PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't Bob Harlan Shoulder the Blame?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Dunno where I read it, but somewhere out there Harlan is saying he is satisfied with Ted Thompson.

WTF?

ND72
04-27-2006, 08:10 PM
do you really think he's going to say somethign negitive? I don't think i've EVER heard anything bad come out of Bob Harlan. I personally don't think Ted is doing a bad job, I in fact like what he's been doing. But don't expect Harlan to say anything. Harlan does his job, he "runs" the organization and company known as the Green Bay Packers, and keeps his nose out of the football aspect of it.
One big problem people had before and a while after Lombardi was here, was the committee on the board tried running things on teh field, which kept the team from doing well. so by Harlan staying away, he's doing a great job.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 08:12 PM
You can't ever believe anything Tank says. He doesn't hold up his end of a bargain.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 08:17 PM
You can't ever believe anything Tank says. He doesn't hold up his end of a bargain.

No, actually, i think i read what he said at jsonline. Harlan sounds as if Pack are still winning, and that THompson fielded a 12-4, instead of 4-12 team last season.

Any good top brass amongst top brass, in a similar situation as the Packers, would encourage the GM to make momentum moves in free agency, especaily if the team have $35 mil to spend.

Jerry Jones would. Dan Snyder would.

I think Harlan need to admit the mistake of hiring Thompson.

ND72
04-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Harlan might, but he does it right, behind closed doors inside Lambeau. Guys that come out and complain like Jones or Snyder are jokes, and people tend not to wanna coach or work for them...which they both have had issues with, cowboys had some ugly choices for coaches for a while there cause nobody wanted to work for Jones. I would rather hear the boss sound positive to us, but bitch behind the doors, where it belongs.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 08:23 PM

No, actually, i think i read what he said at jsonline. Harlan sounds as if Pack are still winning, and that THompson fielded a 12-4, instead of 4-12 team last season.

Any good top brass amongst top brass, in a similar situation as the Packers, would encourage the GM to make momentum moves in free agency, especaily if the team have $35 mil to spend.

Jerry Jones would. Dan Snyder would.

I think Harlan need to admit the mistake of hiring Thompson.No, actually you and I had a bargain and you've failed to hold up your end of it. No other argument you make has any merit.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 08:28 PM
No, actually you and I had a bargain and you've failed to hold up your end of it. No other argument you make has any merit.

dunno what ur talking about.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 08:34 PM
I would be lying if I tell you guys im not glad Harlan is leaving after this season. Much as I appreciate what Harlan has done for Packers, he is like a player who waited a bit too long to retire. As a consequence, the THompson hiring could end up diminishing Harlan's legacy somewhat.

ND72
04-27-2006, 08:36 PM
i'm not defending either of them...but you had to know at some point we'd have a losing season. in the way the NFL has set up, what he had done must have pissed off every person int he NFL offices. It was just bound to happen. And personally, i'm glad it did this year, cause damn, what a good draft to have to suck for.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 08:36 PM
No, actually you and I had a bargain and you've failed to hold up your end of it. No other argument you make has any merit.

dunno what ur talking about.You told me on jso that if Ted Thompson made one big-name draft signing you would give up some Kool-Aid. I've seen none from you at all.

KYPack
04-27-2006, 08:38 PM
The only mistake Harlan has made in his regime was naming Mike Sherman GM.

Tank's hero goes down as one of the worst packer GM's of all time.

Actually, his second mistake was taking too long to fire Sherm as GM.

ND72
04-27-2006, 08:39 PM
actually Wolf hired Sherman as the GM. He appointed him.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Then move the 2nd up to the #1 spot. Waitin' on some Kool-aid.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 08:48 PM
i'm not defending either of them...but you had to know at some point we'd have a losing season. in the way the NFL has set up, what he had done must have pissed off every person int he NFL offices. It was just bound to happen. And personally, i'm glad it did this year, cause damn, what a good draft to have to suck for.

The hiring of Thompson is creating a negative domino effect on the whole Packers organization. It all started when Thompson dismantled the offense. One thing leads to another and eventually the Packers ended up with 4-12. Now most top-tier free agents refuse to play in Green Bay because, in term of winning, playing in Green Bay is a lost cause.

The opportunity to win another Super Bowl was there when Sherman got dethroned as GM. Ted Thompson passed it up when he decided that he wanted to rebuild the Packers eons before the end of the Favre era.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 08:50 PM

dunno what ur talking about.You told me on jso that if Ted Thompson made one big-name draft signing you would give up some Kool-Aid. I've seen none from you at all.

What? where did i say that? Dont wanna should like Campbell but if you can, please show me the qoute of where i said that.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 08:51 PM
The opportunity to win another Super Bowl was there when Sherman got dethroned as GM.

You mean fired. GMs don't get fired if they're doing excellent work. Pay up.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 08:54 PM

What? where did i say that? Dont wanna should like Campbell but if you can, please show me the qoute of where i said that.You said it on jso when I got tired of hearing you bashing TT and we bargained for over half a page as to what exactly it would take to get you to sip a little kool-aid. I finally got you to agree to a little kool-aid if he signed someone big. Woodson is big. Pay up.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 08:55 PM
The opportunity to win another Super Bowl was there when Sherman got dethroned as GM.

You mean fired. GMs don't get fired if they're doing excellent work. Pay up.

Sherman was doing excellent work. If you dont think Sherman did good, then ask yourself this: Sherman got fired for going 10-6; Ted Thompson went 4-12; Ted Thompson have a worst record; Therefore isn't it, then, logical that Ted Thompson be fired too?

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 08:58 PM
No, because Thompson took over Sherman's team. Letting two people go off of a team does not make a 6-loss differential unless there are serious personnel problems already in place. My kool-aid now?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 09:03 PM
No, because Thompson took over Sherman's team. Letting two people go off of a team does not make a 6-loss differential unless there are serious personnel problems already in place. My kool-aid now?

You must have been watching a wrong Packers team last season. The OL was clearly the weakest link on the offense, and the reason why the offense fell from top #3 to almost dead last.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 09:07 PM
The OL was far from their only problem. Now about that Kool-aid.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 09:10 PM
The OL was far from their only problem. Now about that Kool-aid.

Not yet. As the saying go. "even a blind squirrel can find a acorn once in awhile"

Translate: even a terrible GM can find a player once in a while, especially if he has $35 mil.