PDA

View Full Version : Lions to pick, then trade Johnson?

Brando19
04-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Also on PFT (kinda interesting):
As Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports, the Raiders are wrestling with the question of whether to take quarterback JaMarcus Russell or receiver Calvin Johnson with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. Owner Al Davis reportedly wants Russell, but offensive coordinator Greg Knapp -- who knows all too well the struggles relating to the development of a high-profile quarterback -- wants Johnson.

We're now told that, if the Raiders don't pick Johnson, the Lions plan to snare the Georgia Tech wideout with an eye toward promptly trading him.

It's a potential move that conjures memories of the deal that sent Eli Manning, the No. 1 pick in 2004, from the Chargers to the Giants for Philip Rivers, the No. 4 pick, and other picks that yielded linebacker Shawne Merriman and kicker Mate Kaeding.

Possible trade partners include the Buccaneers, the Redskins, the Vikings, and the Falcons. It's unlikely, however, that the Lions would swap Johnson to another NFC North team.

As to the Falcons, there is increased talk that the Atlanta football franchise would like to keep Johnson close to home.

ND72
04-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I have the feeling the Lions could make a ransom for CJ.

HarveyWallbangers
04-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I have the feeling the Lions could make a ransom for CJ.

That's fine. As long as Minnesota doesn't get him.

packrulz
04-13-2007, 04:54 AM
I think the Lions will just trade down, a lot of teams want to move up to the 2nd pick.

KYPack
04-14-2007, 09:11 AM
If Millen does it, it's got to be wrong.

BooHoo
04-14-2007, 09:25 AM
If Millen does it, it's got to be wrong.

You are a person with much insight! :)

esoxx
04-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Tampa Bay desperately wants CJ and I could see Detroit swapping w/ them and picking up some other picks in the process. Still think Oak will take him though.

Fritz
04-14-2007, 09:49 AM
If this happened, it would be a typical dumb Millen move. He'd be drafting the best player in the draft - a guy that has freakish athleticism, a guy that is a football player and not just an athlete, a high-character guy, and a guy that plays a position that is a playmaking position - and then dumping him for future picks (which Millen has proven he is not adept at using consistently).

This guy has the potential to be far better than T.O. - and without the baggage. I suppose one could argue that if Millen can get somebody's high second and third and next year's first (as well as this year's first) you could argue that Millen has positioned himself to fill a lot of holes. But a guy like Johnson seems like such a difference-maker that it'd be crazy to trade him.

What if the Pack was in the same position? Would you rather have, say, the fifth overall pick this year, plus someone else's second and third and next year's first, or would you rather have Calvin Johnson?

Alex, I'll take Calvin Johnson for everything, please.