PDA

View Full Version : Called my Buddy...

ND72
04-27-2006, 08:31 PM
...Ok, so i tried to get some info from my buddy up in lambeau...but he's pretty tight lipped now. He said he HONESTLY doesn't know who they like, because a lot of guys are ranked right about the same for them. He told me again, don't expect a QB, or for that fact, don't expect Offense in round 1, unless they really feel Vernon Davis is the guy. which he said, he has no clue about. he did say they were all "pumped" about getting charles woodson and would like to get another playmaker on defense in the 1st round to really solidfy that defense. but, again, if they take Vernon, his "feeling" is they could still find a good Defensive playmaker in round 2, just not the same impact as pick #5

He said he, in the last week, has really been doing a lot of game tape on Offensive lineman, which is a "no brainer". He did say with their #2 pick, expect a "value" type guy cause there could be a lot of potential #1's slipping to them.

More than anything, lately, they haven't really "eyed" guys, they are really watching a lot of tape, getting a lot of notes, and letting guys come to them and get the best possible situations happen with each pick. Not just expecting to get this guy, or going after that guy. They want to "play the game of the NFL Draft, and come out as the very best".

He did say there is a new sense of "excitement" around Lambeau, especially since Brett decided to come back, and Charles Woodson. He said even Rodgers is happy Brett is coming back, and Rodgers has really been working hard this offseason in learning the new system.

My buddy said Woodson REALLY wanted to come to GB from the start, but was comfy with TB, which is why he took a little while to make a decision, but told Ted Thompson he's a Packer, and he's DAMNED proud of it. He said there is a very good feelign with players/coaches/etc. with guys coming in, getting some top talent now in the draft.

so that's what i got...which...well it's not much. AGAIN, i've said it before, take this as you want it. I'm just friends with a guy who is like the bottom of the totum pole, so he doesn't have much, or might not even be right, but just what he's seen lately. He does keep telling me, what he says tonight, can easily change as of 11am saturday based on other teams.

BooHoo
04-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks much for the info. I enjoyed reading.

I am happy that Brett is back and Woodson is signed.

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Wow,

Value picks? Letting the draft come to them and taking the BEST PLAYER. Not eyeing certain positions or players but grading the whole class so your prepared for whoevers best when they pick. I think it makes a lot of sense and that is the main reason I like Thompson a whole hell of a lot more than Mike Sherman.

ND72
04-27-2006, 08:40 PM
what a concept huh?

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 08:43 PM
You mean we're not trading the whole draft away for a long snapper?

BooHoo
04-27-2006, 08:44 PM
what a concept huh?

This is why it is so hard to predict who the pack will select. We basically know the team needs but that is not how they draft. Makes it interesting. Hoping this year's draft works out better (in short run) than last year.

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 08:44 PM
BTW,

I completely believe you when you say you have a friend inside becuase there is no way you came up with this on your own. You are completely against what was just spoken and could not have concocted those statements if you tried. It is exactly what Thompson has been saying since he's gotten here if people acctually listened. It is exactly what I have expected to happen since the off-season began.

To your credit; The old theory you had on how drafts are conducted is exactly how Sherman used to run the draft. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that your buddy got to witness Shermans awfull drafts and that is how you got those tainted ideas of how a draft is acctually run.

Sorry ND, any sarcasm and anger is directed at Mike Sherman the GM.

CyclonePackFan
04-27-2006, 08:46 PM
what a concept huh?

This is why it is so hard to predict who the pack will select. We basically know the team needs but that is not how they draft. Makes it interesting. Hoping this year's draft works out better (in short run) than last year.

Even when we knew the team needs we had no idea who they were going to draft. Honestly, how many people thought we were going to take Nick Barnett? I had never even heard of him before Tags called his name. Same with Ahmad Carroll.

ND72
04-27-2006, 08:47 PM
well my buddy was the one who told Sherman that Carroll is a huge risk....In fact i still have his scouting report in a file around here that he made on Carroll. Strength #1, speed Strength #2, athletic ... Weakness #1, Penalty prone Weakness #2, cocky

does that about sum it up about Carroll.

ND72
04-27-2006, 08:48 PM
what a concept huh?

Even when we knew the team needs we had no idea who they were going to draft. Honestly, how many people thought we were going to take Nick Barnett? I had never even heard of him before Tags called his name. Same with Ahmad Carroll.

NO KIDDING...Nick Barnett, i was waiting to hear Boss Bailey. Ahmad Carroll, i was waiting for Chris Gamble...WHO WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN!

CyclonePackFan
04-27-2006, 08:53 PM
what a concept huh?

NO KIDDING...Nick Barnett, i was waiting to hear Boss Bailey. Ahmad Carroll, i was waiting for Chris Gamble...WHO WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN!

I was sure we were going to take E.J. Henderson. Same with Gamble. All in all, though, I think Barnett probably was the best pick of the three. (Henderson, Barnett, and Bailey I mean) Classic example of the pitfalls of drafting for need. That was a really weak LB draft, but that's what we needed and everybody knew it.

Charles Woodson
04-27-2006, 09:07 PM
what a concept huh?

u noe i thought i was the only one who thought we were gana take bailey. Glad we didnt now. Where is that sob?

