PDA

View Full Version : Drew Stanton

LL2
04-06-2007, 10:20 AM
I see in some mocks they have Stanton going in the 2nd rd. I was listening to Mike and Mike in the morning and Kiper said that Stanton could have been a first rd pick. The Michigan St vs ND game is the game that vaulted Quinn’s stock (not that he wasn’t considered a 1st rd pick), and Stanton dropped. Now, if Michigan St would’ve won that game he might be projected higher, and he didn’t have the best supporting cast. Now, I know ND72 will say neither did Quinn. I’m thinking if he’s there in the 3rd TT should take him. He seems to be the sleeper pick among QB’s, and very well could turn out to be the best one for all the draft experts know. Let Rodgers and Stanton duke it out in the next couple of years.

The_Dude
04-06-2007, 10:40 AM
To many other positions to fill other then QB. If favre had retired this year, then maybe QB on the first day but not now.

IMO, Stanton would be a good fit for the Raiders. Is very athletic and has a monster of an arm. I think the raiders need someone who is mobile with thier line.

ND72
04-06-2007, 10:47 AM
I see in some mocks they have Stanton going in the 2nd rd. I was listening to Mike and Mike in the morning and Kiper said that Stanton could have been a first rd pick. The Michigan St vs ND game is the game that vaulted Quinn’s stock (not that he wasn’t considered a 1st rd pick), and Stanton dropped. Now, if Michigan St would’ve won that game he might be projected higher, and he didn’t have the best supporting cast. Now, I know ND72 will say neither did Quinn. I’m thinking if he’s there in the 3rd TT should take him. He seems to be the sleeper pick among QB’s, and very well could turn out to be the best one for all the draft experts know. Let Rodgers and Stanton duke it out in the next couple of years.

That game didn't do anything to Quinn's stock. Quinn was considered a high 1st rounder since the beginning of the season. Stanton might have been a for sure 1st rounder if they ever won a game. That's what hurt him, not just the ND game.

LL2
04-06-2007, 10:49 AM
If he has a monster arm and is very mobile then that is exactly what we need. Those two things are what made Favre great, but only if we can get him in the 3rd or TT picks up another 2nd.

rbaloha1
04-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Drew played on a problematic team.

As a prospect he is big, athletic, strong armed, tough and accurate qb. A better prospect than AR.

Take DS in round 2 and trade AR

b bulldog
04-06-2007, 12:20 PM
I like him better than AR. I know AR hasn't had much of a chance yet but I don't think he has "IT".

Chubbyhubby
04-06-2007, 12:29 PM

As a prospect he is big, athletic, strong armed, tough and accurate qb. A better prospect than AR.

I agree with you on that. I don't feel comfortable that once Favre does hang it up, (either next year or the year after) Rodgers should be given the job. Ingle Martin is a good backup project so its unlikely that he will for the starting job. I personally like DS. Rogers pick was a reach. He had all that hype that year. If Roidgers have a break out camp than he is for real and deserve to be a starter one day. If not I would trade him. IMO.

packrulz
04-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I've been interested in Stanton too, I do think he'll be drafted in the 2nd round. But, I think the Packers have more pressing needs in the early rounds, like RB, WR, TE, OLB, & OT. I could see TT picking up a QB like Trent Edwards, Stanford or Kevin Kolb, Houston in the 4th round or maybe Jordan Plamer, UTEP, ( Carson Palmer's brother), in one of the later rounds. I think Aaron Rogers will be fine but Favre will retire and it's time to bring in depth now.

LL2
04-06-2007, 01:20 PM
I think it’s possible Stanton could drop to the 3rd round. Then it would be a great pick for TT. I saw a mock that had the Jags taking Stanton in rd two, but now that they have Carr I doubt they will invest a 2nd rd pick in a QB. All the other teams around the Jags in rd 2 do not have a need to a QB. Although it’s entirely possible that some team is enamored with the guy and will take him in rd 2, but rd 1 isn’t likely. With Favre gone in a yr or two I want some more insurance besides Rodgers. I still think Rodgers deserves every chance, but we shouldn’t abnk our future on him.

Charles Woodson
04-06-2007, 05:27 PM
I go back and forth on Rodgers, I like stanton more which is why i would have gone fully for a moss a-rod trade, that would give us the option to still take stanton

Freak Out
04-06-2007, 05:58 PM
I think we should draft a QB every year.

BF4MVP
04-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Stanton sucks..I'm not understandin why everyone likes him so much..Have you checked his numbers?

Charles Woodson
04-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Stanton sucks..I'm not understandin why everyone likes him so much..Have you checked his numbers?

have you checked the team he played on?

pbmax
04-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Rodgers projected as a top 10 pick (possible top 1) that year. By any reasonable definition, he cannot be a reach.

A bust, maybe. But not for a couple years, or before a year of playing time. Many who passed on him weren't looing for a QB, the other teams could prove correct, but we don't know yet.

I agree with you on that. I don't feel comfortable that once Favre does hang it up, (either next year or the year after) Rodgers should be given the job. Ingle Martin is a good backup project so its unlikely that he will for the starting job. I personally like DS. Rogers pick was a reach. He had all that hype that year. If Roidgers have a break out camp than he is for real and deserve to be a starter one day. If not I would trade him. IMO.

Merlin
04-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Drew Stanton? In a word, "No".

