PDA

View Full Version : Favre certain Moss will be a Packer

Brando19
04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
I found this on PFT:

It's been a while since the rampant rumors linking Raiders receiver Randy Moss to the Green Bay Packers died down. But that doesn't mean that the issue is dead.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that Packers quarterback Brett Favre is "100 percent certain" that Moss will be a Packer by the time the 2007 season starts.

The only problem is that the Raiders and the Packers haven't been able to strike a deal for compensation. Our guess is that the logjam will break once the draft approaches; otherwise, any picks necessarily would be deferred into 2008. Plus, if the Raiders choose to take receiver Calvin Johnson with the first pick on April 28, their leverage in subsequent trade talks will surely drop, since the chances of the Raiders letting Johnson get anywhere close to the malcontented Moss are slim and none.

Farley Face
04-12-2007, 07:53 PM
I found this on PFT:

It's been a while since the rampant rumors linking Raiders receiver Randy Moss to the Green Bay Packers died down. But that doesn't mean that the issue is dead.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that Packers quarterback Brett Favre is "100 percent certain" that Moss will be a Packer by the time the 2007 season starts.

The only problem is that the Raiders and the Packers haven't been able to strike a deal for compensation. Our guess is that the logjam will break once the draft approaches; otherwise, any picks necessarily would be deferred into 2008. Plus, if the Raiders choose to take receiver Calvin Johnson with the first pick on April 28, their leverage in subsequent trade talks will surely drop, since the chances of the Raiders letting Johnson get anywhere close to the malcontented Moss are slim and none.

After the front loaded Barnett signing do we still have the cap flexibility to pull this deal? Any trade would likely include a restructuring of Moss' contract, and that won't be cheap. I think we could do it, but it might mean Brett putting his money where his mouth is, ala Elway late in his career taking pay cuts to aquire the talent needed for his two rings.

retailguy
04-12-2007, 08:06 PM
A source with knowledge of the situation tells us....

I know! I know!

arrigo? :P :twisted:

packers11
04-12-2007, 08:42 PM
At $21 million under the cap, vice president of finance Andrew Brandt structured the deal so it counted $7.225 million against the cap this year.

Therefor... 13 million left... Plenty for MOSS :)

Farley Face
04-12-2007, 08:47 PM
At $21 million under the cap, vice president of finance Andrew Brandt structured the deal so it counted $7.225 million against the cap this year.

Therefor... 13 million left... Plenty for MOSS :)

OK, good. We still have a draft class to pay for, but if we choose to, a Moss deal seems feasible financially.

packinpatland
04-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Only Bus Cook know for sure.........

MJZiggy
04-12-2007, 08:55 PM
No one answered my question before: Is the draft pool separate from the regular salary cap and if not, what's it for?

ND72
04-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Draft pool is a salary within the salary. Each team must have a certain amount of their salary cap for their draft. a team like Oakland, probably needs around $5 million in cap money for their rookies, we're probably looking at $4 million needed. It's kind of long and carried out, but it's just a cap, within our cap.

Farley Face
04-12-2007, 09:00 PM
No one answered my question before: Is the draft pool separate from the regular salary cap and if not, what's it for?

The draft pool is not separate, but it caps what total dollars within the overall cap can be allocated to your draftees. Based on how many picks and where they are drafted.

gbpackfan
04-12-2007, 09:10 PM
The Packers can EASILY sign Moss to a nice fat deal. There are about a 100 different ways to structure contracts. If they want him, cap space will not be an issue.

HarveyWallbangers
04-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Of the $13M, we'll have to use about $5-6M on rookies. That would leave $6-7M to sign FAs, extend our own players (e.g. Corey Williams), and go into the season with a buffer (which you need). No, there's not a lot of room for Moss--although if he came to Green Bay, you can be sure he'd have a restructured deal.

sepporepi
04-13-2007, 04:53 AM

I bet if he ever said that, he said it in an ironically or cynical manner.
Apperantly it wasn't an interview, so someone approached him with the topic and instead of: "F**k off, b***rd, I dont't know and if I knew I won't tell you", he said something nicer :lol:

Bretsky
04-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Of the $13M, we'll have to use about $5-6M on rookies. That would leave $6-7M to sign FAs, extend our own players (e.g. Corey Williams), and go into the season with a buffer (which you need). No, there's not a lot of room for Moss--although if he came to Green Bay, you can be sure he'd have a restructured deal.

Why dont' we ask Joe Arrigo what's going on ? He's indicated his sources said the deal was getting finalized several times now

gbpackfan
04-13-2007, 08:01 AM

Come on Harvey, there is plenty of room to sign Moss. Denver figures out how to do it every year. Structure is all that matters.

Sparkey
04-13-2007, 09:35 AM
I do not normally post this type of gossip, but since this speculation is continuing, I will add my own rumor:

A member of my bowling team, who also owns a engineering firm, was at a town meeting near Waukesha and afterwards went to lunch with some of the supervisors and met up with Mark Chmura.

According to my friend, Chmura said that he was informed by current members of the GBP, that the Packers and Moss have a deal in principle on a three year restructured contract and that a deal was in place for a trade with the Raiders, but would not happen until Draft day and some other contracts were finished.

Wether this has any shred of truth, I do not know........

Brando19
04-13-2007, 10:14 AM
I do not normally post this type of gossip, but since this speculation is continuing, I will add my own rumor:

A member of my bowling team, who also owns a engineering firm, was at a town meeting near Waukesha and afterwards went to lunch with some of the supervisors and met up with Mark Chmura.

According to my friend, Chmura said that he was informed by current members of the GBP, that the Packers and Moss have a deal in principle on a three year restructured contract and that a deal was in place for a trade with the Raiders, but would not happen until Draft day and some other contracts were finished.

Why wait til draft day? Gosh the anticipation is killing me! I sure hope it's going down because if it doesn't...I'll be a depressed Green Bay fan on draft day.

Sparkey
04-13-2007, 10:38 AM
I have no idea? Like I said, this could all be rubbish.....

I can sort of see the Barnett contract being a part of the puzzle and from some other sources, sounds like the Raiders are still internally wrestling with who to draft with the 1st pick.

I am still not sold on Randy Moss helping the Pack be a better TEAM. Whatever happens, happens......Go Pack!

mraynrand
04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm not a Randy Moss fan at all, but you have to admit that the prospect of seeing Moss doing the Lambeau Leap in the south endzone is worth the possibility of all sorts of headaches.

Still, it's hard to imagine this deal happening given the principle players involved - Davis and TT. Davis is such a barnacle that he'll never admit that Moss is worth less than a #1. He's proven he'd rather waste/punish talent (Marcus Allen) than be proven wrong. TT on the other hand sets a limit on what a guy is worth and sticks with it. I'm guessing TT won't part with anything above a #3 for Moss (and he probably only wants to give up a #4).

There is some hope that the Weekend at Bernie's routine will finally fail, or the embalming fluid will run out, and Al Davis will formally be declared dead before the draft, but otherwise...NO DEAL.

MJZiggy
04-13-2007, 12:00 PM
There is some hope that the Weekend at Bernie's routine will finally fail, or the embalming fluid will run out, and Al Davis will formally be declared dead before the draft, but otherwise...NO DEAL.

:lol: :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2007, 12:27 PM

Just too funny. Mark Chmura? The guy that was ostracized by the team, and the guy who has no contacts with the team anymore. I heard Mossy Cade verified Chmura's report. You can count on Moss in a Packers uniform by draft day.

MadtownPacker
04-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Either way I like the idea of Moss catching destructive bombs in the end zone. I say they will be about 60-75 yarders. Favre likes playing Moss' game of go get it. If Moss can still go get it defenses will fall.

Merlin
04-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Favre can throw the rock quite a ways. And he does have a tendency to just hang it up there when everyone else is covered.

