teams permission to visit with Walker, but Thompson said it was just a part of the process of fielding offers from other teams.

Ted is really splitting hairs here! He sounds like Clinton. Walker is "in the process of fielding offers" but "not seeking a trade."

Is Walker having sex with those GMs or isn't he?

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 10:30 PM
No, he point is that WALKER can't seek a trade, but THOMPSON is fielding offers. Walker's in the process of sitting on his ass waiting to see what TT lets him do and visiting the teams that TT tells him to. It's all about control of the commodity.

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2006, 10:37 PM
No, he point is that WALKER can't seek a trade, but THOMPSON is fielding offers.

But all the news outlets say that Walker is visiting with Denver & N.O. He got on the jet plane.

Walker is going to have an understanding with the team before Ted wastes his time. Ted only has say in one year, 2005.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 10:51 PM
He's going to NO and Denver because TT is talking trade with them. TT allowed him to visit those teams and that's what TT seems to want everyone to understand. They're working with him until he says Walker can talk to a team.

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2006, 10:56 PM
oh, man. Any deal will have to be a three-way consensus. thompson is in no more control than any of the other parties.

I smell some neo-nazi saluting of authority figures. In other words, I smell Tarlam.

If Walker doesn't agree to a long-term deal, the teams aren't going to give-up a high draft pick for a one-year cripple.

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Something just occured to me.

Teams were offering picks and players for Walker before they even checked out his knee. It really makes you wonder what kind of offers Thompson is going to get if his knee is 100%. Steve Smith came off the same injury last season and became the NFL's best WR.

Another good thing about Walker is that his body is young in football years. He hasn't been tackled or twisted too many times and although he is going on 29 he is a tireless worker and likely has 5 or 6 great years left in him.

I will really miss Javon Walker because I think he is a great player, but I think teams are going to be drooling over him if his knee is 100%. Once Javon takes his shirt off I think there is going to be more than one GM with a secret hard-on.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 10:59 PM
True, but if he wants out of Green Bay as badly as he says he does, he'll talk to whoever TT tells him to. If he makes major demands, the team won't make the trade and Javon's on the bench in Green Bay. He's an idiot, but surely somebody's told him this (TT).

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2006, 11:01 PM
i think there is a window of opportunity for Walker to return to GB.

And I don't think Thompson is playing hard ball in anyway with Walker - good move.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Rumor has it that Denver has offered Lelie and a late round selection in the 2006 draft.

I would take this deal only if the Broncos offered a conditional pick in 2007, based on games played or something. It could be as high a second round pick or as low as a fifth round pick. But right now just Lelie and second day pick is not enough for Walker.

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2006, 11:06 PM
I'd like Walker to find no deal to his liking, and seriously consider staying in GB next season.

The next best idea is a conditional 1st in 2007, dropped to a lower pick if Walker is a bust.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 11:08 PM
i think there is a window of opportunity for Walker to return to GB.

And I don't think Thompson is playing hard ball in anyway with Walker - good move.

I think Thompson's best move here was made at his press conference this week. He said that the less said about it the better and said he'd be happy to have him back as would the team (funny he didn't mention the fans. :? )

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 11:11 PM
I was thinking the same thing H.H.

If teams could have gotten Smith for a late #1 last year they would be doing back flips right now. Walkers value might be higher than we think if his body is perfect and his knee checks out.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Thompson doesn't speak for the fans. He is above that.

He has detached himself from the Packer fan base.

mraynrand
04-28-2006, 12:54 AM
"If Walker doesn't agree to a long-term deal, the teams aren't going to give-up a high draft pick for a one-year cripple."

----

That's what Cal Tech thought when they signed Stephen Hawking to a one year deal.

Tarlam!
04-28-2006, 01:21 AM
I smell some neo-nazi saluting of authority figures. In other words, I smell Tarlam.

Yawohl! This is the type of personnel leadership that has been dearly needed and finally, we will have satisfaction.

TT, the leader of the German Arm of the Packer Rats salutes you!

Now, if you'd only let him rot for about 16 games, I feel I could convince my sister to name her son after you....

Fritz
04-28-2006, 05:50 AM
although he is going on 29 he is a tireless worker and likely has 5 or 6 great years left in him.

I will really miss Javon Walker because I think he is a great player, but I think teams are going to be drooling over him if his knee is 100%. Once Javon takes his shirt off I think there is going to be more than one GM with a secret hard-on.

Oh my gosh. I read this and started laughing out loud. I can just picture Mike Shanahan, flushed and breathing heavily after meeting with Javon, rushing home to his wife.

Fritz
04-28-2006, 05:52 AM
"If Walker doesn't agree to a long-term deal, the teams aren't going to give-up a high draft pick for a one-year cripple."

----

That's what Cal Tech thought when they signed Stephen Hawking to a one year deal.

Oh man. You guys are just killing me today. Hilarious.