PDA

View Full Version : Question about Randy Moss - Raiders...

packers11
04-03-2007, 04:19 PM
March 3rd - Oakland Raiders $6.275 M ... Thats how much Cap Oakland has...

Since they they signed Dominic Rhodes, Josh Booty, and Justin Griffith...

Therefor they do not have much cap at all, and very little money to sign all the picks they have...

1 1
2 33
3 65
3 99
4 100

they have 5 picks in the first 100...

Now lets look at the #1 last year...

Houston signed Williams to a six-year, $54 million contract, with $26.5 million guaranteed. San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith, the top pick in last year’s draft, got a six-year, $49.5 million contract from the 49ers, with $24 million guaranteed.

Therefor if anything it will be more this year, and more in guaranteed money... Oakland is going to have to cut a lot of people, or trade Randy Moss... Is there something I don't know??? It looks like they will have to move a couple people (hopefully Randy Moss) to make room for the draft...

Thoughts???

MJZiggy
04-03-2007, 04:22 PM
They don't have to do it by cutting Moss, they can restructure a few guys to make up some room and cut some depending on who they end up drafting that they think can replace some people.

This is Al Davis we're dealing with here. The things he does don't actually NEED to make sense to anyone else....

b bulldog
04-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Moss won't be a Raider next seaon.

retailguy
04-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Moss won't be a Raider next seaon.

He won't be a Packer either.

Merlin
04-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Of course they could always go over the cap and just pay the fine like Denver.

packers11
04-03-2007, 06:20 PM

woahhh explain... I've never heard of that... Can you go more in depth with that?

BallHawk
04-03-2007, 06:25 PM

woahhh explain... I've never heard of that... Can you go more in depth with that?

The Broncos were fined, in 2004, I think, for being over the salary cap. The result was a 950,000 fine and the loss of their 3rd round pick.

packers11
04-03-2007, 06:27 PM

The Broncos were fined, in 2004, I think, for being over the salary cap. The result was a 950,000 fine and the loss of their 3rd round pick.

haha ... wow... interesting say the least... I Thought the NFL would just cut some players if it came down to it... So thats how they deal with that situation... Thanks, as they say "You learn something new everyday"...

retailguy
04-03-2007, 06:27 PM

The benefit was back to back super bowl titles. Cost was probably worth it.

Merlin
04-03-2007, 06:29 PM
I think the 49er's did it the year they stole the playoff game from us as well. If you had the team (and I don't think the Raiders are close), wouldn't it be worth a Super Bowl for a slap on the wrist like that?

Salary Cap Rules are "More like guidelines"

:)

retailguy
04-03-2007, 06:29 PM
haha ... wow... interesting say the least... I Thought the NFL would just cut some players if it came down to it... So thats how they deal with that situation... Thanks, as they say "You learn something new everyday"...

Wasn't quite that simple. They had some "off the books" financial transactions with Elway and Terrell Davis?, I think, and got caught.

They certainly were not "obviously" over the cap.

Denver got caught cheating.

Merlin
04-03-2007, 06:31 PM
No it wasn't that simple but it didn't take a genius to figure it out. It was one of those "healthy" rumors that was chosen to be ignored until it didn't matter.

red
04-03-2007, 06:36 PM
they weren't fined for being over the cap, they were fined twice for cheating the cap

they were fined another 950,00 and lost another pick around 2001 i think it was

it had to do with shady restructurings of terrell davis and john elways contracts which allowed the team to go out and pick up some key players that helped them win two super bowls

one story i've read was that those two guys took major pay cuts, the team, or the company that owns the team, then reimbursed the guys with money or other goods outside the realm of the nfl. i think i remember something about a car dealership

which would be a giant no-no

however it happened, the nfl has said the broncos broke the rules, and have been fined for doing so losing 2 draft picks and almost 2 million dollars.

we should have one two in a row, but lost to a team that cheated to get to that elite level

sepporepi
04-05-2007, 04:08 AM
Does anyone know the exact rules.
I always thought about the possibility to "pay" players in a smart/illagal way and how to stop it. If you are a bilionaire first team owner second you will most likely have a ton of companies which can pay the player for something he "does". Most likely this is forbidden, at least I hope it is :oops: .

But a billionaire owner will have enough "friends" with companies who could do the same. Lets say you let somone build your stadium for aboout 700millions and in return he gives your top player a real big spokesman job/advertising contract or whatever. Is the also forbidden? :?:

And if so, how many middlemen you need to make it legal?

Lets sayer Owner A makes a deal with businessman B and B with C and C with the top star. Legal? :?:

My conclusion is, it is almost impossible to control that kind of stuff. Who can determine what outsite job of a player is a hidden team salary?

Are there rules to determine this?

Rastak
04-05-2007, 06:15 AM
Does anyone know the exact rules.
I always thought about the possibility to "pay" players in a smart/illagal way and how to stop it. If you are a bilionaire first team owner second you will most likely have a ton of companies which can pay the player for something he "does". Most likely this is forbidden, at least I hope it is :oops: .

But a billionaire owner will have enough "friends" with companies who could do the same. Lets say you let somone build your stadium for aboout 700millions and in return he gives your top player a real big spokesman job/advertising contract or whatever. Is the also forbidden? :?:

And if so, how many middlemen you need to make it legal?

Lets sayer Owner A makes a deal with businessman B and B with C and C with the top star. Legal? :?:

My conclusion is, it is almost impossible to control that kind of stuff. Who can determine what outsite job of a player is a hidden team salary?

Are there rules to determine this?

That's 100% forbidden. There are rules against any kind of financial or other compensation outside of a players contract in the NFL. I think the commish would come down extremely hard on any team found doing that. That's pretty much what Denver tried to do with Elway.

sepporepi
04-05-2007, 06:26 AM
But how to control it?

If a player gets an endorsement deal it must be made sure it is not a hidden team salary. So neither the team, the owner, a employee is allowed to have any connection to the company?

I think that is impossible to enforce.

MJZiggy
04-05-2007, 07:21 AM
I think the problem with that scenario is that there's a difference between a business partner making a nice endorsement deal to a player as a favor to the owner (one which the player may or may not have worked out on his own) and the owner paying a company to give that endorsement deal. In the first case, I don't know that the player takes the deal as he migh have gotten that endoresement on his own and he will still have to do the work involved in the endorsement (filming, appearances, etc). In the second case, that's just blatantly gonna get you caught.

Rastak
04-05-2007, 08:05 AM
But how to control it?

If a player gets an endorsement deal it must be made sure it is not a hidden team salary. So neither the team, the owner, a employee is allowed to have any connection to the company?

I think that is impossible to enforce.

It's enforceable. It's a huge risk for a team to get caught doing it and Denver got caught. NFL management isn't full of idiots. They could figure out such a relationship unless it was very well hidden. And the better hidden it is the harder it would be to deny it was deliberate.

Guiness
04-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I know it's sour grapes and all, but you look at it, and there were three years where we had an amazing chance at the SB. The two we didn't get it, we were beaten by teams proven to be cheaters later.

Denver did beat us on the field that SB, so that one doesn't sting as much as that loss to SF.