PDA

View Full Version : Really, Really Kickass Books

BallHawk
04-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Figured that, since we have a movie thread, we should have a book thread. We probably have more moviegoers on here than bookworms, but that's alright.

Two really good books

Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama
The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama

Yeah, I know, I'm a completely Obama junkie, but he is a very talented writer and his life is extremely interesting. The Audacity of Hope is a very down-to-earth book and a great read.

HarveyWallbangers
04-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Good thread. Too bad you couldn't have started us off with something other than political biographies. I'm a huge fan of the Foundation series by Asimov.

retailguy
04-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Figured that, since we have a movie thread, we should have a book thread. We probably have more moviegoers on here than bookworms, but that's alright.

Two really good books

Yeah, I know, I'm a completely Obama junkie, but he is a very talented writer and his life is extremely interesting. The Audacity of Hope is a very down-to-earth book and a great read.

Why don't you read something from the "other side of the fence".

Might "broaden" your knowledge, even if you disagree with it. :wink:

Partial
04-01-2007, 11:09 PM
What a crappy first book.

slaughterhouse five.

mmmdk
04-02-2007, 02:02 AM
New York trilogy and Leviathan by Paul Auster.

mmmdk
04-02-2007, 02:04 AM

Two really good books

...can Republicans read and write?

the_idle_threat
04-02-2007, 03:12 AM
I really enjoyed reading the All Creatures Great and Small series by James Herriott. I read them in early high school and then re-read them after college.

The Tarzan series by Edgar Rice Burroughs was enjoyable diversion when I was in early H.S. too. The books aren't high art, but they're a whole lot better than the crappy TV series adaptation.

Classics like To Kill a Mockingbird, Brothers Karamazov, Huck Finn, and Catcher in the Rye are good. I don't recommend Crime and Punishment though. It was a crime to write and a punishment to read IMO.

Also, if you like the movie The Shawshank Redemption, read the book. It's every bit as good. It's the only thing I've ever read by Stephen King that I liked.

the_idle_threat
04-02-2007, 03:38 AM

Two really good books

...can Republicans read and write?

Read Bill Clinton's autobiography, and you might wonder the same about Democrats. :P

BallHawk
04-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown is a good book. People assume that, since it is Dan Brown, it must be anti-Christianity, but with this book that's not the case. A&D is better than the DaVinci Code, IMO, because the story just tries to be interesting, instead of controversial, which Brown tried to do in his other book.

Kiwon
04-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Nothing can touch "Green Eggs and Ham" - Dr. Seuss

:lol:

BallHawk
04-02-2007, 10:14 AM

I get tingles down my spine whenever I read it.

retailguy
04-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Read Bill Clinton's autobiography, and you might wonder the same about Democrats. :P

I found it in the "bargain bin" in the Fiction section over the weekend. I'm sure it was just misplaced....:wink:

pacfan
04-02-2007, 11:53 AM

I found it in the "bargain bin" in the Fiction section over the weekend. I'm sure it was just misplaced....:wink:

and unread.....

GoPackGo
04-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown is a good book. People assume that, since it is Dan Brown, it must be anti-Christianity, but with this book that's not the case. A&D is better than the DaVinci Code, IMO, because the story just tries to be interesting, instead of controversial, which Brown tried to do in his other book.

i looooovvved angels and demons

oregonpackfan
04-02-2007, 04:20 PM

When my oldest daughter was just beginning to read, she considered Green Eggs and Ham as her "First chapter book."

Her comment still brings a smile to my face.

oregonpackfan
04-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Favorite fiction= Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Favorite nonfiction= Flags Of Our Fathers by James Bradley

Badgepack
04-02-2007, 04:23 PM
My kids loved "Where the Wild Things Are"

MJZiggy
04-02-2007, 04:41 PM

When my oldest daughter was just beginning to read, she considered Green Eggs and Ham as her "First chapter book."

Her comment still brings a smile to my face.

Another classic: The Cat in the Hat

"I like it. Oh I like it a lot, said the Cat in the Hat to the fish in the pot." I loved The Midwives by Chris Bohjalian. Great read.

The Poisonwood Bible by Kingsolver was a good one too.

Partial
04-02-2007, 04:52 PM
call me a big softie, but the bronte sister books are pretty good. We read them in AP English. Good tales are the very slow beginnings.

Kiwon
04-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Favorite nonfiction= Flags Of Our Fathers by James Bradley

Looks like a great book.

oregonpackfan
04-02-2007, 10:35 PM
The movie version is very good but the book provides a much more comprehensive accounting of the battle of Iwo Jima and how the war afftected the flag-raising marines.

The author is the adult son of one of those marines, which makes the story all the more meaningful.

This is a must-read for all Americans no matter what your political affiliation may be.

PackerPro42
04-03-2007, 06:50 AM
I don't think that the words KickAss and Book should be in the same sentence. Sure there's some good books, but I'm pretty sure none of them kickass. I'll leave that for the movies.

BallHawk
04-03-2007, 09:42 AM
And that's exactly the problem with youth in America.

[That's not an attack on you, BTW]

BlueBrewer
04-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Digital Fortress and Deception point by Dan Brown are also good. Same Hero-Heroin team dynamic as A&D and TDC

BallHawk
04-03-2007, 10:14 AM
I read the first 100 or so pages of Deception Point, but then forgot about it and never finished it. It was pretty good, though.

the_idle_threat
04-03-2007, 04:20 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Deputy Nutz
04-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Right now I am reading the Corps series by W.E.B Griffin. I love the mixture of fiction and history. Its like learning something but with it still being interesting.

MJZiggy
04-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Off topic: Nutz WHERE have you been?

GBRulz
04-03-2007, 06:41 PM
I really don't get into reading as a hobby, but I've read a few of James Patterson books that I like.

packinpatland
04-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Patterson is good. He's better when he writes alone tho.
Seems like he's been putting out like a book a month lately.
....................he's the guy version of Danielle Steele!

oregonpackfan
04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I really don't get into reading as a hobby, but I've read a few of James Patterson books that I like.

His most recent book Honeymoon is an interesting quick read.

justanotherpackfan
04-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Marathon by Hal Higdon
The Essentials of Weight Lifting & Strength Training by Mohammed El. Hewie
Walter's Boy by Steve Hopkins

Deputy Nutz
04-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Off topic: Nutz WHERE have you been?

ummm, doing stuff that sucks, like working a job that doesn't offer me the acceptable amount of time to piss away my day on Packerrats.com. Pretty unfortunate if you want to know the truth. On top of that my wife stole the only working computer in the house. I am a bitter man. She broke our desk top, then her labtop went out, and she had this tricky idea to buy me a labtop for my birthday, and then take it away from me when law school started up again in the fall. You can't trust no fucking lawyer.

Chubbyhubby
04-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I am a "Trekie" I have over 35 books of Star Trek Next Generation. My mom got me started in the Star Trek Universe. Now my 10 year old step son is now starting to become a trekie! Will Sandy be next? Keep you posted......

Chubbyhubby
04-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Marathon by Hal Higdon
The Essentials of Weight Lifting & Strength Training by Mohammed El. Hewie
Walter's Boy by Steve Hopkins

Love the avatar justanotherpackerfan. Were did you get it?

MJZiggy
04-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Chubby, keep your FOCUS. There's plenty of time for her to be a trekkie. She needs to learn FOOTBALL. Start NOW. You can read the NFL rulebook to your wife's tummy and the CBA if she needs settling down. She's due in August, she should be watching games by September at the latest!

Chubbyhubby
04-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Chubby, keep your FOCUS. There's plenty of time for her to be a trekkie. She needs to learn FOOTBALL. Start NOW. You can read the NFL rulebook to your wife's tummy and the CBA if she needs settling down. She's due in August, she should be watching games by September at the latest!

What was I thinking??? Your right! I will buy the NFL rule book and talk to her about the ol' Glory days of the Packers.

When my Nephew was born on Sept 3rd two years ago I came to visit my brother and his wife. Both were in the hospital for a few days. Jack (my Nephew) was a few days old when both were watching a exibition Packer game. (My brother and his wife live in Baraboo, WI) Jack was quiet up untill Brett Favre threw an interception. Then he started to wail! From that point we knew he was a Packer Fan!!!