PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Sports Packer Analysis

LL2
04-04-2007, 03:34 PM
This is a much better draft analysis than the one by ESPN's on the clock. I agree with the review below about RB. If TT and M3 feel what they have and perhaps getting someone in the 2nd or 3rd rd, they most likely will go with the best WR, S, or TE. Unless they are sold on Lynch and he’s there for the picking, but teams that use the ZBS do not seem to draft RB in the 1st rd.

Team needs: RB, CB, TE, WR, S
Overall pick/round: 16 (1), 47 (2), 78 (3), 112 (4), 157 (5), 193 (6), 228 (7), 235 (7), 243 (7)

RB: The Packers' staff is making more believers in the belief that it feels comfortable entering training camp with a combination of Vernand Morency as the potential starter, and Noah Herron and a draft choice battling for playing time. If that is the case, the Packers will likely pass on a first-round back and wait until later to draft someone, possibly Kenny Irons, Brandon Jackson or Chris Henry.

CB: This position needs to be addressed so that they can line up better against three- to four-wide receiver sets. They have two good starters and are hopeful that '06 fourth-rounder Will Blackmon will develop. The Packers can afford to take someone in the second or third round because they would prefer a defender along the lines of Michael Coe, Tarell Brown, David Irons or C.J. Gaddis.

TE: With Bubba Franks slowing down and David Martin departing via free agency, the time has come to find a pass-catching threat down the middle that can help spread the field for Donald Driver and Greg Jennings. If they do not have a chance at Greg Olsen in the first round, they could opt for players like Ben Patrick, Clark Harris or Martrez Milner between rounds 3 and 4.

WR: Outside of Driver and Jennings, the team has no real depth at this position although former undrafted free agent Ruvell Martin shows signs of being a capable reserve when healthy. The Packers would like to find someone that is more of the physical, possession type, and could also opt to add a second receiver that could add some punch to their return game later in the draft.

S: They added veteran Marquand Manuel a year ago via free agency, but he did not produce nearly enough big plays. Nick Collins continues to grow, but finding a prospect with better range, speed and ball skills to challenge Manuel for playing time would improve the pass-coverage ability of the entire secondary.

packinpatland
04-04-2007, 04:20 PM
It's good, but still alot of rehash.

packrulz
04-05-2007, 04:29 AM
Pretty good analysis. I agree that if Lynch is gone TT should wait on drafting a RB. I still think if Tenn trades for Turner TT will have a good shot at signing Chris Brown. I think Michael Bush, RB, Louisville, could slip because of his broken leg, he could be the 3rd best back in the draft and might be had in the 3rd round. I like CB Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh, in the first, he also returns punts, Sidney Rice, WR, SC, in the 2nd rnd, & Bush in the 3rd round, his size would be great for short yardage situations.