PDA

View Full Version : PI INSIDER- OLSEN THE CURE FOR PACKERS ?

Bretsky
04-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Olsen might just cure what ails Packers
Miami tight end has speed, good hands
By ROB REISCHEL

Special to Packer Plus
Posted: April 12, 2007

The casual observer probably looks at Green Bay's tight end situation and wants to dial 911.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson says hold the phone.

"I feel OK with our guys," Thompson said last week. "We have some young guys that a lot of people don't know about that we think have a chance to play and I'm sure Bubba (Franks) will bounce back this year."

That, of course, is how the picture looks through green-colored glasses. Reality probably isn't as rosy.

David Martin, the only serviceable tight end the Packers had last season, signed as a free agent with Miami. Franks had the worst of his seven NFL seasons.

Donald Lee was a non-factor the overwhelming majority of the season. And Tory Humphrey and Zac Alcorn, two young players Thompson is high on, have yet to catch an NFL pass.

Common sense says when Green Bay's turn in the first round comes up at No. 16, selecting a tight end would make enormous sense. Thompson, of course, refused to go that far.

"I wouldn't say (tight end) is a major position of need," Thompson said. "I don't look at it that way."

If Thompson is simply being politically correct and chooses to pursue a tight end on draft weekend, he's not exactly fishing into rich waters. The overall group of tight ends if considered average, at best.

Miami junior Greg Olsen, who ran a 4.51 40-yard dash at the NFL combine, is likely to be the only first-rounder. And if more than four tight ends are picked in the first three rounds, it would be a major surprise.

That would certainly signify a drop-off, as an average of 5.1 tight ends per year have been drafted on Day 1 over the past decade.

"There's been stronger groups of tight ends coming out in the past," said Rick Spielman, Minnesota's vice president of player personnel. "There's some guys in that third, fourth, mid-round range that are going to play in this league. It's just a matter of going through and finding that guy that's going to do that."

Most scouts believe Olsen is the best of a sub-par bunch. And on many draft boards, he's projected to go right in the neighborhood of where Green Bay picks.

Olsen didn't put up big numbers in his two seasons as a starter at Miami, averaging 35.5 receptions, 470 yards and 2.5 touchdowns per season. But he was burdened with lousy quarterbacks and certainly has the speed to exploit the middle of the field.

Olsen isn't nearly as gifted physically as San Francisco's Vernon Davis was a year ago or Kellen Winslow Jr. in 2004. But he has great hands, runs crisp routes and would be a matchup nightmare for most defenses.

Olsen would provide a major talent upgrade for the Packers. And he could step in immediately for Franks, another former Miami athlete.

"He did some good things at a high-level competition," New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said of Olsen. "I think he's a good athlete. He had a lot of good production and I think his athleticism will serve him well at the next level."

The biggest knock on Olsen is his blocking - or lack thereof. Olsen's blocking was so poor at Miami that one scout laughed when it was brought up.

"I think it's something I'm adequate at," Olsen said. "But it's something I can improve on as I get stronger and work on my technique and focus on improving that aspect of my game."

Arizona State junior Zach Miller was running neck-and-neck with Olsen before the combine. Then Miller went and ran a slow-as-molasses 4.87 40-yard dash. Miller redeemed himself a bit by posting times of 4.72 and 4.76 at his pro day, but he won't go any higher than Round 2.

Miller, compared in many circles to Baltimore's Todd Heap, was extremely productive at ASU averaging 48.0 catches and 4.7 touchdowns per season. Miller is also an outstanding blocker who figures to carve out a niche for himself as a possession receiver.

"(NFL teams) are always looking for the complete tight end," Miller said. "They always stress the complete tight end. It's hard to find a guy who can block and run well, and you have to be able to do both."

Little-known Ben Patrick of Division 1-AA Delaware is a player who has climbed draft boards since the end of the season. Patrick is a solid athlete who posted big numbers (64-639-6) as a senior. Iowa giant Scott Chandler (6-7, 270) has been productive but lacks speed. Georgia's Martrez Milner is athletic, but has bricks for hands.

Mackey Award winner Matt Spaeth of Minnesota lacks athleticism. Michael Allen of Division II Whitworth (Wash.) and Kevin Boss of Division II Western Oregon are intriguing small school prospects. Overall, though, the group hasn't turned many heads.

"It's not as good as it has been," Tannenbaum said of the tight ends. "I think there are some quality guys, though. There's some value down the line."

Thompson seemed to feel the same way.

"It looks like when it's all said and done, it will probably be a pretty normal group as far as balancing depth throughout the draft," Thompson said. "There seems to be a little less excitement over the early guys or the potential for early guys. But there's a lot of guys that I think will wind up being good players."

Whether Thompson chooses any of them will tell the real story as to what he thinks about his current tight ends.

Bretsky
04-14-2007, 05:02 PM
It would not surprise me to see Chandler in rounds 3-4. I love these interviews with TT and wonder why they even bother. RB, TE, WR, always gives the same message that we're fine there and have guys that can step up.

But I suppose, what is he suppose to say ?

woodbuck27
04-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Trading down a few spots and choosing Greg Olsen. Would that give TT alot of support for a first round pick?

I believe it would but . . .

TT states that he believes that Bubba Franks will bounce back and that overall he believes in our TE's.

Contradictions.

cpk1994
04-14-2007, 10:34 PM
It would not surprise me to see Chandler in rounds 3-4. I love these interviews with TT and wonder why they even bother. RB, TE, WR, always gives the same message that we're fine there and have guys that can step up.

But I suppose, what is he suppose to say ?

Exactly. Can you imagine if he came up to the podium and said, "We suck"? He might as well turn over the keys to his office right then and there. :)

pittstang5
04-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm not impressed with the any of the so called top rated talent TEs this year. Would I like Olsen, sure, but not in the 1st round...even if TT traded down a couple spots. I honestly think there's better value at another position in the first round this year than TE. As many "experts" suggest and my own opinion, I think there will be some good TEs available late 1st day and into the second day of the draft.

I'm on the Kevin Boss wagon....if there is one.

b bulldog
04-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I bet he'll end up being picked by Carolina

RashanGary
04-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Olsen seems a bit overrated to me. I watched his tape and he just catches the ball and falls forward. He might be an OK player but he, IMO, is largely overrated because of a fast 40 time.

On the flip side he might be better than he produced in college because of bad QB play. I just can't commit to Olsen as a guy that I think is a really good player in this draft but there are enough hard to read variables that I just can't really give a valued opinion.

As far as Olsen goes, he's not one of the guys that I would want in the first 20 picks but that is a relatively uninformed opinion.

b bulldog
04-15-2007, 02:23 PM
His college career was underwhelming. He was thought to be the next Shockey. He was doubled often but he still needed to do more to make him a true weapon at the TE position.

RashanGary
04-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Everyone thought David Terrell was this GREAT WR but it might have been him playing with one of the GREATEST passers that has ever played football that made him look so good.

That said, it could have been the opposite of that and Olsen could have been hampered by bad QB play. I'm just not into him at this point..Whatever the reason; he was a just above average college player and that doesn't scream NFL playmaker to me.

b bulldog
04-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Terell's spped and attitude weren't the greatest. I thought Edwards would turn into a very good NFL WR but as of now, he is OK. He is a lot like Chris Chambers out of UW. Chambers at least had one good year.

b bulldog
04-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Film is the greatest evaluation tool and if he never would have ran at Indy, he would be at best a second rounder. The problem is that everyone is playing the Tampa D and a fast TE can really give that D fits.

Cheesehead Craig
04-15-2007, 05:10 PM
I just want a TE that can reliably catch the ball. I don't care if he just falls forward for another 2 yards after the catch. This offense is so starved for a decent TE that I'm not going to set my sights too high to get the "perfect" replacement.