PDA

View Full Version : NFL Sunday Ticket????

FavreChild
04-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Hello, my favorite Packer guys and gals!! 8-)

Yep, I have been a bad, bad poster of late. I hope you miss me. :cry:

But your old pal FC has been working on her PhD and other tasks. I read what y'all have to say often, but post less because of professional purposes, etc.

I have a few questions for y'all -- my favorite GB fans -- that may assist in my legal research on the NFL:

1) Do you have access to Sunday Ticket -- and if so, how?

2) Do you have access to NFL Network?

3) What is your opinion of NFL Network programming?

4) Do you think that NFL Network should be granted exclusive rights to programming - i.e., the eight game exclusive package that the network broadcast in 2006?

5) Do you think that Packer fans should have an inherent right to view games, considering that fans own the team??

FavreChild
04-07-2007, 11:11 PM
I am SERIOUS about all my questions and would appreciate your honest input as fans of the most respectable team in the league....

MJZiggy
04-07-2007, 11:19 PM

Yes through DirecTV (is there another way to get it?)

Yes.

Best NFL programming around.

4) Do you think that NFL Network should be granted exclusive rights to programming - i.e., the eight game exclusive package that the network broadcast in 2006?

No.

5) Do you think that Packer fans should have an inherent right to view games, considering that fans own the team??

Yes.

(why do I sense this is going somewhere?)

btw, welcome home girlfriend!

FavreChild
04-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks, Zig! :jig:

I really am working on NFL-related research for legitimate purposes - your help is appreciated!! 8-) I will share if I learn anything consequential, of course. :cow:

oregonpackfan
04-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Welcome back, FavreChild! Yes, I missed you! We need more of the female posters to keep us, self-absorbed males in line.

Sorry, I cannot answer any of your questions. I do not have NFL ticket.

Out here I watch the Packers at friends(ex-Wisconsinsites) homes or travel to a local Packer restaurant where most of the supporters are also ex-Wisconsinites. I would not want to sacrifice the camerderie.

Stay connected with us, please.

the_idle_threat
04-08-2007, 02:24 AM
1) No. No cable or dish of any kind.

2) No.

3) N/A

4) I think it's a bad idea to grant exclusive rights to the primary product---game broadcasts---to a channel that is not available in all areas.

For that matter, I think the league should want its games available on regular network television, to be viewed by as many people as possible rather than only by the fans who pay for programming. Broadcasting to a smaller group of fans should logically deplete the fan base over time, as those who cannot watch games have plenty of other entertainment options.

5) No more so than fans of any other team. The subset of Packer Fans who "own" the team are stockholders, and stockholders in any other business are not entitled to dictate how the company's product is distributed, nor are they entitled to special access to the product. I don't think there is an entitlement for Packer stockholders, even though I recognize that Packers stock is not "investment" stock in the traditional sense.

Of course, the vast majority of Packer fans (myself included) do not own Packers stock, so we are not owners of the team at all. We could not possibly claim that entitlement.

However, as stated above, I think making the games more exclusive and/or expensive to watch by making them paid programming is a bad business idea for the league. The league makes plenty of money from the networks, and network broadcasts put the games in reach of the largest amount of fans. If the league wants to remain popular, it will keep its product in front of the largest possible group of fans.

As a sidenote, an argument might be made that any local area that provides public assistance to the team (e.g. for building or renovating the stadium) could claim an entitlement to have the games broadcast locally. This would apply to most teams, rather than just to the Packers.

motife
04-08-2007, 04:39 AM

I've subscribed to NFL Sunday Ticket through Directv since it was inaugurated which I think was in 1997 or something. I dropped cable at that point. Now, I live in the country and couldn't get cable if I wanted. I am glad to pay the $149 per year to watch any game I want. In Iowa. it's very rare that we don't get all the Green Bay games locally though, but starting last year, they "blacked out" the locally broadcast games, so only one or two Packer games per year are on DirecTv now. Usually, that would be a West Coast late start game when either Fox or CBS don't have a double header, or are nationally broadcasting some blockbuster game.

Yes I do. Through Directv.