Chester Marcol
04-13-2007, 01:50 PM

It's funny you mention Chmura because I have a cousin who works at a Wisconsin grade school and he over heard a 12 year old girl talking about how Chmura showed up with a case of beer to her slumber parter with her other 12 year old girl freinds. He was hitting on everyone of them, bragging about how well he knew Brett Favre and how the Moss deal was already done.

Now, I usually don't put much weight in what a 12 year old girl says, but maybe their's something to it. Weird.

Brando19
04-13-2007, 01:52 PM

It's funny you mention Chmura because I have a cousin who works at a Wisconsin grade school and he over heard a 12 year old girl talking about how Chmura showed up with a case of beer to her slumber parter with her other 12 year old girl freinds. He was hitting on everyone of them, bragging about how well he knew Brett Favre and how the Moss deal was already done.

Now, I usually don't put much weight in what a 12 year old girl says, but maybe their's something to it. Weird.

Very strange and I don't believe it a bit. Weren't those allegations against him regarding the young girls false? Also, I don't think Favre and Chmura get along at all.

Zool
04-13-2007, 02:11 PM

Very strange and I don't believe it a bit. Weren't those allegations against him regarding the young girls false? Also, I don't think Favre and Chmura get along at all.I think it was meant as sarcasm Brando

Brando19
04-13-2007, 02:17 PM

Very strange and I don't believe it a bit. Weren't those allegations against him regarding the young girls false? Also, I don't think Favre and Chmura get along at all.I think it was meant as sarcasm Brando

Yes, I understand that. But I am seriously wondering if those allegations were proven false? Also...isn't it true that Chmura doesn't like Favre because he never called him during that time?

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Draft day is going to be exciting. When is someone going to post the draft day thread?

Chester Marcol
04-13-2007, 02:27 PM

Yes, I understand that. But I am seriously wondering if those allegations were proven false? Also...isn't it true that Chmura doesn't like Favre because he never called him during that time?

I believe not to long ago, maybe last year's retirement talk, when Chmura was asked about Brett retiring he said something along the lines that they didn't comunicate much.

He was acquitted of the rape charges, however he put himself in that position by being at a Prom party with girls who were underage. Here's a blurb from a jsonline article about it:

Mark Chmura said his behavior "wasn't something a married man should do." The former Packer said his "immature" behavior at the party was indicative of a raucous lifestyle led by many players in the NFL (http://www2.jsonline.com/news/wauk/chmura/feb01/chmura06020501.asp)

Brando19
04-13-2007, 02:31 PM

I believe not to long ago, maybe last year's retirement talk, when Chmura was asked about Brett retiring he said something along the lines that they didn't comunicate much.

He was acquitted of the rape charges, however he put himself in that position by being at a Prom party with girls who were underage. Here's a blurb from a jsonline article about it:

Mark Chmura said his behavior "wasn't something a married man should do." The former Packer said his "immature" behavior at the party was indicative of a raucous lifestyle led by many players in the NFL (http://www2.jsonline.com/news/wauk/chmura/feb01/chmura06020501.asp)

Oh, ok. Thanks for the info!

pbmax
04-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Not separated usually, occassionally a writer will take it out of the figure if he is trying to, say, move Moss to the Packers :wink:

And the number is the limit the of the salary cap impact your rookie class can have. Teams then find ways to push the money into other cap years.

Essentially, this is cap space you can't use for FAs or sign your own.

pbmax
04-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Denver also won two Super Bowls while cheating on the cap. Careful who you wish to emulate.

Come on Harvey, there is plenty of room to sign Moss. Denver figures out how to do it every year. Structure is all that matters.

pbmax
04-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Chester, your playing aleter ego might have been into the middle school social scene, but Chmura strictly hangs out with Wooderson at the High School hang outs.

pbmax
04-13-2007, 07:47 PM
2000 more words and those three posts would have been a Woodbuck thread :lol:

Just kidding Woodie!

packers11
04-13-2007, 07:58 PM
"Pretty solid sources" in the Raiders' organization reportedly say Calvin Johnson is atop the club's draft board by "a clear-cut margin."

