PDA

View Full Version : Packer Draft Needs: Offense

ND72
04-10-2007, 11:00 PM
2007 Packer Draft Needs List: Offense (ND72)

QB: Current Players – Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Ingle Martin
Quarterback seems to be one position in this draft that the Packers really don’t have to look at until maybe a 7th round pick if any. Favre comes back for another year in his Hall of Fame career. Rodgers will have another year of clipboard and learning. In all honesty, Rodgers might not enjoy sitting, but it will only help him, and prolong his career. Martin is very athletic, and the Packers really seem to like him. He needs to keep improving and learning if he intends to stay with the team.
Possible picks: Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Jordan Palmer, Tyler Palko

RB: Current Players – Vernand Morency, Noah Herron, Arliss Beach, P.J. Pope
Definitely an area of need right now for the Packers. Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy, and staff might say one thing, but behind closed door you know there has to be a sense of need at that position. Morency showed he has the ability to carry the ball, and be explosive in the new zone scheme. However, he might not have the stator to withstand a full workload. If he is paired with someone else, he could be very dangerous. Noah Herron is a 3rd down back at best, and don’t be surprised if they play Noah at some FB, where he took snaps at last training camp. Arliss Beach is a team favorite and could get a look during training camp to get some playing time next season.
Possible picks: Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Antonio Pittman, Brandon Jackson, Michael Bush, Kenny Irons, Tony Hunt, Darius Walker, Lorenzo Booker, Chris Henry

FB: Current Players – Brandon Miree
If HB is concern 1, FB should be Concern 1A. Brandon Miree did alright in his limited time so far, but can’t stay healthy. Packers could look very early to fill the need at FB as well as HB if Brian Leonard is still around come the 2nd round. Fullbacks isn’t usually an area that is drafted a lot, so don’t be surprised if Green Bay looks to add the top FB from undrafted free agents.
Possible Picks: Brian Leonard, Cory Anderson, Le’Ron McClain, Jason Snelling, Deon Anderson

WR: Current Players – Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Ruvell Martin, Robert Ferguson, Carlyle Holiday, Chris Francies, Calvin Russell, Carlton Brewster, Shaun Bodiford, Koren Robinson(suspension)
Driver showed more than ever his level of talent in the NFL last season. Jennings is definitely an up-and-comer with signs of a lot of talent, and a solid #2, if not someday a #1 WR. Ruvell Martin showed signs of potential, as well as a big body to throw to. Ferguson was injured, again. Carlyle Holiday showed he could catch some passes, as well as Chris Francies. In all honestly though, Holiday, Francies, Russell, Brewster, Bodiford, are guys that should not make an NFL roster, unless they are special teamers, or a 5th WR. Koren Robinson could provide a very solid target and weapon if he is reinstated to the NFL. Obviously an area that needs to be addressed if not once, maybe twice in the draft.
Possible picks: Ted Ginn Jr., Dwayne Jarrett, Dwayne Bowe, Sidney Rice, Robert Meachem, Anthony Gonzalez, Craig Davis, Aundrae Allison, Steve Smith, Courtney Taylor, Paul Williams, Rhema McKnight, Jason Hill, Dallas Baker, Jacoby Jones, Steve Breaston, David Ball, Jarrett Hicks, Brandon Myles, Jayson Swain, Ryan Moore

TE: Current Players – Bubba Franks, Donald Lee, Tory Humphrey, Zac Alcorn
This is an interesting situation. The better the Packers Offensive Line can become, the better the TE’s should become this year, because they won’t have to stay in to help block as much. Some of the blame has to be on Coach McCarthy as well, as Franks was thrown ZERO passes inside the 5 yard line last season. If Lee can return to what he showed in 2005, he could be a help to the team as well. Both Humphrey and Alcorn showed some promise during the pre-season last year.
Possible picks: Greg Olsen, Zach Miller, Scott Chandler, Matt Spaeth, Ben Patrick, Martrez Milner, Michael Allan, Tyler Ecker

OT: Current Players – Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Tony Moll, Kevin Barry, Josh Bourke, Orrin Thompson
Clifton and Tauscher are as solid a LT/RT duo in the league. The biggest problem is neither one is young anymore, and injuries proved to become an issue last season for Tauscher, and was probably the least injured Clifton had been in a long time. Moll showed he can play, but would have a long ways to go in order to become a starter in the NFL. Barry probably won’t be on the team come 2007, as his weight and speed don’t match the quicker zone scheme requires. Packers should at some point look into drafting a pure OT to start to learn and develop as a possible future starter.
Possible picks: Joe Staley, Justin Blalock, Tony Ugoh, Doug Free, Ryan Harris, James Marten, Brandon Frye, Corey Hilliard, Steve Vallos, Stephon Heyer, Julius Wilson, Herbert Taylor, Mike Otto

OG: Current Players – Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz, Adam Stenavich, Tony Palmer, Junius Coston, Travis Leffew
Packers have definitely found their future at Guard in Colledge and Spitz. After struggling in the pre-season, College came in game 2, and never looked back. He was very solid throughout the year in both run blocking and pass blocking. Spitz started hot, but as the season went on, and a few nagging injuries surfaced, his production got lower and lower. College is more of a finesse player, while Spitz is more of a mauler, which can be a very good combination. After that, the Packers are pretty thin. They need to decide if Moll is a Tackle, or if he’s a Guard, and then keep him there and let him grow. Packers could definitely look into taking at least 1 Guard for depth, and competition.
Possible Picks: Ben Grubbs, Arron Sears, Josh Beekman, Marshal Yanda, Manuel Ramirez, Tim Duckworth, Mansfield Wrotto, Dan Santucci, Mike Jones, Kasey Studdard, Kurt Quarterman, T.J. Downing

OC: Current Players – Scott Wells
The good news is Scott Wells is a very solid Center. The bad news is, there isn’t much depth if he got injured. Jason Spitz, Tony Palmer, and Junius Coston would probably be the next option. Drafting a Center wouldn’t be the worst ideas for depth.
Possible picks: Ryan Kalil, Samson Satele, Doug Datish, Dustin Fry, Leroy Harris, Dan Mozes, Drew Mormino, Darnell Stapleton, Lyle Sendlein[/b]

Brando19
04-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Very good read. Thanks, ND! I'd love to see the Pack draft USC's center Ryan Kalil, but I doubt he'll be there in the 2nd round.

ND72
04-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Very good read. Thanks, ND! I'd love to see the Pack draft USC's center Ryan Kalil, but I doubt he'll be there in the 2nd round.

I donno where Kalil would play...cause he won't move Wells out. Wells will be a pro bowler someday, and is perfect for our system. So Kalil would have to beat out one of our guards then.

MJZiggy
04-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Nice piece, ND, That's the kind of summary I was hoping someone would do.

wist43
04-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Of course I hate the ZBS, I hate small linemen, and I hate the overall philosophy the Packers employ; so I admit I'm highly biased in this area.

That said, I've got to say that I was very disappointed in Wells last year... I was hoping that he'd put on weight and get stronger, but he appears to have maxed out - he's just too small to ever be anything more than just a guy.

He'll never be able to consistently handle a NT/DT straight up... he needs immediate help off of the snap or tends to get blown back into the backfield.

Brando19
04-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Of course I hate the ZBS, I hate small linemen, and I hate the overall philosophy the Packers employ; so I admit I'm highly biased in this area.

That said, I've got to say that I was very disappointed in Wells last year... I was hoping that he'd put on weight and get stronger, but he appears to have maxed out - he's just too small to ever be anything more than just a guy.

He'll never be able to consistently handle a NT/DT straight up... he needs immediate help off of the snap or tends to get blown back into the backfield.

Agreed...Wells is an alright center, but he's not got the size or strength. We need an impressive backup or someone to compete with him.

CaliforniaCheez
04-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Just the Offense

FB and Center(can Long Snap?) are spots that will likely be addressed day 2.

At RB a replacement for Green is needed and an upgrade over Herron.

If a WR is drafted he will likely be an experienced returner.

There are many good OT's in the second and third round of this draft who may be taken as the Best player available.

I like Donald Lee(a 5th round pick) getting more playing time. I'm not sure a TE will be drafted unless it is an upgrade over Humphrey.

Frankly, almost all the picks could be used on offense.

ND72
04-11-2007, 10:33 AM

Completely disagree. He should not put on weight. in their current scheme he is not responsible for an individual man. if they are playing a 3-4 with a nose, or if there is a nose in a certain 4-3 set, he and a guard are responsible for that man, he will NEVER have to block a person alone. At Fan Fest I talked to Philbin for a while about the zone blocking, and if he graded the guys out, and he told me that Wells graded out at 98% successful blocks, while the next guy, Clifton graded out at 85% of successful blocks. Wells is the pro-typical body and player for this system. You won't find a more perfect fit for what they do.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-11-2007, 10:43 AM
I still don't understand why everyone continues to bad mouth Wells. Yes he is small and undersized, but what he lacks there he makes up for in football talent, leadership(not yet see UT), quickness, and agility.

I'm guessing noone on here had the luxury of ever even seeing him in college since he wasn't playing for Wisconsin or the Big 10 :lol: , but he was a leader of the offensive line there and a starter for years, not to mention a bright kid and good motivator. We were lucky to land Wells in the 7th.

BlueBrewer
04-11-2007, 10:58 AM

You should just quit watching the Packers or get some therapy.

wist43
04-11-2007, 10:59 AM
I agree that given the system, Wells isn't really asked to handle a DT/NT on his own, so the fact that he doesn't have any sand in his bucket, isn't as big an issue.

That combined with the fact that he is very mobile for a Center, and is pretty good in space, makes him a good ZBS Center.

That doesn't mean I have to like it... I hate finesse football - always have; however, I realize this is our system, and I'm having to readjust how I evaluate OL.

When looking at OL for the upcoming draft, I don't even look at the bruisers... If the description of a player reads, "lacks size and strength, but is very mobile"... that's our guy. Just doesn't seem right to me.

wist43
04-11-2007, 11:01 AM

Luckily I'm a Charger fan as well... good old fashioned power football, great TE. A real pleasure to watch.

I also like to watch Pittsburgh and Jacksonville... power football.

ND72
04-11-2007, 11:57 AM

Luckily I'm a Charger fan as well... good old fashioned power football, great TE. A real pleasure to watch.

Sorry, I have to laugh. San Diego runs a zone running scheme as well. in fact when Norv Turner was their OC, he's the one that brought ZBS to them...and now he's their head coach. Willie Parker is only a zone runner. 90% of his runs, are zone plays.

wist43
04-11-2007, 12:16 PM
SD has an OL that can move guys off the ball - GB doesn't... it's pretty much that simple for me.

Kris Dielman, G, 6' 4", 310 lbs - resigned with SD. Prisco wrote: He's a physical player who won't back down from anyone. He really came on strong in 2006.

GB doesn't have any players on the OL that fit that description.

ND72
04-11-2007, 12:18 PM
And yet, still running a zone "finese" scheme...

wist43
04-11-2007, 12:26 PM
I hit submit b/4 I was done with that last post...

Why do you guys like these "mighty mites" on the OL so much??? I don't get it...

CB playing safety, Safeties playing LB, small OL... it's one thing to emphasize speed and agility, it's quite another to put yourself in a position where a physical team can come in and just beat you up.

LL2
04-11-2007, 08:29 PM

Sorry, I have to laugh. San Diego runs a zone running scheme as well. in fact when Norv Turner was their OC, he's the one that brought ZBS to them...and now he's their head coach. Willie Parker is only a zone runner. 90% of his runs, are zone plays.

Old school (wist) vs New School (ND)

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Kalil will end up in Houston or Arizona imo. Early second round.

ND72
04-11-2007, 09:38 PM
If Bentley is for sure done, then Cleveland could use a guy like Kalil as well.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 09:40 PM
The Bears could tab him also and play him at G until Kreutz is done and than move him back to C.

ND72
04-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Just read that today as well.

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Kalil will end up in Houston or Arizona imo. Early second round.

I could see Kalil sneaking into the first round. The top OC usually does, and he appears to be the top one, and a good one too.

BTW, San Diego's OL, pound for pound, is virtually the same as Green Bay's OL. Cumulatively, their OL weighs 4 more pounds than Green Bay's OL, and that's because McNeill weighs 7 more pounds than Clifton.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Birk is probably playing his last season in Minny so he could go there also.

woodbuck27
04-12-2007, 01:23 PM

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10119448

5. Who's the safest pick in the 2007 draft?

The safest pick in any draft usually comes down to a great running back behind a very good offensive line or an offensive lineman.

This year, I would say the safest pick in the 2007 draft is center Ryan Kalil from USC.

If he goes to a team like Denver with the zone running scheme, he will start early and be very effective. As one O-line coach said, Kalil is a 10-year starter with a couple of Pro Bowls in him. If he struggles early with big nose tackles because he is giving up 30-40 pounds, the scheme can protect him.

If he lasts to the second round, then he wins the safest pick award for sure.

BooHoo
04-12-2007, 06:52 PM
I like Anthony Gonzalez if he is available in the 2nd round.

ND72
04-12-2007, 08:36 PM

The safest pick in any draft usually comes down to a great running back behind a very good offensive line or an offensive lineman.

This year, I would say the safest pick in the 2007 draft is center Ryan Kalil from USC.

If he goes to a team like Denver with the zone running scheme, he will start early and be very effective. As one O-line coach said, Kalil is a 10-year starter with a couple of Pro Bowls in him. If he struggles early with big nose tackles because he is giving up 30-40 pounds, the scheme can protect him.

Do any of you remember GB signing Scott Wells to a long term contract last year? we're NOT drafting a Center that high.

HarveyWallbangers
04-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Did you bother reading the posts? Nobody said that Green Bay was going to draft Kalil.

ND72
04-12-2007, 08:55 PM
no, but they'd want them to. did you read any of the previous posts saying Wells hasnt' cut it? so in truth....they were.

b bulldog
04-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Wells is very solid.

HarveyWallbangers
04-12-2007, 09:15 PM
no, but they'd want them to. did you read any of the previous posts saying Wells hasnt' cut it? so in truth....they were.

The only person who badmouthed Wells is wist, and he disrespects Wells almost as much as he disrespects Barnett. You read it, and you move on. Plus, even he didn't say we should draft Kalil. Everybody else backed Wells up.

ND72
04-12-2007, 10:06 PM
easy killer :wink: :lol: :cry:

wist43
04-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Look, I could live with Wells if he gets stronger and is able to hold his ground better... He is very good in space for a center, and I only expect him to get better in that area.

And as ND pointed out, he isn't really asked to handle anybody one on one. Given what they do, he's fine... I just don't like what they do.

T - minus 3 hours till weeklong golf trip... good medicine. 8-)

Tell ya what... henceforth, I will be impressively optimistic about all things Packer!!! 8,000 holes of golf always cheers me up... :D :D :D :D :D

Brando19
04-13-2007, 11:20 AM

Do any of you remember GB signing Scott Wells to a long term contract last year? we're NOT drafting a Center that high.

ND...I've noticed that you don't respect people's opinions as of late. If someone says....hey....it'd be nice to draft this guy because of this.....you always come back with an answer of....we are NOT drafting this guy. You act like you're the GM, but you're not! You know about as much as the man on the moon in regards to who we're going to draft...as do we all. We're not the GM...so our guess is as good as yours. Let people have opinions and we'll respect yours!