PDA

View Full Version : Ted Ginn Jr pro day

bigcoz75
04-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Ted Ginn ran three forties in the 4.38-4.42 range at his Pro Day Wednesday, according to Scout.com.

Ginn reportedly ran six routes during pass-catching drills and fell on five of them before the workout was called off. We've confirmed that it's been raining in Columbus, but no other explanation for the slips has been given. Ginn had been struggling with a sprained foot.
http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=4168

1 out of 6 routes completed! Impressive :roll:

TennesseePackerBacker
04-11-2007, 02:59 PM
hmm, that definitely might drop him out of the first, Joe Arrigo was right again :roll:

swede
04-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Tomorrow Ginn hopes to wake up and find that this report was on the Onion's sports page and that what really happened is that he ran a 4.3 40 and showed quickness getting in and out of his cuts as he ran routes while showing soft and sure hands and good feel for the ball.

On the bright side he might slide far enough to become a Patriot, and this might be a good year to do that.

ND72
04-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Sirius Sports Radio with Bill Bellichek..."If it wasn't slippery, Ginn was impressive. He won't be around for us to take in the first round."

Sparkey
04-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Sirius Sports Radio with Bill Bellichek..."If it wasn't slippery, Ginn was impressive. He won't be around for us to take in the first round."

TRANSLATION:

"We hope that someone else reaches with a first round pick and takes Ginn so a quality player falls to us."

LL2
04-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I think he will drop into the second rd. I think most of the mocks will be wrong on him. I'd take him in the second but not the first.

pacfan
04-11-2007, 04:12 PM

future Viking.... :lol:

Brando19
04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I've been saying that Ginn will fall to the 2nd round.

ND72
04-11-2007, 04:46 PM

TRANSLATION:

"We hope that someone else reaches with a first round pick and takes Ginn so a quality player falls to us."

and Ginn isn't a qualtiy player? You're right. blazing speed, soft hands. 2 time all american. scary kick and punt returner. you're right, we wouldn't want anything like that.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 04:52 PM
No chance he falls to round two.

Cheesehead Craig
04-11-2007, 04:53 PM
He'll do individual workouts for teams and have much better days. This pro day will likely be forgotten in the end. He's a first round talent.

Fritz
04-11-2007, 05:07 PM
As long as he's not OUR first round talent. Note to ND: can run only simple routes, was not a factor in the U-M/OSU game, does not go over the middle.Ugh.

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2007, 05:16 PM
As a Buckeye fan, I think it's just flat wrong to say he only runs simple routes or isn't a good route runner. It is true he didn't go over the middle much, but he ran many different routes at Ohio State, and he can cut on a dime. I imagine he'll be a terrific route runner in the pros--although he'll never be a guy that can take the pounding over the middle.

He had 8 catches for 101 yards and a TD vs. Michigan (and Leon Hall), so to say he wasn't a factor in the game is also flat wrong.

ND72
04-11-2007, 05:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2833744

Although his stamina was less than ideal following months of rehabilitation for a sprained foot, Ohio State wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. was still clocked in the 4.3s in the 40-yard sprint during a Wednesday workout for NFL scouts, a performance which likely strengthened his status as a top 15 selection in this month's draft.

Ginn, who was unable to work out at the NFL combine sessions at Indianapolis in February, and, thus, was viewed as a bit of a wild card in the first round, ran the 40 three times during Wednesday's campus audition. According to scouts present at the workout, Ginn's times were between 4.37-4.45 seconds.

Had he been healthy, Ginn hoped to challenge Deion Sanders' unofficial combine record in the 40-yard sprint, 4.29 seconds, but his injury precluded that. The Buckeyes' star recently has been running consistently in the 4.3s during training sessions, and his Wednesday times should have been more than satisfactory for scouts.

Overall conditioning remains a problem, however, for Ginn, who probably needs three or four more weeks to be back to optimum shape. Ginn suffered a left mid-foot sprain when teammates piled on him to celebrate his 93-yard touchdown return of the opening kickoff in the BCS championship game against the University of Florida more than two months ago.

The workout on Wednesday consisted of Ginn running the 40 and of going through a series of receiving drills. Scouts said Ginn caught the ball well and demonstrated a fluid running style but that, with his foot still not 100 percent, he was not as explosive in and out of his cuts as they project him to be when he is fully recovered.

Most teams rate Ginn the No. 2 wide receiver prospect in the draft, behind only Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson, and some projections have him a top 10 choice. Beyond the foot injury, the only other concerns about Ginn revolve around his thin build. At the combine, he measured 5-feet-11 ¼ and 178 pounds.

