PDA

View Full Version : Don Imus - suspended

Kiwon
04-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Don Imus joked and in a 2-second comment referred to members of the mostly black Rutgers team as "nappy-headed hos."

Now he is being suspended for 2 weeks and several national figures have called for his firing.

"Tonight it is being announced on this broadcast that radio host Don Imus, whose national morning show is simulcast on our cable network MSNBC, is being suspended, taken off the air for two weeks starting Monday, because of comments he made last week," Brian Williams said on Nightly News at 6:37pm.

Question: Do you agree with the suspension or is this another example of a hypocritical double-standard and political correctness run amok?

Freak Out
04-09-2007, 06:51 PM
If MSNBC wants to suspend/fire him that's MSNBC's business....but I could care less. He has a right to say things like that but they have a right to fire him if he violated some policy of employment of the networks. I'm sure the players boyfriends/girlfriends have called them worse before. :D

BallHawk
04-09-2007, 07:42 PM
I've never liked Imus. He talks out of his ass and this type of behavior is not uncommon for him.

MadtownPacker
04-09-2007, 08:01 PM
What a joke. Yes the station has the right to can him but those "national figure" likely have done just as bad or worse.

The comment itself is hardly offensive. It would be like me getting mad cuz someone called me a brownskinned, tortilla rolling, bean eater.

Its hardly untrue and its hardly reason to get your panties in a bunch.

oregonpackfan
04-09-2007, 09:13 PM
I just don't like Imus because when he talks he sounds like he has marbles in his mouth! :) Sometimes I can't understand what he is saying.

mraynrand
04-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Don Imus joked and in a 2-second comment referred to members of the mostly black Rutgers team as "nappy-headed hos."

Will everyone who says something like this get suspended? I hope so, because it will mean no more rap songs playing on my radio.

retailguy
04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Its hardly untrue and its hardly reason to get your panties in a bunch.

You should probably ask Partial if it's OK to weigh in on this. :wink:

After all, you don't have a PHD in race relations.

pacfan
04-10-2007, 08:28 AM

Will everyone who says something like this get suspended? I hope so, because it will mean no more rap songs playing on my radio.

You listen to rap on your radio?

Tyrone Bigguns
04-10-2007, 01:26 PM
He deserved to be suspended. Free speech has consequences. Imus has become a Hall of Fame broadcaster using race-baiting, offensive tactics. He is routinely offensive to people of color and women. It's not funny in any possible context. This wasn't satire, not even a lame attempt. It's not acceptable. It's not defensible. People who say things like this about other people should feel shame to the very core of their soul.

Somehow, we've gotten to a place in our society where so-called "adults" think it's OK to publicly insult a group of young people whose sole transgression was they appeared on national television and apparently didn't meet some "appearance" standard these men had. (and, as a COMPLETELY hetero male..regarding Imus and appearance..pot meet kettle)

Futhermore, many white and black people decry the harmful elements of rap. The argument that because rappers do it then it is ok is just plain dumb. If you disagree, then when your child says "sally" is doing it then you must allow your child to do the same. My mom always said if "jumps off a bridge are you gonna do it?"

Last week, Sharpton and hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons held a public protest against rapper Tony Yayo -- who is associated with 50 Cent -- for his alleged assault of the 14-year-old son of a rival record company executive. Sharpton even called for a 90-day, FCC-mandated ban on all gangsta music.

There is a huge difference between a rap song using the word "ho" and directing it at a specific target..the rutgers basketball team. Calling them "jigaboos" is patently racist..funny or not.

And, if you think it is harmless and funny then I dare you to call your wife, girlfriend, sister, mom, etc a nappy headed ho. If they laugh, I'll be happy post how humorless I am.

SkinBasket
04-10-2007, 04:08 PM
More inflated, over exaggerated outrage over an only mildly offensive (at best) statement made by a radio show host that no one listens to. I'm sure those girls were crying their eyes out about being called nappy headed hoes by some old fucker they'd never heard of before. Maybe Boston can phone this in as a terrorist threat too.

SkinBasket
04-10-2007, 04:11 PM
And, if you think it is harmless and funny then I dare you to call your wife, girlfriend, sister, mom, etc a nappy headed ho. If they laugh, I'll be happy post how humorless I am.

I have called all those people listed much, much worse than that and we all get a kick out of it.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-10-2007, 04:30 PM
More inflated, over exaggerated outrage over an only mildly offensive (at best) statement made by a radio show host that no one listens to. I'm sure those girls were crying their eyes out about being called nappy headed hoes by some old fucker they'd never heard of before. Maybe Boston can phone this in as a terrorist threat too.

So, the station, the public, and Imus himself are wrong? Wake up. You are on the wrong side.

No one listens...get real. He is syndicated and on TV. Your logic is pitiful. Yep, we are going to syndicate a show that no one listens to.

I'm no prude...enjoy stern, etc. But, Imus crossed a line..using racist insults on a bunch of women who didn't deserve it. If he had merely said they were ugly that would be a different story. He clearly set up a white vs. black paradigm and then insulted the black women.

As for your family...exception proves the rule. In reality, they know you and know your sense of humor. And, i'm sure that you've crossed the line and apologized or at least realized it. Sub ho for some other slur...I guarantee there is something that insults women in your family.

And, if you are calling your daughter or sister a ho...well, can I meet either. I could really use a blowjob. Hopefully they don't really have nappy hair.

Scott Campbell
04-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Political correctness has consequences too. It makes for drab radio. It makes for drab television. And it makes for drab message boards.

I think all the outrage is just plain silly.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Political correctness has consequences too. It makes for drab radio. It makes for drab television. And it makes for drab message boards.

I think all the outrage is just plain silly.

this isn't a case of political correctness. This is a case of being mean spirited and race baiting.

Could I call your wife ugly and then not expect you to get upset..or at least her. If she gets upset is she politically correct.

Calling someone a jigaboo is crossing the line. Imus has called the Knicks "chest thumping pimps"..that is fine. Don't have a problem with that. He has called Bill Richardson a "fat sissy"..no problem with that.

Explain to me the humor in demeaning the women based on being a woman and their race?

Imus crossed a line and needs to be punished. Not saying he should be terminated, but a suspension is definitely warranted. And, for those who think that is wrong..get serious. DJs are always getting suspended for crossing the line. Is Imus suddenly exempt?

Jimx29
04-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Explain to me the humor in demeaning the women based on being a woman and their race?

listened to any popular rap lately?

Obviously this is gonna be another of those "We blacks can say that, but you crackers....not so much" :roll:

MadtownPacker
04-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Now Tyrone, lets not get ahead of ourselves. None of us have a avatar of a "crack smoking" black man. Shouldnt we be offended? I bet Rev Sharpton wouldnt like it.

With that said, I heard the actual broadcast last night and after the "nappy" comment this imus dude made other comments (something about spiuke lee chraracters) that I felt made it very racial.

Does it bother me?

As someone who has actually dealt with racism and not just whined about it (just last October) I have to say no.

Was it nice or right of imus? No, but he aint really on my radar in the first place so I just chalk it up as another cracka speaking his mind. His right, his problem.

Opps, now Im the racist. :D

Scott Campbell
04-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Could I call your wife ugly and then not expect you to get upset..or at least her. If she gets upset is she politically correct.

I never said the players couldn't be upset. Let them be upset. So what.

My wife would probably kick you in the nuts. Then I'd laugh and call you a dumbass. But I guarantee that Reverend Al and Jesse would be nowhere to be found. And there would be no calls for you to lose your job.

Imus said it to get a reaction. When you're in his kind of work, any kind of publicity is good publicity. And fools like you, Sharpton and Jackson unwittingly play right into his hands.

Is it ratings season in radio?

Joemailman
04-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I don't know that white males are really qualified to judge how hurtful the comments may, or may not have been to young, mostly black girls. It should be remembered that 5 of the team members are less than a year removed from high school, certainly not adults. To suddenly be thrust into the public spotlight in such a negative way certainly was grossly unfair to them.

That said, to hear Al Sharpton appointing himself as judge and jury because someone made racially inciteful remarks seems a bit much. Ultimately, whether Imus is fired will probably depend on how many advertisers pull ads, which has started already. If this trend continues, Imus is toast.

mraynrand
04-11-2007, 02:19 AM
I'm no prude...enjoy stern, etc.

LOL. Stern can denigrate retarded people, midgets, and white prostitutes, but boy that Imus, HE crossed a line. It might have been interesting if a reporter at that Rutgers press conference had asked some of the athletes what music they had on their iPods and had examined the 'lyrics.' The giant elephant in the room is the realization that the culture in general has dramatically degraded, and only because of political correctness (read: racial overtones) was Imus singled out from amongst a population of moral degenerates.

