PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Be a Bust?

BallHawk
04-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Ok, here's how it works.... Choose one player from each these categories, that you think will be a bust.

QB
RB
WR/TE
OL
DL
LB
Secondary

At the end of the season I'll bring this thread back up and see who was right and who was wrong. I did this at another forum once and it was a blast. A lot of these guys, at the end of the season, will still be up in the air in regards to their successfulness, but on some guys you can tell. Also, you don't have to choose big time players to be busts. If you think a guy that goes in the 2nd round is gonna be crap, than say so.

QB: JaMarcus Russel

RB: Marshawn Lynch

WR/TE: Anthony Gonzalez

OL: Joe Staley

DL: Alan Branch

LB: Buster Davis

Secondary: Leon Hall

LaFours
04-05-2007, 09:03 AM
To be fair to these players, I think you'll need to wait until the end of the '09/'10 season since it has been established that it usually takes at least 3 years to effectively evaluate a draft class.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-05-2007, 09:07 AM
I agree with you BallHawk on JaMarcus Russel and Alan Branch. However I think Lynch and Hall will be pretty good. For Wr, I think Meachem is going to be a bust.

MacCool606
04-05-2007, 09:20 AM
And, in fairness to these players, it depends on what team they end up on. Early on, alot depends on your coaching, the scheme, and the players around them.

LL2
04-05-2007, 09:24 AM
I think Scarlett Johansen will be a bust. Ooops wrong thread!

BallHawk
04-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah, you definitely can't tell on some players for some few years. However, there are always indicators. Also, some players like Joseph Addai were predicted to be average, and he had 1,000 yards. Hopefully, this forum will be around long enough so that we will be able to see these predictions down the road.

mmmdk
04-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I think Scarlett Johansen will be a bust. Ooops wrong thread!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :shock: :D

Charles Woodson
04-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Why did you say buster davis?

Guiness
04-05-2007, 10:29 AM
I'll agree Russel could be a bust. Could just as easily be great, but I think he's going to be the next Jeff George. Puts up occasional big numbers, and tantalizes coaches enough to stick around for a decade.

DL: I'm going with Okoye. The reason is that I think he's too young and immature. He's gotten by on pure physical talent, and by the time he figures out how to work hard enough to be in the NFL, it'll be too late. Again, could stick around the league for a while, maybe like a Gerard Warren.

WR: Dunno - I'll go with Meecham, just because of the drops I've heard about. Admittedly haven't seem him play...

BallHawk
04-05-2007, 11:39 AM

He'll be out of the league in 3 years or so. He just doesn't have the body and size to stay around in this league.

Charles Woodson
04-05-2007, 12:28 PM

He'll be out of the league in 3 years or so. He just doesn't have the body and size to stay around in this league.

Dono, i think he'll do better than alot of people think.

Partial
04-05-2007, 01:05 PM

Nor does Hodge? Davis is very instinctive. He'll stick around.

Charles Woodson
04-05-2007, 02:17 PM

yea thats the word i was thinking of, just curious, BH, have you ever watched his games? Ive been to a few but ive watched almost everyone. Although the he does have his downside in size, he makes up for it in insticts. He makes up his speed in being quick.

Partial
04-05-2007, 02:22 PM

yea thats the word i was thinking of, just curious, BH, have you ever watched his games? Ive been to a few but ive watched almost everyone. Although the he does have his downside in size, he makes up for it in insticts. He makes up his speed in being quick.

He never struck me as particularly quick but he is instinctive and decisive; a potent combo.

BallHawk
04-05-2007, 08:10 PM
I watched a few of his games, not as many as you, but from watching a few I took away that he is undersized and isn't too quick. I'm not 100% positive he'll be a bust, I think it's even possible he'll be pretty good, but if I had to give one word on him, I would say he'll be a bust.

The Shadow
04-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Bust?
QB: JaMarcus Russell

MadtownPacker
04-06-2007, 02:18 AM
Adrian Peterson

Partial
04-06-2007, 02:22 AM
JaMarcus is gonna be a big time bust.

Lurker64
04-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Quarterbacks drafted high and put on bad teams with the expectation that they will turn the team around very rarely succeed, especially when the team is under pressure. From the reports on Jamarcus, he's certainly not even an average NFL QB when it comes to intelligence, game knowledge, and overall desire to win. Basically what's vaulting him into the top of this draft is his physical tools, but that's certainly not enough to really guarantee he'd be even a quality NFL starter.

