PDA

View Full Version : Joe Thomas at #2

MadScientist
04-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Many mock drafts have Joe Thomas going at #2 to Detroit. I am curious as to others opinions if an OT worth the #2 overall pick? The OL works together as a unit, so one player is likely to have less impact than at a skill position. At #2 you should have a chance to draft difference maker. Looking at it another way, teams have traded up to grab QB's, RB's, WR's, DE's, but have any traded up to get an OL?

Note this is not meant to be a knock on Joe Thomas in any way, just opening up discussions on draft slots and player positions.

ND72
04-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Franchise LT's protect Franchise QB's.

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2007, 03:41 PM
The problem with OL is that the converse is true also. You can have three good OL, and two guys can screw it up. Look at Green Bay in 2005 and Minnesota last year. Woody and Backus give them two good OL. Thomas would do a lot to get them to a great OL. True, he alone won't do it, but you have to start somewhere.

BallHawk
04-11-2007, 03:48 PM
I think, that ultimately, Joe Thomas will be better than Orlando Pace, who was also drafted at #2. He's got the tools, without doubt.

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2007, 04:09 PM
I think, that ultimately, Joe Thomas will be better than Orlando Pace, who was also drafted at #2. He's got the tools, without doubt.

That might be going a little too far.
:D

Orlando Pace is going to be a Hall of Famer. Not quite as bad as comparing Marshawn Lynch to LT or Mike Hawkins to Deion Sanders, but maybe a tad much.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Settle down Hawk

Fritz
04-11-2007, 05:09 PM
If you had a choice between Peyton Manning and Orlando Pace, who would you take, if your current QB and left tackle were equally journeymen?

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Without question Manning. However, I think Joe Thomas is a much better bet to become "another Orlando Pace" than Brady Quinn is to become "another Peyton Manning". Actually, I think Detroit would be silly to pass on Calvin Johnson if he is there.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I agree 100%

BallHawk
04-11-2007, 06:05 PM

That might be going a little too far.

Orlando Pace is going to be a Hall of Famer. Not quite as bad as comparing Marshawn Lynch to LT or Mike Hawkins to Deion Sanders, but maybe a tad much.

It is a bit extreme, but I don't think that it's out of the question. Pace and Thomas are basically the same size, even though some measurements vary. Joe Thomas can flat out dominate, at times, and completely shut down D-Lineman. The only way I don't see him being a multiple time Pro-Bowler is if he gets injured.

CyclonePackFan
04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Behind the QB, the LT is the most important position on the football field. You don't pass without one, and a good tackle can make a team's running game.

Fritz
04-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I guess I was approaching it from the philosophical question. As it applies to this draft, I agree Detroit would be foolish to trade down or pass on Calvin Johnson if he's there. If the Raiders take him, then odds appear to be that Joe Thomas has a better shot at being an excellent left tackle than Jamarcus Russell does of being an excellent QB.

Merlin
04-11-2007, 07:28 PM
I've said it before, I think Joe Thomas would be worthy of the #2 pick. Detroit has signed some OL so I don't think they are looking to draft one. They could pick a WR, that would be such a pleasant surprise since the hardly take WR's #1 overall. If I were them, I would be looking for a GM and a QB, in that order. Who knows, they could draft a college player and make him GM and he would smarter then Millen right out of the gate~!

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 08:31 PM
CJ,Thomas and peterson are my big three this year.

the_idle_threat
04-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Orlando Pace was drafted #1 overall in 1997 and was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. Joe Thomas is an excellent tackle prospect, but he's not quite in Orlando Pace's class.

Hopefully Thomas is a lot better than Robert Gallery, who went #2 overall in 2004. Gallery was supposed to be a can't-miss guy too. :!:

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Pace,Ogden and Jones are very special T's.

Partial
04-11-2007, 09:47 PM

MadScientist
04-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Sounds like Thomas would be worth the #2 pick, if the team need was there, however most teams would be better off with a skill position player if there was a good enough one for a #2.

Arizona would be a very good match for him (they need a left tackle and have a QB), but I don't expect AZ to trade up to get him.