PDA

View Full Version : Abdul Hodge

MJZiggy
04-05-2007, 12:18 PM
http://packers.com/news/stories/2007/04/02/1/

Catching Up With: Abdul Hodge

posted 04/02/2007

After making a name for himself in the Big 10 as a hard-hitting linebacker, Abdul Hodge wasted no time doing the same for the Packers as a backup linebacker in 2006.

A third-round pick from Iowa, Hodge introduced himself to the professional football world by recording six tackles and returning an interception for a touchdown on Monday Night Football vs. Seattle in Week 12.

Although he was raised in Florida, Hodge has remained in Titletown for the majority of the offseason and looks to be a major contributor in 2007.

Packers.com recently sat down with the punishing linebacker to cover his offseason progress.

Packers.com: What have you been doing this offseason?
Hodge: I've been in Green Bay for the most part. I took about two or three weeks to go back home to Ft. Lauderdale around the time of the Super Bowl. I've been here though because my daughter is in school up here.

How was that Florida sunshine for those two weeks in February?
It was good! It's always great to go back home especially in great weather and see your friends and family.

Did you go to the Super Bowl?
I went to some of the events that were going on for the Super Bowl, but I didn't attend the game. I'm glad I didn't go because of the rain!

What went through your mind when the Colts raised the Lombardi Trophy?
Just that you can only imagine how it that feels because you've never been on that stage before. You see the smiles on the Colts players' faces, and that only motivates you to continue working with your team so that you can hold up that trophy one day.

What is the difference mentally going into your second year as opposed to your first?
Coming into your first year, you're kind of wide-eyed and you have a lot of questions about how things go. You don't know how things are going to go as far as team operations, but after you get that first year under your belt you settle down a little bit and you know what to expect from the coaches and they know what to expect from you.

What can you not go without on a daily basis?
A television!

What are your favorite TV shows?
I'm a reality guy, so I like Two-A-Days and The Real World. I even watch a little of America's Next Top Model.

Do you envision a little reality TV of your own after your career is over? Maybe a little Dancing With The Stars?
Oh no, I'm just a fan!

Do you have a favorite sports movie of all time?
I like Remember the Titans. I think it's a real good sports movie and it has a lot of good values in it.

What was it like to go to the NFL Combine?
It was fun because you play for four or five years, and then you have a chance to showcase your skills, but at the same time it's a hectic schedule. It goes from early in the morning to late at night. Once you do it though, you never have to go through it again.

Did you take the Wonderlic Test?
Yes, I never found out what my score was but I think I did well.

Do you think the Wonderlic is overrated?
Definitely, it shouldn't count as much to an individual's football skills as it currently does because there are a lot of things a test can't determine about your football skills.

What are the team interviews like and what kind of questions are you asked in that interview room?
Out of the whole combine experience, that was the one thing I enjoyed the most because you meet all the coaches and you talk about football. Once they start bringing up football questions, I thought it benefited me because I'm a real student of the game. They basically ask you questions to figure out how smart you are, what kind of person you are and what you know about the game.

On Monday Night Football against the Seattle Seahawks last season, you are rushing the quarterback and the ball suddenly comes loose and falls directly into your hands. I know your football instincts took over, but it's your rookie season, you're on national TV and you're running for a touchdown. What's going through your mind at this point?
Don't get caught! It was a heads up play because Kabeer (Gbaja-Biamila) did a great job of rushing the quarterback, and we were fortunate enough to get the turnover and get points out of it.

When did it really hit you that you just scored a touchdown on Monday Night Football?
After the game, because during the game you are in the moment and everything is going fast, but after you sit down and think about it by yourself and you really realize what just took place.

When did you really know that you could play football at a high level?
I think it was my sophomore year at Iowa. We were playing Ohio State in Columbus, and it was a hostile environment because they were just coming off a national championship the year before. I hade a great game and made a lot of plays, so it was awesome to play at that high of a level against a great team. I knew right then that if I keep working hard and keep doing the things I've been doing, I'd end up in the NFL.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Seems like a real hard worker, I hope he keeps improving.

woodbuck27
04-05-2007, 12:53 PM
I was just thinking about Abdul Hodge this AM. Wondering how big a role he may play in Ted Thompson's plan?

For some reason I'Ve got a feeling that TT may go linebacker again bigtime in this draft.

One of the defensive players I like is MLB Paul Posluszny. He seems to be falling in some mocks to the second round. One of OUR fellows has him going 18th overall to the Bengals.

Is it possible that TT may draft him and let Nick Barnett go?

Comments.

red
04-05-2007, 01:35 PM
i was also thinking about hodge today lol

i think he'll make a nice impact this year