PDA

View Full Version : Packers aren't pursuing RB Turner

packers11
04-02-2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070402/PKR01/70402101/1989

Posted April 2, 2007

Packers aren't pursuing RB Turner

The Green Bay Packers aren’t pursuing San Diego Chargers running back Michael Turner, but the Tennessee Titans are making a strong push.

Turner’s agent, Bus Cook, said Monday afternoon his client had just left a meeting with the Titans, one of several teams interested in signing or trading for LaDainian Tomlinson’s backup.

A restricted free agent, Turner received the highest possible tender from the Chargers — one year, $2.35 million — meaning any team that signs him would owe San Diego first- and third-round draft picks as compensation. But San Diego is believed to be willing to deal Turner for less because he will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2007 season.

The Packers need a running back after the departure of Ahman Green, who signed with the Houston Texans. But Cook, who also represents Packers quarterback Brett Favre, said Green Bay has not contacted him about Turner.

A fifth-round pick out of Northern Illinois in 2004, Turner has rushed 941 yards and five touchdowns on 157 carries in three NFL seasons.

— Pete Dougherty, pdougher@greenbaypressgazette

wist43
04-02-2007, 03:50 PM
No surpise here... TT isn't going to give up a draft pick - EVER!!!!

Peyton Manning, for 7th rounder??? FORGET IT!!!! TT would laugh at the Colts...

vince
04-02-2007, 04:09 PM
No surpise here... TT isn't going to give up a draft pick - EVER!!!!

Peyton Manning, for 7th rounder??? FORGET IT!!!! TT would laugh at the Colts...
TT has given up numerous draft picks in recent years - in fact he's probably the league's biggest wheeler and dealer on draft day...

Of course, he always makes deals for more draft picks, but he does make a lot of deals... :wink:

MJZiggy
04-02-2007, 04:17 PM
I see less deals coming this year.

packers11
04-02-2007, 04:18 PM
I see Randy Moss in the near future... T.T. needs to save that 3rd round pick for good ol Randy... :)

packrulz
04-02-2007, 04:29 PM
I heard on ESPN radio the Pack was considering swapping 1st round picks and giving up some other picks for Turner, for whatever it's worth. TT has supposedly been in contact with San Diego.

LL2
04-02-2007, 04:32 PM
I heard on ESPN radio the Pack was considering swapping 1st round picks and giving up some other picks for Turner, for whatever it's worth. TT has supposedly been in contact with San Diego.

Just an FYI...Packer rumors are not worth anything.

wist43
04-02-2007, 04:47 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't get all atwitter at the prospect... TT isn't about to trade a pick for a player.

Too many reporters, with too few actual sources... start spreading rumors around just to have something to report and to stir the pot.

All I expect from TT leading up to the draft is for him to extend Williams and/or Barnett, and maybe sign a couple of low level FA's... He's not going to do anything to appreciably upgrade the team between now and the draft.

red
04-02-2007, 05:36 PM

i would think that if the agent for the player says the packers haven't said anything, then they haven't

if a team even reads a players name and the agent finds out about it then the agent will say the team is interested to try and get a frenzy going

retailguy
04-02-2007, 05:58 PM
This isn't happening and neither is Moss. Thompson is really happy with the guys we have, I believe this....

It's the guys we got, plus draft picks, plus anyone with talent that'll work for $5.50 per hour that comes available. Otherwise, forget it...

ND72
04-02-2007, 07:52 PM
local appleton espn radio station said they had a "quick" phone call with Ted Thompson, and he stated there has been ZERO talk about Michael Turner. I would give up somethign in a second faster for this guy over a randy moss. he's more worth it and could help for more than MAYBE 1-2 years.

packrulz
04-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Posted April 3, 2007

Packers are interested observers in race for Turner

By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Packers haven't entered the Michael Turner sweepstakes, but where San Diego's backup running back lands could determine whether another veteran ends up in Green Bay.

Turner, a restricted free agent, was in Tennessee on Monday to visit one of several teams that have inquired about signing him or trading for him.

The Packers aren't one of those teams, Turner's agent, Bus Cook, said Monday afternoon.

But a deal with Tennessee could pave the way to Green Bay for free agent Chris Brown, who was close to a deal to return to the Titans before the team set up visits this week with Turner and Corey Dillon.

"Obviously, the (zone) blocking scheme up there (in Green Bay) fits Chris' style," Ryan Morgan, one of Brown's agents, said Monday afternoon.

"He's a big back, but he's also pretty explosive and has got pretty good wheels. He can make that (first) cut and go."

Like the Titans, who released Travis Henry in the offseason, the Packers need a starting running back because Ahman Green bolted for the Houston Texans. Turner, 25, is the biggest name left on the market.

A former fifth-round draft pick who has 941 yards rushing in three seasons playing behind NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson, Turner received a one-year, $2.35 million tender from San Diego, meaning any team that signs him would owe the Chargers first- and third-round draft picks. But San Diego is believed to be willing to deal Turner for less — perhaps a second-round pick and a player — because he will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2007 season.

"I have to believe Turner will be dealt before the draft. San Diego is right on the verge (of a Super Bowl run)," said agent Doug Hendrickson, who represents another free-agent back, Kevan Barlow.

"Could they play it safe in case something happens to (Tomlinson)? Yeah. But if you have a chance to get value and fill another need (through a trade), you can find another back in the middle rounds to replace (Turner)."

Still, the Packers have shown little or no interest. They're believed to be sizing up the top backs in the draft — Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson and California's Marshawn Lynch are considered first-round locks — and maintained publicly that they're comfortable with starter-by-default Vernand Morency.

It seems they've also kept an eye on Brown — Morgan said he has had a number of discussions with members of the Packers' personnel department, most recently last week — who continues to draw interest from the Buffalo Bills and two other teams Morgan wouldn't name.

Buffalo and the New York Jets reportedly are interested in Turner as well.

Brown, 25, rushed for a combined 1,918 yards for the Titans in 2004 and '05 — including 148 yards and two touchdowns in a 48-27 Titans win in 2004 at Lambeau Field. But he battled injuries and totaled only 156 yards in five games last season. He is dividing his offseason training between Tennessee and Chicago, Morgan said, adding his client will be flexible about contract terms if he can compete for a starting job.

"We're not putting any time restraints on it," Morgan said. "We want to make sure the deal we do is the right deal."

Hendrickson said he hasn't heard anything from the Packers about Barlow, 28, since preliminary talks last month. Buffalo, Tennessee and the Indianapolis Colts remain in the picture, Hendrickson said.

Dillon, 32, reportedly will fly to Tennessee today and visit with Titans officials on Wednesday.

Press-Gazette reporter Pete Dougherty contributed to this report.

LL2
04-03-2007, 08:19 AM
I still think the Pack should try to get Garrett Wolfe out of NIU. I think he's a sleeper pick and could be picked in the 4th or 5th rd.

wist43
04-03-2007, 08:35 AM
I doubt Wolfe is even on the Packers radar. When was the last time they pulled the trigger on a situational, special teams player??? - despite the fact that they've been desperate for a spark player like this guy for years.

At RB, I think we're looking at Lynch at #16, or further down guys like:

Michael Bush
Tony Hunt
Kolby Smith
Brian Leonard
Dwayne Wright

RB is weak at the top, but there seems to be a lot of 3rd to 5th round depth... I haphazardly pulled this guys out of the lineup b/c of their size - I would prefer a bigger back who can take the pounding.

The question is - is Turner better than these guys - and what is it going to take to pry him away from the Chargers??? Assume SD would take a 2nd rounder for Turner... would the Packers be better off trading their 2nd for Turner, or using the 2nd at another position and taking one of these guys in rounds 3-5???

Personally, I like Turner better than every back in this draft, with the possible exception of Peterson... Lynch may turn out, he may not - at least you know what you're getting with Turner, he's been in the league for 3 years.

Of course, TT is going to do nothing... so, we wait for the draft.

ND72
04-03-2007, 10:30 AM
You're forgetting Antonio Pittman, who is considered the best zone runner in the draft.

BallHawk
04-03-2007, 10:39 AM
You're forgetting Antonio Pittman, who is considered the best zone runner in the draft.

I would love to get Antonio Pittman. He would cost us a 2nd round pick, we may even need to trade up in the 2nd to get him, but I would feel more comfortable with him than a lot of other RBs.

ND72
04-03-2007, 10:50 AM

I would love to get Antonio Pittman. He would cost us a 2nd round pick, we may even need to trade up in the 2nd to get him, but I would feel more comfortable with him than a lot of other RBs.

:lol: saw a mock draft where they have us taking Ted Ginn in round 1 and Pittman in round 2...Hawk last year...becoming THE Green Bay Packers...(of course I'm one that thinks Ted Ginn is a lot better than many people believe, so I'd be ok with Ginn & Pittman).

LL2
04-03-2007, 10:53 AM
I doubt Wolfe is even on the Packers radar. When was the last time they pulled the trigger on a situational, special teams player??? -

Never, but what a difference it would make to have a playmaker on special teams returning punts and kickoffs. We haven't had a great person doing that since Desmond Howard. It would make a HUGE difference to always start on the 30 yard line instead of the 20. A couple of good throws or runs and your in enemy territory.

BallHawk
04-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I doubt Wolfe is even on the Packers radar. When was the last time they pulled the trigger on a situational, special teams player??? -

Never, but what a difference it would make to have a playmaker on special teams returning punts and kickoffs. We haven't had a great person doing that since Desmond Howard. It would make a HUGE difference to always start on the 30 yard line instead of the 20. A couple of good throws or runs and your in enemy territory.

Oh, C'mon, we can totally get the job done with this guy.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/30/307572m.jpg

Am I right? Who's with me?

Packnut
04-03-2007, 11:28 AM

:lol: saw a mock draft where they have us taking Ted Ginn in round 1 and Pittman in round 2...Hawk last year...becoming THE Green Bay Packers...(of course I'm one that thinks Ted Ginn is a lot better than many people believe, so I'd be ok with Ginn & Pittman).

I'm warming up to Ginn at 16. Hell, it fills 2 HUGE needs-returns and speed at the #3 WR. Ginn and Pittman would be one helluva draft!

ND72
04-03-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm warming up to Ginn at 16. Hell, it fills 2 HUGE needs-returns and speed at the #3 WR. Ginn and Pittman would be one helluva draft!

I've been on the Ginn wagon (quitely) for a while, because of the 3 roles he'd fill, WR/KR/PR...and I'm really starting to like Pittman. the more I see/read, the more I like him.

Partial
04-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Would ginn be our #3? If so, I feel like he'd be a good #3. They could certainly use him in a lot of unique ways and take advantage of that gazelle like speed.

Hopefully he runs slow on the 10th. We all know he is a burner and easily a sub 4.3, so unfortunately the scouts probably do as well.

ND72
04-03-2007, 11:51 AM
I think he'd definately be our #3, which is why i really like him in GB. Driver is pretty solid over the middle, so if you put them on the same side, one shallow, one deep...thank you football god's. along with Jennings. the ONLY thing that I side step it about is we need a big target, but I really think if we let Ruvell Martin develop a little, I think he could be a good red zone threat. And who knows...maybe K-Rob comes back and becomes a huge threat for us as well. I still have hopes for that guy.

wist43
04-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Don't know about Pittman... He seems to be an awful lot like Morency - whom I already consider to be deficient - at least in terms of being a full-time starter.

To me, both of those guys are situational, 3rd down backs, IMO.

As for Ginn - does he run routes well enough to even be considered by the Packers in the 1st round??? Is he willing to go over the middle??? Is he tough enough???

Yes he's fast, but the Packers run such a "dink and dunk" offense that I'd imagine that someone like Bowe would be more likely than Ginn.

I'm not making a commentary on Ginn vs. Bowe, or another WR for that matter, I'm just raising the issue of which guys would be a good fit.

ND72
04-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Don't know about Pittman... He seems to be an awful lot like Morency - whom I already consider to be deficient - at least in terms of being a full-time starter.

As for Ginn - does he run routes well enough to even be considered by the Packers in the 1st round??? Is he willing to go over the middle??? Is he tough enough???

Yes he's fast, but the Packers run such a "dink and dunk" offense that I'd imagine that someone like Bowe would be more likely than Ginn.

I'm not making a commentary on Ginn vs. Bowe, or another WR for that matter, I'm just raising the issue of which guys would be a good fit.

gotta have someone stretcht he defense to have someone (driver) open over the middle.

And I have to disagree with you about Pittman. He's been a solid workhorse for the Buckeyes for at least 2 years. Everything I have read is he will be the best in the NFL if he's in a zone scheme, because he is a great reader, and has good speed to get to the outside. I donno...i'm becomign a fan...and I've honestly never been a fan of his.

the_idle_threat
04-03-2007, 01:21 PM

Didn't they pick Cory Rodgers last year primarily as a return guy? It didn't work out, so they might take a shot at it again this year.

woodbuck27
04-03-2007, 02:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/TEN/10104593

Chargers RB Turner visits with Titans

NFL.com wire reports

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (April 2, 2007) -- The Tennessee Titans are getting serious in their search for more help at running back and they started by visiting with restricted free-agent Michael Turner of San Diego.

Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt was not available for comment. But San Diego general manager A.J. Smith had said several teams had inquired about Turner as the NFL meetings wrapped up last week.

Agent Bus Cook said he hadn't had much time to talk with Turner, who was checking out of a Nashville hotel Monday afternoon. But he said Turner enjoyed his visit with the Titans.

"We've just got to wait and see," Cook said. "The Titans have got to talk to San Diego. Even if they want to offer him, they have to know what he's going to want and what it's going to take to get him and have to work the other side of this, and that's the Chargers."

The Titans also agreed to terms with safety Donnie Nickey, a four-year veteran who played in 16 games last season and was third on the team with 16 special-teams tackles. He has played in 60 games for the Titans with six starts since being a fifth-round pick in 2003 out of Ohio State.

The Titans released Travis Henry last month, and he quickly signed a new deal with the Denver Broncos. Henry rushed for 1,211 yards last season, a big reason why Tennessee ranked fifth in the NFL in rushing with Vince Young.

