PDA

View Full Version : What I think the Packers will pick in the 1st Round.

Chubbyhubby
04-15-2007, 01:54 PM
If the Packers keep their #16 pick in the first round I think that the Packers will select a defensive player. Based on the recent history of the Packers. Not counting 2005. When there was pressure that Brett Favre would be retiring and a 1st round QB was in order. They have picked a defensive player for the last several years not counting 2005 as stated above.

To me its unlikely that the Packers will be able to get Lynch. Buffalo BIlls are courting Lynch and being that Bills are #12 that pretty much rules Lynch out. Peterson will be long gone when the Packers pick. As stated in a JSO article not so long ago that the Packers have not taken a RB in the first round for several years. My guess would be Darrelle Revis CB. Even though its not a pressing need. Based on Al Harris and Woodson manning the starting CB spots currently. He would be a good addition to the ballclub. They do need an every down back. My guess is that in the first round if Lynch is not there they will pass at RB in the first and hope for a RB in the second.

These are my thoughts let me know what you think of them.

b bulldog
04-15-2007, 02:21 PM
pERSONALLY IF i WANT REVIS, i WOUD TRADE DOWN AND HOPE HE IS THERE.

ND72
04-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Chubby....my buddy and I have been saying for a couple weeks, watch for Darrelle Revis, Aaron Ross, Paul Posluszny, Reggie Nelson(man I hope not)...maybe even stretches at Brandon Meriweather and Michael Griffin. I know we could trade down, etc.etc. But we just don't know what Ted's board looks like.

b bulldog
04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Paul Poslusney is definitely my hope not.

ND72
04-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Paul is tough, and is a prototype Strong Side LB in the NFL. He's not overly fast, but he'll be faster than Poop is. He's not my pick either...but he'd be an upgrade. Of course I would nut if Okoye or Patrick Willis were around. Willis would be an even greater upgrade at SLB for us. He played MLB in college, but a lot of writings I've seen has said he might be better on the strong side in the NFL.

packrulz
04-15-2007, 02:53 PM
This draft is a tough call if you ask me. Last year there were guys like Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Vince Young, D'Brickashaw Ferguson & AJ Hawk so you kind of knew how the first half of the draft was going to go. This year you got Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, & Adrian Peterson and the rest of the draft is muddled with a lot of question marks. Plus, with Al Davis and Matt Millen at the top of the draft you never know what they're going to do. By the time the Packers get to pick at 16 it's hard to say who will still be there. It'll be difficult for TT to move down because the teams picking after the Pack are already pretty good and not desperate to move up to get a player, even Lynch. At WR I think there's CJ and then the rest all have question marks. I agree Peterson and Lynch will probably be gone, the other RB's aren't worth the 16th pick. I also agree the best value at that point in the draft will be on defense. I like Revis, he's big enough, fast and also returns punts, and I won't be mad if TT takes him, but I think if LB's like Patrick Willis, Jon Beason, or Lawrence Timmons are still there TT, being an ex-LB, has to take one of them over Revis, or Reggie Nelson for that matter. If TT takes Revis, it's basically a 1st round pick for a nickleback/PR, but if he takes one of those LB's, it would be to push for a starting job. The Pack could have the best LB core in the NFC, & the Bears or anyone else would have a tough time running the ball. If I had a choice, I'd take Timmons, he has the size, speed, punishing hitter, a good value pick at 16.

b bulldog
04-15-2007, 02:57 PM
I know a few mocks have Beason in the top 20 but I think he will be taken in the 25-35 range. Willis would be a nobrainer.

ND72
04-15-2007, 03:12 PM
See I think Lynch will be there. The Bills have 5 openings on defense...they need to fill, and fill quickly. They'll take a top defensive player, so Lynch will fall. I just don't know if I want TT to take him.

b bulldog
04-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Lynch could slide into the early twenties pretty easily.

packrulz
04-15-2007, 03:28 PM
I know a few mocks have Beason in the top 20 but I think he will be taken in the 25-35 range. Willis would be a nobrainer.

Mocks are just mocks though, and most of those guys don't even know any Packers besides Favre. Zach Thomas was thought to be too small to play LB in the NFL and he's been starting for 11 years.

b bulldog
04-15-2007, 03:48 PM
I like UM LB's. I'm just letting you know what I've been reading in regards to Beason. I would take Willis and maybe would think about Timmons at 16 but probably skip him.

Joemailman
04-15-2007, 06:59 PM
For something a little different, here's Sporting News entire Packer mock draft

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/packers/index.html

Rd. Pick Player Pos. School
1 16 (16) Updated T. Ginn Jr. WR Ohio St.
2 15 (47) C. Henry RB Arizona
3 14 (78) B. Patrick TE Delaware
4 13 (112) T. Bain CB Hampton
5 20 (157) M. Otto T Purdue
6 19 (193) M. Johnson S Arizona
7 18 (228) B. Crum OLB Florida
7 25 (235) J. Snelling FB Va.
7 33 (243) R. Taylor RB Texas College
» complete mock draft

Team Report
4/8/2007 Print it

ND72
04-15-2007, 07:48 PM
I would give that draft an A+ up front. I'm a fan of all those guys.

BallHawk
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
I absolutely love Ben Patrick and strongly believe he will be the best TE out of this draft (though that doesn't say much.) I would be ecstatic if we got him.

I would be very upset if we drafted Chris Henry in the 2nd round though. He showed well at the combine, but he doesn't even have 1,000 yards in his 4-year career at Arizona. He's a classic underachiever and with the state of the team, as it is right now, we have plenty of "upside guys with potential." I would much rather have a back that has shown that he can carry a load such as Pittman, Hunt, Irons, etc.

ND72
04-15-2007, 08:15 PM
I absolutely love Ben Patrick and strongly believe he will be the best TE out of this draft (though that doesn't say much.) I would be ecstatic if we got him.

2nd that.

BallHawk
04-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Why do you like Chris Henry, though? He looks like a training camp body, if you ask me. I'd rather have Beach/Pope.

ND72
04-15-2007, 09:06 PM
I have relatives out in Arizona that LOVE Henry, and from what I've read what they've sent me I've really come around to him as well. MANY people out there compare him to Frank Gore. Except without the huge injuries...he's had just minor nagging injuries which has caused him not to be able to continue like he/they want. Which might raise a red flag...But...Adrian Peterson is often injured, but I wouldn't pass on him. I donno...the more I read/see of Henry, the more I think there is something there. We'll see though obviously.

Partial
04-15-2007, 09:16 PM
ND what is the beef with Reggie Nelson? I've seen you say he isn't instinctive. That is what most scouts say is his strong suit, that he has an incredibly strong feel for the game.

I think you'll see safety addressed in the second round with Eric Weddle. He defines the type of player TT would want to add. Arizona RB who has never done anything in college but had a big combine is the anti-TT pick. No way in hell is he a Packer. You can take it to the bank if Weddle is there he is the pick.

First round it could be Ginn but I question his ability to stay healthy and contribute in the first year. Scouts seem very mixed on him. He is more fast than quick, and in the NFL in my opinion quickness is far more valuable than linear speed.

Personally, I would not mind adding a player like Jarvis Moss in the first. That, or hopefully the corner from Pitt is available. He is going to be a good player I have a hunch.

Partial
04-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Why do you like Chris Henry, though? He looks like a training camp body, if you ask me. I'd rather have Beach/Pope.

Agreed 100% He is the anti-TT pick with his unimpressive game production. He has bust tattoed all over him.

ND72
04-15-2007, 09:20 PM
My "beef" with Nelson is he's the same player as Nick Collins, and that he's clearly labeled as a free safety, which is where Collins plays. We need a guy that can cover a slot or TE...which Nelson is labeled as a "coverage liability"...and that he is a zone safety, which we don't run much of with our SS. My "beef" is just as far as the Packers needs, which isn't Nelson.

Partial
04-15-2007, 09:28 PM
My "beef" with Nelson is he's the same player as Nick Collins, and that he's clearly labeled as a free safety, which is where Collins plays. We need a guy that can cover a slot or TE...which Nelson is labeled as a "coverage liability"...and that he is a zone safety, which we don't run much of with our SS. My "beef" is just as far as the Packers needs, which isn't Nelson.

I think Nelson is a good free safety, and I think Collins needs to be around the line of scrimmage or he struggles. Collins is not at all instinctive and Nelson is. From what i've seen on Nelson he is quite solid playing centerfield, where as this is Collins weakness. I think Collins is the prototype SS, not a FS.

ND72
04-15-2007, 09:30 PM
By the end of the year, Collins was making every play we needed at the FS position. Collins is NOT a SS in the NFL. He's a centerfield guy. that's the reason they drafted him, and then a pure SS in Underwood a few rounds later...

Partial
04-15-2007, 09:37 PM
I hope you're right about Collins, but I have my doubts. He seems to have more of the run stuffing hard-hitting portion of the game down than the whole coverage thing.

Anyway though, since the SS and FS play virtually the same role in our base defense and in the nickel you want a strong coverage blanket, wouldn't two centerfielders be better than one?

ND72
04-15-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't disagree with you about that. I honestly blame a lot of mistakes early in last year on Manuel and miscommunications. I think if Manuel is healthy, and Underwood is healthy going into 2007, our entire DBackfield is 100% better off. Which is what I could see Thompson thinking as well, which is why safety isn't a "need" on his board.

ND72
04-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Manuel coming back for a 2nd year in the system, healthy, Underwood hopefully makes it back healthy, and Culver got some good playing time. That Charlie Peprah was a special teamer last year even. Again, just my opinion, but I could see Thompson not having any S positions as a need to fill.

Partial
04-15-2007, 09:56 PM
I don't doubt that its not a big need but if he wants a first-rate defense and the BPA is Eric Weddle (which its a very good possibility), I think he takes him and gets rid of Manual.

ND72
04-15-2007, 10:06 PM
There are some Safeties that have sparked my interest as well...

Eric Weddle is one of them.
Rouse is a big time talent, but a big time risk...so he'll go to Cincy.
and John Wendling from Wyoming is another interest of mine. Late round wise, John Talley from Duke is an interest. He's listed as a corner, but I think he'll play safety in the NFL because of his speed.