This comes from ESPN's Len Pasquarelli; ESPN's Chris Mortensen said the same in a recent online chat. Pasquarelli contends the bigger debate is whether JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn is the top QB prospect.
Source: ESPN Insider
Related: Brady Quinn, JaMarcus Russell

b bulldog
04-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Well he definitely should be at the top of th list.

Pacopete4
04-14-2007, 02:51 AM
I really hope Favre said it.. and i really hope that it comes true.. it might put this packer team on the offensive side to the top.. i live in Superior, Wi and i hear from a ton of Viking fans constantly and they are so afraid we will get him because they know what probably will come from it.. favre needs it and so do the pack.. he will play beyond this year with moss..

pbmax
04-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Unless those sources are wearing a track suit and ladies glasses, then they aren't talking about the right draft chart. The only one that matters is the one in Al Davis' noggin.

PFT had Davis in love with Russell and the staff in love with Johnson.

Of course, both pieces could just be posturing.

LL2
04-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Of course, both pieces could just be posturing.

Everything is about posturing right now...2 weeks until draft day! C'mon hurry up!

Fritz
04-14-2007, 10:24 AM
LL2, I like the posturing of your avatar...

As for the Chmura rumors, even if he is talking to players, why does anyone think Nick Barnett or even Brett Favre knows anything? I doubt that TT would share anything, and any leaks would be speculative since even TT doesn't know what's gonna happen.

As someoe said, only Al Davis can guess and have some idea, and he probably doesn't even know yet what he's gonna do.

He does look like he's been dead for a couple years, doesn't he though?

oregonpackfan
04-14-2007, 12:20 PM
LL2,

Was that "Bunny" left in your Easter Basket? :)

woodbuck27
04-14-2007, 06:24 PM

plus. . .

the real possibility that Brett Favre will play a role in the acquisition of Randy Moss by restructuring his contract as well.

The fact that Favre and Moss have the same agent in Bus Cook could play a big role as well in this latest rumor.

I'd love to see it happen just for the upside it offers the Packers.

Joemailman
04-14-2007, 06:30 PM

As for the Chmura rumors, even if he is talking to players, why does anyone think Nick Barnett or even Brett Favre knows anything? I doubt that TT would share anything, and any leaks would be speculative since even TT doesn't know what's gonna happen.

As someoe said, only Al Davis can guess and have some idea, and he probably doesn't even know yet what he's gonna do.

What makes you say that? :D

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060103/060103_aldavis_vmed_9p.widec.jpg

woodbuck27
04-14-2007, 06:48 PM
I found this on PFT:

"A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that Packers quarterback Brett Favre is "100 percent certain" that Moss will be a Packer by the time the 2007 season starts."

What bothers me about this latest rumor is that.

A source with knowledge.

I'd prefer to read a quote fr. the horse's mouth. Especially when that horse is Brett Favre. :)

Rastak
04-14-2007, 07:04 PM

What makes you say that? :D

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060103/060103_aldavis_vmed_9p.widec.jpg

I'm not sure where I read it, but someone called Al a "Sleestak". Very funny reference to an early Saturday morning show in the 70's. I actually got the DVD for laughs a while back....

"Marshall, Will and Holly on a routine expedition....."

I wonder how many will even know what the hell I'm talking about..... :)

Anybody?

PlantPage55
04-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Land of the Lost....I got your back

Rastak
04-14-2007, 08:20 PM

Page and Plant were pretty popular at that time also...... :D

PlantPage55
04-15-2007, 12:50 AM

Page and Plant were pretty popular at that time also...... :D

That they were :D

Spaulding
04-15-2007, 10:32 AM
To quote from the immortal Anchorman movie, Brett is 60% sure that Moss will be signed 100% of the time by the Packers. :D

Merlin
04-15-2007, 11:42 AM
The whole thing about the "Moss Rumors" that has me excited is that the rumors haven't really subsided. TT came clean about the Raiders offer but didn't say he countered. Normally he doesn't address this stuff at all. He has been trying to be quiet about the whole thing. I think someone did "leak" something within the organization and everything else has been damage control. They have the same agent and that in and of itself could make it work. Normally we talk about rumors and they go away. This one hasn't.

