PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy takes shot at Sherman

Brando19
04-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Head coach Mike McCarthy indirectly took a few swipes at predecessor Mike Sherman during the NFL owners meeting in Phoenix last week.

McCarthy, who emphasized a change in culture when he replaced a fired Sherman last year, revealed a telling contrast of the atmosphere within the team's Lambeau Field headquarters before and after his arrival.
"(Veteran quarterback) Brett Favre comes in my office, and he's walking around and (says), 'Well, I've never been up here,'" McCarthy said. "If I had one, I had 20 guys tell me that."

The coaches' offices are on the third level of the renovated stadium, far away from the locker room that is on the basement level. Some players who were with the team when Sherman was coach for six years alluded to his putting distance between himself and players by not inviting dialogue in his office.

McCarthy sensed that was the case early in his own tenure.

"Our business is hard enough. To have tension in the workplace, to me, is totally counterproductive in team building," McCarthy said. "Tension, high anxiety, things like that, those are short-term answers to get people to do what you want them to do. That's not positive reinforcement. There should be no walls in your organization."

As such, McCarthy advocates that his players make the effort to come up to the coaches' wing to discuss matters privately with himself or an assistant.

"What I don't want is that when they push number three in the elevator, it's, 'Oh (shoot), here I go, I'm going up to the head coach's office for something negative,'" McCarthy said. "You have to have a lot of personal interaction. I'm not talking about being buddy-buddy, and I told the players that. I'm just trying to promote as much player-coach interaction as possible."

CaptainKickass
04-01-2007, 02:02 PM
This is old news - posted repeatedly in this forum prior to this thread.

It's a nice headline - but there's no "shot" being taken directly ay Sherman.

Brando19
04-01-2007, 02:54 PM
I did not know it had been posted.

Packers4Ever
04-01-2007, 09:59 PM

It was new news to me, first time I'd heard or read it and I

catch the new posts close to every day. I thought it was

interesting that MM alluded to the fact that a 16 year Vet

was making his first trip up to coach's office. Maybe not a

shot but there is no missing the point there.

retailguy
04-01-2007, 10:01 PM

Seems to me that the "hands off" role would have applied to Mike Holmgren as well if a 16 year vet hadn't been up to the office.

So I guess it was a "knock" on both of them, or perhaps, it was just a new coach talking about how he's different than the "other" guys.

Brando19
04-01-2007, 10:02 PM

Yes...MM pointed out that Brett had never been to the coach's office...which is unbelievable to me. I really like MM and I believe he is going to bring some victories to Green Bay in the years to come.

HarveyWallbangers
04-01-2007, 10:13 PM
He said he hadn't been to the coach's office since the Lambeau redesign--which happened after Holmgren and Rhodes left. Before, the coach's office was right by where the player's lockers were.

Guiness
04-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Beat me to it HW. He said 'I've never been up here'. Here was added during the renovation, and the Sherminator was the only one to ever have that office.

I'd say it's a shot at Sherman. And it's crazy that he and Brett never sat down in his office to discuss anything.

Funny, because you hear this, but I also remember hearing that the players wanted to play for Sherman, and his presence was a big part of what held them all together through the 4-12 season. :huh:

the_idle_threat
04-02-2007, 12:44 AM
"(Veteran quarterback) Brett Favre comes in my office, and he's walking around and (says), 'Well, I've never been up here,'" McCarthy said. "If I had one, I had 20 guys tell me that."

I'm glad they specified this "Brett Favre" guy is the team's veteran quarterback. I never would have known who he was. :?:

sepporepi
04-02-2007, 05:47 AM
Brett who :roll: ???
:lol:

packinpatland
04-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Beat me to it HW. He said 'I've never been up here'. Here was added during the renovation, and the Sherminator was the only one to ever have that office.

I'd say it's a shot at Sherman. And it's crazy that he and Brett never sat down in his office to discuss anything.

Funny, because you hear this, but I also remember hearing that the players wanted to play for Sherman, and his presence was a big part of what held them all together through the 4-12 season. :huh:

I think this whole thing has been taken out of context.
Maybe Sherman met with players on 'their' turf, rather than in his office. Being in the 'bosses' office is sometimes an intimidating thing.

If McCarthy meant it as a dig, he shouldn't have.

BooHoo
04-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Is going to the coaches office like going to the principals office?

woodbuck27
04-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Is going to the coaches office like going to the principals office?

Now you have it.

It's sort of a blue Vs. white collar thing.

MJZiggy
04-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I think M3's more blue collar than most of his players.