PDA

View Full Version : The Jenkins Brothers ?

Bretsky
04-07-2007, 12:49 PM
I KNOW IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN TO GB, BUT IT'S AN INTERESTING THOUGHT

Panthers willing to trade Jenkins
Pro Bowler available, according to other teams

PAT YASINSKAS
pyasinskas@charlotteobserver.com

The Carolina Panthers have told other teams Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kris Jenkins could be available in a trade.

According to multiple personnel sources from other teams, it has been made clear the Panthers would be willing to trade Jenkins if the price is right.

When asked if Jenkins was on the trading block Friday afternoon, Panthers general manager Marty Hurney declined comment. The Panthers have a long-standing policy of not commenting on potential personnel moves.

Jenkins and his agent weren't available for comment Friday.

Talk around the league about Jenkins' availability has been growing stronger since the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix in March.

If the Panthers were to make a deal, it's likely they would want an extra pick in the upcoming NFL draft as compensation. It's unclear which teams might be interested, but plenty have been told of the potential for a deal.

Jenkins, who has a salary-cap figure of about $4.5 million for this season and is under contract through 2009, was named to his third Pro Bowl last season. It capped a triumphant comeback after he missed most of 2004 and 2005 with shoulder and knee injuries. Jenkins could be expendable because the Panthers have depth at defensive tackle.

Ma'ake Kemoeatu was a high-priced free agent signing last year and fills the same type of run-stuffer role as Jenkins. Damione Lewis, another free-agent pickup, spent last season as the top backup, but was a starter earlier in his career and could return to that role. Jordan Carstens, a part-time starter while Jenkins was injured, has signed the restricted free agent tender for this season.

Jenkins was a second-round pick in 2001 and went to the Pro Bowl after the 2002 and '03 seasons. His weight has been an issue. The coaching staff likes Jenkins to play at about 340 pounds, but he has weighed more than that at times -- he has said he approached 400 pounds while sitting out during the injuries.

At the owner meetings, coach John Fox said Jenkins had not taken part in the first two weeks of the team's offseason training program, which began in March.

Jenkins has a clause in his contract that pays him a $175,000 bonus if he takes part in a specified number of the workouts.

MJZiggy
04-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Knowing our luck, we'll trade Jenkins for Jenkins!!

digitaldean
04-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Jenkins has a clause in his contract that pays him a $175,000 bonus if he takes part in a specified number of the workouts.

This just floors me...

Some of the clowns never show up for workouts, throwing away $175,000.

ABSOLUTELY NO GRASP OF REALITY!

When they are out of football, where are they going to make $175,000 for just working out!

What equals years of a normal person's income, they just throw away. No matter how often this takes place, the rank stupidity just flat out floors me. :cnf:

Patler
04-07-2007, 01:28 PM

This just floors me...

When they are out of football, where are they going to make $175,000 for just working out!

What equals years of a normal person's income, they just throw away. No matter how often this takes place, the rank stupidity just flat out floors me. :cnf:

The problem is that most of us have a hard time grasping their reality.

If you make 3, 4 or 5 million per year, and maybe have picked up a sizeable lump sum bonus at one point or another, $175,000 doesn't mean that much to you. Especially if you don't live where you play, and attending off-season workouts would require being away from your family for even more weeks than you already are.

b bulldog
04-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Injury and attitude will keep TT away from Kris.

digitaldean
04-07-2007, 02:20 PM

If you make 3, 4 or 5 million per year, and maybe have picked up a sizeable lump sum bonus at one point or another, $175,000 doesn't mean that much to you. Especially if you don't live where you play, and attending off-season workouts would require being away from your family for even more weeks than you already are.

Most OTA's last 1 week. Yes, it means time away from their family and they do have to travel to the metropolis of Green Bay.

I don't claim to know what they go through. But, given their careers are so brief, the adage of making hay while the sun shines should come into play.

When they get done with their careers, some of them could use some of that extra cash if they fail to invest or pursue a profession.

Patler
04-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Most OTA's last 1 week. Yes, it means time away from their family and they do have to travel to the metropolis of Green Bay.

It's not the OTAs, its the workouts that are going on right now. These last for weeks (soemething like 8 weeks usually) Often the bonuses require attendance at a high percentage of them.

If you read the story, he is already missing the activities the bonus requires, and the OTAs have not yet started.

At the owner meetings, coach John Fox said Jenkins had not taken part in the first two weeks of the team's offseason training program, which began in March.

digitaldean
04-07-2007, 02:27 PM
I stand corrected. :oops:

motife
04-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I thought since the 5 Sullivan brothers all went down on the same ship this was outlawed in the NFL.

How about having Sterling and Shannon Sharpe on the same team?

Or Ronde and Tiki Barber?

Or, even more remotely, Peyton and Eli Manning?

Patler
04-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Remember a few years back when the Packers were rumored to be going after Jamie Sharper, to play with Darren?

GrnBay007
04-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Remember a few years back when the Packers were rumored to be going after Jamie Sharper, to play with Darren?

You are raining on the Jenkins parade! :P

Imagine having 2 sons in the NFL....wouldn't that be something?

motife
04-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Interesting comments by Kris Jenkins about Warren Sapp :

“I hate him. Everybody says I’m supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him,” Jenkins said. “He talks too much, he doesn’t make sense, he’s fat, he’s sloppy, he acts like he’s the best thing since sliced bread. He’s ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

“Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don’t know how he does it.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8077502/

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/dr_z/11/16/correctness/p1_clifton_frakes.jpg

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/11/25/photos/sappsherman2.jpg

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nfl/2002/1124/photo/a_sapp_i.jpg

Marco Rivera retaliates

http://bop.nppa.org/2003/still_photography/winners/pictures/First-SAT.jpg

Merlin
04-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Nothing wrong with veteran depth on the DL. Jenkins proved he can play the game. I don't think he is as good as he once was but I think he has enough in the tank to be a part time DL. As far as his "attitude" or whatever, we all know that those types don't last long with the Packers. So if he brings that with him, let him go.

Partial
04-07-2007, 08:20 PM

This just floors me...

having 4 Mil chillin in the bank gets you far more than that in a year doing nothing at all. Hard to believe yes, but thats not a lot of money for these guys as Patler said.

The Shadow
04-07-2007, 08:35 PM

This just floors me...

Hence Wonderlic Tests

cheesner
04-07-2007, 09:55 PM

This just floors me...

Economic theory: The more you make the less additional money means to you. To the best of my memory it is called the 'marginal propensity'. At some point, time has more value to you than money. As Charlie Sheen said in the movie Wall Street 'How many yachts can you ski behind?'

MJZiggy
04-07-2007, 10:24 PM

I'm thinking I may have this one framed...

Patler
04-07-2007, 10:39 PM

I'm thinking I may have this one framed...

Rivera beating up on Ellis Wyms???

MJZiggy
04-07-2007, 10:52 PM
I have photoshop. I can change that number and pretend.

motife
04-08-2007, 03:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZeqwL_vVhQ

Packers defensive line dominating.