GoPackGo
04-11-2007, 12:32 PM
if anyone wants to read a good book read "White Guilt: How Blacks and Whites Together Destroyed the Promise of the Civil Rights Era", by Shelby Steele

http://www.harpercollins.com/harperimages/isbn/large/6/9780060578626.jpg

Merlin
04-11-2007, 12:40 PM

They have the right to fire him. There is a reason Imus won't get fired, he's on the same side as a majority of the media. Rush got canned because he isn't on the same side. It's all political bullshit.

Rush got canned for making an observation about McNabb and his abilities (or lack there of in this case) and how the media hyped him because he was black, which is somewhat true. I agree that McNabb is over-rated and I also agree he is over-hyped. I don't care what color he is but you know the media does.

Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton are two if the biggest racists in this country. They are always sticking their foot in their mouth with white trash talk and they never apologize to anyone, ever.

There is so much hypocrisy in all of this that it's sickening. If it weren't for a lot of the crap on TV, the people they let vent on TV, racism would not be nearly as predominant as it is. And YES, Rap music is a major contributor to it.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-11-2007, 02:07 PM

listened to any popular rap lately?

Obviously this is gonna be another of those "We blacks can say that, but you crackers....not so much" :roll:

Um, when they do it in rap it isn't to get laughs. Not that hard to understand.

My question was explain the humor of Imus's comments. Please elucidate.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Now Tyrone, lets not get ahead of ourselves. None of us have a avatar of a "crack smoking" black man. Shouldnt we be offended? I bet Rev Sharpton wouldnt like it.

With that said, I heard the actual broadcast last night and after the "nappy" comment this imus dude made other comments (something about spiuke lee chraracters) that I felt made it very racial.

Does it bother me?

As someone who has actually dealt with racism and not just whined about it (just last October) I have to say no.

Was it nice or right of imus? No, but he aint really on my radar in the first place so I just chalk it up as another cracka speaking his mind. His right, his problem.

Opps, now Im the racist. :D

madtown..context, baby, context.

Chappel show is a comedy show. Imus isn't a comedy show. He long ago left the ranks of Mancow, Stern, Bubba, etc. When he started interviewing pols and other major figures he put himself in the mainstream press/media.

Imus's comments were sexist and racist. That is fine for a "wacky" dj. Imus isn't that.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-11-2007, 02:13 PM

I never said the players couldn't be upset. Let them be upset. So what.

My wife would probably kick you in the nuts. Then I'd laugh and call you a dumbass. But I guarantee that Reverend Al and Jesse would be nowhere to be found. And there would be no calls for you to lose your job.

Imus said it to get a reaction. When you're in his kind of work, any kind of publicity is good publicity. And fools like you, Sharpton and Jackson unwittingly play right into his hands.

Is it ratings season in radio?

First, tyrone is no fool. Nothing i've posted on this subject is foolish or without logic or merit. If you disagree that is your right, but i'm not arguing out of emotion or stupidity.

If I said it...no comparison. I'm a sole individual. If I said it to your wife while we were both employed at the same company or i said it while at work about her...other employees would certainly go to HR about my "attitude."

Imus is part of the mainstream media. He isn't a stern, etc.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-11-2007, 02:21 PM

LOL. Stern can denigrate retarded people, midgets, and white prostitutes, but boy that Imus, HE crossed a line. It might have been interesting if a reporter at that Rutgers press conference had asked some of the athletes what music they had on their iPods and had examined the 'lyrics.' The giant elephant in the room is the realization that the culture in general has dramatically degraded, and only because of political correctness (read: racial overtones) was Imus singled out from amongst a population of moral degenerates.

You and the rest miss the point. Stern is a shock jock. Imus is part of the mainstream media. He is no different than Rush, Rather, etc.

Therefore the behavior from him as to be held at a higher level than stern. Why do you think that no one is bringing up stern, mancow, bubba, etc.? Because everyone realizes there is a difference tween them and Imus. except for you. Time to put on your thinking cap.

It has nothing to do with PC..the typical bs argument to explain away horrible behavior.

As for what is on their Ipods. Straw man argument. First, you don't know what they are listening to at all. But, you are trying to establish hypocrisy. Nice. Once again you are stereotyping a group of people. How do you know they don't listen to gospel or R&B? Your thought process is racist.

Furthermore, even if they are listening rap that has some offensive lyrics..that isn't the same. Those lyrics aren't directed towards a specific group..aka the rutgers team.

Once again, please explain the humor in his comments. My point is that I have a fairly good sense of humor..evidenced by my avatar and enjoyment of other shock jocks. But, i listened to Imus and didn't find it funny..only sexist and racist.

swede
04-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Most of us are amused by Chappelle and we laugh at the irony, the shock value, and the uncomfortable subject matter.

There is a double standard in our nation, though. Chappelle can lampoon blacks and whites and jews and Mexicans without any fear of someone not "getting" his humor or pretending not to see the greater message beyond the foul language, the cruel generalizations and the name calling that make up his stuff. He can do this because he is black. White comedians can't play at that game. In fact, many members of the African American community in my little town routinely use apalling race-based language to address one another both in friendship and in anger. White folks may not play at that game. This is a "blacks only" form of entertainment. I don't get that. I wish more black leaders would speak against it.

As for Imus, the man actually tries to be a crossover act between ridiculous and serious. He has always utilized disgusting and abusive humor, usually material that is put out there by one of his minions while he chuckles at it. And. yes, he will interview national political figures in a semi-serious manner during the same half-hour of his show.

I am not amused by what Imus said. But I don't for a second think he meant to hurt anyone. He lives in a world where he says cruel and hurtful things about all sorts of people all the time without anyone caring. He could have interviewed Dave Chappelle and asked him why the world needed another nappy-headed comedian and everyone would have laughed.

Imus forgot that some of the world's celebrities are innocents that should be protected from the cruel abuse that functions as entertainment in our society.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Most of us are amused by Chappelle and we laugh at the irony, the shock value, and the uncomfortable subject matter.

There is a double standard in our nation, though. Chappelle can lampoon blacks and whites and jews and Mexicans without any fear of someone not "getting" his humor or pretending not to see the greater message beyond the foul language, the cruel generalizations and the name calling that make up his stuff. He can do this because he is black. White comedians can't play at that game. In fact, many members of the African American community in my little town routinely use apalling race-based language to address one another both in friendship and in anger. White folks may not play at that game. This is a "blacks only" form of entertainment. I don't get that. I wish more black leaders would speak against it.

As for Imus, the man actually tries to be a crossover act between ridiculous and serious. He has always utilized disgusting and abusive humor, usually material that is put out there by one of his minions while he chuckles at it. And. yes, he will interview national political figures in a semi-serious manner during the same half-hour of his show.

I am not amused by what Imus said. But I don't for a second think he meant to hurt anyone. He lives in a world where he says cruel and hurtful things about all sorts of people all the time without anyone caring. He could have interviewed Dave Chappelle and asked him why the world needed another nappy-headed comedian and everyone would have laughed.

Imus forgot that some of the world's celebrities are innocents that should be protected from the cruel abuse that functions as entertainment in our society.

You make some good points.

However, Chappel is a comedian, Imus isn't. Imus long ago crossed over into the serious media. If he wasn't, MSNBC wouldn't be carrying him. More to the point, Chappel picks on targets that have long ago put themselves out there.michael jackson, jesse jackson, etc. These types have long ago lost some of their right to privacy. However, a bunch of collegiate athletes isn't in that group. You are close when you say celebs, but these women aren't celebs. And, while they are put on tv, they aren't entertainers. If so, then they need to get paid. I realize of course they do receive compensation for their efforts, but in no way is it equal to their true value.

Black Leaders: Many of them do speak about it. The N word debate is ongoing. there is no consensus, just as there is no "white" consensus on all issues.

Inter race comm: While I do agree that white comedians can't get away with as much as minority comedians...they had free reign for about 100 years. I don't think 30 years for minorities is to much to give.

As for how they address each other. This is simple. Each group can make fun of itself or use their own wording, but others can't. It is quite simple. And, it doesn't have anything to do with race. For example, your wife can call herself fat and bemoan her fate, but you best duck if you call her that. This double standard has always existed. People ned to get over it.

The problem is that most "white" people don't view themselves as a group therefore they lose that dynamic. Black people, by virtue of whites have had to band together..at least american blacks (side note, africans and caribbean blacks don't see themselves as the same as am blacks). Since whites have been the dominant group (northern euros) they haven't banded together..or had a slur against them. I can't think of what one would call a scot, brit, scandi, etc. S. Euros of course have had a different experience...Eyeties, wop, etc...as have had the irish..drunks, micks, etc.

Interview: You are most likely right. And, Chappel could have countered. but, this wasn't an interview and the rutgers team wasn't afforded the opportunity to counter or disprove his comments.

His comments are patently sexist and racist. Now, make no mistake. I am not calling for him to be fired. Everyone is allowed to say stupid shit...sometimes repeatedly. But, for those to say this is being overblown, that is ridiculous. If it isn't addressed that is paramount to agreeing or condoning that type of behavior.

Jimx29
04-11-2007, 05:00 PM
MP......I suppose "Nappy-Headed Ho Rat", is out of the question? :?:

mraynrand
04-11-2007, 05:18 PM

You and the rest miss the point. Stern is a shock jock. Imus is part of the mainstream media. He is no different than Rush, Rather, etc.

Therefore the behavior from him as to be held at a higher level than stern. Why do you think that no one is bringing up stern, mancow, bubba, etc.? Because everyone realizes there is a difference tween them and Imus. except for you. Time to put on your thinking cap.

It has nothing to do with PC..the typical bs argument to explain away horrible behavior.

As for what is on their Ipods. Straw man argument. First, you don't know what they are listening to at all. But, you are trying to establish hypocrisy. Nice. Once again you are stereotyping a group of people. How do you know they don't listen to gospel or R&B? Your thought process is racist.

Furthermore, even if they are listening rap that has some offensive lyrics..that isn't the same. Those lyrics aren't directed towards a specific group..aka the rutgers team.

Once again, please explain the humor in his comments. My point is that I have a fairly good sense of humor..evidenced by my avatar and enjoyment of other shock jocks. But, i listened to Imus and didn't find it funny..only sexist and racist.

Imus is considered closer to a shock-jock than the mainstream media. That's what I've heard; I've never really watched/listened to him. But I don't find it funny any more than I found Stern's insulting, mysogynist crap funny. Both Stern and Imus need to be held to a higher standard, ABOVE what Imus spews. The only difference between Stern and Imus is that Imus perhaps isn't as consistently disgusting and corrupt as Stern, and has been able to survive outside of Sirius radio. That was my point and you missed it.

The lyrics of hip hop is directed at all women and thus includes the Rutgers women, making it even worse than Imus, because it's more pervasive and routinely insulting and demeaning.

Yes I'm stereotyping a whole group of people - they're called young people - black, white, etc. - most listen to hip hop and have it on their iPods. How do I know? Because my kids' friends are white, black, etc. and I've looked at what they have on their iPods. Nice try, race-baiter. You just can't stand the idea that someone is calling the culture morally degenerate. You're the hypocrite for trying to defend the indefensible crap of Stern.

mraynrand
04-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Imus's comments were sexist and racist. That is fine for a "wacky" dj. Imus isn't that.

What a fraud you are. You'll accept racists sexist remarks from a "wacky" dj, but deplore them from someone else. So in other words, you have to establish yourself as a moral degenerate in order to make racists, misogynistic language acceptable? Well, join the ranks. Conditional morality, eh? In my opinion, you have no credibility.

Merlin
04-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Imus is well known for trying to be funny at the expense of others, it's called s-a-r-c-a-s-m. Does anyone remember a few years back when he was speaking at a dinner with the President? He told a lot of off color jokes that the President was obviously not happy with. He took a lot of crap for it.

So let me get this straight, some "kid" with his shorts down to his ankles, 30 pounds of gold around his neck, a hat with a gay ass straight bill crooked on his head, a gun he has no idea how to use, and virtually no singing talent what-so-ever gets up there and "sings" "kill all tha krackaz and tha cops cuz nigga z in da hauz! fux all dem napi hoz cuz muh gun iz loadedz" is okay? And it's okay for black comedians to say wtfever they want?

The second ANY white person says anything close to that, you think it's wrong? WOW...THAT is hypocritical.

I am not an Imus fan and in fact I think the guy is a stooge. But give me a break here, talk about making something out of nothing.

I have to put up with my religion being suppressed, I am supposed to be "tolerant", For being white I am supposed to apologize, I am middle class so that means my money is everyone's, My right to free speech is now censored, I have to be "compassionate" towards people who invade my country illegally and get more rights then I do, SHIT while I am at it, why don't I bend over and take it right up the ass!

Screw this man, Free Speech is guaranteed and whether or not you agree with whatever he said, he has a right to say that the hell ever he wants to and a right to suffer whatever consequences his EMPLOYER chooses to place on him.

Screw your "feelings", you racist bastards have been feeding off of this "kracker" for too damn long. It's time you grow some balls and suck it up just like the rest of us.

pacfan
04-11-2007, 08:37 PM
How is your religion surpressed?

Rastak
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
is okay? And it's okay for black comedians to say wtfever they want?

The second ANY white person says anything close to that, you think it's wrong? WOW...THAT is hypocritical.

I completely understand what you are saying. However, the one side wasn't enslaved by this country for a few hundred years. Please, NEVER lose sight of that. Yes, the current generation isn't responsible for that. It wasn't but 50 years ago that this country was segragated. I'm in no way a bleeding heart liberal because I almost always vote conservative but I'll never discount the lingering effects of the blatent, unjust, disgusting way American citizens were treated for hundreds of years.

the_idle_threat
04-12-2007, 02:08 AM
I agree that slavery was unjust and disgusting, but it was also 140 years ago. Nodody is alive today who was either a victim or an oppressor in that whole affair. There has to be some kind of statute of limitations on victimhood.

Furthermore, if you study American immigration and population history, you find that a large majority of the ancestors of today's white Americans came to the U.S. in the immigration boom between the 1860s and the 1920s. Even if a person were responsible for the acts of his or her ancestors (which I don't believe, btw), the ancestors of most white Americans in this country had nothing to do with American slavery. My Irish ancestors were busy fleeing the English, and my German ancestors were likely fleeing a combination of anti-Catholic govermental policies and economic depression. They all arrived in the 1870s-1880s.

So while I understand that something awful happened many years ago to a large group of people, I'm very ready to lose sight of it. The past can't be changed; the oppressors are all dead; many white Americans aren't even descendants of the oppressors; it's way past time to move on.

pacfan
04-12-2007, 07:56 AM
I agree that slavery was unjust and disgusting, but it was also 140 years ago. Nodody is alive today who was either a victim or an oppressor in that whole affair. There has to be some kind of statute of limitations on victimhood.

Furthermore, if you study American immigration and population history, you find that a large majority of the ancestors of today's white Americans came to the U.S. in the immigration boom between the 1860s and the 1920s. Even if a person were responsible for the acts of his or her ancestors (which I don't believe, btw), the ancestors of most white Americans in this country had nothing to do with American slavery. My Irish ancestors were busy fleeing the English, and my German ancestors were likely fleeing a combination of anti-Catholic govermental policies and economic depression. They all arrived in the 1870s-1880s.

So while I understand that something awful happened many years ago to a large group of people, I'm very ready to lose sight of it. The past can't be changed; the oppressors are all dead; many white Americans aren't even descendants of the oppressors; it's way past time to move on.

Wow, thats pretty impressive.

The entire civil rights struggle of the 1960's should be forgotten as well since that was nearly 40 years ago. I guess you can also argue that you no longer have any connection/claim to your self-identified Irish ancestory since that was nearly 140 years. You'll have to let the Germans, Catholics, and the English of the hook for their practices since that was ages ago. While it can be argued that some bad things did happen to a group of people, which in turn forced them to flee from their "home" in Europe and colonize the "undiscovered country", it really was a long time ago and its time to simply move on.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-12-2007, 01:42 PM

What a fraud you are. You'll accept racists sexist remarks from a "wacky" dj, but deplore them from someone else. So in other words, you have to establish yourself as a moral degenerate in order to make racists, misogynistic language acceptable? Well, join the ranks. Conditional morality, eh? In my opinion, you have no credibility.

Wow. Talk about missing the point.

When I say "fine" that doesn't mean acceptable, it means expected. I dont' live in some idealistic world. One expects stern, opie and andy, bubba, etc. to do something stupid and then get FIRED..as they have multiple times..with the exception of stern. That is the role of the dj. They are on the cutting edge of pop culture.

Imus is hardly on the cutting edge. Imus may be thought of as a shock jock, but he is hardly one. You don't get carried on MSNBC by being a shock jock. If he is a shock jock, then so is Rush.

As for race baiting: Sorry, but your kids friends aren't even a comparable sampling. Music tastes are different depending on a variety of factors. You don't know what is on their ipods..and to claim differently is a joke.

Furthermore, not all rap is sexist. How do you know these college women aren't listening to something like the fugees, bob marley, common, kanye or a variety of other black musicians. Why would you assume they listening to degrading rap. How do you know they aren't listening to Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, Akon, Fergie, Gym Class Heroes, Beyonce, Shakira, Diddy, R. Kelly, etc.

All of those are in the top 20.

But, I guess in your small world all rap is just full of thugs. Most telling is how you don't even THINK to consider female rappers.

mraynrand
04-12-2007, 03:28 PM

Wow. Talk about missing the point.

When I say "fine" that doesn't mean acceptable, it means expected. I dont' live in some idealistic world. One expects stern, opie and andy, bubba, etc. to do something stupid and then get FIRED..as they have multiple times..with the exception of stern. That is the role of the dj. They are on the cutting edge of pop culture.

Imus is hardly on the cutting edge. Imus may be thought of as a shock jock, but he is hardly one. You don't get carried on MSNBC by being a shock jock. If he is a shock jock, then so is Rush.

As for race baiting: Sorry, but your kids friends aren't even a comparable sampling. Music tastes are different depending on a variety of factors. You don't know what is on their ipods..and to claim differently is a joke.

Furthermore, not all rap is sexist. How do you know these college women aren't listening to something like the fugees, bob marley, common, kanye or a variety of other black musicians. Why would you assume they listening to degrading rap. How do you know they aren't listening to Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, Akon, Fergie, Gym Class Heroes, Beyonce, Shakira, Diddy, R. Kelly, etc.

All of those are in the top 20.

But, I guess in your small world all rap is just full of thugs. Most telling is how you don't even THINK to consider female rappers.

It's interesting to see how you know what I think. I'm guessing what they have on their iPods based on what the most popular rap and pop music is. I would expect that they, like most of my daughters classmates, would have a wide range of music on their iPods, including rap that uses langugage that degrades women. Yes, I assumed that at least one of them would have rap that included lyrics similar to what Imus said. I think that's a likely guess. Some, maybe most might not. Perhaps their brothers, boyfriends or other male friends might be more likely to own that music. What I wrote though was that it would be interesting had one of the reporters asked the girls what they had on their iPods. I didn't say this to denigrate the women on the team, but merely to point out that it might have addressed the pervasiveness of the crap Imus tossed out.

And I couldn't care less what you want to call these guys - shock jocks, etc. My point is that the line separating acceptable and unacceptable could stand being moved a bit - for the society as a whole.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Well, Imus has been fired by CBS. Can't say i'm surprised. Not sure it was warranted.

Interesting to see who will pick him up.

Joemailman
04-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Imus will likely show up on Satellite Radio, unless he decides to retire. I think it is illuminating that Imus is fired for what he said, but Ann Coulter is still getting airtime on Fox after calling John Edwards a faggot. But given that it's Fox, maybe she gets airtime because she called Edwards a faggot.

Jimx29
04-12-2007, 07:52 PM
A black sports columnist speaks up

It's more than just Imus

April 12, 2007

In retrospect, outraged people shouldn't have united and screamed "blank you" to Don Imus the last few days. No, instead, we should've stuck out our hand and said, "Thank you."

We should feel indebted to a shriveled, unfunny, insensitive frog for being so ignorant that he actually did us all a favor. He woke society the hell up. He grabbed it by the throat, shook hard and ordered us to take a long, critical look at ourselves and the mess we've made and ignored for much too long. He made us examine the culture and the characters we've created for ourselves, our impressionable young people and our future.

Had Imus not called a bunch of proud and innocent young women "nappy-headed hos," would we be as ashamed of what we see as we are today?

Or, to quote Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer: "Have we really lost our moral fiber?"

And our minds as well?

I'm not sure if the last few days will serve as a watershed moment for this MTV, middle-finger, screw-you generation. Probably not, according to my hunch. A short time from now, the hysteria will turn to vapor, folks will settle back into their routines, somebody will pump up the volume on the latest poison produced by hip-hop while Al Sharpton and the other racial ambulance chasers will find other guilt-ridden white folks to shake for fame and cash. In five minutes, the entire episode of Imus and his strange idea of humor will be older than his hairstyle. Lessons learned will be lessons forgotten.

I wish I were wrong about that last part. But I doubt it, because any minute now, black people will resume calling themselves bitches and hos and the N-word and in the ultimate sign of hypocrisy, neither Rutgers nor anyone else will call a news conference about that.

Because when we really get to the root of the problem, this isn't about Imus. This is about a culture we -- meaning black folks -- created and condoned and packaged for white power brokers to sell and shock jocks like Imus to exploit. Can we talk?

Tell me: Where did an old white guy like Imus learn the word "ho"?

Was that always part of his vocabulary? Or did he borrow it from Jay-Z and Dave Chappelle and Snoop Dogg?

What really disappointed me about that exhausting Rutgers news conference, which was slyly used as a recruiting pitch by Stringer, was the absence of the truth and the lack of backbone and courage. Black women had the perfect opportunity to lash out at their most dangerous oppressors -- black men -- and yet they kept the focus on a white guy.

It was a tremendous letdown for me, personally and professionally. I wanted Stringer, and especially her players, many of whom listen to rap and hip-hop, to take Nelly to task. Or BET. Or MTV. Or the gangsta culture that is suffocating our kids. They had the ear and eye of the nation trained upon them, and yet these women didn't get to the point and the root of the matter. They danced around it, and I guess I should've known better, because black people still refuse to lash out against those black people who are doing harm to us all.

Honestly, I wasn't holding my breath for Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, a pair of phony and self-appointed leaders, because they have their agendas and financial stakes. I was hoping 10 young women, who have nothing on the line, who are members of a young culture, would train their attention to within the race, name names and say enough is enough. But they didn't, and I was crushed.

You should walk around the playground and the elementary and high schools today and listen to how young black people speak to each other, treat each other and tease each other. You'd be ashamed. Next, sample some of their CDs and look at the video games they're playing. And while you're at it, blame yourself for funding this garbage, for allowing your kids to support these companies and for not taking a stand against it or the so-called artists making it happen.

Black folks, for whatever reason, can be their own worst enemy. The last several days, the media had us believe it was Don Imus. But deep down, we know better.

Couldn't of said it any better myself

Linkage (http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/ny-sppow125168074apr12,0,6566261.column?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines)

Rastak
04-12-2007, 08:56 PM

I do understand your point...maybe we'll just have to disagree. Actually, if you and I sat down and had a brewski we may very well agree. I'm not an ultra-liberal in any sense of the word. Not even close. I just understand some of the increased sensitivity on some things....systematic racism existed out in the open just 40 some years ago, not 140. I 100% agree, however, that sometimes it's just used as an excuse. A total cop out by some people and groups. Listen to Bill Cosby, one of my favorite public people. He realizes there's a sort of victim dynamic going on. I COMPLETELY agreee it's time to move on....but a part of me still can't comprehend how friggen horrific the crimes this county commited against an entire race of people. I know, it's best if we get over it, but it isn't easy, that's for sure.

pacfan
04-12-2007, 09:01 PM

I do understand your point...maybe we'll just have to disagree. Actually, if you and I sat down and had a brewski we may very well agree. I'm not an ultra-liberal in any sense of the word. Not even close. I just understand some of the increased sensitivity on some things....systematic racism existed out in the open just 40 some years ago, not 140. I 100% agree, however, that sometimes it's just used as an excuse. A total cop out by some people and groups. Listen to Bill Cosby, one of my favorite public people. He realizes there's a sort of victim dynamic going on. I COMPLETELY agreee it's time to move on....but a part of me still can't comprehend how friggen horrific the crimes this county commited against an entire race of people. I know, it's best if we get over it, but it isn't easy, that's for sure.

Well said.

mraynrand
04-12-2007, 09:45 PM

[quote]It's more than just Imus

April 12, 2007

I was hoping 10 young women, who have nothing on the line, who are members of a young culture, would train their attention to within the race, name names and say enough is enough. But they didn't, and I was crushed.

You should walk around the playground and the elementary and high schools today and listen to how young black people speak to each other, treat each other and tease each other. You'd be ashamed. Next, sample some of their CDs and look at the video games they're playing. And while you're at it, blame yourself for funding this garbage, for allowing your kids to support these companies and for not taking a stand against it or the so-called artists making it happen.

Black folks, for whatever reason, can be their own worst enemy. The last several days, the media had us believe it was Don Imus. But deep down, we know better.

How could this black columnist assume what black kids have for CDs? Maybe they have gospel music or Gwen Stafani. The fact that he didn't even mention a female rapper must disqualify his judgment. Maybe he's a racist against his own race?

Rastak
04-13-2007, 04:59 AM

April 12, 2007

I was hoping 10 young women, who have nothing on the line, who are members of a young culture, would train their attention to within the race, name names and say enough is enough. But they didn't, and I was crushed.

How could this black columnist assume what black kids have for CDs? Maybe they have gospel music or Gwen Stafani. The fact that he didn't even mention a female rapper must disqualify his judgment. Maybe he's a racist against his own race?

It sounds to me like he's referring to what he's seen with his own eyes. Not what ALL kids listen to perhaps.

the_idle_threat
04-13-2007, 05:25 AM

Wow, thats pretty impressive.

The entire civil rights struggle of the 1960's should be forgotten as well since that was nearly 40 years ago.

???

How can you compare the civil rights movement, where people stood up and refused to be victims, to the woe-is-me slavery crowd, who want to be seen as victims when they aren't in order to leverage white guilt?

I draw a huge distinction between truimphing over adversity, fighting against unequal treatment that was happening at that time, and whining about past injustices that are no longer taking place and where the oppressors are no longer around to take responsibility.

I guess you can also argue that you no longer have any connection/claim to your self-identified Irish ancestory since that was nearly 140 years.

Actually I happen to agree here, even if this point comes out of left field. I don't consider myself a German-American or an Irish-American. I'm an American, period. However, I certainly am not arguing that people shouldn't celebrate their heritage. Don't know where you get that from ...

You'll have to let the Germans, Catholics, and the English of the hook for their practices since that was ages ago. While it can be argued that some bad things did happen to a group of people, which in turn forced them to flee from their "home" in Europe and colonize the "undiscovered country", it really was a long time ago and its time to simply move on.

I agree completely, and this is my point. I mentioned what I did because, even though I could claim victimhood from mistreatment of my ancestors via the same paradigm that gives descendants of slaves their victimhood, I don't. Perhaps it was not clear from the way I wrote it. Nobody in my family cries "victim" over past mistreatment of "my people" by the English or the German government of the late 1800's. It exists on the record as historical fact, but it's water under the bridge. Some people move on, and some other people need to.

I'll give you this: I overstated my point by implying that slavery in this country should be forgotten altogether; I don't believe this. It should be recorded as a historical fact, just like anything else. I only dispute its power as a trump card in today's race relations.

I don't see the point in anyone feeling guilty for something they didn't actually do, or on the flipside, in anyone harboring resentment for something done generations ago.

the_idle_threat
04-13-2007, 05:54 AM

I like to think we'd agree more than disagree here. I don't beleive people need to "get over" poor treatment that is ongoing. They just need to pick their battles. The slavery battle is over, and it's time to move on from that one. Otherwise, I don't see how race relations can improve. Just my opinion, of course.

Mazzin
04-13-2007, 06:34 AM
The girls of that basketball team are acting like they have never had anything racist happen to them in their life. I'm sure that there is a HOE of the team, and I'm sure she CHOOSES to get around, so no one is making her be a hoe, and on top of that I'm sure the girls have called eachother worse names in the locker room....oh but wait I forgot about that old double standard, African Americans can call eachother pretty much whatever they want, and they aren't offended. " Hey my N*****?" said by a black male to another black male, and it's "all good", BUT why would you choose to use a word to call yourself, or another person of your race that is supposedly totally offensive.

Also what about all the rappers, I have heard MUCH worse stuff said in alot of my boyfriends rap songs that are WAY more degrading to African American women. Talking about bitch this, ho that, fuck this, GD that, I'm a pimp, and I mack these ho's...I mean, has Al Sharpton (who really is just trying so hard to be the next Martin Luther King Jr. and I'm sure there will never be.) asked snoop doggs' letter of resignation? I mean why the double standard? Its okay for ANY rapper to do it, but let some old guy do it, and "oh you need to meet with revernd Sharpton...WTF?

Also about the double standard, George Jefferson of the Jeffersons, callled us whites "honkeys, and crackers" for YEARS! Did white american complain about being offended? Most certaintly not, we took it in stride. We don't complain still, I really just dont get these double standards. :roll:

Suspension is fine, getting fired is bogus....his ratings will speak for themselves when more people tune out, so why not just let it wether away like you know it will (his career). Hell even Charles Barkley said two days ago, that he thinks an apology is all thats needed, and thats comming from a man who said " I hate white people" and at the time it wasn't even this big of a deal! Either way, just my 2 cents sorry for the long drawn out thing, I'm now stepping off my soap box!

MJZiggy
04-13-2007, 07:12 AM
So what you're telling us is that out of 10 women on full scholarship to a good university, one of them MUST be a ho??? What an interesting theory...one of them CHOOSES to get around, and you're so sure of this why?

I agree about rap lyrics, but as was said before, you can lay some of that on the parents and people like your boyfriend who purchase and support that kind of crap. They put lyric warnings on CD packaging so people know ahead of time the content that they are buying. And why aren't YOU personally offended that he listens to music that is so degrading to women?

The "George Jefferson" double standard exists because George was taking shots at the class of people that holds the power in this country (even moreso when he did it). That actually makes a huge difference as his language is not seen as trying to opress anyone because he doesn't have the power to do it.

I think it is the prerogative of the network to choose what they feel is acceptable to air on their stations. If they feel he went too far, it it well within their rights to can him, just like when any other representative of a company does something the company feels is embarrassing to their reputation. That's the way it goes.

pacfan
04-13-2007, 08:34 AM
For Idle:

I agree that using the past to justify or legitimize failures in the present is a just wrong. I know people who use "victim-hood" as a rationalization for why they can't succeed (its always somebody elses fault). My point is that you can't just wipe away the bad things that have happen in this country just because nobody is alive that is connected or suffering from it. You should take pride in your heritage being the Mic/Kraut that you are. Slavery was a abhorrent disgrace for this country. But this country also fought and sacrificed to bring an end to slavery.

Mazzin:

Your statement about the women on the team being a "ho" is probably worse than Imus's statement, IMHO. Why even make that claim, do you know them. Have you had enough contact with women athletes to make that judgement?

Imus and free speech:

He exercised his right to free speech when he said his comments and this is the result of it. CBS and his sponsors exercised their rights as a business corporation in terminating their association with him. Is it wrong? Imus opened himself up to criticism for the comment, which I thought was pretty stupid.

and heres a question for you...who invented the word "nigger".

retailguy
04-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Well, Imus has been fired by CBS. Can't say i'm surprised. Not sure it was warranted.

Well, this is what all the "influential" black leaders wanted. Of course it wasn't warranted.

Tyrone - This is REALITY.

You, as an African American man could call me anything you wanted and no harm, criticisim, or retribution will come to you.

I, as a Caucausian man, can't call you ANYTHING, else I'll be labeled a "biggot" at a minumum, and a racist. I'll be fired immediately from my job, and excoriated in the press, and on TV.

This is "RACISM" in 2007. Kinda sad when you think about it, huh?

pacfan
04-13-2007, 10:10 AM

Well, this is what all the "influential" black leaders wanted. Of course it wasn't warranted.

You, as an African American man could call me anything you wanted and no harm, criticisim, or retribution will come to you.

I, as a Caucausian man, can't call you ANYTHING, else I'll be labeled a "biggot" at a minumum, and a racist. I'll be fired immediately from my job, and excoriated in the press, and on TV.

prove it.

Kiwon
04-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Imus isn’t the real bad guy

Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.

By JASON WHITLOCK - Columnist

Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we’re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I’m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent’s or Snoop Dogg’s or Young Jeezy’s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain’t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don’t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It’s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I’m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn’t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should’ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it’s only the beginning. It’s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we’re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers’ wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don’t listen or watch Imus’ show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it’s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they’re suckers for pursuing education and that they’re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I’ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is — a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you’re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There’s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.

mraynrand
04-13-2007, 10:41 AM

April 12, 2007

It sounds to me like he's referring to what he's seen with his own eyes. Not what ALL kids listen to perhaps.

Missed the satire? Compare what this columnist wrote to what I wrote about what my kids and their friends have on their ipods and what i predicted the Rutgers Girls might have on their iPods - and my satire with the response of our resident moral relativist, Ty bigguns.

Zig,

as far as what mazzin is saying, I would bet good money she's right - at the very least the girls on the team have been exposed to the 'dark side' of the hip hip culture. You have to believe at least that much. My kids go to schools that are about 70% black, and even the younger ones hear the lingo in 4th and 5th grade - from both white and black boys, mostly, but some girls too. In college I dated a basketball player and a vollyball player. That was a few years back, but I can tell you that the girls team culture is a little bit more crude than your average collection of college kids. let me stress, NONE OF THIS EXCUSES IMUS. The point is about this is the saturation of the culture with this crap, and the general impact it has on kids. It isn't positive and if we can use the Imus thing as motivation to 'back away from the edge' so to speak of cultural depravity, then perhaps it's a good thing.

retailguy
04-13-2007, 10:56 AM

prove it.

I guess this is where I say "prove it isn't true". :roll:

Name the last black radio DJ fired for dissing white people? Name the last black rap music star that was denegrated and called a racist for his hateful song lyrics? It just doesn't happen, Pacfan. There is no "equivalent" to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton in any other race of people that run around talking about how "unfair" life is.

Reality, an african american can use the "n" word with another african american and it's "funny" or some kind of "badge of honor"(that I'll never understand). If the word is that bad, shouldn't it be bad no matter WHO uses it? It seems to be bad, only when caucasian people use it.

mraynrand
04-13-2007, 11:08 AM

prove it.

Retail,

I think Pacfan wanted to see you get fired, excoriated in the press and on TV. I have a hard time seeing the Koolaid guy running aroung calling people the 'n' word. OH YEAH!

Partial
04-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I actually agree with RG on this one. People claim racism, I say open your eyes and read the newspaper. Blacks rip on us all the time and get jobs over me simply because they are black. Reverse racism exists more than standard racism today.

I would say sexual orientation is a much more sensitive subject and bigger problem than racism.

retailguy
04-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Retail,

I think Pacfan wanted to see you get fired, excoriated in the press and on TV. I have a hard time seeing the Koolaid guy running aroung calling people the 'n' word. OH YEAH!

:D Well, these days, I'd like to think I'm a little smarter than Don Imus.

What he said was STUPID. There is no denying that. He is 66. He knows better. You can't defend that. Do you fire him for it? No. Let the market decide. You quit listening to him and let his show get canceled because of poor ratings. THEN, he can't get another job. Now, he'll be Howard Stern, Jr on Satellite radio, and nothing happens. The medium just moves...

Partial - I wasn't trying to say Racism is not a problem. I was saying that things are being labeled as "racism" that aren't racism.

You seem to be preaching "tolerance". "Tolerance" of lifestyles is a different animal than race issues. Understand the parallel that you're making but I don't think it works.

mraynrand
04-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I actually agree with RG on this one. People claim racism, I say open your eyes and read the newspaper. Blacks rip on us all the time and get jobs over me simply because they are black. Reverse racism exists more than standard racism today.

I would say sexual orientation is a much more sensitive subject and bigger problem than racism.

You may be right about sexula orientation. Ever notice that the symbol for Volvo (which suspiciously sounds like 'vulva') is the biological symbol for a Male? Talk about confused

http://www.ospreydesign.com/foreword/archives/volvo-2006-logo.jpg

http://www.chains-and-charms.com/charms/images/2356_large.jpg

And what about Toyota?

http://www.sliabhgcuastmarys.com/fergal/Toyota%20symbol.jpg

Either it's a Weeble with a halo or a turd in a toilet, or ????

pacfan
04-13-2007, 12:24 PM

prove it.

Retail,

Yeah, thats it. Kool-aid for wimps and non-believers

Partial
04-13-2007, 01:14 PM

You may be right about sexula orientation. Ever notice that the symbol for Volvo (which suspiciously sounds like 'vulva') is the biological symbol for a Male? Talk about confused

And what about Toyota?

http://www.oeskovic.com/images/dodge-ram-logo.jpg

pacfan
04-13-2007, 01:32 PM
I guess this is where I say "prove it isn't true". :roll:

Name the last black radio DJ fired for dissing white people? Name the last black rap music star that was denegrated and called a racist for his hateful song lyrics? It just doesn't happen, Pacfan. There is no "equivalent" to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton in any other race of people that run around talking about how "unfair" life is.

Reality, an african american can use the "n" word with another african american and it's "funny" or some kind of "badge of honor"(that I'll never understand). If the word is that bad, shouldn't it be bad no matter WHO uses it? It seems to be bad, only when caucasian people use it.

Name me some nation-wide Black DJ's, I don't know any.

Black rap “stars” get slammed for their music all time, even in this forum. Wal-Mart has advisory labels on the covers. What other music carries the same? People are still stupid enough to buy their trash which negates any attempts to clean it up.

Reality, nigger is a white construct used to denigrate blacks. Perhaps they (I'm not black) took ownership of that word to empower themselves and remove the stigma, but I would bet that the use of the word is still controversial in the black community. But I agree its bad no matter who uses it (including me using it twice).

Imus, assuming he marginally educated, shouldn't have said what he. He was stupid for saying it and in-turn offended a certain group of people who aren't thick-skinned enough to let it go as just a stupid comment. The media, looking for whatever hook they can to sell their papers, rating, ads whatever, made this into a huge over-blown event. Now Imus is canned as a result (perhaps not directly, who knows for sure) and so another part of society is upset that their token white guy was fired for saying something stupid and new we’re supposed to feel sorry for them because they can’t say stupid shit without impunity.

Somebody in here was bitching that our moral fiber is lacking, perhaps they fail to see that people raised correctly don’t say stupid shit (racial or otherwise) about other people (especially in a nation forum).

Go ahead rip on me if you need to, I can take it.

oregonpackfan
04-13-2007, 02:05 PM
As the infamous Rodney King once pleaded, "Can't we all just get along?"

Tyrone Bigguns
04-13-2007, 02:19 PM

Black leaders have wanted him and others fired, but more importantly they want a CHANGE. Sharpton, Jesse, etc. have also criticized the music industry. But, that isn't a STORY..it doesn't generate that much heat, so it isn't covered.

BTW, i'm not black you maroon.

Name calling: How do you figure. In the context of name calling at work..both sides would be punished. I love how you make it out like anyone black has a free reign to do anything. Please show me some examples of this. I seem to recall about has much coverage and brouhaha over Dusty's comments last year.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-13-2007, 02:22 PM

What job have you been prevented from getting based on race. I call bullshit.

I'm more inclined to believe you didn't get the job because you are...well, you are you.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-13-2007, 02:24 PM

And what about Toyota?

volvo..you got to be kidding. You think they call vulva in swedish?

packinpatland
04-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Hold the phone!!!!
I drive Volvos, have for the past 27 years!

On a more serious note, the part about this whole thing that bothers me the most NOW, is, I'm not sure about folks like Sharpton or Jackson becoming this 'empowered'. For me, the thought is very scarey.

mraynrand
04-13-2007, 02:39 PM
All I know is that I'm scarred for life. I'll never be able to eat a Ho Ho without some discomfort ever again.

http://www.carlsteadman.com/placing/h.jpeg

Also, I understand Santa is no longer allowed to laugh heartily. Only a mild chuckle is permitted!

Jimx29
04-13-2007, 02:48 PM
I understand sales are quite brisk: Click (http://www.cafepress.com/buy/nappy+headed+ho/-/pv_design_details/pg_1/id_18789067/opt_/fpt_/c_360/)

pacfan
04-13-2007, 02:52 PM
All I know is that I'm scarred for life. I'll never be able to eat a Ho Ho without some discomfort ever again.

http://www.carlsteadman.com/placing/h.jpeg

Also, I understand Santa is no longer allowed to laugh heartily. Only a mild chuckle is permitted!

...and that is the funniest thing I seen you post yet. :lol:

oregonpackfan
04-13-2007, 04:45 PM
I understand sales are quite brisk: Click (http://www.cafepress.com/buy/nappy+headed+ho/-/pv_design_details/pg_1/id_18789067/opt_/fpt_/c_360/)

Incredible website!

How about taking up a collection of a couple of those T-shirts for Don Imus? :)

Partial
04-13-2007, 05:11 PM

What job have you been prevented from getting based on race. I call bullshit.

I'm more inclined to believe you didn't get the job because you are...well, you are you.

Never happened to me personally. I've never been turned down for a job that I applied for. It happens all the time though, especially in terms of state and federal employees.

It's called diversity quotas that have to be met. You're ignorant if you don't think this happens. Affirmative action is a load of crap.

Mazzin
04-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Let me clear it up... I don't agree with what Imus said, I think he should have just kept it to himself, I'm in no way glorifying him. What I'm trying to say is that these girls are being TOLD how to feel. Think about it, at first they said they didn't want any press, and they didn't want to make it into TO big a deal. Then 2 days later turn around and want to hold a PRESS CONFRENCE at the F'n school? I mean, its that these girls are just upset because everyone is telling them to feel that way. I'm SURE one of the girls are a hoe, I played basketball, volleyball, and soccer.....and i KNOW that there we at LEAST 2 girls on each team that got around the school...Youth now-a-days Ziggy, is a totally different ball game sister.

Also the rutgers girls all had tattoos, and I don't care what ANY of you say, when IMUS said, "Who is tennessee playing? The Toronto Raptors....now THATS funny, and I personally think nothing is wrong with that.

Mazzin
04-13-2007, 05:45 PM
DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!

I won't argue about double standards with anyone untill they watch this....http://break.com/index/double_standard.html

NOW WHAT THE HELL!?!?! I mean that is on C-SPAN, also it's insane that they cheer him on??? I mean this literally PISSES ME OFF! I mean how can they CONDONE this???? There wasn't no big deal about this, just him saying how he feels and no one says shit, because he is black. Thats whats messed up with our world. We are SO consumed by our past, that we can't brigten our damned future!

Mazzin
04-13-2007, 05:46 PM
http://break.com/index/double_standard.html

GrnBay007
04-13-2007, 06:06 PM
...Youth now-a-days Ziggy, is a totally different ball game sister.

Who cares about this whole Imus thing.........I'm just relieved to know there were NO ho's prior to late 90's / early 2000's.

:P :wink:

Mazzin
04-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Haha good one...chuckle chuckle. :roll:

MJZiggy
04-13-2007, 06:35 PM

Yes, it was so different back when I was young and we watched the surface of the planet cooling for fun...

the_idle_threat
04-13-2007, 09:16 PM
We are SO consumed by our past, that we can't brighten our damned future!

:idea: :idea: :idea:

QFT

Zool
04-13-2007, 10:58 PM

Yes, it was so different back when I was young and we watched the surface of the planet cooling for fun...How was the Paleazoic era?

the_idle_threat
04-13-2007, 11:17 PM
I'll bet folks got plenty of exercise running away from big toothy critters.

Oppression!!!

Scott Campbell
04-13-2007, 11:54 PM
What job have you been prevented from getting based on race. I call bullshit..

I've actually seen this in a government job I had right out of college. Minorities and women received special treatment to fit quotas and ratios. And believe it or not, it was in a safety related field. The government put quotas ahead of public safety.

Scott Campbell
04-14-2007, 12:02 AM
I don't think minorities, and particularly black minorities, will ever achieve equal status in this country until they begin behaving as equals. It's not enough just to be granted equal status. I think they're asking for more than can be given to them. They have act the part, or the equality solution is not complete.

But that's just my opinion.

Rastak
04-14-2007, 12:57 AM
I don't think minorities, and particularly black minorities, will ever achieve equal status in this country until they begin behaving as equals. It's not enough just to be granted equal status. I think they're asking for more than can be given to them. They have act the part, or the equality solution is not complete.

Hmmm.....I guess there is a bit of truth buried in there Scott. I'm just pissed as anyone can be that the racist lawmakers back in day voted down the 40 acres and a mule. What a shitty tiny bit of compensation and those asshole bastards voted that down. Real nice guys, real nice.

packinpatland
04-14-2007, 08:16 AM

Very good opinion it is too.

Morgan Freeman was quoted recently as saying he didn't like being referred to as an 'AfricanAmerican', he was simply an American, who happened to be black.

This week I felt compelled to join in on a message board on Oprah W's website, about a completely different topic. Before being allowed to post, you must register. In filling out the lenthy list of questions, I stopped at the one that asked 'Race?'. Like I said, I stopped right there.

MJZiggy
04-14-2007, 09:04 AM

Very good opinion it is too.

Morgan Freeman was quoted recently as saying he didn't like being referred to as an 'AfricanAmerican', he was simply an American, who happened to be black.

This week I felt compelled to join in on a message board on Oprah W's website, about a completely different topic. Before being allowed to post, you must register. In filling out the lenthy list of questions, I stopped at the one that asked 'Race?'. Like I said, I stopped right there.

When I have the option, I like to answer that question "human"

oregonpackfan
04-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Under "race" I have felt the temptation to write "I have raced 5K's, 10K's, and 4 marathons, but now I just jog."

MJZiggy
04-14-2007, 11:47 AM

Yes, it was so different back when I was young and we watched the surface of the planet cooling for fun...How was the Paleazoic era?
Paleozoic was pretty cool watching everything develop, but Mesozoic was kind of a pain. And travel wasn't much fun in either era because nothing was where it was supposed to be. Stupid tectonic plates...

esoxx
04-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Straw Man argument.

esoxx
04-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Just wanted to play the most over-used card on this board.

Jimx29
04-14-2007, 02:32 PM
I'll be damned...Jason Whitlock actually made it on to one of the 24/7 news channels and says Jackson and Sharpton are terrorist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5ZQXaXmCW4

pacfan
04-14-2007, 02:51 PM
I don't think minorities, and particularly black minorities, will ever achieve equal status in this country until they begin behaving as equals.

What type of behavior would you want? The bias right now is that white people lose out on jobs because of minority quotas. Exactly how many jobs are held by non-white people and are you certain that they have it becasue of race?

Should every job in the country be first offered to a white person first? Only after it is pubicly declined should then a non-white person be offered the same position?

Whew, white-entitlement

Condolezza Rice? should she behave better by forgoing her position so that a "better trained" white person can hold the position?

Alberto Gonzales, ok bad example.......

It is amazing that you are so certain the non-white people hired lack the same skills you have or deprived you of your "rightful" position.

Mazzin
04-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Last night, me and my boyfriend talked about this topic for quite some time. I was surprised when he told me the company he works for will not hire black people, not his ENTIRE company, but the store he works at will not. There are a total of 7 people that work there. The reason they will not hire any black males (always males, they ALL have to lift heavy weight) because in the 13 years they have been opened here, a total of 7 black males had PREVIOUSLY worked there. It all comes down to this.

7 black males = 6 black males caught stealing (out of the register, or loading up their friends at the back door) And the odd man out, got fired because they had suspected he was stealing out of the register, because they were always off 50 to 100 dollars, once a week. Than one day he came in all pilled out, and collapsed on the racks in the back....after he got fired the register was never short again.

They have had 2 white males get fired for stealing since being open, so thats the conclusion they have come up with. It's logical because that ratio is INSANE, due to there always being more white males than black males. And I'm not saying I agree, just relaying because I found it interesting.

Also on the 11 O'Clock news at least 4 times a week there is a shooting downtown here. Granted it's not the best place down there, but I would estimate %85-%90 are African American males. Why is it that black on black crime is the worst as far as occurences go?

Not trying to offend anyone, just growing up where I have grown up my life, it leaves alot of impressions, and ideas on you. Some unwanted, and hard to cope with.

Scott Campbell
04-14-2007, 04:58 PM
It is amazing that you are so certain the non-white people hired lack the same skills you have or deprived you of your "rightful" position.

It wasn't mine, or anyone elses rightful position. The position should have gone to those most qualified. Period. Minorities were not held to the same hiring/washout standard that whites were. That's just how it was. Everybody knew it, and knew why we had to do it. Unfortunately minorities didn't apply for the job at the same rate as whites, so when they did get ahold of one they went to somewhat extreme lengths to get them through the program.

Scott Campbell
04-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Exactly how many jobs are held by non-white people and are you certain that they have it becasue of race?

I'd bet nobody could tell you exactly how many. And I'm guessing that you know that. So it's a stupid question.

Scott Campbell
04-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Should every job in the country be first offered to a white person first?

I have no clue as to how anything I said could have possibly been construed/twisted in such a manner.

packinpatland
04-14-2007, 05:07 PM
I'll be damned...Jason Whitlock actually made it on to one of the 24/7 news channels and says Jackson and Sharpton are terrorist

Wow!! Did I not make the same point previously???
Jackson and Sharpton are empowerded by these controversies and this is scarey! I agree totally with Jason Whitlock..............and that doesn't happen often.

Scott Campbell
04-14-2007, 05:08 PM

It's nearly as amazing as someone with no firsthand experience with my situation questioning it.

Scott Campbell
04-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Last night, me and my boyfriend talked about this topic for quite some time. I was surprised when he told me the company he works for will not hire black people, not his ENTIRE company, but the store he works at will not.

That is discrimination, and it's just plain wrong. Besides being immoral, it exposes the company to a huge liability risk, and I'm sure damages would far outweigh anything that was previously stolen.

pacfan
04-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Exactly how many jobs are held by non-white people and are you certain that they have it becasue of race?

I'd bet nobody could tell you exactly how many. And I'm guessing that you know that. So it's a stupid question.

You are so quick to pass judgement. It was just a question to see that if you knew of any non-white people who held a job and if it was strictly on the basis of race? You said quotas were "put ahead" of safety standards, implying to me that the person hired didn't meet standards (perhaps yours) for the agency. I was wondering if you knew how many non-white people were employed in such a manner for you to say such a statement. If it makes you feel better, I don't know the answer either.

I also responded to your behavior comment. What is the appropiate behavior minorities, especially blacks, should adopt in order to legitimately qualify for a job with your (perhaps former) government agency?

Is it unfair to engage you on your comments? Your previous post seems to imply that I shouldn't considering that I don't have first-hand knowledge.

We can still be friends right?

Scott Campbell
04-14-2007, 05:42 PM
You are so quick to pass judgement.

LOL

Pot meet kettle.

Scott Campbell
04-14-2007, 05:47 PM
I also responded to your behavior comment. What is the appropiate behavior minorities, especially blacks, should adopt in order to legitimately qualify for a job with your (perhaps former) government agency?

At the time (87-90) it was very difficult to determine prior to hiring whether people had the aptitude or not. It took about 3 years to get someone through the program, and the washout rate was about 95%. That is, unless you were a woman or a minority.

Scott Campbell
04-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Is it unfair to engage you on your comments? Your previous post seems to imply that I shouldn't considering that I don't have first-hand knowledge..

Then you've minintepreted what I meant - again. And that seems to be the pattern here.

Mazzin
04-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Yea I agree it's wrong. I asked my boyfriend, and he says that they just will turn them down...and i know its bad, but my boyfriend said that the manager said "If they don't have tattos, and look all "niggerish". "

Which even for what I belive I don't think he should say that kind of stuff period, just keep it to yourself, alot of things are better that way.

But it is still a DOUBLE STANDARD!

Miss BLACK America....What if we had a Miss WHITE America? = pissed of African Americans.

N.A.A.C.P.....what if N.A.A.W.P? = pissed off African Americans.

Negro College fund.....White College fund? ......you guessed it = pissed of African Americans.

If you want equality, why want to be soo different.

Oh yea one more, what if we had WHITE history month? I mean come on now.

Kiwon
04-14-2007, 06:23 PM

Okay, I'm mad now. How dare he go on TV and hurt the underground economy by exposing the shake-down industry!

Jesse's got a love child to support. Al doesn't wear the same $3,000 suit twice. He don't know who he's messin' with. Watch out, Jason. Pacman Jones has time and needs some work.

Don't meddle in the bidness of The Justice Brothers!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_041107/home.parcoltop33.19508.ImageFile.jpg

Scott Campbell
04-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Al doesn't wear the same $3,000 suit twice.

Now let's be fair. The only reason those suits are $3K each is the massive amount of fabric involved. It's not like they're Armani.

Joemailman
04-14-2007, 06:54 PM

Okay, I'm mad now. How dare he go on TV and hurt the underground economy by exposing the shake-down industry!

Jesse's got a love child to support. Al doesn't wear the same $3,000 suit twice. He don't know who he's messin' with. Watch out, Jason. Pacman Jones has time and needs some work.

Don't meddle in the bidness of The Justice Brothers!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_041107/home.parcoltop33.19508.ImageFile.jpg

I agree with much of what Whitlock said, although using the word terrorist was a bit much. Actually Kiwon, I wouldn't focus too much on Jesse's role in this. I think he's a has-been. This was Sharpton's show, and he played it for all it was worth. This whole thing might have had a different ending if the Rutgers coach had been the focal point instead of Sharpton. I pretty much agreed with everything she said.

mraynrand
04-14-2007, 10:55 PM

It wasn't mine, or anyone elses rightful position. The position should have gone to those most qualified. Period. Minorities were not held to the same hiring/washout standard that whites were. That's just how it was. Everybody knew it, and knew why we had to do it. Unfortunately minorities didn't apply for the job at the same rate as whites, so when they did get ahold of one they went to somewhat extreme lengths to get them through the program.

Thomas Sowell makes a strong argument, supported by extensive research and data, that quotas, especially at law schools and medical schools, really hurt blacks more that they helped. What happened is that a lot of blacks were admitted to schools that were above their acheivement level. It's not that they weren't competent at a particular level, just that they'd been admitted to harder programs for which they weren't prepared. It was not a reflection of lesser abilities of minorities, rather a numbers game. If only a small population of a race is applying for a program, only a small fraction will be capable of handling the harder curriculum of top schools. Thus if minorities are admitted according to a quota at all schools, the minorities will disproportionately drop out of the harder programs. That's what happened to blacks, largely in the 70s.

The moral of the story is that the best method to acheive equality of opportunity isn't extreme egalitarianism, with a push for equality of outcome. If we only cared about equality of outcome, then we would certainly try to keep the children of first generation (legal) immigrants out of schools, as they are disproportionately the most successful students in America. I believe the best method is to attempt to bolster the family and family values. Cohesive families are the key. I used to see this all the time in San Jose - Vietnamese families, sometimes 6-8 living in a two bedroom apartment, had the best behaved, highest acheiving kids in the schools. Just go to any school/university on a Friday night and look at who is studying at the library. Family mattered and the values that a lot of us take for granted (love of country, self-reliance, hard work, respect for authority, love of family, trust in God) were evident. No amount of affirmative action can short cut the postitive effect of these values.

Mazzin
04-14-2007, 11:50 PM
I guess im just an idiot, no one wants to talk to me about this shit at ALL since i posted that double standard vid.

the_idle_threat
04-15-2007, 01:30 AM
I guess im just an idiot, no one wants to talk to me about this shit at ALL since i posted that double standard vid.

Be careful what you wish for, kiddo. :wink: People aren't talking to each other in this thread so much as talking past each other.

Vid? I missed that, btw.

MadtownPacker
04-15-2007, 02:03 AM
This thread sucks.

Mazzin
04-15-2007, 02:22 AM
Yupp....it was a link
watch it

Kiwon
04-15-2007, 08:00 AM
I agree with much of what Whitlock said, although using the word terrorist was a bit much.

I agree that the terrorist part isn't accurate. They use more mafia-style tactics. Intimidation and threats of protests are very effective. It's kind of like nuisance lawsuits. It just easier for the companies to capitulate rather than to fight it out in public.

Anyone remember Jesse Jackson's visit with Ron Wolf after Ray Rhodes got fired? The Packers, the team in the smallest market, became the first team in NFL history with a Black head coach, offensive coordinator, and defensive coordinator. The Packers demonstrated that they were color-blind in their coaching decisions and should have gotten enormous credit for their actions.

But when Rhodes gets canned after a 8-8 record, here comes Jesse Jackson and interjects himself into this situation. Wolf's decision to fire Rhodes had to pass some "fairness" test that only Jackson is allowed to administer.

I respect someone like Jason Whitlock for shining the light on the Right Reverends Jackson and Sharpton. These guys are media darlings and their message of victimhood never goes out of style. IMHO, Jackson and Sharpton are as powerful today as they ever were. Whitlock's the one whose career will take a hit because he took on these two race-hustlers and addressed the self-inflicted problems facing Black Amercia.

Scott Campbell
04-15-2007, 11:49 AM

I replied on page 5.

Merlin
04-15-2007, 11:54 AM

Very simple, in many places in the country, if you say you are a christian your every word is scrutinized, but if you say you are Islamic, they bow to your every command. That's a sad reality...

Merlin
04-15-2007, 11:57 AM

I completely understand what you are saying. However, the one side wasn't enslaved by this country for a few hundred years. Please, NEVER lose sight of that. Yes, the current generation isn't responsible for that. It wasn't but 50 years ago that this country was segragated. I'm in no way a bleeding heart liberal because I almost always vote conservative but I'll never discount the lingering effects of the blatent, unjust, disgusting way American citizens were treated for hundreds of years.

How long ago was slavery? My family wasn't even in this country back then. MOST blacks can't even trace their ancestry back to then let alone to Africa. That was then, this is now. It's time to move on (Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farakan, etc.). The point is, these people make it impossible to move on...

Merlin
04-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Face it, we live in a society of sensationalism. Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame, why I have no idea. Slavery is against the law, discriminating against someone because of their race is against the law, it's time to move on. Affirmative action needs to go because it violates the law. The best person should get the job regardless of anything. I don't care if they are purple, from the planet mars, like to have sex with squirrels and worship taco's as their god. If they can do the job, then they get the job. Just don't go telling us about your sex life , your religion or your politics while you are on the job.

Don't ask don't tell, that is the best way to keep everyone happy.

falco
04-15-2007, 01:25 PM

Very simple, in many places in the country, if you say you are a christian your every word is scrutinized, but if you say you are Islamic, they bow to your every command. That's a sad reality...

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Joemailman
04-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Yep, ever since 9/11, all my former Christian friends claim to be Muslim because they know they'll be treated better. In fact, they're tearing down the Catholic church I was going to to make room for a mosque.

Rastak
04-19-2007, 08:07 PM

How long ago was slavery? My family wasn't even in this country back then. MOST blacks can't even trace their ancestry back to then let alone to Africa. That was then, this is now. It's time to move on (Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farakan, etc.). The point is, these people make it impossible to move on...

I think of Confucious time as long ago........150 years ain't shit.

Merlin
04-22-2007, 09:33 PM

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I guess you live in a glass house then...

Kiwon
08-20-2007, 05:09 AM
Bump

Imus gets paid $20 million to settle his suit with CBS.

America is the greatest country on earth. If Imus knew that three words ("nappy-headed hos") were so valuable he'd have said them long ago.

Easiest money he's ever made.

And how 'bout the braintrust at CBS. They are paying Katie Couric $15 million for CBS Evening News' lowest ratings ever and then breach Imus' contract by firing him and then settling for $20 million.

And I thought the yeh-hoos in America's heartland were supposed to be the dumb ones.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070814/people_nm/imus_cbs_dc_7

Partial
08-20-2007, 01:23 PM

I think of Confucious time as long ago........150 years ain't shit.

I do tend to agree that it is time to move on. There is racism going both ways today. There always will be.

There have been slaves all over the world at that time. It is just a sad reality of how the world unfolded. It's not like our parents grandparents were involved in slavery. It is time everyone gets over this.

People today use slavery and previous prejudice as an excuse to make themselves and get themselves ahead in the world. This is absolutely living the stereotype and leads to more racism. It is time that everyone starts defining themselves and making their own fortune based on their own actions. Not on what happened hundreds of years ago.