PDA

View Full Version : Rumor I heard this morning

GoPackGo
04-12-2007, 10:34 AM
I heard that Detroit is negotiating with Oakland to send QB Josh McCown to Oakland for a 2nd day pick. Josh McCown would then be the starter in Oakland and would allow the Raiders to pass on Jamarcus Russel and pick Calvin Johnson #1 overall.

LL2
04-12-2007, 10:38 AM
The Raiders and Lions are dumb!

wist43
04-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Everything depends on whether or not they think Quinn or Russell has a chance to be a franchise QB.

If they trade for McCown - who obviously is not a franchise QB - and then go ahead and draft Johnson, then they've obviously concluded that Russell and Quinn aren't going to be franchise QB's.

If you have a shot at a franchise QB, you have to take it - don't know if Russell or Quinn is a franchise guys or not though.

Brando19
04-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Detroit and Oakland should quit competing with one another for the worst team in the league and just combine to have the suckiest team of all time!

Zool
04-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Oakland generally doesnt take QB's high as far as my memory serves me. Walters was a 3rd and Tuiasosopo was a 2nd. Marinovich is the last QB I can think of them taking 1st round. I should research.

Edit:

Historically the Raiders draft a ton of lineman and DB's early and often. Going back through the 80's, Marinovich was the only 1st round QB.

bigcoz75
04-12-2007, 11:27 AM
From what I've read about this rumor they are intertested in QB Trent Edwards from Stanford.

CaliforniaCheez
04-12-2007, 11:37 AM
I live in the Raider broadcast area and have seen a lot of games that weren't blacked out. Andrew Walter is a good QB and I think better than Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Kyle Orton and the other QB's of that draft. All of them are still getting better.

With Randy Moss at the end of his career the Raiders likely will take Calvin Johnson, a sure thing, over a risky QB. There will be others available in the second and third who may be better than the top 2.

Bulger, Brady, and Hassleback were 6th round picks. I think Mike Martz would like to work on a project like that. The Lions have burned a lot of high picks though. McCown just doesn't have it and getting rid of him makes sense for the Lions. He would not be the starter in Oakland.

It is a relatively minor discussion between NFL teams. The Lions would like to have more picks even in the 6th and 7th rounds. Don't read too much into it.

GoPackGo
04-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Apparently the Raiders would make Josh McCown the starter because they like the fact he is mobile and he does not get hurt.

MacCool606
04-12-2007, 12:22 PM
By pulling the trigger on this deal, Millen wouldn't be second guessed if he didn't draft another WR in round 1.

MadtownPacker
04-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Apparently the Raiders would make Josh McCown the starter because they like the fact he is mobile and he does not get hurt.He also has a decent arm. Hard for me to hate on the dude cuz I always remember his great comeback in the desert against vikings. It was like he had been possesed by Favre on that last drive.

Fritz
04-12-2007, 12:37 PM
If trading Josh McCown to the Raiders increases the likelihood of the Raiders drafting Calvin Jonson, then in my estimation it's a bad move by the Lions. That guy seems to me to be the best athlete AND football player in the draft, and if he's there the Lions would be dumb not to take him.

It's a mess in Detroit right now. Shaun Rogers has not been attending workouts, nor have McCown or Williams. And it ain't like Woodson and Harris who work out on their own. Mike Williams is probably devouring a Tubby's Submarine as we speak.

ND72
04-12-2007, 12:48 PM
The word is, from what i've heard, is that Tampa is pressuring Detroit not to trade McCown, and that if they don't then TB will then trade spots with Detroit so they can take Calvin Johnson, if Oakland still doesn't take him. Also, Al Davis told a reporter that even if they did trade for Josh McCown, they would still like to take Russell, and let him sit and learn a year.

HarveyWallbangers
04-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I seriously doubt that acquiring Josh McCown would preclude any team from altering their draft board.

woodbuck27
04-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I seriously doubt that acquiring Josh McCown would preclude any team from altering their draft board.

Exactly.

SD GB fan
04-12-2007, 07:29 PM
if this trade goes down, it might benefit us in two ways. first, det have no chance of drafting a stud WR that probably would torch us. second, having drafted CJ, al davis is more likely to trade randy moss.

Brando19
04-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports there is a good chance the Oakland Raiders will draft Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson and not Louisiana State QB JaMarcus Russell.

retailguy
04-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports there is a good chance the Oakland Raiders will draft Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson and not Louisiana State QB JaMarcus Russell.

Well, considering even the janitors at all 32 NFL franchises think Calvin Johnson is the "consensus" top player in the draft, Len's really reaching out on that tree limb there....

Cripes, I could predict that. Len = Ms. Cleo. :D

Partial
04-12-2007, 08:28 PM
I think they still go with Russell. And Tampa Bay becomes potentially scary good w/ they trade down. Arizona will push to trade w/ Cleveland to guarantee themselves Joey T. Lions take Quinn at 4. Cleveland takes Peterson at 5.

ND72
04-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Ihave had this hunch for a while now, but I really think Oakland is going to take Calvin Johnson. I'm willing to bet that they are going to enter Contract negotiations with both CJ & Russell, and CJ is going to come out looking better money wise to them than Russell, and they'll make that deal (like Houston did last year). After that, it could be a crap shoot. Does Detroit really want Russell? I don't think as much as they would like Defense or Joe Thomas. Plus "word" is that Marinelli has become in love with Gaines Adams. Cleveland LOVES Russell. Things could go so many different ways even IF Oak takes Russell, but things will go so many other directions if they take CJ.

Brando19
04-12-2007, 08:35 PM
I'll make a prediction...if...IF...Arizona trades up...they'll go after Adrian Peterson. But I don't know that they'd have to trade up to get him.

ND72
04-12-2007, 08:57 PM
I'll make a prediction...if...IF...Arizona trades up...they'll go after Adrian Peterson. But I don't know that they'd have to trade up to get him.

Edgerin James is making $20 million in garunteed money the next 2 seasons...they are NOT drafting adrian Peterson. they've wanted Joe thomas. Their GM last year at like mid season said they want Joe Thomas.

b bulldog
04-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Thomas would be a dream come true in the desert.

Brando19
04-12-2007, 09:44 PM

Edgerin James is making $20 million in garunteed money the next 2 seasons...they are NOT drafting adrian Peterson. they've wanted Joe thomas. Their GM last year at like mid season said they want Joe Thomas.

Do you think the Saints needed Reggie Bush last year? No...they had Deuce McAllister. However...Bush surprisingly didn't go number 1 and he fell to the number 2 spot. The Saints realized he was the best player so they took him. Do you think most teams have Thomas rated higher than Peterson on their draft board? I don't think the majority of the teams do. So let's be realistic...every team knows it's good to have two good RB's...the Cardinals would take Peterson over Thomas if it came down to it...in my opinion.

ND72
04-12-2007, 10:04 PM
there is a big difference between REggie Bush, who can also play WR and return punts & kicks, and Adrian Peterson, who will only play RB. Cardinals will NOT take Peterson.

Brando19
04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
there is a big difference between REggie Bush, who can also play WR and return punts & kicks, and Adrian Peterson, who will only play RB. Cardinals will NOT take Peterson.

Never say never.

ND72
04-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Never.

Brando19
04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Never.

Smartass. Now I'm hoping the Cardinals get him.

ND72
04-12-2007, 10:17 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brando19
04-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Adrian Peterson himself suggested that he could be drafted by the Arizona Cardinals. On Saturday evening he joined Evan Cohen on Fox Sports Radio and was asked… Adrian, if you had to give me two teams that you may play for — your gut feeling as to where you end up in the draft and those millions of dollars that you’re going to make would be riding on it, you tell me what two teams? "I would say Cleveland or Arizona. Arizona you think is a possibility even though Edgerrin James is there? Yeah, yeah, I think it’s a possibility."

SudsMcBucky
04-24-2007, 07:16 AM
Agree with ND on this one. Peterson is not the same kind of weapon Bush is. AZ has too much money sunk into Edge and Leinart, and those guys need MAJOR help on the line. If AZ passes on JT for AD, they're even dumber than Al Davis or Millen.

Partial
04-24-2007, 09:35 AM

Do you think the Saints needed Reggie Bush last year? No...they had Deuce McAllister. However...Bush surprisingly didn't go number 1 and he fell to the number 2 spot. The Saints realized he was the best player so they took him. Do you think most teams have Thomas rated higher than Peterson on their draft board? I don't think the majority of the teams do. So let's be realistic...every team knows it's good to have two good RB's...the Cardinals would take Peterson over Thomas if it came down to it...in my opinion.

Their GM will be assassinated if they don't take Joe Thomas and he is there. No chance in hell they take any other player if Thomas is available. He is the BPA and their needs go OLT, DE.

That said, its not a given that he is there. I think they take Gaines Adams if Thomas is gone. Fills their second need and would be BPA.

Sparkey
04-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Dwayne Bowe is my prediction.

packerbacker1234
04-24-2007, 02:49 PM
One: Josh has done nothing but EARN the right to start.

Witht he cardnals he not only maintained a WINNING record, he averaged 300 yards passing per start and 2 td's.

I think he has earned the right to go someplace to compete for a start.

Fritz
04-25-2007, 11:54 AM
"Plus "word" is that Marinelli has become in love with Gaines Adams."

ND, if this is so and Detroit passes on Calvin Johnson and Joe Thomas to take this guy, it will cement Matt Millen's place as the all-time worst general manager of any sport at any level in any country of any universe, ever.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2007, 12:57 PM
One: Josh has done nothing but EARN the right to start.

Witht he cardnals he not only maintained a WINNING record, he averaged 300 yards passing per start and 2 td's.

I think he has earned the right to go someplace to compete for a start.

When did he ever have a winning record? He may have averaged 300 yards in his starts (or close to it), but big deal. If you throw 50-60 times/game, you'll get yards. His TDs to interceptions are 25 to 29 in his career. He may do okay as a starter, but I wouldn't say he's done everything to earn the right to start. His play has been average at best.