PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Tight End

Brando19
04-10-2007, 10:03 AM
From Foxsports:
A college basketball player who might have a future as an NFL tight end has caught the eye of the Green Bay Packers. The Packers last week sent a scout to the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse to work out basketball player Joe Werner. The 6-foot-6½ and 250-pound Werner has not played football since his sophomore year at McDonell High School in Chippewa Falls. He enrolled in college with no intention of playing sports but showed up for an open tryout for basketball. By the time his career ended this past season, he was the WIAC player of the year and a Division III all-America second-team selection. "He's never going to take his basketball game to the NBA," UW-La Crosse coach Ken Koebl said, "but he's a real strong, physical kid, and so many people who know him say he looks like a tight end. It's possible he could be a good one if he ever worked at it."

bigcoz75
04-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah saw that last week. Could be an interesting UDFA NFLE type project. Good workout too.
http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2007/04/05/sports/1sports5.txt
Joe Werner never caught a pass from John Schumann or threw a block for Corey Geldernick during his UW-La Crosse athletic career.

Werner was more focused on basketball, and he did exceptionally well at it.

The 6-foot-7, 255-pound forward this season was named WIAC Player of the Year and NCAA Division III fourth-team All-America after leading the Eagles with 16.7 points and 9.7 rebounds per game.

But football could be in Werner’s future. A scout from the Green Bay Packers visited campus on Wednesday after an invitation from UW-L men’s basketball coach Ken Koelbl.

“I contacted them and said I thought Joe might be somebody to take a look at,” Koelbl said. “Joe’s got a physical side of him and he could be a pretty good tight end in football and Joe had some interest in that.”

Werner was put through a workout and interview process much like the one used at the NFL combine, including a timed

40-yard dash, vertical leap, broad jump and agility drills, plus pass routes. Werner also took the notorious Wonderlic personality test during the 3½-hour session.

“The scout said Joe tested pretty well today,” Koelbl said. “It’s neat that he got the opportunity.”

Koelbl said Werner’s workout results were comparable to those posted by Division I prospects during the NFL combine. For example, the top vertical leap mark according to nfl.com is 37½ inches and Werner reached 36 inches. Werner also ran 4.7 seconds in the 40, which is a better time than many of the top prospects.

Still, Werner hasn’t played football since his sophomore year at Chippewa Falls (Wis.) McDonell High School.

“Joe tested pretty well but of course he’s got a lot to learn from a football standpoint,” Koelbl said. “The Packers couldn’t watch tape of Joe because they don’t have any. It’s just neat that he got the opportunity.”

Koelbl said there was no indication the Packers would consider taking Werner in the NFL Draft later this month or signing him as a free agent.

LL2
04-10-2007, 10:43 AM
He could be one of the dozen undrafted FA they sign after the draft. He would be one tall TE at 6’6”! He would be a hard target to miss.

GoPackGo
04-10-2007, 11:04 AM
He would get knocked on his ass in the NFL. Not to mention he may not be able to catch a pass from Brett Favre

MadScientist
04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
From the Packersnews.com article he only did 10 reps on the 225 lb bench press. I think he needs to get a bit stronger to handle NFL DE's and LB's. Still worth a UFA contract and possibly a year on the practice squad if he shows anything at all in training camp.

Merlin
04-10-2007, 11:42 AM
I know this kid, he went to the same high school as me. He was a few years ahead of my kid. He is an exceptional athlete. To bad he didn't suit up in the 1908's when McDonell was a pure passing team, every down, he would have probably had a lot of offers to play in college. McDonell doesn't pass much anymore accept in desperation time. It's too bad, they have a lot of players that are in the national high school record books for passing.

Don't knock and athlete because he doesn't play college ball. For how much people knocked Billy Shroeder (sp?), a track star, the guy had speed and there were times he showed that he had skill. Without Favre though, he wasn't much.

He's a big kid and his whole family is talented. You never know what you might find out there. It's worth it to take a look and give him some time either with the practice squad or NFLE.

swede
04-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I kiddingly suggested a while back that the Packers should advertise for college basketball players of the right physical dimensions and try-out 100 of them looking for their next tight end.

Someone needs to start a training facility for college power forwards who won't make the NBA but who are athletic enough to give football another shot.

As for 10 reps at 225...that is not much if you're slow, but it is a good place to start if you run a 4.5 40 and have good hands.

Chester Marcol
04-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Seems to be a common thing. I heard it on the Half Ass Morning Show in the Twin Cities that the Vikings were entertaining college basketball players for TE. Here's a story on it (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=628) if interested. Last paragraph.

Partial
04-10-2007, 02:16 PM
That is phenominal size. And I still maintain that if you want the ultimate athlete you look at soccer and basketball players.

I'd be curious to see how fast he is. In D3 I suspect he played the power forward spot so he may not be exceptionally fast as compared to a small forward, etc.

But, there is more to it than that. Bring him in; it can't hurt.

oregonpackfan
04-10-2007, 02:36 PM
This kid would be a project spelled with a capital "P." I don't mean to dismiss him completely but not playing football since his sophomore year of high school means he would have a huge learning curve.

oregonpackfan
04-10-2007, 02:38 PM
That is phenominal size. And I still maintain that if you want the ultimate athlete you look at soccer and basketball players.