My personal belief is that Randy Moss will be a Packer come draft day because for how much everyone has done to say "it isn't going to happen" and how many times the rumors keep coming around, TT is hiding something.

woodbuck27
04-17-2007, 02:12 PM
The whole thing about the "Moss Rumors" that has me excited is that the rumors haven't really subsided. TT came clean about the Raiders offer but didn't say he countered. Normally he doesn't address this stuff at all. He has been trying to be quiet about the whole thing. I think someone did "leak" something within the organization and everything else has been damage control. They have the same agent and that in and of itself could make it work. Normally we talk about rumors and they go away. This one hasn't.

My personal belief is that Randy Moss will be a Packer come draft day because for how much everyone has done to say "it isn't going to happen" and how many times the rumors keep coming around, TT is hiding something.

Ted Thompson has to do something to at least appear as though he's helping to make OUR 'O' competitive.

or does he?

packrulz
04-17-2007, 02:58 PM
I was listening to espn radio "The herd" (sp?), and he said Tampa Bay was willing to give up to 4 draft picks to move up 4 spots to take CJ. Personally, I think it's either flat out not true or TB is blowing a smokescreen about their love for CJ hoping a QB like Russell will drop to them. There's so much mind games and misinformation this time of year. If the trade did happen though Al Davis might be willing to let Moss go for a lower draft pick since he'll have plenty from TB anyway. It probably won't happen but I've seen big deals go down in the past, the Herschel Walker trade comes to mind. We'll see in 10 days.

Merlin
04-19-2007, 01:14 PM

Ted Thompson has to do something to at least appear as though he's helping to make OUR 'O' competitive.

or does he?

When has he EVER done anything to bolster the offense? Seems to me all he does is trade or release starters and replace them with never wases an rookies! Not that I think the o-line is bad but he only signed K-Rob and that was only because he has a woody for the guy.

woodbuck27
04-19-2007, 01:30 PM

or does he?

When has he EVER done anything to bolster the offense? Seems to me all he does is trade or release starters and replace them with never wases an rookies! Not that I think the o-line is bad but he only signed K-Rob and that was only because he has a woody for the guy.

My response today Merlin on another thread:

pittstang5 wrote:
I too agree that most of the Mocks are wrong about who TT is going to take. Lynch and/or Olsen are everybodies choice because it is by far the biggest "need" that the Packers have right now - RB and TE. Along with that, these guys will probably be available when the Pack picks. Makes sense to the common outsider, but not to some Packer fans because we know how TT works.

Although, I agree that a WR is needed. God knows that from the injury history the past couple years. I still think TT is going to go with defense in the first round. Who that will be is anyone's guess. But if you follow TT's history, it'll be the best player available - probably a CB or DE. I really think that if Revis is available at 16, TT will take him.

I tend to agree with this post.

TT won't draft for 'O' in round one unless possibly he trades down. If he goes with the 16th pick he'll elect to draft on 'D'.

Best player available on HIS board available to build OUR 'D' for the future.

I have never believed that he's in the let's do something to support Brett Favre camp. There is too much evidence to support that belief since he became our future. One day Brett Favre may reveal his true feelings about Ted Thompson? I can't believe they will be positive.

On Ted Thompson and support for Favre and OUR 'O':

If Ted Thompson makes a move soon to acquire Randy Moss then that would be a huge surprize to me. I don't expect that will happen.

Based on that belief and evidence, or his past inactivity on the offensive side of the ball. Why would he try to bring in an impact player on 'O' when that may only inspire or impact Favre's play positively and sustain his desire to play?