The Leaper
04-07-2007, 01:27 PM
If I'm going to take a flier on a QB, it would be on Zabransky...who is probably a 5th rounder at best. He's inconsistant as hell, but has the physical talent to be a threat in the NFL. Stanton isn't worth a first day draft pick. He showed no leadership ability...that Michigan State team threw away more leads in the 4th quarter in the last 2 years than I can remember in a long time. I don't think Stanton has any confidence.

LL2
04-07-2007, 03:36 PM
...that Michigan State team threw away more leads in the 4th quarter in the last 2 years than I can remember in a long time. I don't think Stanton has any confidence.

Throwing away leads is the fault of the defense not Stanton. He got them those leads.

Merlin
04-07-2007, 08:20 PM
My knock on Stanton is that he plays in the Big Ten. If John Stocco can do as well as he did in the Big Ten and he isn't a "good" QB by any means, then anyone with a little talent can do "great".

2006 Big Ten Comparison:
Name-Cmp-Att-Yds-CMP%-YPA-TD-INT-RAT
John Stocco-158-268-2185-59.0-8.15-17-6-143.90
Drew Stanton-164-269-1807-61.0-6.72-12-10-124.7

On pure statistics, Stocco looks like the better QB and THAT is scary.

BobDobbs
04-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I think we should be open to draft a QB from the 3rd round on. Ron Wolf would draft QBs every years often times early. I think he did this because he knew QB is a valuable position and he had confidence in Holmgren staff to coach quarterbacks and thus improve their value.
He drafted Brunell, Brooks, Hasselbeck, Detmer. And I believe he got more back in trade than what he spent in the draft on every player. McCarthy has a reputatuion as a QB coach. I like the changes I've seen in Farve with McCarthy and haven't gotten to judge the others very well.
Turning QBs into higher draft picks is a good investment. Protecting against injury with a good young prospect is a great idea, because Rodgers has already missed more games due to injury than Favre ever has.

Merlin
04-09-2007, 11:50 AM
I agree in drafting a QB every year. I think picking up Martin last year was a good move. I think that if the Packers pick up a QB in the first or second, we all are going to be scratching our heads since everyone believes Rodgers is our man. We may not even draft one, we may go to the supplemental pick or pick on up as a FA after the fact.

Partial
04-09-2007, 02:11 PM
My knock on Stanton is that he plays in the Big Ten. If John Stocco can do as well as he did in the Big Ten and he isn't a "good" QB by any means, then anyone with a little talent can do "great".

2006 Big Ten Comparison:
Name-Cmp-Att-Yds-CMP%-YPA-TD-INT-RAT
John Stocco-158-268-2185-59.0-8.15-17-6-143.90
Drew Stanton-164-269-1807-61.0-6.72-12-10-124.7

On pure statistics, Stocco looks like the better QB and THAT is scary.

Stocco gets no respect. He was better than Sorgi in terms of all-around ability (sorgi had the better arm), and very similiar to Bollinger (slower, but better arm in my opinion). Let's not underrate Stocco. I think Stanton has better upside so he will be a 2nd round pick. I suspect Stocco goes in the 4th.

Merlin
04-09-2007, 02:53 PM
There were a lot of growing pains with Stocco. He did play "okay" in his last year but he buy no means was a great QB. Stocco also benefited from a very good offense. He had talent around him. You could say that Stanton had good talent around him and a horseshit coach. For how good Belima (sp?) is, he did have a lot of hold overs from Alvirez. How Sorgi ever got on a roster is beyond me. They guy could throw, hell I can throw too. That isn't saying very much. I think Stanton may be a diamond in the rough, he may also be way over rated. I don't think we cant to pick up another "project" we already have two of those. One of them will be in his third year.

Bretsky
04-09-2007, 05:23 PM
There were a lot of growing pains with Stocco. He did play "okay" in his last year but he buy no means was a great QB. Stocco also benefited from a very good offense. He had talent around him. You could say that Stanton had good talent around him and a horseshit coach. For how good Belima (sp?) is, he did have a lot of hold overs from Alvirez. How Sorgi ever got on a roster is beyond me. They guy could throw, hell I can throw too. That isn't saying very much. I think Stanton may be a diamond in the rough, he may also be way over rated. I don't think we cant to pick up another "project" we already have two of those. One of them will be in his third year.

IMO you cut Stocco's credit short; he was as big of a reason for them having a good offense as any player but Joe Thomas. Stocco felt the rush and that allowed him to avoid many sacks. He had a very solid TE, but his wide receiving options were horrid last year. Stocco gets credit for making a very undertalented group look average there.

I'm not arguing Stocco is a great pro prospect; he's a project. But I like him every bit as much as Ingle Martin.

And IMO he was a very very good QB for the UW Madison. Him and Bollinger were what every team looks for as a college QB.

I think Stanton could develop into a solid Pro QB in the right situation.

Merlin
04-10-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm not really cutting Stocco short. I thought he did a great job for the UW. He was one of the reasons the offense played well. I am using it more as a comparison to Stanton. I am also using a benchmark of an NFL QB for reference. Stanton is getting hype and kudo's and Stocco will be lucky to be drafted. The media does drive a lot of peoples beliefs and that's sad! The stats are right there and I didn't see anything from Stanton that shows me he is any better or worse then Stocco.