PDA

View Full Version : Henry & Jones suspended

Sparkey
04-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Pacman suspended for season; Henry gets eight games

April 10, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- The NFL has suspended Adam "Pacman" Jones for all of the 2007 season and Chris Henry received an eight-game suspension -- both for numerous violations of the NFL's personal conduct policy.

"It is a privilege to represent the NFL, not a right," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement announcing the suspensions. "These players and all members of our league have to make the right choices and decisions in their conduct on a consistent basis."

Jones' off-field conduct has included 10 incidents where he was interviewed by police. The most recent took place in Las Vegas during the NBA All-Star weekend. Las Vegas police have recommended felony and misdemeanor charges against Jones after a fight and shooting at a strip club that paralyzed one man.

Henry was arrested four times in a 14-month span, resulting in two benchings by coach Marvin Lewis and a two-game league suspension. He was one of nine Bengals arrested in nine months.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

MadScientist
04-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Wow, some real penalties. The commissioner has a set. Let's hope it makes at least a few players think twice before doing something stupid.

Since he took out "Packman", should we call him Riger "The Ghost" Goodell?

Brando19
04-10-2007, 01:28 PM
I think Pacman should have been terminated for life. Anyone else would have lost their jobs...why's he any different? Stupid ruling.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-10-2007, 01:39 PM
I think Pacman should have been terminated for life. Anyone else would have lost their jobs...why's he any different? Stupid ruling.

Terminated for life? That is just asinine. He didn't kill anybody.

You can lose your job, but that doesn't mean that another company wouldn't hire you. If the Titans fired him, another team/company should have the right to hire/fire him.

CaliforniaCheez
04-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Pacman has lost
1) a year of income.
2) a year toward free agency
3) a year of retirement benefits

Henry lost only pay for 8 games.

Brando19
04-10-2007, 01:48 PM

You can lose your job, but that doesn't mean that another company wouldn't hire you. If the Titans fired him, another team/company should have the right to hire/fire him.

In regards to the death at the nightclub...didn't Pacman tell his bodyguard to "smoke him?"

Lurker64
04-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Since he took out "Packman", should we call him Riger "The Ghost" Goodell?

The Pac-Man ghosts had names you know...

I know I'd be afraid of Roger "Clyde" Goodell.

LL2
04-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Pacman has lost

3) a year of retirement benefits

The NFL players of today need retirement benefits. Give me a fraction of what the majority of these players make and I wouldn't need my 401k.

Partial
04-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Don't be so sure of that. I reckon a lot of these guys are paying extremely high health insurance once they are done playing and probably have to have a lot of surgeries. Taking that many hits cannot be good on the body.

gbpackfan
04-10-2007, 04:20 PM
1 year! Wow. That sends a message.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-10-2007, 05:31 PM

In regards to the death at the nightclub...didn't Pacman tell his bodyguard to "smoke him?"

That still doesn't make your point.

Inmates that get released from prison are allowed to get jobs. Are you advocating that once you commit a crime you should never work again? That is just asinine.

the_idle_threat
04-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Professions ban people from further employment all the time, even if they're not convicted of anything.

The securities industry bans people for life for securities-related infractions. Lawyers can be disbarred and doctors can lose their license to practice medicine.

Given that the NFL is all about image and entertainment, they would be perfectly within their rights to ban players from the league for life if a player will tarnish their image and possibly alienate fans.

Your point about never working again is ridiculous, because a ban from the NFL will not prevent a guy from getting work in another industry, or for that matter in the CFL. Nobody is entitled to a job in the NFL, or to any other job for that matter.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Professions ban people from further employment all the time, even if they're not convicted of anything.

The securities industry bans people for life for securities-related infractions. Lawyers can be disbarred and doctors can lose their license to practice medicine.

Given that the NFL is all about image and entertainment, they would be perfectly within their rights to ban players from the league for life if a player will tarnish their image and possibly alienate fans.

Your point about never working again is ridiculous, because a ban from the NFL will not prevent a guy from getting work in another industry, or for that matter in the CFL. Nobody is entitled to a job in the NFL, or to any other job for that matter.

No, my point is that he shouldn't be terminated for life. I responded to Brando's assertion that he should be terminated for life.

You are correct that in professions there are sanctions. However, in all of those there are few that ban for life. Most allow you to reapply or take corrective measures.

Lawyers/doctors rarely lose their license forever. Doesn't happen. And, lawyers can infact practice in many states with a felony conviction.

ND72
04-10-2007, 06:02 PM
I personally applaude the NFL. My buddy and I have been debating on this today, and he thinks the penalty is way to steep, when I think it's great. You are making millions of dollars...you don't get away with anything just for that reason. Act like a man, and live by the laws.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I personally applaude the NFL. My buddy and I have been debating on this today, and he thinks the penalty is way to steep, when I think it's great. You are making millions of dollars...you don't get away with anything just for that reason. Act like a man, and live by the laws.

