PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat Laws

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Hey Wisconsin Parents!

What are the car seat laws in the state right now? I'm coming into town and need to know.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Anything smaller than a pony keg has to be securely restrained in an approved device.

Little Whiskey
04-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I don't think its would be enjoyable to get hit by a lose pony keg!!! come to think of it, if a quarter barrel got loose on you it could cause some damage. moral of the story....make sure your beverages are properly secured.

zig, i'm not 100% sure but i think they got to be over 4years old to get out of a care seat.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 04:37 PM
What about a booster seat? I need to know what to travel with.

Little Whiskey
04-27-2006, 08:54 PM
how old are your "rug rats" (get it rug rats :sad: oh come on it's kinda funny :smile: that's better) how much do they weigh?? it believe it depends on both. I will check in with my bro. he has a yungin and lives in WI. i'll get back to you

Iron Mike
04-27-2006, 10:07 PM
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/vehicle/child/laws.htm

Geez, when my daughter was two she didn't wanna sit in the booster seat any more. I can't imagine having her in there until she was eight!!!! :roll:

GrnBay007
04-27-2006, 10:13 PM
New child safety seat law
Wisconsin has recently issued a new child safety seat law that goes into effect June 1st, 2006.

There will be a 6-month grace period in which written warnings may be issued for any child passenger violations (under Wisconsin Statute 347.48(4) ). The grace period ends December 31st, 2006.

Citations may be issued starting in January of 2007

Second and subsequent violations during the grace period are citable.

In basic terms:

Children must be in a car seat until they reach age 4 and in a booster seat until they reach age 8
Tiered structure now applies:
Less than 1 year old, or less than 20 lbs. must be in a rear-facing child seat in the back seat (if so equipped)
Age 1 to age 4, or less than 40 lbs. must be in a forward-facing child seat in the back seat (if so equipped)
Age 4 to age 8, or between 40-80 lbs., and no more than 4 ft. 9 ins. must be in a booster seat
The fines remain the same, although tiered for ages 0-4 and ages 4-8
The exemption allowing temporary removal of a child from a restraint to attend to personal needs has been removed
The exemption for physical, medical, or body size condition still applies to booster seats and seat belts

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 10:27 PM
THANK YOU GUYS!! My own family couldn't tell me that one, but you came through.

GrnBay007
04-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Geez, when my daughter was two she didn't wanna sit in the booster seat any more. I can't imagine having her in there until she was eight!!!! :roll:

No kidding!! At age 8 my son wouldn't have fit in a booster seat with his football gear on going to a game....lol He would have looked at me like, yeah right mom!!

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Just one more little thing. Does the booster have to have a back on it or can I just use the bottom part that raises the kid so the shoulder belt fits right? Traveling with just the bottom part is no big deal, but if I have to use both parts, I will buy one that doesn't come apart which will be a PITA. At least I won't have to worry about it much longer.

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2006, 10:59 PM
I don't know what the law says about car seats, but I am definitely for them.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Then evidently you'll be very pleased. Now they'll have to be strapped down until their bottoms don't fit in the seat anymore (yes, I did read the link that you posted Mike and there's a provision in there for kids who don't fit in the seats anymore.)

GBRulz
04-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Just one more little thing. Does the booster have to have a back on it or can I just use the bottom part that raises the kid so the shoulder belt fits right? Traveling with just the bottom part is no big deal, but if I have to use both parts, I will buy one that doesn't come apart which will be a PITA. At least I won't have to worry about it much longer.

Just the bottom part.

Also, if another law passes, you'll be happy to learn that you 8 year old can go hunting with you. just unstrap your kid from his booster seat and give him a shotgun.

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 06:55 AM
I read about that Michele, that's plain crazy.

GBRulz
04-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Apparently, the interest in young hunters is going down, which means less tags are being sold. So, it is assumed that by being able to take a kid out hunting at an earlier age, will get them more interested. So yes, a kid could walk around with a shotgun at 8 years old, without being required to take any safety course at all. It is the most ridiculous thing that I've ever heard. I sometimes wonder why I live in this backasswards state!!!

It all comes down to money and our useless DNR.

Little Whiskey
04-28-2006, 10:20 AM
whats wrong with an 8 year old hauling around a 12 gauge???? as long as the gun rack will fit on the back of his big wheel!!

I'll tell you what, that youngin better be built like a brick shithouse, cause a 12 guage with slugs has got a little bit of a kick

Guiness
04-28-2006, 03:43 PM
I just use bungee cords to hold my kids in since the dog chewed the seat belts out. Is that ok?

Scott Campbell
04-28-2006, 04:07 PM
I just use bungee cords to hold my kids in since the dog chewed the seat belts out. Is that ok?

My kids won't stay in their child seats. They like to hang their heads out the window with the dog.

Harlan Huckleby
04-28-2006, 04:50 PM

be careful, those cords can slip off the bumper, the kid will slide right up into the windshield. A roof rack is more prudent.