PDA

View Full Version : Packer Draft Day Crystal Ball

The Shadow
04-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Ok, like so many of you, I've gone over as much draft info as I can find.
Here's what I believe to be the most likely scenario for D Day :

I think there are 8 players the Packers would really love :
WR Calvin Johnson S LaRon Landry
RB Adrian Peterson S Reggie Nelson
OL Joe Thomas RB Marshawn Lynch
DT Amobi Okoye DB Leon Hall

In all liklihood, the first 5/6 will be gone before the Packers pick - and there's a decent chance ALL will be off the board by pick #16.
In my opinion, however, there are 24 players who could all be slight-surprise candidates to fit somewhere into the first 16 slots (players like Bowe, Willis, Revis, Meachum, etc.), depending on many factors.

I think Thompson's 1st choice - no surprise here -would be to take Lynch if he is available. If he's gone, I look for the Packers to either attempt a trade down for additional pick(s) OR to grab the best cornerback available. Harris & Woodson are no spring chickens, Blackmon is an unknown quantity at this point, and Patrick Dendy is not a longterm answer.

I also believe the Randy Moss rumored deal is not at all dead yet, and look for Thompson to make a concerted-yet-reasonable attempt to add the big play threat we are lacking by securing his services.

In later rounds, I would welcome the selections of any of the following players :
- OT Joe Staley, C. Michigan
- Eric Weddle, S, Utah
- Andy Alleman, G, Akron
- John Wendling, S, Wyoming

b bulldog
04-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Leon Hall...yuck!

packers11
04-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Leon Hall...yuck!

I think my misspelled his name... its Ahmad Carroll...

CaliforniaCheez
04-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I think the suprise draft pick which could be "the best value on the board" at 16 is

OT Levi Brown.

Depth on the left side, pressure on Clifton and eventually he and College battle for the higher wage LT position and the loser plays guard.

ND72
04-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Joe Staley from Central Michigan is being projected as a late 1st round/early 2nd round pick.

Brando19
04-02-2007, 09:19 PM
I like your post, Shadow.

What about USC's Center? He's pretty talented. I know we have Wells...but what happens if he goes down?

And it makes me happy to hear when some have hope still yet for Moss!

b bulldog
04-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Staley ran in the 4.7 range and could be a late first rounder but as you said, a probable second.

pittstang5
04-02-2007, 10:24 PM
I like Staley, I'll think he'll fit this system and could be the future LT if and when Clifton starts to decline. He'll probably go somewhere in the 2nd round and I don't think TT will take an O-lineman that high again this year - unless he trades down and gets another 2nd rounder. The team has bigger needs.

Another later round OT that I would like the Pack to look at is Alan Barbre from Missouri Southern. He seems like a good fit for the ZBS. Might be picked up in the late 4th or 5th...maybe later.

privatepacker
04-02-2007, 10:29 PM
TT has showed that he will take the BPA and will let the draft come to him. The only way I see him trade up is if AP gets pass the 1st 8 picks, and he could go after him before Buffalo.

Don't be surprised if Green bay takes man mountain Walter Thomas, DT in either 4-5 rd. The guy is 6-5, 370#s and has some moves. If he needs a year to season on the pratice squad, so be it. Could you imagine the freedom that Barnett would have w/ him and Pickett as DTs?

Lurker64
04-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Don't be surprised if Green bay takes man mountain Walter Thomas, DT in either 4-5 rd. The guy is 6-5, 370#s and has some moves. If he needs a year to season on the pratice squad, so be it. Could you imagine the freedom that Barnett would have w/ him and Pickett as DTs?

If he pans out, he's the right kind of body for a 3-4 defense NT probably. We certainly have some talent at linebacker, so why not?

Partial
04-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Do not be surprised if TT goes DL or OL on the first day. Strong teams have strong lines.

Partial
04-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Weight is overrated. Having strong hamstrings and a big ol' booty to anchor yourself is far more important paired with good arm length (corresponds to height, generally) than weight.

mmmdk
04-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Don't be surprised if TT picks 8-) the best athlete/player available... 8-)

OS PA
04-03-2007, 02:22 AM
The more time I spend looking at Mock Drafts, the more I think we're going to pick Reggie Nelson if Marshawn Lynch isn't available.

GoPackGo
04-03-2007, 12:24 PM
here's another opinion of who the Pack will take

http://walterfootball.com/draft2007.php

Greg Olsen, TE, Miami
Bubba Franks has gotten progressively worse over the past few years, so the Packers could be looking for a tight end in the first round, especially if Marshawn Lynch is unavailable. Olsen, ran a 4.45 at the Combine and dazzled scouts in every other drill. Taking him could make Green Bay's offense so much more explosive

woodbuck27
04-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Whatever TT does in the first round will not have alot to do with success in 2007.

I certainly don't expect him to draft on offense in round one except for a solid OT. I believe that Chad Clifton's days are about over (knees). I believe that OUR GM learned a valuable lesson in his first season as OUR GM when he signed FA's to play on the OL and they ended up as only camp fodder.

It's certainly not his style to trade up.

Those who feel that he may draft to strengthen the lines may be most accurate. It appears that TT is all about building for down the road and little to do with real respectability in 2007.

TT will not bring in Randy Moss. WHY ??

Because to do so may extend Brett Favre. The cost of Favre and Moss is restrictive to his rebuilding plans and exorbatant, in the $22-24 million range.

TT hasn't signed any FA's of note, as to do so would restrict his ability to extend young and developing players like Barnett and Williams before next season. He also wants a healthy CAP and loads of money after Favre retires.

I expect that (Favre's retirement) will take place within the year.

The Shadow
04-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Leon Hall...yuck!

You know, you might quite well be right here.
After reviewing all the corners, it really did seem like they all seemed to have glaring deficiencies in some aspect or another.
I think I should have simply substituted "DB" here instead of Hall's name.
Good catch.
The Packers DO need some talent in the secondary.

The Shadow
04-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Harris and/oe Woodson could succumb to age pretty quickly.
We need depth.

Bretsky
04-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Harris and/oe Woodson could succumb to age pretty quickly.
We need depth.

I'd think we need starters before depth, but who knows

Merlin
04-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Don't be surprised if TT picks 8-) the best athlete/player available... 8-)

I can't go through another draft with that logic! I say we stack picks and take our chances in the later rounds with no-names. We have much better luck with those! If you can't get AP or BQ in the first round, TRADE DOWN!

The Shadow
04-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Trading down is effective when there is no player worth the pick - and players later you DO like that you can secure for a lesser pick.

packers11
04-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Teddy would never trade down... :lol:

retailguy
04-03-2007, 09:14 PM
I'd think we need starters before depth, but who knows

We don't need no stinkin starters... We got guys. Good, blue collar, lunch pail guys. You'll see. Yeah. That's right. You'll see. We'll all see. Just wait.

retailguy
04-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Teddy would never trade down... :lol:

Er... Um. don't you mean UP. Teddy would never trade UP. Yeah. I fixed it for you. You're welcome.

The Shadow
04-04-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure who would be really worthy of a trade up FOR - besides Calvin J.- and he will be gone within the first 3 picks.

The Shadow
04-05-2007, 08:00 PM
I keep thinking Brian Leonard might be a decent pick - not as a fullback, but a pure running back.
His time was measured at a higher weight than he would carry as a RB; he would be even faster than his official time.
Morency & Leonard?

The Shadow
04-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Everyone assumes Thompson would never trade up - solely because he has not done that to date.
But consider the facts : thus far he has always been in some sort of rebuilding mode/position. He has always been attempting to build a team's foundation.
If and when he gets to the pont where he figures a bold move is what is needed to put a team 'over the top' - who knows? He just might surprise us.
Personally, I don't think that the Packer's talent level - and the players available in this draft year - warrant the bold move.
Maybe next year.

Bretsky
04-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Everyone assumes Thompson would never trade up - solely because he has not done that to date.
But consider the facts : thus far he has always been in some sort of rebuilding mode/position. He has always been attempting to build a team's foundation.
If and when he gets to the pont where he figures a bold move is what is needed to put a team 'over the top' - who knows? He just might surprise us.
Personally, I don't think that the Packer's talent level - and the players available in this draft year - warrant the bold move.
Maybe next year.

