PDA

View Full Version : DARRYL STINGLEY passes on at age 55

Bretsky
04-05-2007, 10:54 PM
CHICAGO -- Darryl Stingley spent more than half his life in a wheelchair, a symbol of the violence of the NFL, where large bodies collide at high speeds on every play.

He was only 26 when he clashed head-on with the Raiders' Jack Tatum during an exhibition at the Oakland Coliseum as they leaped for a pass.

That play has haunted the NFL for nearly three decades.

On Thursday, the after-effects of Stingley's grievous injury finally took his life at age 55.

He was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital after he was found unresponsive in his Chicago home, according to Tony Brucci, an investigator with the Cook County medical examiner's office.

An autopsy revealed contributing factors were bronchial pneumonia, quadriplegia, spinal cord injury and coronary atherosclerosis, the medical examiner's office said.

"I am deeply saddened by the death of Darryl Stingley," Tatum said in a statement released by the Raiders. "Darryl will be forever remembered for his strength and courage. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

Stingley was a star receiver with the New England Patriots when he collided with Tatum on Aug. 12, 1978. With one jolt, his life was forever changed. His neck was broken; he was left a quadriplegic. In time, he regained limited movement in his right arm and was able to operate his electric wheelchair on his own.

"I have relived that moment over and over again," he said in a 1988 interview with the Associated Press. "I was 26 years old at the time and I remember thinking, 'What's going to happen to me? If I live, what am I going to be like?' And then there were all those whys, whys, whys?

"It was only after I stopped asking why, that I was able to regroup and go on with my life," he said.

His death instantly rekindled the debate over the circumstances of the accident.

"I've thought about that throw over and over the years. Could I have changed anything or done anything differently?" Steve Grogan, the Patriots quarterback who threw the pass, said Thursday. "That hit probably was not necessary in a game with no meaning."

But Chuck Fairbanks, the Patriots' coach at the time, said he couldn't find anything illegal or dirty about it. Nor did the officials; no flag was thrown on Tatum.

BF4MVP
04-05-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm buzzed, but I still believe that Tatum should have apologized to Stingley..And NOT just to promote his book..

Like Kornheizer said on PTI..He doesn't have to apologize for the hit, because it was a legal hit, but he could apologize for what happened to him...

Kiwon
04-06-2007, 03:37 AM
I remember when he got hurt. The Oakland Raiders and Jack Tatum especially had the reputation as the meanest crew in the NFL. It was part-hype and part-reality but Tatum was always thought of as a "dirty player" after this hit.

Stingley was a cool dude, very positive guy, decent receiver and then boom....he's in a wheel chair for life.

Tatum was ahead of his time in being a jerk and not showing any humility and reaching out to Stingley. He'd fit in better in today's NFL than he did back then.

pbmax
04-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Sometimes, what is legal is more horrifying than what is illegal.

It was a cheap shot, flag or no. Head first, Stingley had missed the ball, Tatum had no idea what was happening. In fact, looking again at the replay, Tatum didn't hit helmet to helmet, his drove his shoulder into Stingley's head as the receiver fell down.

He should be banned like asbestos and every dollar from his book should go to spinal cord injury research.

Football used to teach this, that being a decent human being is more than just following the letter of the law. Tatum is not a decent human being.

Tatum is a fool and should be pitied for his failure to understand.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5fpbnPHoi04

I'm buzzed, but I still believe that Tatum should have apologized to Stingley..And NOT just to promote his book..

Like Kornheizer said on PTI..He doesn't have to apologize for the hit, because it was a legal hit, but he could apologize for what happened to him...

oregonpackfan
04-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Stingley was a positive role model for making the most out of your life when something tragic happens to you.

He worked as a consultatant for the Patriots. He later started a nonprofit foundation to help inner-city youth in Chicago where he was raised.

Stingly wrote a book about his life experiences called Happy To Be Alive.

Patler
04-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Tatum made a lot of questionable hits in his career. I do not think the one against Stingley was one of them.

Tatum was right there as Stingley came down, he really had no where to go, and while he put his shoulder into him, he did not drive through him as violently as he could have, and often did. Tatum was coming toward Stingley, and even stopped as he hit him. It was unfortunate that the effort Stingley made for the ball put his head in a collision course with Tatum.

We see that same hit time and time again, but the receiver isn't always in as bad a position as Stingley was.

The hit on Ferguson was a much cheaper shot. In the context of the play as it unfolded, Sapp's hit on Clifton was a cheaper shot, in my opinion.

pbmax
04-06-2007, 11:41 AM
If you can't see what you are launching yourself at, then you shouldn't follow through. Putting your head down and diving at a player makes the hit questionable, whether someone gets injured or not.

Whether your name is Tatum or Cecil, the technique is just wrong.

Tatum made a lot of questionable hits in his career. I do not think the one against Stingley was one of them.

Tatum was right there as Stingley came down, he really had no where to go, and while he put his shoulder into him, he did not drive through him as violently as he could have, and often did. Tatum was coming toward Stingley, and even stopped as he hit him. It was unfortunate that the effort Stingley made for the ball put his head in a collision course with Tatum.

We see that same hit time and time again, but the receiver isn't always in as bad a position as Stingley was.

The hit on Ferguson was a much cheaper shot. In the context of the play as it unfolded, Sapp's hit on Clifton was a cheaper shot, in my opinion.

pbmax
04-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I retract the diving charge. Looking at the replay again, Tatum doesn't leave his feet. But his head is still down as he delivers the blow.

Even on his feet, he couldn't control what he hit beacuse he wasn't looking at it.

Patler
04-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I retract the diving charge. Looking at the replay again, Tatum doesn't leave his feet. But his head is still down as he delivers the blow.

Even on his feet, he couldn't control what he hit beacuse he wasn't looking at it.

Hard to see for sure, but my impression is that Tatum did see it all the way, and turned his head to put his shoulder into the receiver, as he should.