PDA

View Full Version : Bears tell Redskins draft pick swap won't do

packers11
04-03-2007, 03:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2823964

Updated: April 3, 2007, 3:40 PM ET
Bears tell Redskins draft pick swap won't do
By John Clayton

A proposed trade sending Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs to the Redskins is in trouble after the Bears turned down Washington's proposed swap of draft picks.

Last week, the Redskins made a one-time offer for Briggs, offering to swap their first-round draft pick, the sixth overall, for the Bears' No. 31 overall pick. The Redskins offer was take-it-or-leave it, and they told the Bears that they wanted an answer no later than Tuesday.

The Redskins got their answer Tuesday afternoon when Bears general manager Jerry Angelo contacted the Redskins and told them he wasn't ready to make the simple swap of first-round draft choices.

The Bears had been hinting they might ask for an additional Redskins linebacker to make the trade, but the Redskins made it clear to the Bears on Monday that if they asked for more than the proposed draft-pick swap, the trade talks were over.

Briggs, the Bears' franchise player, reacted angrily to receiving the team's franchise tag and at first said he'd never play for the Bears again. He is now threatening to hold out the first 10 regular season games of 2007. The Bears want to keep Briggs for one season.

The next move for the Redskins to determine if they want to move on and work on other options for the No. 6 pick in the draft. From the Bears standpoint, though, they still believe there is a chance of making a deal for Briggs with the Redskins before the NFL draft.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

packers11
04-03-2007, 03:52 PM
what fools... The bears should of made the trade, they will end up regretting it if they try to play hardball with Briggs...

They could end up with nothing at the end of the season...

ND72
04-03-2007, 03:54 PM
see i think they looked at it and said there is nothing of high value to them that high, and it leaves a hole for them to fill at WLB. if there was a LB that high, I think they'd do it, or somethign to plug in somewhere else, like a Calvin Johnson, but there is no legit #2 WR that high to take. I just don't think the #6 pick has much value for them, especially for the $$ involved.

swede
04-03-2007, 04:02 PM
That #6 could have been parlayed into multiple picks to continue building depth.

I'm glad they passed it up.

ND72
04-03-2007, 04:17 PM
That #6 could have been parlayed into multiple picks to continue building depth.

I'm glad they passed it up.

that's what i've been saying to my bears fan friend...don't even have to break the bank to move up to #6 then, just give me somethign to build on. thank goodness though.

MadtownPacker
04-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah, this was a bad move for the bears. It would have been like them having one of the many losing seasons that got them all the high draft pick players they have now. But instead would be coming off a SB (LOSS!) and still getting a top 10 almost top 5 selection. As mentioned this could also have been used to stock up on a team that already has alot of depth.

Now they are stuck with a player that might dog them and no one else is gonna have this sweet an offer for them. Thanks for pulling a "javon" briggs!

Fritz
04-04-2007, 06:48 AM
I don't understand why people think it's an automatic that a team can swap down for more picks. What if - and this is very possible - no one feels the need to trade up? If you're swapping for the #6 pick, you'd better be sure you like a guy that you can get at that spot. There's no guarantee you'll be able to trade out of it if you don't.

swede
04-04-2007, 07:45 AM
I see your point Fritz.

But when teams take fifteen minutes to make their early first round pick are they frantically trying to deal the pick or patiently listening to offers that are not good enough? I think more the latter. In this scenario with the Briggs deal, the Bears could afford to take a little less than the usual market rate.

The Bears seem to have a hard time signing their high first picks anyway. I guess I'm saying that I would advise them to take the first round swap deal with the 'skins and try to move back down to the middle of the first round and pick up an additional one or two first day picks.

If they need to because, as you point out, they can not find a willing trade partner, there'd be nothing wrong with picking at #6.

Wait a minute! Why am I giving good advice to the Bears?

Screw the Redskins! Let Briggs sit and rot! That'll show them all!

Guiness
04-04-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm with you Fritz, primarily because of what ND72 said. There's not much at the top of this draft. After the first three (maybe 4?) there's a big dropoff. If Chicago wanted to make the deal with the idea of trading down for more picks, they'd better have a dance partner before they acquire the number 6, or they might be stuck using it.

cheesner
04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't see why the Bears wouldn't do this deal. I hope it bites them in the butt.

I don't think they would have traded down either. THey are already a deep team. What they desperately need is a good QB. I think with a good QB they would make the jump to a powerhouse - and they were already good enough to be in the SB last year.

I would have made the trade and then taken Quinn. Not that I think he will be available - but maybe your trade up from there to #3 or #4 and get him.

GoPackGo
04-04-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't see why the Bears wouldn't do this deal. I hope it bites them in the butt.

I don't think they would have traded down either. THey are already a deep team. What they desperately need is a good QB. I think with a good QB they would make the jump to a powerhouse - and they were already good enough to be in the SB last year.

I would have made the trade and then taken Quinn. Not that I think he will be available - but maybe your trade up from there to #3 or #4 and get him.

I'm with you cheesner, If I'm the bears I take that trade and hope to draft Quinn at #6

retailguy
04-04-2007, 05:39 PM
I think it was a good call for the Bears to pass. I don't know why you guys think different?

They've got a great defense, and Briggs is a part of that. 7.2 mil is fair for a linebacker of his pedigree, and a long-term deal will get done. They always do. All this posturing is just a bunch of crap. Week 1, he'll be out there playing, or Washington will cough up more, but either way, he won't sit out 10 games.

He knows that, and so do the Bears.

FritzDontBlitz
04-04-2007, 07:52 PM

the bears wouldnt do the deal because they are idiots, plain and simple.

they apparently forget THAT THEY NEED A FUCKIN NFL QUARTERBACK.

Oh wait, i forgot: they have rex gross(pointblank)man.

hahahahahahahahahaha :glug: