PDA

View Full Version : Sorgi's Riches

MJZiggy
04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Sorgi Earns Gas Money With Bonus Check

Posted Mar 31st 2007 12:03PM by Ryan Wilson
Filed under: Colts, AFC South

Every off-season NFL players receive performance-based bonus checks based on a comparison of playing time and the player's adjusted regular-season compensation.

According to the Indianapolis Star, "[g]enerally, individuals who receive the largest checks played a prominent role for their team while earning low base salaries." This explains why rookie safety Antoine Bethea, who started 14 games, pulled down an extra $259,249, the league's fourth-highest bonus.

It also sheds some light on backup quarterback Jim Sorgi finding a $189 check in his mailbox. That's right, $189, or roughly $115 after taxes.

Sorgi's minuscule check was a result of him getting on the field for just one play during the 2006 regular season -- as a holder on an extra point against Houston. Quarterback Peyton Manning took all 1,011 offensive snaps.

I wonder if these checks are itemized. I ask because Tony Romo's statement is sure to have a line for "botched hold on game-winning field-goal attempt during playoffs: -$189."

TennesseePackerBacker
04-04-2007, 11:33 AM
:lol: nice post, over the years seeing Sorgi come in to replace Peyton in the waning moments of the game has always been comical.

He's got a hell of a job though, just like any GB backup QB for the past 17-18 years.

KYPack
04-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah, nice catch there, Zig

I've never heard of that portion of the comp package before.

I imagine Sorgi is happy they published his share.