Bossman641
04-27-2006, 09:14 PM
what a concept huh?

I was sure we were going to take E.J. Henderson. Same with Gamble. All in all, though, I think Barnett probably was the best pick of the three. (Henderson, Barnett, and Bailey I mean) Classic example of the pitfalls of drafting for need. That was a really weak LB draft, but that's what we needed and everybody knew it.
I was actually thinking of this the other day. I really thought we were gonna take EJ Henderson. To me he seemed like a no-brainer. When Barnett's name was called I was shocked.

It's weird to think that Barnett was the first LB taken in that draft and he was taken at pick 29 or so. What other LB's were picked later besides Boss Bailey and EJ Henderson. Any players?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Wow,

Value picks? Letting the draft come to them and taking the BEST PLAYER. Not eyeing certain positions or players but grading the whole class so your prepared for whoevers best when they pick. I think it makes a lot of sense and that is the main reason I like Thompson a whole hell of a lot more than Mike Sherman.

In my mind, drafting the best player available in the top 3 rds is stupid.

Say, you have Barry Sanders, in his prime, on your team and you have the 1st overall pick and your team have glaring need at CB and deion Sanders is available to draft, and the team picking behind you his high on Sanders. Say, also that Bush and Sanders come out in the same year.

You would be stupid if you draft Bush over Sanders.

The top 3 rds should be used to fill need. The last 4, draft the best players. This would be my philosophy if I were GM.

ND72
04-27-2006, 09:27 PM
if TT is anything like Ron Wolf, Wolf set up his board so it is rated Best Player/Biggest Need. So he would take his best player at his greatest need.

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 09:52 PM
I think Thompson has a different philosophy than Wolf had. Wolf was more of a needs guy in the early rounds. He said he took the best player in the late rounds. I think that really paid off for him in the later rounds and ended up hurting a lot of his early picks.

Thompson has said it over and over again that he is not going to take a player because he needs him right now. Even with the #5 pick. I honestly believe he means it and the info given by your friend the scout as well as Thompson and anyone associated with GB since Thompson has arrived all agree.

b bulldog
04-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Wolf was clearly, 100% needs in round one. This is the reason why his first rounders stunk.

Bretsky
04-27-2006, 10:09 PM
I think Thompson has a different philosophy than Wolf had. Wolf was more of a needs guy in the early rounds. He said he took the best player in the late rounds. I think that really paid off for him in the later rounds and ended up hurting a lot of his early picks.

Thompson has said it over and over again that he is not going to take a player because he needs him right now. Even with the #5 pick. I honestly believe he means it and the info given by your friend the scout as well as Thompson and anyone associated with GB since Thompson has arrived all agree.

Nick,
Let's say for the h@ll of it Matt Leinhart falls to our pick at #5. If TT has him rated higher than the rest of the board do you think he takes him ? ?

ND72
04-27-2006, 10:10 PM
i'll even answer that if i can Bretsky....I think if Leinart falls, that makes a huge trade for TT

b bulldog
04-27-2006, 10:12 PM
hOPEFULLY ALTHOUGH lINY IS OVERRATED

Bretsky
04-27-2006, 10:20 PM
i'll even answer that if i can Bretsky....I think if Leinart falls, that makes a huge trade for TT

I'd be OK with that, but honestly we rarely get the opportunity to pluck a star this high and I'd be really disappointed if we traded down further than the 8-10 range when we should still be able to get Huff or Ernie Simms.

ND72
04-27-2006, 10:22 PM
this was just on sportscenter

scouts "not sure if Leinart can survive in the NFL, and that his arm strength doesn't impress anyone. Expect him maybe to fall to Arizona."....

oh yeah...by the way, someone tell the idiot who said this, that Arizona has maybe the best 2 young WR's in the league.

one guy even said, "he's ken dorsey".... :neutral:

Partial
04-27-2006, 10:22 PM
No no no, AJ HAWK!!!!!

Leine will be there. but we want AJ by any means necessary.

BF4MVP
04-27-2006, 10:58 PM
He said even Rodgers is happy Brett is coming back, and Rodgers has really been working hard this offseason in learning the new system.
Rodgers must really want to prove everyone (except me) wrong..All I've been reading about him is that he's been in Green Bay working with McCarthy and Tom Clements trying to learn the new system..He's apparently spent a large portion of the offseason here..

My buddy said Woodson REALLY wanted to come to GB from the start, but was comfy with TB, which is why he took a little while to make a decision, but told Ted Thompson he's a Packer, and he's DAMNED proud of it.
I like that too..Sounds like he's happy to be here..Ya know, it's no longer a situation where the mere mention of Favre's name can get Reggie White to sign here, but I'm certain Favre's decision had something to do with Woodson's decision to sign here.

Rastak
04-28-2006, 07:02 AM
what a concept huh?

I read somewhere that the Vikes have a 4 spot rule....they can move 3 or 4 spots on their daft board for need on any pick.....so if a guy is #21 on their board they can grab him at #17 if itt's a need but if the #11 guy is there they take him regardless of need. I'm not sure if that is a common thing in the NFL but I think it is...I've seen many teams take players they seemingly didn't need because they fell a round later than the team had graded them.