PDA

View Full Version : What do I do in Salt Lake?

GBRulz
04-03-2007, 06:34 PM
I have to go to Salt Lake City for two weeks for work. Anyone ever been there? Am I going to go into culture shock?

I'm a photography junkie, so I do want to do some sight seeing. From pics that I've seen, Utah is beautiful. I'll be pretty busy during the week, but on the weekend I'll have some free time. Any places to go or see that you recommend?

packinpatland
04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Head for the mountains, they are spectacular. Don't plan on going to too many 'nite spots' tho! Pretty dry place.

CyclonePackFan
04-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Find multiple spouses :twisted:

packinpatland
04-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Now, now you know they don't do that anymore.......................do they?

GBRulz
04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
The Mormons don't, no. However, I'm sure there are still plenty of polygymists in the area!

I was thinking of renting a car and driving to yellowstone over the weekend while I'm there. According to Mapquest, it's about 6 hours, which means 4-1/2 by my standards, lol

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2007, 09:00 PM
I think Yellowstone is overrated. I heard there are some beautiful places in Utah. Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, and such. Utah is the only Western state I haven't been to.

BallHawk
04-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Say hi to Bill Henrickson for me.

oregonpackfan
04-03-2007, 09:14 PM
I think Yellowstone is overrated. I heard there are some beautiful places in Utah. Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, and such. Utah is the only Western state I haven't been to.

The way to truly appreciate Yellowstone, IMO, is to get off the tourist loops and take hikes through the backcountry. There you will get a true appreciation of the park and its beauty.

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2007, 09:16 PM
IMHO, Glacier National Park is much nicer, and it doesn't get half the pub.

oregonpackfan
04-03-2007, 09:18 PM
IMHO, Glacier National Park is much nicer, and it doesn't get half the pub.

Harvey,

I have to agree with you about Glacier being superior to Yellowstone. I found it incredible where some of its scenery literally takes your breath away.

oregonpackfan
04-03-2007, 09:21 PM
GBRulz,

I believe Utah also has a huge dinosaur bone find. The Paleontologists are still slowly excavating some of its many bones.

Young kids, and those of us who are young at heart, remain fascinated by dinosaurs.

packinpatland
04-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Glacier Park's 'Road to the Sun' is unreal.
Even you, GB, would have to slow down!

MadtownPacker
04-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Just make sure you dont meet up with some inbred hillbillies like on "The Hills have Eyes". :lol:

Want about swimming? You gonna see if you really do float in the salt water?

BallHawk
04-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Just make sure you dont meet up with some inbred hillbillies like on "The Hills have Eyes". :lol:

Want about swimming? You gonna see if you really do float in the salt water?

In the Dead Sea you do. It's awesome.

GBRulz
04-04-2007, 12:46 PM
haha, thanks for your caring words, Mad ! I'm more worried about getting tanked and coming home as someone's 6th wife !

I was looking at some ATV Tours that looked cool, but unfortunetely, there is still alot of snow in the mountains so the tours don't start running until June. I don't think I'll have time to drive to Southern Utah.

Does anyone recommend Park City? I am kinda looking for things within about 2 hours of the city.

GBRulz
04-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Head for the mountains, they are spectacular. Don't plan on going to too many 'nite spots' tho! Pretty dry place.

I just read where you actually have to buy like a license to get into bars around there. I forget exactly how they worded it, but basically it seems to act like a cover charge. I also read where restaurants have 2 drink maximum's in an hour.

I am coming from the state that boasts the largest party school in the nation and going to the state with the lowest party school! (BYU) I think I'm in for an ounce of culture shock !

packinpatland
04-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Doesn't it defy all logic that Jim McMahan went to BYU?

oregonpackfan
04-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Doesn't it defy all logic that Jim McMahan went to BYU?

In his yearbook, McMahon was asked, "What is your most memorable experience at BYU?"

His response: "Leaving it!"

packinpatland
04-04-2007, 02:50 PM
By the way, sure like your new avatar.

Fosco33
04-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I now live in SLC during the week for work. If you ski, this place is ridiculous.

The hiking will be sweet in a few weeks.

The bars - err - 'social clubs' are pretty lame. You have to get a license to drink (membership) and the beer is only 3.2%. If you like mixed drinks, it's limited to like 3/4 of a shot.

Unfortunately, I've only been here a few weeks myself otherwise I'd give you some more options.

GBRulz
04-04-2007, 09:32 PM
ok, what is 3.2% beer? Is that like domestic stuff, say Miller or Bud?

How much is a pack of smokes in Utah? Do I need to stock up here? :wink:

oregonpackfan
04-04-2007, 11:34 PM
By the way, sure like your new avatar.

Thanks much.

I wanted to give equal time to the Oregon State Beavers as well as the Oregon Ducks. In this state, many native Oregonians believe you have to "Love one team and hate the other."

As a transplanted Wisconsinite, I happen to cheer for both teams.

My primary college football allegiance, however, remains the Wisconsin Badgers.

Zool
04-05-2007, 07:47 AM

How much is a pack of smokes in Utah? Do I need to stock up here? :wink:3.2 beer is sold is Iowa as well. Its 1/2 the alcohol content of standard beer. In MN, its the only thing you can buy after 8:00. You just have to drink it twice as fast.

Fosco33
04-05-2007, 12:31 PM

How much is a pack of smokes in Utah? Do I need to stock up here? :wink:3.2 beer is sold is Iowa as well. Its 1/2 the alcohol content of standard beer. In MN, its the only thing you can buy after 8:00. You just have to drink it twice as fast.

If you check bags, bring some real liquor and drink before you go out.

3.2 blows - it's like drinking water - even moreso than normal. I do feel pretty cool when I can pound back a 12er though :lol:

In reality, a few other states have 3.2 (Colorado/Oklahoma - and others). It's actually not 'half' because the brewers have to measure by weight instead of volume. So, 3.2 is really about 4.8% when thinking about Miller Lite as 6%. Roughly, a 6 pack in Utah is about 5 beers anywhere else - but the taste is noticable.

Scott Campbell
04-06-2007, 01:28 AM
You can be in West Yellowstone in 4.5 hours. You can be in Zion in about 5 hours. I'd highly recommend Zion if you can only check out one of them. Especially at this time of year. The weather there is more like Phoenix than SLC. I love Yellowstone, but Zion is my favorite. Be sure and hike Angel's Landing if you go.

Scott Campbell
04-06-2007, 01:29 AM
If you ski, this place is ridiculous.

hehehe.....

GBRulz
04-06-2007, 08:57 AM

hehehe.....

I can barely get down a run on one of the ski hills in the UP without falling. I think I'll pass on the Utah mountains!

I wouldn't mind doing some hiking. Probably will have to go south though, so I'm not dealing with snow!

Fosco33
04-06-2007, 03:04 PM

hehehe.....

I can barely get down a run on one of the ski hills in the UP without falling. I think I'll pass on the Utah mountains!

I wouldn't mind doing some hiking. Probably will have to go south though, so I'm not dealing with snow!

I went down Deer Valley during the film fest in Jan '06. I was in a blue/green level :shock:

I'd only been skiing a few other times (and all large mountains) - I get to the top off the 2nd lift and was about to crap my pants. I ended up making a couple long runs and got better but skiing is not my forte :oops: -Bad knees-

GBRulz
04-15-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm flying out today, with a drink in hand already as I hate flying. I had a really bad experience like 10 years ago when we flew to Vegas. Worst plane ride ever. Ever since then, I won't get on a plane without at least 3 drinks!

I was doing some research on Zion National Park. Some of the hiking trails are ridiculous! I think one was called Angel's Landing. It looks to be about 4 feet wide and the deep canyon is below! As some of you know, I'm a photography junkie, so I'm way excited about some of the great photo op's that I'll have out there.

oregonpackfan
04-15-2007, 10:30 AM
GBRulz,

Have a great trip! Who knows? You might run into Robert Redford out there.

Upon your return, we all expect a full accounting of your Utah adventures. Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Scott Campbell
04-15-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm flying out today, with a drink in hand already as I hate flying. I had a really bad experience like 10 years ago when we flew to Vegas. Worst plane ride ever. Ever since then, I won't get on a plane without at least 3 drinks!

I was doing some research on Zion National Park. Some of the hiking trails are ridiculous! I think one was called Angel's Landing. It looks to be about 4 feet wide and the deep canyon is below! As some of you know, I'm a photography junkie, so I'm way excited about some of the great photo op's that I'll have out there.

That's my favorite hike of all time. Before you get too freaked out, on one of my trips I ran into a woman and her son at the top. They were celebrating her 70th birthday. My wife and I vowed to do the same on ours. The last half mile is somewhat of a scramble, and they have chains tethered to the rock for support if you need it. It's not particularly difficult, but it will freak you out some - especially if you are afraid of heights.

The other hike there that I really like a lot is the Narrows. It's a 17 mile all day hike, and in parts it is a very narrow slot canyon cut by the Virgin river. You probably can't go this time of year because the water level is likely too high. Rent neoprene boots for this one, and plan on spending about a third of the day in the river, because it's sheer 1000 foot rock walls on either side. Yeah, it's cold water, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Narrows:

http://www.retroklang.com/img/2006/20060196.jpg

Scott Campbell
04-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Angels Landing:

http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/photos/phang1.JPG

And pics never do them justice.

MJZiggy
04-15-2007, 12:31 PM
I think next year's vacation is starting to take shape here...Wow that's gorgeous.

oregonpackfan
04-15-2007, 02:35 PM
I think next year's vacation is starting to take shape here...Wow that's gorgeous.

There is nothing like the expansivenss of Western skies.

GBRulz
04-16-2007, 10:35 PM
I've been major busy with work stuff here but this area is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait until the weekend when I can get out and do some hiking.

Also, had a beer tonight called Polygamy Porter. Good stuff !!

Partial
04-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Angels Landing:

http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/photos/phang1.JPG

And pics never do them justice.

That is what I want.

oregonpackfan
04-17-2007, 12:05 AM
I've been major busy with work stuff here but this area is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait until the weekend when I can get out and do some hiking.

Also, had a beer tonight called Polygamy Porter. Good stuff !!

GBRulz,

If while drinking your Polygame Porter, some guy walks up to you and coyly says, "I think you are just the woman for wife #5" you drop that beer and get the hell out of there! :lol:

Iron Mike
04-17-2007, 12:26 AM
The bars - err - 'social clubs' are pretty lame. You have to get a license to drink (membership) and the beer is only 3.2%. If you like mixed drinks, it's limited to like 3/4 of a shot.

If you go to 200 West Center Street in Provo.......that's where the "across the border" bar dance scene in "Footloose" was filmed.
http://www.moviehole.net/img/footloose.jpg

BEARMAN
04-22-2007, 04:48 PM
You could have gone to Moab, about 200 miles S/E and had a ball! EJS(Easter Jeepers Safari) was a blast ! Sites, Parties, Great Wheeling, Babes, Boobs, Awsume 4x4's. What more can a man ask for ? 8-) Big tires, Big boobs, Big rocks !

oregonpackfan
04-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Sites, Parties, Great Wheeling, Babes, Boobs, Awsume 4x4's. What more can a man ask for ? 8-) !

How about asking for a membership to the Green Bay Packers Fan Club? :)

C'mon, Bearman! We all know you are a later Packers fan just waiting to shed your bearskin! :D

Scott Campbell
04-22-2007, 10:21 PM
What more can a man ask for ?

In your case, I'd say a half ass decent QB.

BEARMAN
04-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Atleast my QB dosent have grey hair and beard ! :roll: Farve is older then most of you fans ! :shock: As far as me converting to a wackerpacker fan, ... The day they start serving icecream in haties ! or, When pigs fly ! or When packer fans family trees have more then ONE branch ! :twisted:
For you educationaly challenged (most wacker fans) that will be " NEVER " ! 8-)

oregonpackfan
04-25-2007, 03:31 PM
As far as me converting to a wackerpacker fan, ... The day they start serving icecream in haties ! or, When pigs fly ! or When packer fans family trees have more then ONE branch ! :twisted:
For you educationaly challenged (most Packer fans) that will be " NEVER " ! 8-)[/quote]

So Bearman,

Is your response an "Undecided," a "Maybe" or an "I will have to consult with my Ouiji Board?" :)

Zool
04-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Atleast my QB dosent have grey hair and beard ! :roll: Favre is older then most of you fans ! :shock: As far as me converting to a wackerpacker fan, ... The day they start serving icecream in haties ! or, When pigs fly ! or When packer fans family trees have more then ONE branch ! :twisted:
For you educationaly challenged (most Packer fans) that will be " NEVER " ! 8-)So Haitians dont like ice cream? What do the kids eat for a treat when its hot out?

Oohhhhh Hades?

