PDA

View Full Version : Sony WEGA vs. Samsung DLP HELP!!!!!

gbpackfan
04-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Guys (and girls), I need your help.

I am about to buy a new HDTV and have narrowed it down to 2. The Sony Grand Wega 50" or the Samsung DLP 50". I have done some research and have questions about both. I've heard that the Samsung has darker blacks but the Sony has better colors. I also read that the Sony's display standard channels MUCH better then the Samsung. And since 95% of channels are still standard (not HD) this is kind of important. I also heard problems with both and their reliability. AHHHH! If you have one of these TVs or have some info to share, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

GoPackGo
04-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Those are both great choices. I have had a 42" Sony Grand WEGA for 2 years and I love it. Just make sure you get an HD receiver to hook up to whichever TV you buy.

LL2
04-13-2007, 03:41 PM
I have the Samsung 56 DLP 1080p and love it. Yes, the non HD channels are not so great, but not worse than watching them on non HD TV’s. I think the color is vibrant and very sharp. The HD channels are really good. I think the channel to check whether or not you like the HDTV is the Discovery’s HD channel. The reason is that when you are watching nature scenes there are so many colors and different textures and shapes. On my TV all of the detail is very crisp. I watch this past SB on it and you could see every blade of grass and the rain drops on the players helmets. The down side with the DLP is that fast motion pictures sometimes gets slightly blurred but you rarely notice it or see it at all. If money wasn’t an option I would’ve got the Sony Bravia. Do not get a 720p. The picture will be better than what you have now, but not as good as 1080i or 1080p. Nothing is broadcast or produced in 1080p so mine is a little future proof. I think for the money the Samsung DLP is a great way to go, the best but more money is a LCD HDTV. Go to gottadeal.com. You can often find who is having good deals on what. I found mine on there and got Best Buy to price match. They gave me $300 off plus a $300 gift card. Which TV is great HDTV is very subjective though, because you can get 100 different opinions. I would get it over the WEGA though.

LL2
04-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Those are both great choices. I have had a 42" Sony Grand WEGA for 2 years and I love it. Just make sure you get an HD receiver to hook up to whichever TV you buy.

With the DLP you will not need a receiver.

Partial
04-13-2007, 03:57 PM
What kind of entertainment do you intend to watch? That would be my primary question. Don't go to like BB or Sears and let them identify your needs. They will lie through their teeth.

Each type (plasma, lcd, dlp) has their upsides and their downfalls. The DLP HD2+ chips or newer chips are very, very nice. You can see the rainbow effect pretty bad on the original HD2 chips, but I have never noticed on the HD3 or the HD2+.

gbpackfan
04-13-2007, 04:02 PM
I watch a variety of shows. Football, movies, nature shows are all fun for my wife and I to watch.

Partial
04-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I watch a variety of shows. Football, movies, nature shows are all fun for my wife and I to watch.

DLP is probably going to be the best for moving pictures.

LCD is much better for moving pictures now-a-days, but still has some latency issues w/ very fast images.

Plasma is very expensive and wears out the fastest but has the best picture.

In my opinion, I would go DLP if you've got the extra room. Or better yet, do a little research on OLED and SED and determine if they sound worth waiting for.

Ultimately, do your homework. That is the best way to go. In terms of shopping for them, if you're near Milwaukee Flanners Audio and Video cannot be beat in terms of service. I recommend steering clear of the big national chain stores and look for a small business locally, they will probably have better prices.

LL2
04-13-2007, 04:16 PM
[quote=gbpackfan]
I recommend steering clear of the big national chain stores and look for a small business locally, they will probably have better prices.

Unless you do some wheeling and dealing like I did. They will not want to lose any business.

GoPackGo
04-13-2007, 09:56 PM

With the DLP you will not need a receiver.

for over the air HD local channels you don't need an HD reciever, for HD direct tv channels or whatever HD cable provider channels you do.

Scott Campbell
04-14-2007, 12:26 AM

In my opinion, I would go DLP if you've got the extra room. Or better yet, do a little research on OLED and SED and determine if they sound worth waiting for.

My opinion:

Old style rear projection CRT's have the best picture. But you can't buy them anymore. They're bulky and heavy, and that's why they fell out of favor.

If it's a very dark large room, go with a projector.

If you're hooking up to a PC or Blue Ray/HD DVD, go with LCD 1080P.

Otherwise I like Plasma. 720P or 1080i is fine, becasue broadcast television is years and years away from 1080P broadcasts. Panasonic or Pioneer make some of the best bang for the buck models - especially in 50". Fujitso and Runco are the best - incrementally better, but more than twice the price. Plasma's don't burn in like they used to, and they now last longer as well.

You have to replace bulbs on DLP's, and I personally just don't want to deal with that.

Here's an excellent resource. Warning - you could spend months there making up your mind.

http://www.avsforum.com/

Rastak
04-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Guys (and girls), I need your help.

I am about to buy a new HDTV and have narrowed it down to 2. The Sony Grand Wega 50" or the Samsung DLP 50". I have done some research and have questions about both. I've heard that the Samsung has darker blacks but the Sony has better colors. I also read that the Sony's display standard channels MUCH better then the Samsung. And since 95% of channels are still standard (not HD) this is kind of important. I also heard problems with both and their reliability. AHHHH! If you have one of these TVs or have some info to share, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Sammy DLP is the hands down choice in my opinion. I went through this exercise a couple years ago and for HDTV the sammy 4th gen chipset was absolutely the best. Standard Def sucks, so be prepared to stop watching that crap but HDTV it's outstanding.

Rastak
04-14-2007, 12:54 AM

My opinion:

Old style rear projection CRT's have the best picture. But you can't buy them anymore. They're bulky and heavy, and that's why they fell out of favor.

If it's a very dark large room, go with a projector.

If you're hooking up to a PC or Blue Ray/HD DVD, go with LCD 1080P.

Otherwise I like Plasma. 720P or 1080i is fine, becasue broadcast television is years and years away from 1080P broadcasts. Panasonic or Pioneer make some of the best bang for the buck models - especially in 50". Fujitso and Runco are the best - incrementally better, but more than twice the price. Plasma's don't burn in like they used to, and they now last longer as well.

You have to replace bulbs on DLP's, and I personally just don't want to deal with that.

Here's an excellent resource. Warning - you could spend months there making up your mind.

http://www.avsforum.com/

Agree on the bulbs on DLP....but it depends on two things...if you have a warrenty you can get them replaced before it expires....or, in my case the thing is turned off alot. I do NOT watch much TV...sports during football season, a movie here and there and some Wii and Xbox 360 a few times a week so I have a feeling my DLP bulbs will last a LONGGGGGG time.

Guiness
04-14-2007, 05:20 AM
I second the suggestion of going to avsforum. It recently helped me make my decision - I ended up with an LG LCD because it would do the best job of displaying computer output. They do proper 1:1 pixel mapping.

One thing I can say is make sure you go and look at them, and compare them side by side if at all possible. I had it narrowed down to a Sony rear projection LCD and a flat screen lcd - I went to the store, and had them wheel over the flat screen and put it beside the projection, and settled on the projection.

One thing I learned at avs is that a lot of the problems with early plasmas are gone. They're pretty much immune to burn in, and lifespan is over 30 000hrs. Prices have dropped drastically. And after looking at them, there is no question that they have the best picture.