PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't the packers look at D.Hall FOR KR/PR?!!?

packers11
04-13-2007, 09:47 AM
www.rotoworld.com

The Chiefs may release Dante Hall if they can't find a trading partner for him.

A team may give up a seventh-round pick for Hall on draft day, but we doubt Kansas City could do much better than that. It looks like his days in Kansas City are done.
Source: Kansas City Star

Doesn't the packers have 3 seventh round draft picks... SEND 1 over there, and we can get a decent KR/PR... There would not be much risk in sending a 7th over there, and we all know D.Hall is a beast on special teams...
(hes tried to play wr, but hes not that good at it)...

Thoughts???

MJZiggy
04-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Why not just wait and see if he gets released?

ND72
04-13-2007, 10:25 AM
I would wait too...plus of our 3 7th rounders, we can't trade the compensatory pick, so we "only" have 2 to trade.

Partial
04-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I'd take a solid #4 best returner in the league for a 6th gladly.

MTPackerfan
04-13-2007, 10:43 AM
How much does he have left in the tank? Why are the Chiefs wanting to get rid of him? Is it a salary issue or playing ability issue?

I'm all for it if we can pick him up for a 7th rd pick or even after they release him

retailguy
04-13-2007, 11:01 AM
What happened to "build through the draft". Don't you get "ALL" of your good guys through the draft? Shouldn't we use that 6th or 7th rounder on some "sleeper" that'll be the next Marquise Colston?

Really, what's the difference? You've all been saying, "we need to play with the guys we've got". OK, you've convinced me. Let's do it.... :P

Partial
04-13-2007, 11:08 AM
What happened to "build through the draft". Don't you get "ALL" of your good guys through the draft? Shouldn't we use that 6th or 7th rounder on some "sleeper" that'll be the next Marquise Colston?

Really, what's the difference? You've all been saying, "we need to play with the guys we've got". OK, you've convinced me. Let's do it.... :P

It's all about relative value. Ahman was an awful value at the price we would have had to pay. This guy can be brought in for a year or two relatively cheap.

retailguy
04-13-2007, 11:24 AM

It's all about relative value. Ahman was an awful value at the price we would have had to pay. This guy can be brought in for a year or two relatively cheap.

How do you know that? You can assume that, just like you can assume that Green was a bad value. Point is, no one knows. You can't remove risk on these transactions. If you could, every Tom, Dick, or Harry would get traded.

No one would trade a "superstar" kr/pr in the normal course of business. There is a reason he's available. There is risk behind that reason. Relatively cheap might be flushing money down the drain.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Hall has sucked the last two years. He's averaged around 8 yards/punt return and 22 yards/kickoff return, and he's virtually worthless as a receiver now. He seems to have gotten old in a hurry. Could he resurrect his career? Sure. But he's not near the player he once was. That's why KC wants to get rid of him.

Lurker64
04-13-2007, 12:45 PM
These sorts of things are why I really don't trust message boards to make good football decisions. I doubt any of us has watched a lot of Hall tape in the past couple years. I know I haven't watched more than one or two Chiefs games in that time. So we mostly remember what was good about Hall when he was making the highlight reel on ESPN and don't really have a good sense (myself included) about what's wrong with him.

If I could get Hall in his prime for a 7th, I would in a second. Pretty much any NFL team with a 7th round pick would. But I don't know what's wrong with him now, and that's why I'm confident in relying on the judgment of Thompson et. al., since those folks are paid to know these things. So in general I encourage exercising caution. There's no need to shed tears over not signing Hall, and there's really no reason to print superbowl tickets if we do sign him. As best I can tell he's not a difference maker anymore, he's just a guy.

Merlin
04-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Ahman Green has been a starter for the past 7 years, Dante Hall has been a starter for the past 7 years (KR/PR).

