PDA

View Full Version : Bush goes #1 it seems

Rastak
04-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Per my buddies at profootballtalk.com

TEXANS BAG BUSH

A source tells us that the Houston Texans have reached an agreement with tailback Reggie Bush, which will make him the first overall choice in the 2006 draft.

More details coming.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 10:20 AM
I'll let you know for sure in 48 hrs. and 55 minutes.

Rastak
04-27-2006, 10:27 AM
I'll let you know for sure in 48 hrs. and 55 minutes.

They can sign him now, it's within the rules...if so the Saints are actually on the clock now. I believe they could negotiate a deal if this one is official.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Are you saying that the Packers could end up picking second or third if this keeps up?

Rastak
04-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Are you saying that the Packers could end up picking second or third if this keeps up?

Technically they pick 5th...but the guys that get signed beforehand would get announced....but they could be on the clock right away in theory. I don't recall 2 guys ever getting signed before the draft, usually it's just the top guy.

Rastak
04-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Update:

TEXANS DENY BUSH DEAL

A source tells us that the Houston Texans have reached an agreement with tailback Reggie Bush, which will make him the first overall choice in the 2006 draft.

The Texans, however, disagree.

Reached via his cell phone in New York, Texans V.P. of communications Tony Wyllie told Profootballtalk.com (man, it sure sounds like we know what we're doing when we write it up like that) that the team is "negotiating with both players."

"Reggie Bush and Vince Young?" we asked.

"Very funny," Wyllie said.

The other player is North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams. The Texans reportedly have been negotiating with both players, although the focal point to date apparently has been Bush.

Although the recent questions regarding Bush's college eligibility likely do not affect his draft standing, we believe that the team is squeezing Bush's agent, Joel Segal, because Segal surely is concerned (in our estimation) that he could be fired by Bush if Bush isn't the No. 1 overall pick.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 10:40 AM
It'd still be kinda cool.

Rastak
04-27-2006, 10:59 AM
One more update on this huge non-story...

CASSERLY CONFIRMS IT -- NO DEAL YET FOR BUSH

In our quest to actually engage in some "real" journalism (imagine that), we've heard from Texans G.M. Charley Casserly as to the rumors we've heard of a done deal between the Texans and tailback Reggie Bush.

After catching wind of the agreement from a source who has been rock-solid for us in the past, we initially called Texans V.P. of comunications Tony Wyllie. We left a message on Wyllie's cell phone, and then we tried to reach Casserly. We heard back from Wyllie first, and we've now had a chance to talk to the G.M. himself.

And Casserly confirms the team's position that no deal is in place.

In so doing, Casserly sounded pretty convincing to us.

He said that the rumor of a deal is "absolutely not true." Casserly said that the team is in active negotiations with both Bush and defensive end Mario Williams. "That's the honest to God truth," Casserly added.

So now we're torn. The source who told us about the deal is a credible one. But "honest to God" is a pretty strong affirmation, unless Casserly secretly is an atheist or something.

For now, we'll take the team's word for it. But we're also going to follow up with our source.

Guiness
04-27-2006, 11:49 AM
I know the rules state the team with the #1 overall choice can negotiate before the draft. Cincy did that with Carson Palmer, and stated at the time they wouldn't draft him if a deal wasn't in place beforehand. Lucky for them they got it done!

I didn't realize that once that deal was done, the next team drafting could start negotiations. Are you sure about that Rastak? Shamler, some help here?

Tarlam!
04-27-2006, 11:55 AM
I didn't realize that once that deal was done, the next team drafting could start negotiations. Are you sure about that Rastak? Shamler, some help here?

If the ink is on the contract, what's to stop NO to going into negotiation mode?

Rastak
04-27-2006, 12:01 PM
I know the rules state the team with the #1 overall choice can negotiate before the draft. Cincy did that with Carson Palmer, and stated at the time they wouldn't draft him if a deal wasn't in place beforehand. Lucky for them they got it done!

I think it's true but I'm not 100% sure.

mngolf19
04-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Contracts can be negotiated out ahead of time, even signed. But they are all still contingent on the actual pick being made at the draft. So while the Texans are saying they haven't signed anything yet, you know they have based on past history. And they don't want to announce it yet in case some other team still wants to throw out a trade. Nothing is ever "official" until the actual draft.

Charles Woodson
04-27-2006, 02:49 PM
The more ive read, and im gana take shit for this, but i think that texas will take Williams. IMO This draft will have lots of surprises

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2006, 03:00 PM
This is the John Kerry of threads.
:D