PDA

View Full Version : Sporting news columnist Vinnie Iyer's take on GB's pick

GoPackGo
04-03-2007, 04:28 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=193700#start_comments

Iyer's SportingBlog
32-day mock draft: What should Packers do at No. 16?
April 3, 2007

As we're about to hit the halfway point of our 32-day mock draft, let's take inventory of what's happened with the first 15 selections. It's Defense 8, Offense 7, so we're pretty balanced there. We've tapped into LSU and Michigan twice each; otherwise it's 11 picks from 11 different schools.

Picking in the middle of the first round will make things interesting for the Packers, as it can be a most unpredictable waiting game. Over the past 10 years, the No. 16 pick has been either a quick hit (Jevon Kearse, Julian Peterson, Santana Moss, Troy Polamalu) or a bad miss (Reidel Anthony, Kevin Dyson, Jason Allen).

The Packers' biggest need is some kind of spark. They were the prototypical 8-8 team last season as they were average both offensively and defensively. All in all, it was a pretty good first year for coach Mike McCarthy, and with ominous clouds hovering over Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit, Green Bay could easily sneak away with the weak NFC North in his second season.

The key, however, is getting past "average" and become more exciting. The Packers could use a big playmaking safety in that regard, but considering only one running back and two wide receivers have come off our mock board, I think offense is the better path.

Running back is an obvious need with the free-agent departure of Ahman Green, but I can't see the Pack taking a back such as Cal's Marshawn Lynch this high. They can get by with a committee of Vernand Morency, Noah Herron and some complementary back they draft later. Besides, Lynch (5-11, 215) isn't that different of a body from Morency (5-9, 212). With the Packers' zone-blocking scheme, they should be able to produce with a variety of "system" runners.

LSU wide receiver Dwayne Bowe sounds like a better option. He's a big, explosive target made for the red zone, someone who can play off what Donald Driver and Greg Jennings do on the perimeter to produce in key situations over the middle. Bowe would be a great way to go, but I just happen to like one pass-catching athlete a bit better.

Final decision: Miami (Fla.) TE Greg Olsen. The Packers have had some good success with another former Hurricane, Bubba Franks, for seven seasons. But Franks' role as a receiver has diminished the past two years -- he's coming off back-to-back career-low 25-catch efforts and for the first time, went without a TD in '06. David Martin looked like a promising replacement, but he left for Miami's pro team as a free agent.

One of the popular scoring strikes Brett Favre has thrown over the years is the West Coast staple "sprint option right", often going to tight ends -- Franks, Martin, and before them, Mark Chmura. Considering the talent Driver, Jennings and even Morency bring to the passing game, Olsen can find room to operate in the Packers' offense and find himself often as an open target.

Olsen was ridiculously good in his postseason workouts, dazzling everyone as one of the draft's best all-around athletes. He may need time to develop as a blocker to play full-time -- something with which Franks and McCarthy will help him -- but Olsen has the speed, explosiveness and receiving skills to make an impact as a second tight end/slot option in third down/red zone situations. The Pack are in position to make one last playoff push with Favre as their quarterback, and giving him a immediate playmaker is their best possible move.

Past picks
1. Raiders, QB JaMarcus Russell
2. Lions, DE Gaines Adams
3. Browns, RB Adrian Peterson
4. Bucs, WR Calvin Johnson
5. Cardinals, OT Joe Thomas
6. Redskins, DE Jamaal Anderson
7. Vikings, CB Leon Hall
8. Falcons, S LaRon Landry
9. Dolphins, OT Levi Brown
10. Texans, WR/KR Ted Ginn Jr.
11. 49ers, DT Alan Branch
12. Bills, ILB Patrick Willis
13. Rams, DT Amobi Okoye
14. Panthers, QB Brady Quinn
15. Steelers, OLB Lawrence Timmons

b bulldog
04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Lynch is free falling

GoPackGo
04-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Alot of Mock Drafts say Buffalo will be taking Lynch at pick #12

Bossman641
04-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Please no to Olsen that early.

ND72
04-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Alot of Mock Drafts say Buffalo will be taking Lynch at pick #12

Buffalo has a lot of pressing problems with holes on their defense...I think they go Defense in round 1.

red
04-03-2007, 06:54 PM

i have absolutely no problem taking olsen right there

he's huge and fast with great hands and fills a massive need we have

Packnut
04-03-2007, 07:37 PM

I guess that's the positive side of having so many needs. Pretty much any pick fills a hole somewhere.

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2007, 09:15 PM

He's not huge. He has good height at 6'5" (most TEs are that tall), but he's pretty slight for a TE. He doesn't look much bigger than Drew Bennett to me.

footballfever
04-04-2007, 04:25 AM
I just read Pat Kirwans latest mock draft on nfl.com (http://nfl.com/draft/story/10105979) says that marshawn lynch's status is dropping and he has him right out of the first round, what happened to lynch? did I miss something?

Fritz
04-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Yes, you did. Rumor has it his coaches at Cal are dissing him in interviews with pro scouts.

For some reason I'm not a big Greg Olsen fan.

woodbuck27
04-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Whoever TT takes I just hope that he fills a need and has excellent promise to produce this season. Then we pray that he stays healthy.

I don't see him choosing Marshawn Lynch either. There is too much flap about this RB that will translate to risk to Ted Thompson.

Ted Thompson sure knows how to play safe. :)

ny10804
04-05-2007, 04:39 PM
I get the feeling Ted wouldn't take Olsen. He was unproductive and didn't live up to his potential, but had fabulous #s at the combine and workouts. Contrast this to a guy like Zach Miller: very productive and a hard worker who was underwhelming in his measurables. My bet is Ted has Miller rated over Olsen, and can probably take Miller with our second.

Kinda like the Chad Jackson -- Greg Jennings scenario. Could've had Jackson at #33 (or w/e pick it was), but passed and took Jennings later.

pbmax
04-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, you did. Rumor has it his coaches at Cal are dissing him in interviews with pro scouts.

For some reason I'm not a big Greg Olsen fan.
I have the same lack of enthusiasm about him, but its because all the buzz is about his workout. Everytime this happens, I get Mamula-phobia.

Spaulding
04-06-2007, 08:49 AM
If there is one thing I agree on with TT is that measureables are overrated versus past collegiate performances.

Mandrich (although his was roids)/Leaf (one year starter?)/Troy Williamson, etc.

Bob Sanders is a prime example. Dropped due to combine results I believe and size left question marks and he flat out made the Colts entire defense better when on the field.

For that simple reason, based on need and best player available one would think the Packers would take a Safety/Running Back/TE ideally. If this holds true, then given the zone scheme the need for RB drops to later rounds (I'm not a fan of Lynch anyways) and it becomes a value issue between Reggie Nelson and Greg Olsen (unless the sky is green and yellow and Landry somehow is still on the board - then Hallelujah!). Nelson will have a bigger impact on your defense than Olsen will have on the offensive side of the ball as prior posters had noted, Olsen just didn't produce to the level of a player being drafted in the middle of the first round.

We could then move Collins to SS (he's better suited for that given his tendency to play the line and ability to tackle in my eyes) and give Nelson free reign at FS to make plays and play sideline to sideline with his speed.