View Full Version : For LW

MJZiggy
04-14-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=95183303

The Effect of Country Music on Suicide

STEVEN STACK, Wayne State University
JIM GUNDLACH, Auburn University

Abstract

This article assesses the link between country music and metropolitan suicide rates.
Country music is hypothesized to nurture a suicidal mood through its concerns with problems common in the suicidal population, such as marital discord, alcohol abuse, and alienation from work. The results of a multiple regression analysis of 49 metropolitan areas show that the greater the airtime devoted to country music, the greater the white suicide rate. The effect is independent of divorce, southernness, poverty, and gun availability. The existence of a country music subculture is thought to reinforce the link between country music and suicide. Our model explains 51% of the variance in urban white suicide rates.

Sociological work on the relationship between art and society has been largely restricted to speculative, sociohistorical theories that are often mutually opposed. Some theorists see art as creating social structure ( Adorno 1973), while Sorokin ( 1937 ) suggests that society and art are manifested in cyclical autonomous spheres; and still others contend that art is a reflection of social structure ( Albrecht 1954). Little empirical work has been done on the impact of music on social problems. While some research has linked music to criminal behavior ( Singer, Levine & Jou 1990), the relationship between music and suicide remains largely unexplored. Music is not mentioned in reviews of the literature on suicide ( Lester 1983; Stack 1982, 1990b); instead, the impact of art on suicide has been largely restricted to analyses of television movies and soap operas (for a review, see Stack 1990b).

In this article, we explore the link between a particular form of popular
music (country music) and metropolitan suicide rates. We contend that the
themes found in country music foster a suicidal mood among people already at risk of suicide and that it is thereby associated with a high suicide rate. The effect is buttressed by the country subculture and a link between this subculture and a racial status related to an increased suicide risk.
grateful to Richard Peterson for his inspirations and helpful discussions, to the anonymous
reviewers for their probing reviews, and to Mitch Henry for his help in gathering the data on
country music. Direct correspondence to Steven Stack, Department of Sociology, Wayne State
University, Detroit, MI 48202.

oregonpackfan
04-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Interesting article. I have to counter, however, that years of fantasizing about Dolly Parton did not result in me being suicidal! Quite the opposite, it left me hopeful! :)

I wonder if the same research group has done a suicide correlation study between Blues music and the African-American community. If there is supposedly a suicide link between whites and country music, perhaps there might be a link between blacks and blues music.

A big part of me, however, remains unconvinced there is a significant correlation at all. Perhaps the two groups, whites with country and blacks with blues, are just using that form of music to voice the challenges they face with life.

MJZiggy
04-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Perhaps the two groups, whites with country and blacks with blues, are just using that form of music to voice the challenges they face with life.

Could be, really I just posted it because I thought LW would get a laugh out of it, but then I haven't seen him for a while...I hope he hasn't been listening to too much country music!! :shock:

pacfan
04-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Maybe Country Music should be considered harmful to our moral fiber like hip-hop pr Rap :P .

HarveyWallbangers
04-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Pretty amazing what folks at our universities come up with. Probably wasted a good chunk of research money on that.

Joemailman
04-14-2007, 04:49 PM
I wonder what country music they're referring to. Most of the stuff played on mainstream country music stations today is bland crap that doesn't deal with marital discord and alcohol abuse much. It's pretty much just pop music sung with a twang.

Jimx29
04-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Pretty amazing what folks at our universities come up with. Probably wasted a good chunk of research money on that.Beat me to the punch Harv....wouldn't wanna waste any time/money of a cure for cancer

MJZiggy
04-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Pretty amazing what folks at our universities come up with. Probably wasted a good chunk of research money on that.

It's better than the toilet paper study. :?

Little Whiskey
04-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Could be, really I just posted it because I thought LW would get a laugh out of it, but then I haven't seen him for a while...I hope he hasn't been listening to too much country music!! :shock:

thanks for the concern zig :roll:

its not country music that kills people its them damn guns!!.....or pills.....or rope.....maybe Carbon Monoxide. lets ban them all :lol:

speaking of country music....have you guys heard the new song by brad paisley? ticks. rather funny. like most of his songs.

CaptainKickass
04-16-2007, 03:03 PM
A persons propensity to commit suicide or any other act of malice cannot be linked to any form of art.

Art imitates life - not the other way around.

Go do some research on Al Gore's wife "Tipper Gore" and her relationship to the PMRC and the religious right campaign called "The truth about rock" which attempted to scare parents into a crusade against successful rock and metal musicians like Kiss, Metallica, AC/DC and Judas Priest. The crusade claimed that the blame for teen suicides and malicious acts lies with the artists and their lyrical content.

It's all BS - bigtime.

If a person has the disposition to commit suicide - the type and brand of music they listen to is not going to be a factor in their decision.

Music moves emotions - but only on the level where a person identifies with the song on some level.

You're in love? - that new "love song" you heard on the soft rock station has new meaning to you, but the song itself in fact - was not responsible for you actually falling in love.

The whole concept is beyond ridiculous.

Little Whiskey
04-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I thought it was only if you play the music backwards. its a good thing that i never spun the records in reverse.

CaptainKickass
04-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Well -

In the case of Country music - playing it backwards means you get your wife back, your dog back, your truck back....etc etc.

But with Rock and/or Metal ther's 2 possible outcomes.

BACKWARDS:
Play it backwards to hear a message recorded backwards by the artist in the studio. This is called backmasking. Do this if you wish to hear Satan.

78 SPEED:
Only the bastards and bastardettes old enough to have owned Vinyl and a slight familiarity with Cheech and Chong will know that:

"If you play Black Sabbath at 78 speed - you'll see God".

:lol: :lol:

MJZiggy
04-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Well -

In the case of Country music - playing it backwards means you get your wife back, your dog back, your truck back....etc etc.

Hahahahaha :glug:

Iron Mike
04-17-2007, 06:29 PM
BACKWARDS:
Play it backwards to hear a message recorded backwards by the artist in the studio. This is called backmasking. Do this if you wish to hear Satan.
:lol: :lol:

LMFAO.....listen to the Britney Spears' track backwards:

http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm