PDA

View Full Version : Ben Taylor and Kendrick Allen

pittstang5
04-02-2007, 07:26 PM
So, I just got to thinking - What is up with these two guys? Will TT resign them? You'd have to think that if TT wanted them and the cap room the Pack has, they'd have been signed by now.

I'd like to see both back, but I'm thinking TT is going with the youth movement. Taylor, if I'm not mistaken, could play all 3 LB positions, does well on Special teams and would be a good backup for the LBs. Allen is huge, showed some flashes, but was hindered by injuries. If healthy, I think he would be great in the DT rotation.

CaliforniaCheez
04-02-2007, 08:26 PM
The price is right.

I don't think the Packers need to draft a DT or LB to upgrade those spots.

LaFours
04-03-2007, 08:37 AM
So, I just got to thinking - What is up with these two guys? Will TT resign them? You'd have to think that if TT wanted them and the cap room the Pack has, they'd have been signed by now.

I'd like to see both back, but I'm thinking TT is going with the youth movement. Taylor, if I'm not mistaken, could play all 3 LB positions, does well on Special teams and would be a good backup for the LBs. Allen is huge, showed some flashes, but was hindered by injuries. If healthy, I think he would be great in the DT rotation.

I think the Ben Taylor signing last year is a prime example of what TT is trying to avoid this season. Taylor is a serviceable veteran and he was brought in to play the Sam position in place of Poppinga because he was injured. Once Poppinga came back, TT and MM were clearly in favor of giving him the nod over Taylor, regardless of the learning curve and any setbacks to the team because they felt his ceiling was much higher than Taylor's. Right or wrong, that appears to be how they are approaching many of the positions that are somewhat in question this year. In most of those positions (3rd WR, RB, S, etc.) we have plenty of young players with potential. The difference this year is that (excluding Underwood) most of these young players are not coming off of serious injuries like Poppinga was last year.

I think the Taylor-Poppinga situation last year is a microcosm of what you can expect to see TT and MM do with their philosophical approach to the team this year as well.

Like I stated earlier, I'm not saying this approach is right or wrong, but it appears to be their plan nonetheless.

ND72
04-03-2007, 10:54 AM
I think both Taylor and Allen aren't cleared yet by doctors to try a physical...could be wrong, but I think I read somethign about that, and that Thompson was very interested in bringing back Taylor for sure.

pittstang5
04-03-2007, 11:04 AM
I think both Taylor and Allen aren't cleared yet by doctors to try a physical...could be wrong, but I think I read somethign about that, and that Thompson was very interested in bringing back Taylor for sure.

Interesting, I didn't know Taylor was injured - rather currently injured. I remember he had a pulled hammy or something during the season, but I thought that he was ok by the seasons end. Allen, I know, was on IR.

ND72
04-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I could be wrong...but I thought I had seen that Taylor had hurt his foot later in the season....I donno though, but you'd think a guy like Taylor would be heard from, especially since there were a few teams that wanted him last offseason.

The whole poppinga and taylor thing has been interesting to me...Poppinga didn't even play a snap, and week 1 he became the starter. I really think that decision early on cost us at least 2 games, possibly 3, defensively. He was really a target for teams to go after.