I'd be curious to see how fast he is. In D3 I suspect he played the power forward spot so he may not be exceptionally fast as compared to a small forward, etc.

Partial,

If you are looking at a tight end with phenomenal size and proven hands look no further than Oregon State's Joe Newton. He is 6'7" and 255 lbs.

He is especially adept at getting open in the end zone from inside the 20 yard line and catching TD's like Bubba Franks used to be able to do.

Brando19
04-10-2007, 02:44 PM

Partial,

If you are looking at a tight end with phenomenal size and proven hands look no further than Oregon State's Joe Newton. He is 6'7" and 255 lbs.

He is especially adept at getting open in the end zone from inside the 20 yard line and catching TD's like Bubba Franks used to be able to do.

I'm not too familiar with him. Is he entering the draft?

Partial
04-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Yep, Newton is expected to be a 3rd round pick. He's a good player. I'd like him in G&G

packinpatland
04-10-2007, 02:46 PM
When you look at most NFL receivers after several long yardage plays, they look 'winded'
Look at soccer players, having to run the length of the field, back and forth, sideways..............talk about endurance.

Having not played either sport, this is just conjecture on my part. :lol:

packrulz
04-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Posted April 10, 2007

Packers take a look at UW-La Crosse hoops player

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Though it's unlikely he's the next Antonio Gates or Marcus Pollard, a college basketball player who might have a future as an NFL tight end has caught the eye of the Green Bay Packers.

The Packers last week sent a scout to the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse to work out basketball player Joe Werner.

The 6-foot-6½ and 250-pound Werner has not played football since his sophomore year at McDonell High School in Chippewa Falls. He enrolled in college with no intention of playing sports but showed up for an open tryout for basketball. By the time his career ended this past season, he was the WIAC player of the year and a Division III all-America second-team selection.

"He's never going to take his basketball game to the NBA," UW-La Crosse coach Ken Koebl said, "but he's a real strong, physical kid, and so many people who know him say he looks like a tight end. It's possible he could be a good one if he ever worked at it."

So Koebl called John Dorsey, the Packers' director of college scouting, and the Packers were intrigued enough to send one of their scouts, Shaun Herock, to La Crosse.

NFL teams long have searched non-traditional places for players. Gates, an All-Pro tight end for the San Diego Chargers, played only basketball at Kent State. Pollard, a 12-year veteran tight end, played only basketball at Bradley.

Koebl said the Packers didn't make him any promises but indicated they might be interested in taking a longer look at Werner. One option would be to invite Werner to postdraft minicamp as a tryout player.

"They said they'd have to wait and see how everything unfolds," Koebl said, "but they said that might be an option."

Koebl said Werner ran the 40-yard dash in 4.7 seconds, had a vertical jump of 36 inches and a broad jump of 10 feet, 3 inches but did only 10 reps in the 225-pound bench press.

"I asked them, 'was it at least worth coming over?'" Koebl said, "and they said, 'yes.'"

Schedule update: There has been no word on when the 2007 NFL regular-season schedule will be released but indications are it could be this week, perhaps as soon as Wednesday.

The Shadow
04-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Oh.
I thought this was about Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Guiness
04-10-2007, 05:13 PM
When you look at most NFL receivers after several long yardage plays, they look 'winded'
Look at soccer players, having to run the length of the field, back and forth, sideways..............talk about endurance.

I've heard this many times - about soccer, rugby, etc. I had a soccer playing friend who would laugh when they showed kick returners getting oxygen after a long runback.

The comparison doesn't quite work. Football players are more sprinters, expending maximum energy in short bursts, going 100% on every play. Soccer players do a lot of jogging, walking and standing around during the game, interspersed with short bursts.

the_idle_threat
04-10-2007, 05:32 PM
His 40 time is impressive considering that he probably hasn't worked on it for the past year like some guys do when they know they are headed to the combine.

Joemailman
04-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Oh.
I thought this was about Jennifer Love Hewitt.

I'm surprised Michele or 007 haven't been in here looking for Brett. :D

Partial
04-10-2007, 10:44 PM
His 40 time is impressive considering that he probably hasn't worked on it for the past year like some guys do when they know they are headed to the combine.

Damn right. Spend two months doing that and you can knock .1 or .2 off.

Partial
04-10-2007, 10:46 PM

I've heard this many times - about soccer, rugby, etc. I had a soccer playing friend who would laugh when they showed kick returners getting oxygen after a long runback.

The comparison doesn't quite work. Football players are more sprinters, expending maximum energy in short bursts, going 100% on every play. Soccer players do a lot of jogging, walking and standing around during the game, interspersed with short bursts.

Lleyton Hewitt makes them all look like a bunch of sallies. Olympic sprinter speed and one of the best tennis players in the world. Tennis may not seem exhausting but in 120 degree weather on a clay court for 5 hours is damn exhausting. Those guys have got some nads, that is for sure.

HarveyWallbangers
04-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Don't knock and athlete because he doesn't play college ball. For how much people knocked Billy Shroeder (sp?), a track star, the guy had speed and there were times he showed that he had skill. Without Favre though, he wasn't much.

Schroeder played college football--just at a lower level. He was really good at that level too.

Merlin
04-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Yup he sure did. But he was known more for his track skills. He played @ UW-L just like Werner.