View Full Version : PI INSIDER-PACKERS LOOK AHEAD FOR A BACK

Bretsky
04-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Packers looking ahead for a back
Green's exit leaves door open
By ROB REISCHEL
Special to Packer Plus
Posted: April 12, 2007

For more than a decade now, the Green Bay Packers have treated draft-eligible running backs the way most people do telemarketers. They ignore them.

The last time the Packers even drafted a running back was 2002, when they used a fourth-round pick on Najeh Davenport. And amazingly, the last time Green Bay picked a running back on the first day of the draft was 1994, when it used a third-rounder on LeShon Johnson.

Times are almost certain to change, though, later this month. With Ahman Green gone and career backups Vernand Morency and Noah Herron the only experienced backs, it would be a shock to the football world if the Packers ignore running backs again.

"They can't go into the year with what they have right now, can they?" a scout from an NFC North team said of the Packers last week. "There's no way. I mean, Morency and Herron? Are you kidding me? That's suicide."

Packers general manager Ted Thompson wouldn't go that far. But Thompson - who's so guarded he'd be a natural with the CIA - might have tipped his hand a bit when discussing Green Bay's situation at running back.

"In terms of our specific needs, we could use some help in several different positions," Thompson said last week. "And if something were to happen that a running back were available at some point in the draft, then we could take one."

Green Bay holds the 16th pick in the first round. And the only back certain to be gone is Oklahoma junior Adrian Peterson, who some scouts compare favorably with Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson.

Peterson, who ran for 1,925 yards as a true freshman and finished second in the Heisman Trophy race, then suffered through a pair of injury-plagued seasons. But his ideal size (6-1½, 217) and blistering speed (4.37) are utopian dimensions for scouts everywhere.

Perhaps Peterson's most redeeming quality, though, is his will to win. Peterson is the ultimate package and could go as early as No. 3 to Cleveland and certainly won't get out of the top 10.

"He's good," said Detroit coach Rod Marinelli, whose team selects second. "He seems to me to be the whole package. Watch his film and he runs with a nice shoulder level and he's fast.

"He runs well and catches the ball and he had one play, I think against Boise State, where there was an interception and I watched him chase that guy all way to the end zone. That was impressive to me. He got up and chased this guy to try to make the tackle. You can see that football character on tape."

Peterson broke his collarbone in Week 7 of 2006, an injury that would have ended the year for many backs. Peterson certainly had nothing left to prove, as his place near the top of the draft was already cemented. But he returned for the Sooners' Fiesta Bowl largely because he just loves to compete.

"I think it shows a lot about what he's made of when he decided to come back and play in the bowl game," Cleveland general manager Phil Savage said. "In some ways, he didn't have anything to gain and certainly had something to lose. All the reports we've heard from OU are extremely positive on him - in terms of toughness, temperament, demeanor. Those are all qualities we're looking for in a player."

Houston coach Gary Kubiak, whose team picks 10th and needs a young running back, certainly agreed.

"He's a great football player," Kubiak said. "He's shown that he's healthy. He came back and played in the bowl game. He played well. He's a great football player and I know he's a great young man also."

California junior Marshawn Lynch is generally regarded as the second-best running back and the only other certain first-rounder. Lynch would make a lot of sense for Green Bay at No. 16, but there's no guarantee he'll be there.

Buffalo, which traded away Willis McGahee this off-season, could gobble Lynch up at No. 12. Others such as Tennessee at No. 19 or the New York Giants at No. 20 need a back and could try trading in front of Green Bay if they like Lynch enough.

Lynch, who's been compared to former Giants standout Tiki Barber, certainly would have the potential to fill the gaping hole in the Packers' backfield. While he's never been the bell cow for the Golden Bears, he averaged 1,077 rushing yards and 10 TDs per year. He also caught 26 passes per season and would be a natural in the West Coast offense.

"I think he's a good player," Giants general manager Jerry Reese said of Lynch. "He's a player who was very productive for his team out at Cal. He's a different kind of running back than Tiki Barber, but he's a good running back. He'll get drafted somewhere early and people will be happy they got the guy."

After Peterson and Lynch, there's a rather steep decline. And it's hard to find anyone who is close to enamored of the rest of the running back class.

Brian Leonard of Rutgers is a 'tweener. Ohio State's Antonio Pittman and Auburn's Kenny Irons are small. And Penn State's Tony Hunt is slow.

"It looks like a relatively normal year for the running back position," Thompson said. "It's similar to the last several years, I think."

In those years, Green Bay out and out ignored the running back position. There's virtually no way the Packers will do the same thing two weeks from now - no matter what Thompson says leading into the draft.

"We have some young guys that I know a lot of people don't know about, but we think they can play," Thompson said. "So we feel OK. We don't feel any burning desire that we have to do anything there."

Chances are, Thompson's actions will be much different than his words.

Bretsky
04-14-2007, 04:55 PM
I sure do like Peterson; if he would somehow start falling I'd have no problem with the Snapper trading up to get him