Henry's departure has left Tennessee with LenDale White and fullback Ahmard Hall, both rookies last year, on the roster with Quinton Ganther and Dontrell Moore. White, a second-round draft pick in 2006, had 61 carries for 244 yards.

Turner is a restricted free agent who the Chargers tendered high enough that any interested team would have to sign the running back to an offer sheet and pay up with a first- and third-round draft pick to San Diego.

Or they could try and lower that cost in a sign-and-trade with San Diego, which Smith said he is open to before the draft April 28-29.

Running backs have done well this offseason. Frank Gore got a four-year extension from San Francisco that included more than $14 million in guaranteed money, and Willis McGahee picked up a contract with a maximum value of $40.12 million after being traded to Baltimore earlier this year.

Both running backs have had serious knee injuries in their past.

Turner has been healthy and averaged 6.3 yards a carry last season as backup to LaDainian Tomlinson and finished with 80 carries for 502 yards.

Turner is scheduled to make $2.35 million in 2007, and Cook said the Chargers have incentive to make a move if they choose.

"If they can get a nice draft pick for him right now, next year they get nothing for him," Cook said.

The Titans entered free agency with lots of room under the salary cap, and they still have plenty of space left.

Their biggest moves included signing cornerback Nick Harper away from Indianapolis. They also lured restricted free agent linebacker Ryan Fowler away from Dallas, safety Bryan Scott and receiver Justin Gage.

The Titans also have Corey Dillon scheduled to visit April 4.

woodbuck27
04-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Veteran running back Corey Dillon is scheduled to meet with the Titans. According to the Nashville Tennessean.

Dillon's agent stated that he's not interested in playing just anywhere.

Dillon canceled a trip to Buffalo last month because he didn't want to make the trip.

Comment:

This RB still feels he can make a contribution to a team that is a contender for the Super Bowl. He has alot of pride and I expect won't come really cheap. He wants to be the main man in the backfield.

packrulz
04-03-2007, 03:12 PM

gotta have someone stretcht he defense to have someone (driver) open over the middle.

And I have to disagree with you about Pittman. He's been a solid workhorse for the Buckeyes for at least 2 years. Everything I have read is he will be the best in the NFL if he's in a zone scheme, because he is a great reader, and has good speed to get to the outside. I donno...i'm becomign a fan...and I've honestly never been a fan of his.

You can't teach speed and Ginn Jr. has got it, and he catches the ball too. I consider him to be #2 out of a solid WR class. I don't like drafting WR's in the 1st round but I feel Ginn has the best chance to have an immediate impact on the Packers offense. Meachem and Bowe are ok but Ginn has the speed TT likes. I can see Favre heaving bombs to Ginn wide open in the secondary because the d-backs can't keep up with him. I think the Titans will get Turner, Chris Brown will sign with the Pack much cheaper, and TT will draft Ginn. I think he might consider the LB Willis though, if he's still there.

ND72
04-03-2007, 03:16 PM
You can't teach speed and Ginn Jr. has got it, and he catches the ball too. I consider him to be #2 out of a solid WR class. I don't like drafting WR's in the 1st round but I feel Ginn has the best chance to have an immediate impact on the Packers offense. Meachem and Bowe are ok but Ginn has the speed TT likes. I can see Favre heaving bombs to Ginn wide open in the secondary because the d-backs can't keep up with him. I think the Titans will get Turner, Chris Brown will sign with the Pack much cheaper, and TT will draft Ginn. I think he might consider the LB Willis though, if he's still there.

Totally 100% agree. The Willis part also...I read in on eof my draft magazines they think Willis will make a better SLB, than a MLB in the NFL...HELLO...But I like Ginn, I think he brings speed, and specialties like a Hester brought to Chicago.

BallHawk
04-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Reading this thread brought a smile to my face of Ginn catching lobs from Brett Favre downfield. The more I read and think about Ginn, the more I like him. I agree that he has the most "instant impact" of any WR in this draft, excluding Calvin Johnson. I'd love Pittman, too. Ginn and Pittman would leave me one happy man on draft day.

wist43
04-03-2007, 04:18 PM
I gotta tell ya that Ginn and Pittman 1-2, would make me very, very nervous.

I'm hoping for a RB that is bigger and take the pounding down in and down out... Don't see Pittman being that guy.

Same thing for Ginn... Ginn certainly brings a lot of tools and speed to the table, but he's not a very big guy, and from what I've read he's not a very polished receiver.

Just don't know if either of those guys fit... I'm not taking a definitive stand yet - just playing devils advocate.

the_idle_threat
04-03-2007, 04:23 PM
From what I've read, Ginn has the speed but not the hands. With his speed, some of us might be projecting him as a young Randy Moss when in fact he might be more like a young Troy Williamson. :?