Back to Illinois Mr Fib

Iron Mike
04-25-2007, 04:19 PM
:laugh:
For you educationaly challenged (most Packer fans) that will be " NEVER " ! 8-)

OMG--we don't even have to make fun of this guy.......he does it by HIMSELF.

K-town
04-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Atleast my QB dosent have grey hair and beard ! :roll: Favre is older then most of you fans ! :shock: As far as me converting to a wackerpacker fan, ... The day they start serving icecream in haties ! or, When pigs fly ! or When packer fans family trees have more then ONE branch ! :twisted:
For you educationaly challenged (most Packer fans) that will be " NEVER " ! 8-)

1) Your QB is Cade McNown...er... Rex Grossman (the sex cannon)
That's working out real well for you. Hee.
2) Didn't know there was an age limit for NFL fans.
3) haties? Haiti? HADES?
4) The proper terminology is "the family tree doesn't fork." After meeting
my fair share of Bear fans, I suspect their family trees look like
telephone poles as well.
5) With as many grammatical errors as you make, should you be
commenting on education at all? Or is this indicative of the Illinois school
system?

GBRulz
05-02-2007, 09:31 AM
well, I came back thinking I truly am an alcoholic when I can go to a bar and drink 3 beers and not feel anything....thank you Utah!!!

In case some of you are interested, here is a link to some photo's I took while I was out there. The scenery wasn't the greatest this time of year, as things were still very "brown" up in the mountains, but here goes....

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2092743537&code=27748308&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

packinpatland
05-02-2007, 10:15 AM
well, I came back thinking I truly am an alcoholic when I can go to a bar and drink 3 beers and not feel anything....thank you Utah!!!

In case some of you are interested, here is a link to some photo's I took while I was out there. The scenery wasn't the greatest this time of year, as things were still very "brown" up in the mountains, but here goes....

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2092743537&code=27748308&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

Wow! Some of those are fantastic.

BallHawk
05-02-2007, 04:01 PM

Wow, I didn't realize how great Utah's scenery was! As said, those look fantastic.

GB, out of curiosity, what type of Camera are you using? Those pics look great.

oregonpackfan
05-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Great pictures, GBRulz!

Though I will always have a special fondness for the beauty of my native Wisconsin, it can't compare with the rugged beauty of the west.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Wow, I didn't realize how great Utah's scenery was! As said, those look fantastic.

Those shots are from right around the Salt Lake area - minutes from downtown. The state is extremely diverse, with many different ecosystems that look much different than the one in those shots. There are 5 National Parks here. And that doesn't count Lake Powel or the ski resorts. You wouldn't see them designate 5 National Parks in say Illinois. I think the scenery in Illinois is perfectly suited for garbage dumps, neuclear waste and the Bears - you know, the stuff nobody else wants.

Anyway, many of the Intermountain/Western states are just as spectacular, including Montana, Colorado, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California.

packinpatland
05-02-2007, 09:04 PM
I agree with you Scott, the western states are grand.
But oh..................Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Block island, then up to Vermont, Maine................

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2007, 09:26 PM
I've been to all--except Utah. Must say that western Montana is my favorite.

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Now I wanna go on vacation!! :P

GBRulz
05-02-2007, 10:18 PM

GB, out of curiosity, what type of Camera are you using? Those pics look great.

Thanks, Ballhawk. To be honest, the pictures don't do the scenery justice. Yes, like Scott said, these were taken within like 20 minutes of Salt Lake City. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the time to head down to Zion like I wanted. Plus the weekend that I was there, the weather was crappy. Zion is where all the red rock is, that is the stuff that I really wanted to see. Luckily, there is this airline that flys direct to Vegas from GB, twice a week and Zion is only about an hour and a half drive from there. Vs the 5 hour drive from Salt Lake. Seeing as the company that I work for now is based out of there, I'm sure I will get to go back again. If not, that is what vacation time is for!

The camera I used is a Sony DSC-H5. It's classified as a point and shoot, but it is a little bigger seeing it has the 12x zoom. It also has all the manual adjustments that a DSLR has, which came in very handy on top of the mountain where within a 10 minute span we saw major snow, then sunshine then snow again. It's amazing that within a 10 minute car ride of how fast the terrain changes in the mountains.

The culture there is a little different than here. Instead of seeing a liquor store on every corner, you see a 7 Eleven or a place that sells jail bonds! Speaking of the liquor store, I went in (after driving for 30 minutes before we found one) and asked where the cold beer was. The lady says "you aren't from Utah, are you?" Apparently, selling cold beer in a liquor store is too much to ask for. But, unless you want the watered down stuff that is served in the restaurants and bars, the liquor store is your only option for "normal" beer.