You are right, it is all relative. I would rather have Green @ 5 Mil/year then a one dimensional player that only sees the field maybe 30 times a season for 2Mil/year and a draft pick. He is worthless as a receiver and he can only do one thing and we can pick up someone else to do that cheap.

packers11
04-13-2007, 01:19 PM
These sorts of things are why I really don't trust message boards to make good football decisions. I doubt any of us has watched a lot of Hall tape in the past couple years. I know I haven't watched more than one or two Chiefs games in that time. So we mostly remember what was good about Hall when he was making the highlight reel on ESPN and don't really have a good sense (myself included) about what's wrong with him.

If I could get Hall in his prime for a 7th, I would in a second. Pretty much any NFL team with a 7th round pick would. But I don't know what's wrong with him now, and that's why I'm confident in relying on the judgment of Thompson et. al., since those folks are paid to know these things. So in general I encourage exercising caution. There's no need to shed tears over not signing Hall, and there's really no reason to print superbowl tickets if we do sign him. As best I can tell he's not a difference maker anymore, he's just a guy.

KR -
Yds Avg Lg TD 40+
1207 22.8 60 0 3

PR-
Ret Yds Avg Lg TD 20+
240 8.9 60 1 4

HIS WORST YEAR IS STILL BETTER THAN ANYONE ON THE PACKERS... Plus I have NFL ticket, I watch some of thier games, hes still good...

HES NOT JUST A GUY.. OVER 5 years we have had "just a guy" at KR... Yea , the special teams have blew ass for the past 5 years also...

"He is worthless as a receiver and he can only do one thing and we can pick up someone else to do that cheap."

Chatman... Fergy... Herron... All the crapshoots we put at KR... They did real great for our KR/PR...

FritzDontBlitz
04-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Ahman Green has been a starter for the past 7 years, Dante Hall has been a starter for the past 7 years (KR/PR).

You are right, it is all relative. I would rather have Green @ 5 Mil/year then a one dimensional player that only sees the field maybe 30 times a season for 2Mil/year and a draft pick. He is worthless as a receiver and he can only do one thing and we can pick up someone else to do that cheap.

yeah, signing cheap return men has worked well for the pack since they decided to let allen rossum walk.

:roll:

packers11
04-13-2007, 03:38 PM
yeah, signing cheap return men has worked well for the pack since they decided to let allen rossum walk.

:roll:

Yea that worked really well... :doh:

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2007, 06:42 PM

KR -
Yds Avg Lg TD 40+
1207 22.8 60 0 3

PR-
Ret Yds Avg Lg TD 20+
240 8.9 60 1 4

HIS WORST YEAR IS STILL BETTER THAN ANYONE ON THE PACKERS... Plus I have NFL ticket, I watch some of thier games, hes still good...

HES NOT JUST A GUY.. OVER 5 years we have had "just a guy" at KR... Yea , the special teams have blew ass for the past 5 years also...

"He is worthless as a receiver and he can only do one thing and we can pick up someone else to do that cheap."

Chatman... Fergy... Herron... All the crapshoots we put at KR... They did real great for our KR/PR...

Look at his punt return average in 2005. It was under 7 yards/return, so it wasn't necessarily his worst year. And to say his worst year is better than anyone on the Packers is shady also--since Woodson and Morency's return averages were virtually the same as Hall (Woodson was even, in fact, better).

packers11
04-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Harvey... My point is... Why have our "top cb" as a PR/KR... Woodson got very lucky last year because he did jacked up a lot... I thought for sure he was going to be injured...

Lets say Woodson goes down... Whos going to fill the #2...

My point is HALL can be acquired for a cheap price... And if he goes down.. WHO CARES!

Is a seventh round pick that valuable to you guys... He might even be released, and i'm sure he is not going to get paid a lot...

I'm just saying... hes better than "the average guy" the packers usually try putting on special teams...

In 2005 he might of had a bad punting average then previous years but his KR average was pretty good... And he actually scored a TD on a KICKOFF (Who was the last person to do that??? The last special teams return, was chatman two years ago punt return against the bears...) I believe....

Dante Hall - 2005 KR STATS
Avg Lg TD 40+
24.0 96 1 6

4and12to12and4
04-13-2007, 07:09 PM
I watched four Chiefs games last year, plus the postseason game, of course, and was actually surprised at his lack of burst. I remember watching him in his prime, and it was just like watching Hester last year. It seemed like every time he caught a kickoff he was one block or shoestring tackle from a touchdown. The Dante Hall I saw last year was VERY average back there. I was suprised how much he lost.