He's the only player in the draft that really screams "bust" to me. Then again, measuring whether someone is a bust really depends on the ratio of "how well they produce" to "when they were drafted." If you draft a guy at #31 and he becomes an average NFL starter, you're okay with that. If you draft that same guy at #3, you might lost your job.

BallHawk
04-06-2007, 09:06 AM
He's the only player in the draft that really screams "bust" to me. Then again, measuring whether someone is a bust really depends on the ratio of "how well they produce" to "when they were drafted." If you draft a guy at #31 and he becomes an average NFL starter, you're okay with that. If you draft that same guy at #3, you might lost your job.

Well said.

If JaMarcus didn't have a cannon for an arm, he wouldn't have the gigantic hype surrounding him.

the_idle_threat
04-07-2007, 03:43 AM
Of the top picks, I have serious concerns about Russell living up to the hype because of all the singleminded focus on his physical tools, and serious concerns about Peterson because of his durability issues. In some ways, Meachem sounds like Robert Ferguson to me. Greg Olsen sounds like a workout warrior who doesn't do much on the field. Lots of potential land mines in this draft, IMO, and at our positions of need no less.

The_Dude
04-07-2007, 08:40 AM
QB: Russell

RB: Peterson

WR: Ted Ginn

OL: Levi Brown

DL: Alan Branch

LB: Paul Posluszny

DB: Leon Hall

Guiness
04-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Dude - you really think Brown will be a bust? That's the first I've hear that anywhere. Why do yo think that?

The Leaper
04-07-2007, 01:22 PM
QB Brady Quinn - The guy has great measureables and put up solid numbers in college under an NFL caliber head coach. Nonetheless, Quinn never once showed an ability to step up and beat a team on a big stage. His success will depend on entirely on where he winds up...and in the wrong place he will be a huge bust.

RB Marshawn Lynch - I think Lynch will be a good RB in the NFL. The problem is that I don't think he will ever live up to where he will be selected in the draft. He doesn't have elite speed. He hasn't shown elite receiving skills out of the backfield. He hasn't shown blocking awareness. He is a slight character risk. It just doesn't add up to a top 20 draft pick IMO.

WR Robert Meachem - The guy is an amazing athlete. That doesn't mean he is an amazing football player. He drops too many passes, is weak against press coverage, and is a horrible blocker considering his size. He has a lot of learning to do, and it will be 2-3 years before he makes an impact...if he ever does.

OL Ryan Harris - He has great athletic ability, but hasn't shown the nasty streak and competitiveness needed to be an elite OL player in the NFL.

DL Jamaal Anderson - Has the measureables, but often disappeared against top level talent on the college level. He probably will be an OK player at the next level, but as a first round pick, OK isn't good enough.

LB Rufus Alexander - Great athleticism, but no size. The guy is barely 230 pounds. He's probably a top 75 pick, but I'm not sure he will ever become a productive starter in the NFL.

DB Aaron Ross - The guy only started one year at Texas. He has the size and speed to be a capable NFL CB...but the lack of experience makes him a prime candidate to bust out in the NFL.

Patler
04-07-2007, 02:15 PM
People forget the 4th quarter of the USC game in 2005.

With ND behind by 4, and just 5:09 left to play Quinn directs an 87 yard drive to the "winning" score. He was 4/4 with completions of 18, 14, 15 and 6 yards (53 total) and scored the TD on a great individual effort on a 5 yard run. He accounted for 58 of the 87 yards. The problem was that there was still 2:02 left.

USC drove to win the game with a controversial out of bounds play and Leinart ultimately scorring with Reggie Bush locking on behind and pushing him into the endzone.

Had the defense held USC in the last 2 minutes, Quinn's knock about not winning a big game would have ended. Yet he did everything he could to win, the defense couldn't hold it. Quinn should have taken longer on his drive!

There were other times that Quinn did his part, but the team was just not good enough to win.

BallHawk
04-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Meachem is this year's "wild card." A lot of people think he'll be Javon Walker and a lot of people think he'll be Robert Ferguson. Personally, I think that he'll be more like Javon, minus the headcase bit.

Patler
04-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Who will be a bust?

I think Calvin Johnson has a chance to be a bust - the bronze kind in Canton with the other Hall of Famers! :lol: :lol:

BallHawk
04-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Who will be a bust?

I think Calvin Johnson has a chance to be a bust - the bronze kind in Canton with the other Hall of Famers! :lol: :lol:

I knew somebody was going to make that joke. I just knew it! :D :lol: