PDA

View Full Version : A likely draft scenario

No Mo Moss
04-27-2006, 06:59 PM
I just am not buying into the Vernon Davis to the Packers talk right now. Unless Mario falls to them I think they take Hawk.

I think Mercedes Lewis in the second would be great. Anyone have good insight on the TE's other than Davis. It sounds like we could still get a very explosive player in rd #2.

Joemailman
04-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Here you go.

EXCLUSIVE ANALYSIS

Dan Pompei
e-mail Dan

Archived columns

Draft Watch: Tight ends
April 12, 2006 Print it

By Dan Pompei
Sporting News

An analytical look at the top tight ends in the 2006 draft:

1. Vernon Davis, Maryland, 6-3, 254. Is one of the best tight end prospects ever. Is a physical freak who had an incredible pre-draft workout for scouts, coaches and GMs. Has rare athleticism. Is fast and explosiveness and very quick. Runs excellent routes. Is smooth in and out of breaks. Causes matchup problems. Shows outstanding ball skills. Is tough, and will fight for the ball. Gets yards after the catch. Can block at the point of attack, but isn't a killer blocker. Shows good balance and quick footwork as a blocker. Works hard. Is a tad shorter than ideal.

2. Joe Klopfenstein, Colorado, 6-5, 255. Is tall with long arms. Is similar to the Ravens' Todd Heap. Goes up and catches passes away from his body. Shows good hands and concentration. Shows good body control, and is athletic. Runs good routes, but is a little deliberate. Can stretch the zone. Runs well, and can gain yardage after the catch. Is strong, but gets manhandled some as a blocker. Is rising up draft boards.

3. Marcedes Lewis, UCLA, 6-6, 261. Is huge, and has long arms. Catches passes nicely. Shows good athleticism and body control. Shows playmaking skills, and was productive in college. Is a good red-zone weapon and target over the middle. Lacks the speed to get open downfield, and lacks the quickness to create separation. Must improve average blocking skills. Has upside. Also played basketball in college.

4. Anthony Fasano, Notre Dame, 6-4, 259. Is a tough, competitive, blue-collar player. Is one of the best blocking tight ends in the draft. Is a good all-around player. Gets movement in the running game. Knows how to get open. Uses hands well to create separation. Catches well. Has average speed. Is a junior. Plays smart. Won't stretch the zone, but is a solid underneath weapon.

5. David Thomas, Texas, 6-3, 252. Lacks ideal size and athleticism, but is a winner and overachiever. Is tough, smart and scrappy. Runs great routes. Has functional speed. Shows excellent hands. Can gain yards after the catch. Is competitive as a blocker. Won't blow anyone off the line of scrimmage, but maintains his balance well. Can be a long snapper. Had a nice pre-draft workout. Has a nice total package.

6. Dominique Byrd, Southern Cal, 6-3, 258. Is quick, and shows good hands. Can make defenders miss and gain yards after the catch. Has decent speed, and turns upfield quickly after the catch. Didn't fulfill expectations in college. Might lack focus. Is just an OK blocker who doesn't put forth great effort. Lacks ideal height, but has long arms to help compensate. Shows questionable commitment and dedication to the game.

7. Leonard Pope, Georgia, 6-8, 258. Is a very tall target with long arms and sure hands. Locates the ball well. Has made some big plays. Can run, but doesn't play especially fast. Had a nice workout at the NFL Combine. Does not separate well from defenders. Does not turn upfield quickly after the catch. Does not sustain blocks in the running game, and needs a lot of work in pass protection.

8. Tony Scheffler, Western Michigan, 6-5, 258. Has good size, and can run and catch. Has a good feel for finding the seams in zones. Is athletic. Must be more physical. Is an average blocker. Is raw, and must develop better technique. Hasn't faced elite competition. Has potential. Stock is on the rise after good pre-draft workouts.

9. Owen Daniels, Wisconsin, 6-3, 250. Is a late riser who was plagued by injuries for much of his career. Is athletic with good hands. Runs nice routes. Can stretch the zone a bit, and shows potential to gain yards after the catch. Is a finesse blocker. Reminds some of the 49ers' Eric Johnson.

10. Tim Massaquoi, Michigan, 6-2, 259. Is a solid, consistent player. Is quick off the snap, and runs nice routes. Shows good receiving skills. Is productive with the ball in his hands. Plays smart. Has a strong lower body, and is a competitive blocker. Is a decent all-around tight end, but doesn't stand out at anything. Didn't have a great workout. Played with a cast on his hand for most of the '05 season.

11. Quinn Sypniewski, Colorado, 6-6, 268. Is huge. Probably is the best blocking tight end in the draft. Pummels defenders. Has long arms. Shows good ball skills. Runs fairly well. Has battled injuries, but was productive when on the field. Has upside. Is a durability concern. Could bulk up and play offensive tackle.

12. Tim Day, Oregon, 6-3, 256. Is athletic with good receiving skills. Runs well, and is a reliable target over the middle. Avoids tacklers fairly well. Has the athleticism to block linebackers and safeties on the second level. Isn't much of a blocker; doesn't drive his legs or move people.

13. Jason Pociask, Wisconsin, 6-2, 268. Is hard-nosed with good blocking skills. Is smart and tough. Shows above-average athleticism. Lacks quickness. Is a little heavy-footed. Catches passes nicely, but doesn't get many yards after the catch. Could be moved to fullback.

14. Garrett Mills, Tulsa, 6-1, 241. Lacks ideal height, but can do the job. Shows good receiving skills, and is an OK runner. Was productive in college. Makes blocks on the move. Played fullback at the Senior Bowl, and could be moved there. Best role might be as an H-back.

15. Charles Davis, Purdue, 6-5, 260. Is a finesse player with good hands. Runs decent routes, and knows how to get open. Isn't explosive. Doesn't get many yards after the catch. Could be more aggressive. Is a former basketball player.

16. Jeff King, Virginia Tech, 6-5, 245. Is solid and consistent. Shows good hands. Isn't real fast, and doesn't have much wiggle or shake. Will battle as a blocker, but gets upright and tossed around some.

17. Erik Gill, Pitt, 6-4, 261. Is big with some blocking ability. Shows pretty good hands. Provides a big target on short and intermediate routes. Is a lumbering runner.

18. Cooper Wallace, Auburn, 6-3, 261. Is an overachiever without a special trait. Plays hard, especially as a blocker. Lacks speed. Needs the ball thrown directly at him. Isn't aggressive as a receiver.

19. Troy Bienemann, Washington State, 6-4, 256. Is a long snapper who could be an NFL team's third tight end. Catches well. Lacks speed. Shows average skills. Sustained a knee injury late in'05 season.

Senior writer Dan Pompei covers the NFL for Sporting News. E-mail him at pompei@sportingnews.com.

Latest News

Two Huskies, three Cougars, EWU quarterback

No Mo Moss
04-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks, that sheds some light. Is this an unusually deep TE pool? Sure seems like it.

ND72
04-27-2006, 07:48 PM
i know i'm a bit biased,...but remember the name Anthony Fasano. the guy just catches footballs. he's not fast, but he's a good blocker, and outstanding hands. he's compared to bubba which is 100% accurate. i really like the guy though.

Joemailman
04-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks, that sheds some light. Is this an unusually deep TE pool? Sure seems like it.

Yes, I have heard that is an outstanding group of Tight Ends. I think Klopfenstein is interesting. One thing these summaries don't show is that his wonderlic score is 33, so he may be able to pick things up pretty quickly. Lewis, by contrast, was a 13.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 08:20 PM
I know nothing about college TE's, but thank you No Mo for spelling 'scenario' correctly in the thread title (that word takes a lot of abuse). :smile:

Joemailman
04-27-2006, 08:22 PM
I thought all the Hottie rats were experts on Tight Ends. :razz:

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 08:24 PM
I like mine more mature than college boys.

Guiness
04-27-2006, 08:45 PM
You've got to think that a lot of teams are thinking of picking up a TE in this draft.

We've got two solid ones, and a third (Cross) coming to camp. I think we're ok, but if one of those guy around 10 was there in the 5th or 6th it wouldn't bother me.

No Mo Moss
04-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Who is this Cross guy?

I think the one thing that Favre needs to be great is the one thing Sherm never gave him. A downfield threat at TE. I love Bubba, but that isn't him. If we can knab a TE who can split the safeties I think you need to think about it.

Guiness
04-28-2006, 01:05 AM
Garett Cross. A teamate of Rodgers in college, actually. Actually went home last year, unsure if he wanted to play, but got his head straightened around, and is back.

Is Sean McHugh still on the roster?

Tarlam!
04-28-2006, 01:11 AM
We have 3 TE's that played well last year and Garrett cross. I think we're set at TE, but VD is probably better than any of our guys. Question is, do we need improvement at TE? I think not.

On NFL.com, they have a video interview of VD. Man, he is NOT your most dynamic speaker. In fact, he was either jet lagged, or plain simple.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 07:22 AM
I'd be shocked if Pope went 7th among TEs. Too many measurables. You don't find 6'7" guys who run 4.6 40s too often. Scheffler is a really nice sleeper. Fasano and Klopfenstein are intriguing prospects, as well.