PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars re-signed CB Ahmad Carroll

packers11
04-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Jaguars re-signed CB Ahmad Carroll to a one-year, $850,000 contract.

The speedy "Batman" will compete with Terry Cousin, Scott Starks, and Dee Webb for a roster spot and potentially nickel duties in training camp.
Related: Terry Cousin, Scott Starks, Dee Webb

:)

Kiwon
04-04-2007, 11:26 PM
He's still my man, Dawg!

Do you think Sherman doesn't regret drafting this guy several times a week?

Well, at least the Jags are coming to Lambeau. What kind of reception do you think Carroll will get? :twisted:

Dawg!

oregonpackfan
04-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Wow! Carroll is one of the worst, if not THE worst, cornerbacks I have ever seen play for the Packers.

For him to make $800k+ a year is a figure I find truly amazing.

PlantPage55
04-05-2007, 12:56 AM
He's the worst corner I've ever seen play period. There are no exceptions. I've never seen a more incompetent player with LESS sense of awareness or ball skills than this joker.

And I imagine when he gets garbage time in the 4th quarter due to the garbage pre-season game...he will be mocked profusely and quite deservedly.

Patler
04-05-2007, 09:48 PM
He's the worst corner I've ever seen play period. There are no exceptions. I've never seen a more incompetent player with LESS sense of awareness or ball skills than this joker.

I suspect you weren't watching the Packers during the 1980's.

Brando19
04-05-2007, 09:58 PM
The only thing I liked about Carroll was watching his interviews on packers.com. He was hilarious! He always got snappy with the media...if someone asked him a question that was a little off topic...you knew he was going to light it on them.
But I guess if I was the worst corner in the league knowing my days were numbered, I'd get offensive, too.

Bretsky
04-05-2007, 10:14 PM
To me, Michael Hawthorn was the worst starting CB I remember, and Estus Hood may have been the worst starting CB I recall from the 80's.

I consider Carroll to be horrid, but I think those guys were worse starters.

KYPack
04-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Hawthorne and Joey Thomas are the two worst corners I've seen in recent years. Estes Hood always comes up in these discussions.

Carroll is a puzzle. The guy has some really good skills. He can jump, is quick, and can really run. He is also nuts. He absolutely refused to learn the proper hand skills to play corner. He knew how to get in the WR's hip and run with 'em in press cover, but that's only part of the skills needed to cover effectively. The subtle stuff escaped Carroll, combined with an insane quirk to constantly put his on the reciver's face meant he was dead meat at corner.

All that said, he could be an effective nickle back if he'd learn the proper cover technique. He might, ye never know.

Bretsky
04-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Hawthorne and Joey Thomas are the two worst corners I've seen in recent years. Estes Hood always comes up in these discussions.

Carroll is a puzzle. The guy has some really good skills. He can jump, is quick, and can really run. He is also nuts. He absolutely refused to learn the proper hand skills to play corner. He knew how to get in the WR's hip and run with 'em in press cover, but that's only part of the skills needed to cover effectively. The subtle stuff escaped Carroll, combined with an insane quirk to constantly put his on the reciver's face meant he was dead meat at corner.

All that said, he could be an effective nickle back if he'd learn the proper cover technique. He might, ye never know.

Yes, he could be a very effective DB..if...he was in charge of covering the Fraud

MadtownPacker
04-06-2007, 02:16 AM
:oops:

PlantPage55
04-06-2007, 02:36 AM

I suspect you weren't watching the Packers during the 1980's.

I was born in 1987...so no. Now, there very well may have been worse corners...I just haven't seen them. :D

And yeah...can anyone remember Ahmad actually USING that great vertical of his on the field? Every time Carroll SHOULD have jumped and deflected a ball...I was amazed to see him almost flat-footed...absolutely no field presence or ball skills.

Patler
04-06-2007, 06:28 AM
I will give Carroll credit for one thing that a lot of bad cornerbacks lack - a willingness to tackle. Carrol is not afraid to tackle runninbacks, receivers, whoever.

The second half of 2005 he played well, with fewer penalties the last 8 games than Harris had, as I recall. I thought he had turned a corner.

Bretsky
04-06-2007, 07:16 AM
I will give Carroll credit for one thing that a lot of bad cornerbacks lack - a willingness to tackle. Carrol is not afraid to tackle runninbacks, receivers, whoever.

The second half of 2005 he played well, with fewer penalties the last 8 games than Harris had, as I recall. I thought he had turned a corner.

IMO good coaching and the fact that teams were nearly always ahead of us may have helped his play as well.

How in the world did we ever decide to hire Nottenheimer over a solid secondary coach in Joe Baker ??

Patler
04-06-2007, 08:23 AM

IMO good coaching and the fact that teams were nearly always ahead of us may have helped his play as well.

How in the world did we ever decide to hire Nottenheimer over a solid secondary coach in Joe Baker ??

The odd thing is that while Baker was "in charge" of the secondary, he worked mostly with the safeties, and Lionel Washington worked with the corners, just as in 2006. So there should have been some continuity there.

I am really, really dumbfounded in looking back at the DBs play in 2004, 2005 and 2006. Washington was there through it all. The only difference was Shottenheimer in '04 and '06. You wouldn't think it could make that much difference, but it apparently did.

Thinking back on all three seasons, there was confusion in the backfield in '04 and '06, but not in '05. Where was that confusion? Primarily in the play of the safeties. Roman looked bad in '04, not so bad in '05. Manual looked confused in '06, but supposedly was solid in his responsibilities in Seattle. Collins, I think, looked better for the most part in '05 than in '06.

KYPack
04-06-2007, 08:55 AM

Yes, he could be a very effective DB..if...he was in charge of covering the Fraud

Nickle back, B. Slot cover in the nickle or dime he could do if he'd get his shit together. He can't play corner, there's WAY too many issues with the boy, but he has the skill set to be a good nickle back.

Some of the the "bad" guys that were named can't play a lick.

Carroll is a football player. He'll stick his nose in there and he can really run, he's just nuts. If somebody could straighten the guy out, they'd have a good extra DB.

Patler's right, he made a comeback in late '05 and showed he could play. Last year, he fell apart. The guy is incredibly immature and might put it together. I doubt it, but he might.

Brando19
04-06-2007, 11:05 AM

You're right...he was WILLING to tackle. That doesn't mean he was good at it. I remember alot of games he would go to tackle somebody and he'd miss or they'd break free. I think he had more pass interference calls than total tackles.

Patler
04-06-2007, 11:13 AM

You're right...he was WILLING to tackle. That doesn't mean he was good at it. I remember alot of games he would go to tackle somebody and he'd miss or they'd break free. I think he had more pass interference calls than total tackles.

Not true at all. Carroll is a decent tackler, especially in run support.
In 2005 Carroll had 9 missed tackles, Al Harris had 8. Collins had 19, Roman 12. Considering more plays probably went at Carrroll than Harris (i'm guessing) he did a fine job tackling.

It's not hard to rmember a DB missing a tackle. They all do. Generally they are smaller and often are trying to make open field tackles against bigger guys with momentum on their side. I remember Carroll making more good tackles on runningbacks than I remember him missing.

Certainly not a great corner, but I won't discredit his tackiling ability. He does that pretty well for a cornerback, especially for a somewhat smaller one.

Brando19
04-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Oh well...he cost us some points, that is true...and a Philadelphia game on MNF.

esoxx
04-07-2007, 06:46 PM
I would put Carroll in the Vinnie Clark class given their status as #1 CB draft picks and subsequent busts. It has as much or more to do with their expectiations coming in based on how they were acquired than anything. If Carroll had been a late round pick he might still be on the roster as a dime back. He wasnt, given his draft status, and was put in to produce right away, subsequently being exposed.

He might turn out to be a decent nickel, dime back someday, but doesn't appear to have starter ability. Being a utility CB on passing downs does not fit the template Carroll was drafted for on this team.