Got to a few downtown bars, but they are somewhat scattered about so we pretty much stayed at the same two. Scott, you will appreciate this one.... we were taking the Trax downtown and there was a cop on the train. I asked him which stop do we want to get off for the Tavernacle. Well, he told us Temple Square. Apparently, he thought I mean the Tabernacle (big building where the Mormon Choir sings). So, we're walking around and asking people where the Tavernacle is and everyone pointed us to the Mormon Choir place. Finally I said "no, the Tavernacle, the duel piano bar". Well, 3 had never heard of it and finally a guy pointed us in the right direction!

All in all, it was a great trip and I really did enjoy my stay there. I def will go back again to visit.

GBRulz
05-02-2007, 10:25 PM
This is just too damn funny!! A very popular beer in Salt Lake!
"Why have Just One?"

http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/d30-20/polygamy-porter.jpg

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 11:13 PM
The culture there is a little different than here.

ROFL

Understatement of the century!

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Scott, you will appreciate this one.... we were taking the Trax downtown and there was a cop on the train. I asked him which stop do we want to get off for the Tavernacle. Well, he told us Temple Square. Apparently, he thought I mean the Tabernacle (big building where the Mormon Choir sings). So, we're walking around and asking people where the Tavernacle is and everyone pointed us to the Mormon Choir place. Finally I said "no, the Tavernacle, the duel piano bar". Well, 3 had never heard of it and finally a guy pointed us in the right direction!

Yeah, there's a lot of that kind of thing that goes on here. You almost have to learn a new language. When we first moved here, a kid walking by our house asked my wife where the stake house was. She told him "I don't know, but there's a Red Lobster down by the mall".

A stake house is a LDS church.

BEARMAN
05-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Is proper grammar, spelling and sentence structure a prerequisite to being a member ? No ? Good, then Joke you if you can't take a f#*k ! :twisted: You all seem to get the gist of what I am saying, so I am doing OK ! :P

Plane tickets to Chicago: $489.00
Tickets to a BEARS, GB game: $210.00
BEARS hats, shirts and foam claw: $175.00
Watching DA BEARS kick farves arse in person: Pricless ! 8-)

Fosco33
05-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Scott, you will appreciate this one.... we were taking the Trax downtown and there was a cop on the train. I asked him which stop do we want to get off for the Tavernacle. Well, he told us Temple Square. Apparently, he thought I mean the Tabernacle (big building where the Mormon Choir sings). So, we're walking around and asking people where the Tavernacle is and everyone pointed us to the Mormon Choir place. Finally I said "no, the Tavernacle, the duel piano bar". Well, 3 had never heard of it and finally a guy pointed us in the right direction!

Yeah, there's a lot of that kind of thing that goes on here. You almost have to learn a new language. When we first moved here, a kid walking by our house asked my wife where the stake house was. She told him "I don't know, but there's a Red Lobster down by the mall".

I went there last month - kinda dumpy for a bar but pretty fun nonetheless. They had like 2 dollar Bud Light and let us order food from their 'menu' which is actually a compilation of other restaurants.

Scott Campbell
05-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Watching KGB ravage Grossman's arse in person: Pricless ! 8-)

packinpatland
05-04-2007, 08:57 AM

Now, why do you encourage him? :roll:

MJZiggy
05-04-2007, 09:11 AM

'Cause it's kinda fun to poke the Bear!!!! :P

Scott Campbell
05-04-2007, 09:15 AM

I can't help myself. Every season is Bear hunting season.

:oops:

GBRulz
05-04-2007, 09:36 AM

OMG, I am dying over here!!! That is too funny. I can just see the look on that kids face! Did you have a missionary at your doorstep the next day? :lol:

packinpatland
05-04-2007, 10:20 AM
A few years ago new neighbors moved in across the street. They were from Chicago, not important, more importantly, they talked 'midwest' lingo.

My old next door neighbors said they declined their invite to come over for some 'pop', because they didn't want to associate with drug users. :lol:

oregonpackfan
05-04-2007, 08:18 PM

'Cause it's kinda fun to poke the Bear!!!! :P

MJZiggy,

Be careful about poking the Bear. You could have PETA show up at your doorstep! :)