PDA

View Full Version : 4 weeks to D day

LL2
04-02-2007, 10:29 AM
The draft is only 4 weeks away. I love draft day and for some reason I look forward to it like I look forward to the first game of the season. Anyone else?

BallHawk
04-02-2007, 10:38 AM
The NFL Draft is certainly one of the most entertaining and interesting events in sports. The unpredictability and suspense of it is what makes the draft great. I'm looking forward to spending draft day eating pizza and chatting here on PackerRats. I foresee that we will have some heated arguments on draft day, but we'll have to wait and see.

mmmdk
04-02-2007, 10:46 AM
I can't wait either; I'll be online as much as possible (8 time zones diff.).

LL2
04-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Ballhawk is right that the NFL has certainly made the draft an event. No other sport has a draft that is an all weekend event.

So, Euro Rat how does a European become a big fan of the Pack and NFL? Isn’t the NFL a small sub culture over there, where in the states it’s a machine that runs by its self. One of these days my wife and I will visit Europe. Before we got married she spent close to a month in England and has friends there.

PlantPage55
04-02-2007, 11:15 AM
If you really sit and think about it, watching the NFL draft for two stays straight is a ridiculous and stupid undertaking....but somehow there I sit every year, and watch every pick intently.

Sometimes I think I actually anticipate the draft more than any football game during the season :lol:

mmmdk
04-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Ballhawk is right that the NFL has certainly made the draft an event. No other sport has a draft that is an all weekend event.

So, Euro Rat how does a European become a big fan of the Pack and NFL? Isn’t the NFL a small sub culture over there, where in the states it’s a machine that runs by its self. One of these days my wife and I will visit Europe. Before we got married she spent close to a month in England and has friends there.

To cut a long story short...I was born in Phoenix, AZ by a Danish family. They stayed in the states (New York, Vermont and then Arizona) from 1965 to late 1975; I was born in 1972. My family brought home (to Denmark) a Green'n'Gold helmet from the Lombardi era and I ran around in our Danish backyard with this golden helmet. In 1985 I saw Montana beat the Dolphins (super bowl) and in 1988 I got to see delayed NFL games from Danish TV3. My Packer moment was in 1989 when Packers came to San Francisco and beat the Niners; I was a Montana fan (not niners though) but when Majik ran those TDs in - I was sold for good. Somehow it made sense, seeing my first ever Packer game and the helmet thing made even more sense. I was a Packer backer. I saw my first game at Lambeau last season (versus Rams) yet I've been to numerous NFL games with the first being in London 1991 (pre-season game). In all I've seen 5 NFL games in the states plus I've got between 300 and 400 NFL games on dvd - mostly Packer games - a few from the seventies, 50 or so from the eighties and the rest is Favre era games.

hmm...not so short after all. :mrgreen:

pittstang5
04-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Oh, how I love draft day! Granted, I'm no draft king, but I love researching potential prospects and seeing where they go in the draft. Who's gonna rise, who's gonna drop, I love it all. Outside of the regular NFL and College seasons, this is my favorite time of year.

MacCool606
04-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Only bad thing I can think about watching the draft is Mel Kiper. The guy is like a weather man - can be wrong more than 50% of the time, but he keeps getting invited back. (If you remember, he had Jamal Reynolds as a good pick for GB.)

BallHawk
04-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Also, in regards to American football in Europe, it's been on the rise over the last few years. Games are now broadcast on TV in England on ITV and NFL Europe attendance is as high as ever. Obviously, the hype will never be as high as it is in the U.S. but the NFL is slowly and steadily spreading across parts of the globe.

MadtownPacker
04-02-2007, 01:33 PM
If you really sit and think about it, watching the NFL draft for two stays straight is a ridiculous and stupid undertaking....but somehow there I sit every year, and watch every pick intently.
Hell yeah!

Last season was the bomb watching the draft and discussing all the selections on the forum. I was actually 100% mentally drained by the end of the day. I get the feeling we are gonna see some bigtime moves by TT on D-Day.

ND72
04-02-2007, 01:57 PM
It's become a college reunion for my buddies and I. My college roommate has a 110" home theatre at his home in appleton, and all of our close buddies from college come over for the weekend. Couple cocktails, and hours upon hours of football...can't beat it.

Joemailman
04-02-2007, 05:07 PM
I'll miss the 1st round this year because of work. I don't suppose TT would trade out of the 1st round so I don't have to miss any picks...

red
04-02-2007, 05:31 PM
well, as packer fans living in the ted thompson era, the draft is really the only thing we have to look forward to in the offseason

retailguy
04-02-2007, 06:32 PM
well, as packer fans living in the ted thompson era, the draft is really the only thing we have to look forward to in the offseason

What are you talking about? We're on the cusp. Free Agents from the FLEA MARKET. It's an untapped talent pool. They're going to bring in cheap free agents from China, Vietnam, and the Phillipines.

Maybe we should have a poll with prizes and stuff to see how often Ted trades down, and how many picks he amasses.

Winner could get a trophy or something. It'd be fun.