I'm not convinced anybody in here understands Ted Thompson. It's OK to assume the best or assume the worst; to each his own.

But the only facts are we can only guess what in the world TT thinks; based on the limited comments he has made....and I acknowledge they might be a snow screen of the real truth.....he gives us the impression that we only have a couple holes to fill so he might entertain a trade up.

But his limited comments would also lead us to believe we are more than set with Manuel and what he has.

My opinion of that is he either over values his own players or he's just giving us a line of crap. My guess is the latter is more accurate.

All this bold move talk with free agency and the draft; I also consider that to be a wonderful set of excuses for Ted Thompson to be inactive. Free Agency AND the Draft set the foundation. If we wait til we're one step away to make bold moves we might never get there.

Cheers,
B

Guiness
04-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Trading down is effective when there is no player worth the pick - and players later you DO like that you can secure for a lesser pick.

Obvious problem being if you seen no one worth picking - likely all the other general managers in the league feel the same way. Sherman and Millen only have two picks between them, so can't trade to everybody!

Yes, I know Sherman doesn't control the draft in Houston. No need to point that out to me.

BooHoo
04-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Trading down is more likely than trading up. I guess that is the obvious. I was surprised TT didn't trade down last year at #5. That pick had more value than #16. In every round I expect TT to trade down and am surprised when he doesn't. :)

b bulldog
04-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I think the more picks you can get during day one of the draft the better, within reason of course. I would love to see TT trade down with a team like the Bears for their 1 and 2 and pick up Jarrett or Ginn with the 1 and in the second round get Pittman and Meriweather in round two. Maybe you could squeeze a fourth or fifth rounder out of them also. The ultimate would be moving our 16 overall to the Pats for their 24 and 28 overall. Pick Ginn at 24, pick Olsen at 28 and pick Meriweather or Pittman in the second round.

The Shadow
04-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Since bust possibility is such a factor, having those multiple picks is terrific.
I always esp. like drafting the players with great college production - but downgraded because of measurables.

The Shadow
04-11-2007, 04:40 PM
I am now beginning to think that a trade down - perhaps with Denver - is a possibility.
It would not surprise me to see the Packers wind up drafting perhaps Darrelle Revis, Kenny Irons, and Eric Weddle - if a trade down 5 spots enables them to pick up an extra #2.

CaliforniaCheez
04-12-2007, 05:07 PM
As a rule of thumb trading down gets you the pick 2 rounds later. Trading down in the first nets you a third, trading down in the second gets you a 4th etc. The exception is the first third of the first round.

b bulldog
04-12-2007, 08:50 PM
It matters solely on who you are dealing with and how bad the team covets the player they are willing to move up to pick.

The Shadow
04-13-2007, 04:56 PM
I don't see trading down in the first to be always worth merely a 3rd round choice.
Too many variables : how many slots down are you going? How coveted is the player?

Brando19
04-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Rob Demovsky, of PackersNews.com, reports California RB Marshawn Lynch will visit with the Green Bay Packers late next week. He is also scheduled to visit the Falcons.

If Lynch is there at 16...he will be wearing Green and Gold!!!!

The Shadow
04-14-2007, 10:13 PM
That would be the choice that would seem to make sense.
But Buffalo....?
Hope they go linebacker after losing Spikes.

b bulldog
04-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Spikes and Fletcher.

The Shadow
04-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Oh yeah - London Fletcher (or is that 'Fletcher-Baker' now?)
Well, maybe Lynch WILL be there after all.

Joemailman
04-15-2007, 10:33 PM
I am now beginning to think that a trade down - perhaps with Denver - is a possibility.
It would not surprise me to see the Packers wind up drafting perhaps Darrelle Revis, Kenny Irons, and Eric Weddle - if a trade down 5 spots enables them to pick up an extra #2.

According to the draft trade value table, http://www.gbnreport.com/tradevaluetable.html
trading down from 16 to 21 would only net you a 3rd round pick. Now if we threw in Fergy... :D