The strange thing was that it seemed like he still had good speed, he just wasn't making those ridiculous Barry Sanders-like cuts and jukes where he would leave a guy looking like an idiot in the open field. I was disappointed to see his demise, and I believe that Woodson is currently better than him.

It would be nice to have a Hester, but, I'd rather just give the ball to someone who COULD break one, but will probably get you a decent run and HOLD ON TO THE BALL.

I'd like to see the stat showing how many times Hester fumbled just to be bailed out by a teammate, or his own quickness to get the ball back. He mishandled ALOT last year, including the Superbowl, but was very lucky. Give me a guy who holds onto the ball, and let the offense do what they're paid to do. I know, Desmond all but won the damn Superbowl for us, so this is all crap, but, believe me, Hall's got nothin' left. I wouldn't give up ANY draft choice for him. I wouldn't even waste a receiver's roster spot on him. He's not worth it.

BF4MVP
04-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Meh, Hall's nothing special anymore.. 8.9 PR avg, and 22.8 KR avg..Nowhere near the dominant return man he used to be..

pbmax
04-13-2007, 07:26 PM
He is in decline and the numbers will continue to fall. Plus he is going to be much more expensive than the nobodies on the Packers he is about to fall behind as he declines. Eighth year, fifth round draft pick, he is on at least his third contract. Herman Edwards can be a bad coach, but he and Peterson are not dumb. Only if he clears waivers.

Kick Returns
Year......Team..........................G........N o.......Yds.......Avg.......Lg.......TD....40+.... ...
2000.....Kansas City Chiefs.......5........17........358.......21.1.... ...36........0.......0.......
2001.....Kansas City Chiefs.......13.......43.......969.......22.5..... ..71........0.......3.......
2002.....Kansas City Chiefs.......16.......57.......1354.....23.8...... .88........1.......5.......
2003.....Kansas City Chiefs.......16.......57.......1478.....25.9...... .100......2.......9.......
2004.....Kansas City Chiefs.......16.......68.......1718.....25.3...... .97........2.......6.......
2005.....Kansas City Chiefs.......16.......65.......1560.....24.0...... .96........1.......6.......
2006.....Kansas City Chiefs.......15.......53.......1207.....22.8...... .60........0.......3.......
TOTAL......................................97..... ..360......8644....24.0.......100......6.......32. ......

Punt Returns
Year.......Team..........................G........ Ret.......FC....Ret Yds.....Avg.......Lg......TD....20+.......
2000......Kansas City Chiefs.......5.........6.........5.......37....... .......6.2.........22.......0.......1.......
2001......Kansas City Chiefs.......13.......32.......6.......235........ ....7.3.........26.......0.......1.......
2002......Kansas City Chiefs.......16.......29.......11.....390......... ...13.4.......90.......2.......3.......
2003......Kansas City Chiefs.......16.......29.......14.....472......... ...16.3.......93.......2.......8.......
2004......Kansas City Chiefs.......16.......23.......17.....232......... ...10.1.......46.......0.......4.......
2005......Kansas City Chiefs.......16.......42.......6.......276........ ....6.6.........52.......0.......2.......
2006......Kansas City Chiefs.......15.......27.......6.......240........ ....8.9.........60.......1.......4.......
TOTAL.......................................97.... ...188......65....1882..........10.0.......93..... ..5.......23.......

pbmax
04-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Salary History

Merlin
04-15-2007, 11:51 AM
I just don't think Hall is anything special anymore. Certainly not worth 2 mil a year. I am not saying that we have had good luck with our return position (although Robinson looked pretty good last year when he was there).

packerbacker1234
04-16-2007, 04:37 PM
2million reasons why, He'll want 2mil just to do returns. F that. He wont be used in the passing game as he isn't any better then 80% of our recievers on the roster. I wont overpay for someone to touch the ball 5 times a game.