In three seasons, Ginn was one of the college game's most dynamic playmakers, both as a receiver and a return man. He posted 125 receptions for 1,943 yards and 15 touchdowns in 37 games at Ohio State. Ginn averaged 14.1 yards and scored six times on 64 punt returns. He scored two touchdowns, and averaged 26.6 yards on 38 kickoff returns, and rushed 28 times for 213 yards and three touchdowns.

His six touchdowns on combined kick returns tied an NCAA career record.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
The one thing I don't really like is his size but the Pats have done well with the smaller WR's. They like the way they cut and get out of their cuts.

ND72
04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
As long as he's not OUR first round talent. Note to ND: can run only simple routes, was not a factor in the U-M/OSU game, does not go over the middle.Ugh.

He was the player of the game UM/OSU game...... :?:

If you guys don't like him, than just say it. But don't through out assumptions that aren't backed up by fact.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Hall surely couldn't cover him.

ND72
04-11-2007, 05:30 PM
It's kind of funny to me....I remember a lot of arguing I had with people that a certain player from Ohio State last year was too small to play LB in the NFL, and he was over hyped cause he went to OSU....and he was "protected" cause of all the talent around him....And yet again, I feel like i'm making the same arguements for Ginn. WATCH HIS GAMES if you can somehow. The guy is a player. He's fast as hell. He runs good routes. He has soft hands. And he'd serve 3 roles on our team, which is huge. And to say he "isn't the type of talent GB needs"....WOW. While I at times question the path Ted Thompson goes, I do think he enjoys getting GOOD players.

mmmdk
04-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Ginn, Ginn might just be worth the "gamble"; he could be special - probowl special. There's a chance he'll be there at #16 and TT will think hard on that one. I see other good picks that could be made at #16 - I'm hoping for Carriker but he might be gone (at #16).

ND72
04-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Ginn, Ginn might just be worth the "gamble"; he could be special - probowl special. There's a chance he'll be there at #16 and TT will think hard on that one. I see other good picks that could be made at #16 - I'm hoping for Carriker but he might be gone (at #16).

I'm not argueing here...but where is Carriker playing? Jenkins & Kampman are the starting DE's, KGB comes in on 3rd down. so when/where does Carriker come in? We need a guy in the 1st round to play right away. A DE in the 1st round does NOT start for us this year.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Many scouts have said that he doesn't run the best of routes and that Gonzales runs better routes. You can spin it as much as you want but Ginn is slight and short but he still could have a big impact but I don't like his size. 180 lbs is too light imo.

ND72
04-11-2007, 05:37 PM
I won't argue any of that....But Donald Driver was "too small" coming out of college, and was listed as a guy who "shouldn't be drafted based on size"....all that size stuff I hear every year...Maurice JOnes Drew was "too small" to be an impact player last year...Ask Indy how that went.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Ask Ron Wolf about small players. There are always exceptions to the rule but I don't like small players.

ND72
04-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Fair enough :lol:

packrulz
04-11-2007, 05:50 PM
I think Ginn Jr. would be a good fit for the Packers, they need an explosive punt returner and a deep threat to keep defenses honest. Ginn has world class speed when he's healthy, not many DB's will be able to keep up with him.

Fritz
04-11-2007, 06:44 PM
As a Buckeye fan, I think it's just flat wrong to say he only runs simple routes or isn't a good route runner. It is true he didn't go over the middle much, but he ran many different routes at Ohio State, and he can cut on a dime. I imagine he'll be a terrific route runner in the pros--although he'll never be a guy that can take the pounding over the middle.

He had 8 catches for 101 yards and a TD vs. Michigan (and Leon Hall), so to say he wasn't a factor in the game is also flat wrong.

Harvey, my Mom had six catches and a T.D. in that game.

Scott Campbell
04-11-2007, 06:53 PM

Harvey, my Mom had six catches and a T.D. in that game.

But your Mom has better size and softer hands.

Scott Campbell
04-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Had he been healthy, Ginn hoped to challenge Deion Sanders' unofficial combine record in the 40-yard sprint, 4.29 seconds, but his injury precluded that. The Buckeyes' star recently has been running consistently in the 4.3s during training sessions, and his Wednesday times should have been more than satisfactory for scouts.

I remember during Ted's first draft thinking about how he seemed so enamoured with speed. Picking Guinn at 16 wouldn't surprise me given his ability to play special teams and our return man situation.

RashanGary
04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
I like Ginn but I'm also concerned with his size and durabilty. As far as how he plays the game; he might be one of the top few players in this draft.

Merlin
04-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Ginn might be a great fit for KR/PR, but if he can't go over the middle and he's small, sorry, we already have DD and DDII on the roster. We need size at WR with over the middle and deep ball capabilities. DD & DDII aren't good at the jump ball but dangerous as hell if left alone.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Good point and I think a good red zone threat would be nice.

wist43
04-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Just don't know how you can justify taking a guy at #16 who probably won't contribute much from scrimmage.

He doesn't run good routes, isn't very physical, and is shy about going over the middle... yes, he's blazing fast, and would be an instant contributor on ST, but that isn't enough to justify a 1st round pick.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 09:19 PM
We need a guy like Jarrett but I don't like him either.

ND72
04-11-2007, 09:34 PM
He doesn't run good routes, isn't very physical, and is shy about going over the middle... yes, he's blazing fast, and would be an instant contributor on ST, but that isn't enough to justify a 1st round pick.

Few problems. #1...Ginn has been listed as one of hte best route runners in this draft just behind Calvin Johnson. #2...just because the Buckeye's haven't had him over the middle, doesn't say he's shy. Other than on here, i've never seen anything written in FACT that he is shy about going over the middle.

I like Ginn, I donno if they'll take him, or donno if I want them to take him. But lets start stating facts instead of assumptions.

Partial
04-11-2007, 09:35 PM

TRANSLATION:

and Ginn isn't a qualtiy player? You're right. blazing speed, soft hands. 2 time all american. scary kick and punt returner. you're right, we wouldn't want anything like that.

A 4.4 isn't as fast a the sub 4.3 we thought he'd run, though.

ND72
04-11-2007, 09:36 PM

TRANSLATION:

A 4.4 isn't as fast a the sub 4.3 we thought he'd run, though.

With a 75% healthy ankle. DAMN...

Packnut
04-11-2007, 09:38 PM

I'm not argueing here...but where is Carriker playing? Jenkins & Kampman are the starting DE's, KGB comes in on 3rd down. so when/where does Carriker come in? We need a guy in the 1st round to play right away. A DE in the 1st round does NOT start for us this year.

I'd be happy with Ginn at 16. But then I'd be happy with Lynch or Bowe also. Just get SOMEONE who can give Brett just a little help!

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Like Robert Brooks, he wasn't afraid to go over the middle but his body couldn't take it. It has been hard on Driver also but Driver has more Drive than 90% of the NFL players.

ND72
04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I'd be happy with Ginn at 16. But then I'd be happy with Lynch or Bowe also. Just get SOMEONE who can give Brett just a little help!

Ahmen...I think all our argueing is at least all in agreement towards that part. As long as it's not Meachem :D

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't mid Willis or Nelson being the pick and if Jamaal slides to us, hopefully someone wnts him bad so we could swing a sweet deal and trade down.

ND72
04-11-2007, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't mid Willis or Nelson being the pick and if Jamaal slides to us, hopefully someone wnts him bad so we could swing a sweet deal and trade down.

Willis, yes...he'd be a perfect SLB and get rid of poopinga. Nelson, no. He's exactly the same as Collins. Plus in all his draft profiles, he's listed as a Free Safety with no possibility of playing strong safety....Collins is our FS, he won't play SS. That'd be a wasted pick. Plus, I still see Ginn making Nelson playing safety on the kick return, look like he was in slow motion as Ginn ran past him.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 09:52 PM
The coaching staff was thinking about moving Collins already and Nelson has much greater ball skills than Collins and much better instinct. I think they would work well together.

ND72
04-11-2007, 09:53 PM
The coaching staff was thinking about moving Collins already and Nelson has much greater ball skills than Collins and much better instinct. I think they would work well together.

eek...if that's the case, we're in trouble, cause one of hte big question marks for Nelson is his instincts.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I've read comments that contradict yours but Collins sure seems to lack instincts and has absolutely no ball skills.

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I can't see us taking LB in round 1. Just too much money at LB and not enough PT to justify it. We have two LBs that will be here for years that are both 3 down LBs. Oftentimes, the third LB doesn't play on 50% of downs because teams are in the nickel and dime package so much.

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Collins might lack instincts (or maybe just experience against top notch competition), but I think he has good ball skills. I saw the light go on the last half of the year. I expect big things (including big plays) from him in year 3.

ND72
04-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I've read comments that contradict yours but Collins sure seems to lack instincts and has absolutely no ball skills.

these are 2 clips from 2 draft magazines I have...only the weaknesses, but the stregths don't have anything to do with this...

#1 - Lacks natural footbal instincts. Plays too much centerfield.
#2 - Lacks natural football knowledge, and needs lots of coaching and other leaders on the field to assist him. If asked to man up on a slot or a tight end, he will get beat every time.

they listed some good strengths....but since you mentioned instincts, thought i'd find these.

ND72
04-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Collins might lack instincts (or maybe just experience against top notch competition), but I think he has good ball skills. I saw the light go on the last half of the year. I expect big things (including big plays) from him in year 3.

the last 4 games of hte year, I saw the light come on with a lot of our DB's not named Woodson or Harris.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 10:04 PM
This is the situation the team may be in in regards to Jamaal also.

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2007, 10:04 PM
the last 4 games of hte year, I saw the light come on with a lot of our DB's not named Woodson or Harris.

I saw improvement from Nick even before last 4 games. I actually don't think his season was as bad as some think (including me). He just didn't make a lot of big plays. I watched the rebroadcast of the Rams game, and I thought he made some plays. Broke up a pass late in the 4th quarter on the last Rams drive before the Packers got the ball at the end. I think some were expecting big plays, and were disappointed that they didn't come earlier in the year, but I don't think he was the main culprit for the crappy early play. He had a couple of breakdowns, but was solid for the most part. It was Manuel, Carroll, and Poppinga (early) who were the main culprits the first 5-6 games.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 10:06 PM
He seems to be in position pretty much all the time, he just never makes the big pic to really change the flow of the game. He has a disappointing year last seaon imo.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Footballs future says he has a nose for the ball, great S but is a bit thin. I'll look for more if you want but I don't know how to paste these comments :(

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Scott Wrightsd draft countdown, very instinctive, nose for the ball. My brother is a huge Gators fan and we watched probably four or five games together and my opinion is that he has good instincts but obviously there is a differing opinion. The one red flag I've seen the most is his lack of bulk.

Sparkey
04-12-2007, 07:08 AM
Strengths:
Has world-class speed...A phenomenal natural athlete...Is extremely quick with a tremendous burst...A playmaker who is a threat to take it the distance every time he touches the ball...A dangerous weapon on reverses and screens...A terror to cover on vertical routes...Height is adequate...Shows pretty good hands when he focuses...Still has a lot of upside...A premier prospect as a kick and punt returner.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the type of ideal bulk you would prefer...Will struggle to beat the jam, avoids contact and isn't very physical...Needs to get stronger...Still very raw and will need to work on mastering the nuances of the position...He's not a great route runner...Is not overly elusive and makes people miss with his speed rather than moves...Isn't much of a blocker...Has too many drops...Not a true #1 target.

Notes:
Played for his father, Ted Ginn Sr., in the noted Glenville program as a prep and was a highly decorated player coming out of high school...Has been timed at 10.5 seconds in the 100 meter dash...Was a national champion in the 110 high hurdles as a junior and recorded the best time in the nation as a senior...He's certainly a dynamic weapon but the question is whether he will be closer to Steve Smith or Troy Williamson at the next level?...He will at the very least be a top-notch return man in the pros but might ultimately be more of a #2 or #3 option as a receiver.

b bulldog
04-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Ive seen Collins drop way too many interceptions to say he has good ball skills. Last year in one of the early games they lost, the QB threw a ball right to him where he could have run 80plus yards for the TD but he dropped it. Collins had no ball skills until the last few games. I think he has great potential but he isn't there yet.

MJZiggy
04-12-2007, 08:52 AM
until the last few games.

I think that part is important.

mraynrand
04-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Ted Ginn ran three forties in the 4.38-4.42 range at his Pro Day Wednesday, according to Scout.com.

Ginn reportedly ran six routes during pass-catching drills and fell on five of them before the workout was called off. We've confirmed that it's been raining in Columbus, but no other explanation for the slips has been given. Ginn had been struggling with a sprained foot.
http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=4168

Apparently, Ginn caught the first pass for a TD, celebrated, hurt his foot, and that caused him to fall on the other 5. He was taken off the field on a cart. The QB throwing to him looked like a heisman trophy winner on the first pass, but looked terrible on the other five. Ginn was overheard saying "Even if I screwed it up, we still beat Michigan and that chump Lloyd Carr is still gonna get beat this year!"

Fritz
04-14-2007, 09:56 AM
As much as I don't care for Ginn, I will hope like heck I am wrong and ND is right if TT takes him.Maybe he'd be like Chris Chambers, who scouts said was afraid to go over the middle and was a one-trick pony (deep routes).

b bulldog
04-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Chambers has been somewhat of a disappointment in Miami.

b bulldog
04-14-2007, 04:28 PM
82 catches for 1118 yards is his best season. I know the QB's stunk in Miami last season but he only had 59 catches for 677 yards. I'd hope whoever we draft at the WR position on day one can equal Chambers output so far.