Many of you may disagree with me, but that is my position, one that would be very difficult to change now. As I maintain. Based in TT's lack of incentive to help OUR team on 'O' since he was hired.

Seeing this has been frustrating to me as a Packer fan. To use one of the greatest Packer players of all time this way, insults the great tradition and history of the Packer organization.

The worse insult is to Brett Favre who always gives so much. To other's on OUR 'O' who game in and game out can only try their best against the odds.

In really feel that this is Brett Favre's final campaign Packer fans.

So enjoy Favre's final games, as much as Ted Thompson and those behind his hiring and policy's will allow.

Merlin
04-19-2007, 01:39 PM
lol....

I responded to that post as well...haha

woodbuck27
04-19-2007, 03:30 PM
lol....

I responded to that post as well...haha

What can I say.

We're a couple of boooogers. :)

woodbuck27
04-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Then there is this news of a possible chance of a re-union bet. Cullpepper and Moss.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CHIEFS TRYING TO KEEP CULPEPPER FROM RAIDERS?

A reader has floated an interesting hypothesis regarding the delay in the trade of quarterback Trent Green from the Chiefs to the Dolphins.

Could it be that the Chiefs are trying to slow down the Fins' acquisition of Green so that the Raiders will have to continue to wait for a shot at Daunte Culpepper?

It's widely believed that if the Dolphins get Green they will cut Culpepper, who is due to earn $5.5 million in salary this season. The sooner Culpepper is cut, the sooner he can be signed by the Raiders. And that gives Oakland more time to get him ready for the 2007 season.

Maybe it's only a coincidence, but keep this fact in mind: When Green received permission to shop himself via trade, the sole limitation that Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson placed on the discussions was that Green could not talk to AFC West teams. Since the Chargers and Broncos have their starting quarterbacks in place, the restriction surely was intended for the one other AFC West team that is still looking.

Meanwhile, another reader pointed out to us that perhaps Peterson is holding out for a second-round pick for Green because the Fins held out two years ago for a second-round pick from the Chiefs for cornerback Patrick Surtain.

Little Whiskey
04-20-2007, 11:36 AM
what the hell is a raider jersey ad doing at the bottom of the page??

Bill Micheals (for what his opinion is worth) was saying last night on his talk show that the deal is off.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-21-2007, 07:59 PM
The Raiders have cut G Brad Badger and DE Lance Johnstone, creating $1.6 million in savings. - PTF

Maybe their still trying to keep Moss?

ND72
04-21-2007, 08:16 PM
IF Brett Favre has any knowledge of the Randy Mosss situation, the only person it could come from is from Bus Cook...who happens to represent both Favre and shares representation for Moss...so maybe Cook is saying something...who knows. My serious feeling, is the Raiders are going to end up taking Calvin Johnson, and then move Randy.

KYPack
04-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Did anyone catch that blurb from NFL Network?

they were saying that basically the Raiduz HAD to cut Moss to get any cap savings. if they trade him, his bonuses will hit their cap, but if they cut him, they'll save 7 -8 million on the cap.

I thought this was a pretty big story, but it was just presented matter of factly by NFLN.

ND72
04-21-2007, 09:20 PM
interesting...

retailguy
04-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Did anyone catch that blurb from NFL Network?

they were saying that basically the Raiduz HAD to cut Moss to get any cap savings. if they trade him, his bonuses will hit their cap, but if they cut him, they'll save 7 -8 million on the cap.

I thought this was a pretty big story, but it was just presented matter of factly by NFLN.

This kind of backs up the whole perspective that they aren't in a hurry to move him, nor do they have the 'incenctive' to move him as everyone here has convinced themselves.

Maybe Al Davis is just a bit more intelligent than the Packer fans in this forum?

Thanks for sharing this KY. I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense, more sense than most of the stuff floating around too....

Jimx29
04-22-2007, 01:59 AM
Moss burned the bridge quite well between him and fumblina. They will never be on the same team again