I agree. I'm enjoying the change from Tags...to much of a lawyer.

I think both suspensions were reasonable.

the_idle_threat
04-10-2007, 06:44 PM

No, my point is that he shouldn't be terminated for life. I responded to Brando's assertion that he should be terminated for life.

You are correct that in professions there are sanctions. However, in all of those there are few that ban for life. Most allow you to reapply or take corrective measures.

Lawyers/doctors rarely lose their license forever. Doesn't happen. And, lawyers can infact practice in many states with a felony conviction.

Yes ... you're right. I wasn't addressing your point, but rather your ridiculous strawman argument. Yes ... thanks for clearing that up.

Brando19
04-10-2007, 07:39 PM

That still doesn't make your point.

Inmates that get released from prison are allowed to get jobs. Are you advocating that once you commit a crime you should never work again? That is just asinine.

It does make my point. He should be terminated...from the NFL!!! If an inmate is released...do you think he'll go back to the job he was at before? Very unlikely. It's a priviledge for a man to play in the NFL. Pacman doesn't seem to realize it, as he's had a run in with the law 10 times!!!! I think this so called thug should get a real job and see how it's like to earn a living like you and me instead of getting a $10 million paycheck. He's burned his bridges. And then on a recent interview with Deion Sanders..he plays the racist card. Oh it's because I'm black. Whatever. He's not man enough to stand up like a man and admit he was wrong. Therefore, he shouldn't be allowed to play another down in the NFL. Sirius NFL Radio was talking earlier that they think it may be hard for him to get reinstated back into the NFL. Good! Oh boohoo...I feel so sorry for him...he has to sat out a year without pay...oh will he make it??? I don't think I could survive a year on a couple million!!! That's my point!

Scott Campbell
04-10-2007, 07:57 PM
I think it was a very good move by the NFL. It's severe enough to deter future bad behavior. It's not severe enough to alienate the players union.

All in all, a good balance.

Brando19
04-10-2007, 08:11 PM
I heard Pacman is meeting with his attorneys, he wants to try to get a less severe punishment.

Scott Campbell
04-10-2007, 08:15 PM
I heard Pacman is meeting with his attorneys, he wants to try to get a less severe punishment.

He might have more luck with a therapist.

retailguy
04-10-2007, 08:15 PM

good luck with that... Maybe he should get the CFL on speed dial.

Brando19
04-10-2007, 08:24 PM

He might have more luck with a therapist.

:lol:

BooHoo
04-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Good. We need some management of problem players. One year though seems a little light but maybe it will send a message.

Joemailman
04-10-2007, 10:31 PM
NFL strengthens personal conduct policy Click here to find out more!

(April 10, 2007) -- The NFL announced changes to its long-standing personal conduct policy and programs for players, coaches, and other team and league employees.

The modifications focus on expanded educational and support programs in addition to increased levels of discipline for violations of the policy, Commissioner Roger Goodell said.

"It is important that the NFL be represented consistently by outstanding people as well as great football players, coaches, and staff," Commissioner Goodell said. "We hold ourselves to higher standards of responsible conduct because of what it means to be part of the National Football League. We have long had policies and programs designed to encourage responsible behavior, and this policy is a further step in ensuring that everyone who is part of the NFL meets that standard. We will continue to review the policy and modify it as warranted."

Added NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw: "The NFL Players Association and the Player Advisory Council have been discussing this issue for several months. We believe that these are steps that the commissioner needs to take and we support the policy. It is important that players in violation of the policy will have the opportunity and the support to change their conduct and earn their way back."

Education

* The annual rookie symposium of all drafted players will be expanded to include mandatory year-round rookie orientation by all clubs that will reinforce the information presented at the June symposium.

* An expanded annual life-skills program for all players and clubs will be mandatory.

* There will be mandatory briefings each year for all players and clubs given by local law enforcement representatives. These briefings will cover laws pertaining to possession of guns, drinking and driving, domestic disputes and other matters, including gang-related activities in the community that could be of significance to players, coaches, and other club-related personnel.

* Every club will be required to implement a program for employees to enhance compliance with laws relating to drinking and driving.

* Counseling and treatment programs for all club and league employees that violate the policy will be expanded.

Discipline

* The standard of socially responsible conduct for NFL employees will be higher. Club and league employees will be held to a higher standard than players. Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL will be subject to discipline, even if not criminal in nature.

* Discipline for individuals that violate the policy will include larger fines and longer suspensions.

* Repeat violations of the personal conduct policy will be dealt with aggressively, including discipline for repeat offenders even when the conduct itself has not yet resulted in a conviction of a crime.

* Individuals suspended under the policy must earn their way back to active status by fully complying with professional counseling and treatment that will include evaluation on a regular basis.

* Clubs will be subject to discipline in cases involving violations of the Personal Conduct Policy by club employees. In determining potential club discipline going forward, the commissioner will consider all relevant factors, including the history of conduct-related violations by that club's employees and the extent to which the club's support programs are consistent with best practices as identified and shared with the clubs. Recommended best practices include having a full-time club player development director and a full-time club security director.

Sounds like the league is going to get tough on everybody, including the teams that employ problem players. It will be interesting to see what effect this has on the draft fortunes of college players who have had off the field, or on the field incidents.

MJZiggy
04-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Nice find, Joe. Do you have a link?

Guiness
04-11-2007, 06:04 AM
A year is a long time, and a substantial hit. Imagine being without a salary for an entire year! Not light punishment at all. Especially considering he hasn't been convicted of anything yet (has he?).

I can see the league moving towards 'lifetime bans'. They wouldn't really be lifetime, of course. A player would be eligible to re-apply after a period of time, and would get re-instated if they'd been good - a la Olympics.

Joemailman
04-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Nice find, Joe. Do you have a link?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10119182

BallHawk
05-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Pacman just doesn't get it, does he?

From ESPN....

On the eve of his appeal to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Adam "Pacman" Jones probably should avoid what he did the last time he was in New York for the meeting that led to his one-year suspension.

Jones went to a strip club, sources close to the league, the NFL Players Association and Jones have confirmed.

The night before his April 3 meeting with Goodell to talk about his off-field conduct, Jones made a late-night trip to an adult New York club. Jones was spotted inside the club shortly after he had a face-to-face meeting with two leading veteran players, Takeo Spikes and Troy Vincent, who traveled to New York to urge Jones to clean up his act.

When the Goodell and Jones met the next day, the commissioner already was made aware of Jones' late-night excursion because security from the strip club tipped off NFL security.

Rather than directly confront Jones, the commissioner gave him a test, sources said.

According to these sources, Goodell asked Jones what he was doing to help himself to change his lifestyle. Jones gave a lot of the right answers, such as volunteering that he was going to avoid the nightclub scene.

The commissioner asked him if the self-imposed ban included strip clubs. Jones said yes.

Goodell then asked Jones the last time he had visited a strip club.

Jones became a bit fidgety, perhaps suspicious that the commissioner was on to him, before he answered, "A day ago," sources said.

Technically, Jones told the truth, even though his actual timeline was less than 24 hours by the moment he met with Goodell.

Nobody but Goodell knows for sure how it factored in his decision to suspend Jones for the 2007 season.

Friday's appeal will be a more formal hearing in which Jones' legal representatives will present a list of 283 NFL players who have had off-field issues or encounters without being suspended for an entire season. In other words, they will attempt to show there was no recent precedent for Goodell's harsh decision.

The problem for Jones is that his case is appealed to the commissioner -- the same person who made the decision to suspend him for the 2007 season for conduct detrimental to the league on numerous occasions. Jones' off-field conduct has included 10 incidents for which he was interviewed by police; the most recent took place in Las Vegas during the NBA All-Star Weekend.

Even with a spirit of cooperation between the NFLPA and Goodell on the issue of player conduct, the goal of having the new policy drafted into the collective bargaining agreement hit a wall.

Gene Upshaw, executive dirtector of the NFLPA, refused to adopt the new conduct policy into the CBA unless suspensions of one year or longer could be appealed to an independent arbitrator. The commissioner refused, citing the proposal as a last-minute ambush by the union, sources said.

Goodell certainly will cite that his suspension of Jones includes the ability for Jones to be reinstated after the 10th game if he stays out of trouble and is cleared of pending cases in Las Vegas and Atlanta.

If Goodell lets his original decision stand, there are legal scholars -- some of whom have lofty positions in other professional sports leagues -- who believe Jones might have a case if he seeks a remedy through federal courts.[/b]

MJZiggy
05-10-2007, 02:50 PM
The idea that this would go to Federal court makes me a bit queasy. Does the league not have the right to set conduct codes for their employees? Do the Federal courts not have better things to do than listen to the sniveling of a boy-man who would have long been permanently tossed from any other profession? What a waste.

BallHawk
05-10-2007, 03:18 PM
The idea that this would go to Federal court makes me a bit queasy. Does the league not have the right to set conduct codes for their employees? Do the Federal courts not have better things to do than listen to the sniveling of a boy-man who would have long been permanently tossed from any other profession? What a waste.

Yeah, it's pretty sad.

I wonder if Pacman really believes that his actions don't warrant this suspension?