It's "ok". I like the game rebroadcasts that splice in NFL Films footage to the network feed, and the recap of games I'm interested in. I don't like Rich Eisen or the "happy talk". They seem to want to have 10 to 1 African-Americans to European-American ratio, which I wouldn't have a problem with if the African Americans were knowledgeable and well spoken, but they often are not. Not that the European Americans are either.

The NFL is trying to maximize revenues. If the NFL thinks this is the way to do it, then more power to them.

The cable providers better start providing NFL Network at some point. For Iowa Hawkeye college football games, ESPN offers a broadcast feed to the local broadcast TV stations for those who don't have access to cable. You'd think NFL Network would do the same, but this may be their leverage to get on cable as widely as ESPN is, and may be why they don't budge.

When the Packers collect their $100 million per year revenue share of TV revenues, or whatever it is, I think they've "sold" their "inherent rights".

GoPackGo
04-08-2007, 08:49 AM
I have Direct TV

Yes is comes with Direct TV

The only reason to watch it is when they are the only station that has a game on

no. NFL network isn't even broadcast in HD! maybe if they can do that for me......

yes

mngolf19
04-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Yes, DirecTV

Yes.

Ok, best they probably can do but gets old after awhile.

I think that due to taxpayers and states helping in the construction of stadiums that NFL product should be available to all fans. NFL therefore needs to be available on all. (Cable-dishes) But I think it's ok then for them to pick their games for that channel.

5) Do you think that Packer fans should have an inherent right to view games, considering that fans own the team??No, especially as a Viking fan. :wink:

GBRulz
04-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Hi FC, hope you're doing well !!

I have a few questions for y'all -- my favorite GB fans -- that may assist in my legal research on the NFL:

No, I only care about watching Packer games and I live here

Yes

I really like it. Lots of specials that you won't find anywhere else.

I would say yes, but only if everyone had access to it. In your situation for example (the woods blocking satellite reception) I think is BS.

5) Do you think that Packer fans should have an inherent right to view games, considering that fans own the team??[/quote]
Yes they are publicy owned, but their viewing and rebroadcasting rights are still ruled by the NFL. I highly doubt the Pack will be willing to forego their chunk of cash from the revenue sharing anytime soon!

FritzDontBlitz
04-08-2007, 12:36 PM

ANSWER: No

ANSWER: Yes

ANSWER: NFL Network is turning out to be somewhat of a ripoff IMHO. Example: all during the leadup to the 2006 season NFL Network was bragging about how they would be broadcasting live games during the last 8 weeks of the season....what they DIDN'T mention was the fact that people outside of the teams home market would have the games blacked out unless they owned NFL Sunday ticket, which is only available thru satellite providers NOT cable providers. The bulk of NFLN's programming is old crap that used to run on ESPN Classic for free. I wouldnt recommend NFLN to anyone except those who enjoy seeing "NFL Cheerleader Playoffs" rerun for days at a time. Good looking girls, yes, but not a PhD. in the bunch.

ANSWER: HELL NO!

5) Do you think that Packer fans should have an inherent right to view games, considering that fans own the team??[/quote]

ANSWER:Yes

All the best, FC. Make us proud, milady. 8-)

FritzDontBlitz
04-08-2007, 12:46 PM

ANSWER: No

ANSWER: Yes

ANSWER: NFL Network is turning out to be somewhat of a ripoff IMHO. Example: all during the leadup to the 2006 season NFL Network was bragging about how they would be broadcasting live games during the last 8 weeks of the season....what they DIDN'T mention was the fact that people outside of the teams home market would have the games blacked out unless they owned NFL Sunday ticket, which is only available thru satellite providers NOT cable providers. The bulk of NFLN's programming is old crap that used to run on ESPN Classic for free. I wouldnt recommend NFLN to anyone except those who enjoy seeing "NFL Cheerleader Playoffs" rerun for days at a time. Good looking girls, yes, but not a PhD. in the bunch.

ANSWER: HELL NO!

ANSWER:Yes

All the best, FC. Make us proud, milady. 8-)

FritzDontBlitz
04-08-2007, 12:58 PM
my apologies for the double post.

by the way, my cable provider provides nfln as part of its digital basic package. they also offer an hd package with nfln included in hd as well, altough i'm wondering if its true hd since the screen format isnt true 1080i (it still shows up with the two solid outer borders on my lcdtv.)

my conclusion is nfln is about as useful as the discovery channel: interesting maybe, but do you really wanna fork up extra cash for a channel which borrows 75% of its programming from a sports channel (EPSN Classic) that was already available for little or nothing?

falco
04-08-2007, 01:16 PM
FC, if you don't mind me asking, what degree are you pursuing?

pack4to84
04-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Yes through directv

yes

this channel should have been created in the long time ago. I don't know why NFL took so long to have this channel in the first place

I'm ok with it.

Should we have the right to get season tickets without waiting so long. They should make a rule you could only have season tickets 2 years in a row before sending you back to the waiting list again.

Guiness
04-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Here's to hoping one of you guys with Sunday Ticket invests in a Sling box...

FavreChild
04-08-2007, 04:01 PM
FC, if you don't mind me asking, what degree are you pursuing?

My degree will be in rhetoric. 8-)

FavreChild
04-08-2007, 04:20 PM
FYI, NFLN is currently the fourth most expensive cable channel.

pacfan
04-08-2007, 06:15 PM

No, I have the Dish Network. I had Sunday Ticket but the Packer Games were blacked out. I can't justify spending $200 on games I "can't" watch.

Yes

I like it, games in HD are awesome. I thought the "America's Game" was a great idea. The re-broadcasts are ok (if your team won or your team didn't take shit on Sunday). I kinda agree with Motife in that the broadcasters could be better, maybe a better presentation. Thank god we aren't stuck with Shannon Sharpe. It could stand some improvement and some more original broasdcasting. My brother watched the combine every chance he could, some people like that.

No, but I think its out of our hands. I hope the NFL can figure out a way to make the prime-time games more competitive (flex-scheduling). The Thursday game is great, but sometimes it was to much football.

Do we have a fundamental right to watch games now? If I have to pay a fee similar to Pay-Per-View Boxing, I'm not sure how I would respond.

Sunday ticket is a waste for me because the games are on the local channels. If I move from Wisconsin, then I might pay for it because I'll be in a different market.

If we could demand better play-by-play and color commentators, I would support that idea. I can't stand Bill Maas, Tony Kornheiser, Ron Pitts, and the king of simple commentary John Madden.

I'm no fan of Larrivee either.

HarveyWallbangers
04-09-2007, 06:09 PM

Access? Yes. DirecTv.

Yes.

One of my favorite channels.

Should? I don't know. It's up to them.

5) Do you think that Packer fans should have an inherent right to view games, considering that fans own the team?

No. This actually gives me the chance to see them. I likely wouldn't be able to see them otherwise--since I don't live in Wisconsin.

]{ilr]3
04-09-2007, 06:24 PM
I would love to get Sunday ticket but its so spendy and even more so for HD Super Fan! I get at least one game every week in HD threw my local cable company. If i went with the Sunday ticket and Direct TV it looks like I would not get a single game in HD unless I got the super fan extra.

NFL is really pissing me off with there over priced bullshit. Last year really pissed me off when i couldnt watch the Minnesota game because of the shitty NFL Network bullshit. I would really like to have it, but its just way to much money for the Sunday Ticket and that goes double for the Super Fan.

Sorry for the rant, but the more I thought about it, the more pissed off I got thinking about all the shit from last year and how its only going to get worse.

MadtownPacker
04-09-2007, 08:14 PM
{ilr]3]NFL is really pissing me off with there over priced bullshit.Forgiveth him oh mighty NFL gods, he knowith not what he speak of. May you blessith our beloved Pack the strength to crush thy weekly enemy. :D

b bulldog
04-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Ban his butt

]{ilr]3
04-09-2007, 09:42 PM
So you guys are all excited about bending over paying out $250 for Sunday ticket and anouther $150 for the HD Super fan?

The year before last I watched 5 Packer games in HD and only missed 3 games because they weremt televised in my area. Last year I got 2 Packers Games in HD and missed 6 other games because they are no longer televised in my area including a Vikings game which I am suppose be in there home viewing zone because it was only on the NFL Network, which i do not get in my area.

This is only going to get worse, not better. Even when you look at the super fan deal they only say you will get a max of 9 games in HD per week and you have no idea what games they will be.

I would sign up for it in a heartbeat for $150 that included HD. Anything over that is a friking rip off when you used to get it for free!