PDA

View Full Version : Packers talking to cornerback James

retailguy
04-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Posted April 11, 2007

Packers talking to cornerback James

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers have engaged in preliminary contract talks with free-agent cornerback Tory James.

James' agent, Mark Bartelstein, said the Packers were among four teams that have shown interest in the 12-year veteran, who played the past four seasons for the Cincinnati Bengals.

"We've had conversations for quite a while now," Bartelstein said. "Talks are ongoing, and we'll see where it leads."

The other three teams that remain interested in James are the New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints and Oakland Raiders, according to Bartelstein.

"I'm hoping to get something done this week," he said.

Bartelstein said the Packers have indicated they're interested in James as a possible No. 3 cornerback. The Packers' only free-agent signing this offseason was also a cornerback — fifth-year veteran Frank Walker, formerly of the New York Giants.

The 6-foot-2, 192-pound James started all 16 games for the Bengals last season, when he made 33 tackles and had four interceptions. It was the fourth straight season in which he started every game.

"He's been a starter his whole career," Bartelstein said. "If someone gets him as a third corner, that's a heck of a weapon to have."

retailguy
04-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Maybe we'll play four cornerbacks and no safeties?

Then again, at least he's talking to somebody... :wink:

Merlin
04-11-2007, 08:09 PM
He would be a great addition in the nickel and dime while we get some of these young ones acclimated.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 08:27 PM
I bet he ends up in New Orleans

hurleyfan
04-11-2007, 08:32 PM
What's that old addage??

Can never have enough corners!!

At the right price, why not! Use this years draft picks on other needs that may be "stronger"

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Can never have enough 30plus year old corners?? :cry:

packers11
04-11-2007, 08:34 PM
He's not going to come to GB and want to be in the nickel... I think he chooses the #2 spot somewhere else... (probably the Saints)...

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Tandems with Mike McKenzie

KYPack
04-11-2007, 08:41 PM
This guy is not an NFL starting CB and he knows it.
His wheels are shot, but he's a foxy dog. A great back-up CB and nickle /dime guy.

He knows every trick in the book and could be good for us. I have little faith in our DB coaches, all of 'em. A seasoned guy whose at the end could be better for our young DB's than the guys paid to coach 'em.

Don't think he'll he wind up here, but he could be a good addition.

hurleyfan
04-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Can never have enough 30plus year old corners?? :cry:

I guess that's a shot at Harris & Woodson :roll:

Are there corners in this draft the Pack would be better off with?

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 08:46 PM
This is not a real strong draft for DB's. Hall is supposedly the clear cut number one and I think he is the most overrated player in the draft alongside fellow Wolverine, Allen Branch. I definitely think they will draft a young corner to develop during the draft, probably earlier rather than later.

hurleyfan
04-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Leon Hall as a first round pick is going to make some team a big loser! JMO

Every Michigan game I saw last year, I thought I was watching film of Ahmad Carrol.....

Guy seemed to be constantly chasing the receiver or getting beat, or grasping as he was getting beat..

I'm surprised he is getting as much hype as he is..

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Man do I love the Wolverines but their Dplayers are all overrated except for Harris. I think he will be a competent LB in the NFL. He seems to have a nose for the ball.

hurleyfan
04-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Man do I love the Wolverines but their Dplayers are all overrated except for Harris. I think he will be a competent LB in the NFL. He seems to have a nose for the ball.

Bull,
you think A Branch is over rated also?

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Hell yeah, does Cletius Hunt ring a bell. He was gasping for air during UM's proday during the line drills. Against UW, he was going against the weak Badger G's and they were at worst nullifying him.

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Hurley fan, how much snow is on the ground??

hurleyfan
04-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Hell yeah, does Cletius Hunt ring a bell. He was gasping for air during UM's proday during the line drills. Against UW, he was going against the weak Badger G's and they were at worst nullifying him.

Clitoris Hunt does ring a bell... a very BAD bell :lol:

Didn't get to see the UM pro day, or hear reports, just get the top of the heap stuff for this years draft picks...

b bulldog
04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Do you live in NY or Hurley?

hurleyfan
04-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Hurley fan, how much snow is on the ground??

Finally no snow on the ground!

MadtownPacker
04-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Id rather have Lebron James. 8-)

BF4MVP
04-11-2007, 11:47 PM
I just remember Freeman escaping James' ankle tackle against the Broncos during the '96 season..

James has been to the pro bowl though, couldn't hurt..

woodbuck27
04-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Id rather have Lebron James. 8-)

Yea !

We'll turn him into a very productive TE.

MJZiggy
04-12-2007, 12:56 PM

I put less stock in the pro bowl designation since it's turned into a popularity contest rather than an indication of true skill.

HarveyWallbangers
04-12-2007, 12:59 PM
James has been decent. Not a star, but decent and some years pretty darn good. I know interceptions are not the only indicator, but he has had 4+ interceptions in 8 of his last 9 years in the league (including 8 a couple of years ago), so he's shown to have playmaking ability.

VermontPackFan
04-12-2007, 06:06 PM
His wheels are shot, but he's a foxy dog.

OH MY KY...THE LINGO YOU USE.

KYPack
04-12-2007, 09:44 PM

Ya got me there, VPF.

It's ex (faded) jock talk.

James is a good trooper but he's running on fumes. He might be an excellent coach or mentor bc he's relied on tricks for most of his career. He knows 'em all, I'll say that.

Brando19
04-12-2007, 09:49 PM

I put less stock in the pro bowl designation since it's turned into a popularity contest rather than an indication of true skill.

Absolutely...the Pro Bowl is a joke. It's kind of like judging IQ in a beauty contest...no matter what...you're going to pick the prettiest one.

Bretsky
04-12-2007, 10:47 PM
SIGN this player so I can get rid of this DAM sig :lol:

Guiness
04-13-2007, 04:03 AM

Ya got me there, VPF.

James is a good trooper but he's running on fumes. He might be an excellent coach or mentor bc he's relied on tricks for most of his career. He knows 'em all, I'll say that.

I hope you're wrong - that was what they said about Little - he didn't exactly work out.

KYPack
04-13-2007, 08:33 PM

Ya got me there, VPF.

I hope you're wrong - that was what they said about Little - he didn't exactly work out.

I'm not really advocating the guy, but Dendy and Bush don't impress me at all. The other limitation with a guy like James is, he can't play anything on ST anymore. Neither can, say, Dendy but they can at least put him out there.

Older FA's don't seem to be TT's thing, so the point is probably moot.

If somebody said that Little was a wise old DB, they didn't know what they were talking about.

Guiness
04-14-2007, 05:28 AM
If somebody said that Little was a wise old DB, they didn't know what they were talking about.

I remember an article shortly after he was signed talking about how knowledgeable he was, and that during the interview he knew terminology for the defense as well as the coaches did.

the_idle_threat
04-14-2007, 05:56 AM

I remember an article shortly after he was signed talking about how knowledgeable he was, and that during the interview he knew terminology for the defense as well as the coaches did.

They published the same article on Marquand Manuel when they signed him, IIRC. :x Maybe they just used cut-and-paste? :o

the_idle_threat
04-14-2007, 05:59 AM

Packers: Hey---good luck! I hope you sign someplace soon!

James: Errr ... thanks.

:P :P :P

KYPack
04-14-2007, 09:02 AM

Maybe Little was conversant with the terminology, but a "wise" player he wasn't. James is smart on the field in his play. He can read the offenses and anticpate plays, making correct calls and helping his mates.

Little was a safety, not a corner, BTW.

Fritz
04-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Better a foxy dog than a doggy fox.

packers11
04-14-2007, 10:28 AM

Packers: Hey---good luck! I hope you sign someplace soon!

James: Errr ... thanks.

:P :P :P

:lol:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the conversation

woodbuck27
04-14-2007, 06:59 PM
SIGN this player so I can get rid of this DAM sig :lol:

Got another picked out?

You may be able to use it next off season. :)

Rastak
04-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the New England Patriots have signed free-agent cornerback Tory James to a one-year deal worth approximately $2.7 million.

James will be a backup in New England, for now. But he will likely get plenty of reps in the preseason, if as expected cornerback Asante Samuel does not sign his franchise tender until the eve of the regular season. And if Samuel opts to skip one or more regular-season games, James would likely take Samuel's place in the starting lineup.

We also think that the move might be intended to potentially get other teams thinking that New England won't pick a cornerback in the early stages of the draft. With Randall Gay a year away from free agency and Samuel potentially gone in 2008 if not sooner, it might make sense to grab a guy now, even with James on the team.

An 11-year veteran, James has spent his entire career in the AFC. He was with the Broncos from 1996 through 1999, the Raiders from 2000 through 2002 and the Bengals from 2003 through 2006. He started in 16 games for the Bengals last year, making 41 tackles and picking off four passes.

MJZiggy
04-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Poor Bretsky...

retailguy
04-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Wow. this is a shocker... :roll:

Bretsky
04-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the New England Patriots have signed free-agent cornerback Tory James to a one-year deal worth approximately $2.7 million.

James will be a backup in New England, for now. But he will likely get plenty of reps in the preseason, if as expected cornerback Asante Samuel does not sign his franchise tender until the eve of the regular season. And if Samuel opts to skip one or more regular-season games, James would likely take Samuel's place in the starting lineup.

We also think that the move might be intended to potentially get other teams thinking that New England won't pick a cornerback in the early stages of the draft. With Randall Gay a year away from free agency and Samuel potentially gone in 2008 if not sooner, it might make sense to grab a guy now, even with James on the team.

An 11-year veteran, James has spent his entire career in the AFC. He was with the Broncos from 1996 through 1999, the Raiders from 2000 through 2002 and the Bengals from 2003 through 2006. He started in 16 games for the Bengals last year, making 41 tackles and picking off four passes.

Prolly a much better deal than the Snapper was offering; good signing by NE

Bretsky
04-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Poor Bretsky...

I never fathomed that I'd be looking at having the same dam sign come draft day.

MJZiggy
04-17-2007, 07:49 PM
I know, but now it's getting kinda fun watching you squirm about it...It is the offseason you know!! :P

retailguy
04-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Poor Bretsky...

I never fathomed that I'd be looking at having the same dam sign come draft day.

You know, I just opened this thread and started sneezing from all the dust. I think it's coming from your sig bretsky, could you dust it off please? My allergies thank you... :lol: