PDA

View Full Version : Beach and Pope

Farley Face
04-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Can anyone comment on these young RBs, either from having watched them in college (Beach Kentucky, Pope Bowling Green), or from training camp last year (Pope was in TC with da Bears). They both seem to fit the one cut running style we are looking for, and based on college stats they appear to both be capable receivers out of the backfield. I can't find any information on whether either has kick or punt returning experience. I'm hopeful one of the two can make a meaningful contribution this year.

BallHawk
04-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Both have a chance to be on the Packers Opening Day Roster. I think Pope more than Beach.

Farley Face
04-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Both have a chance to be on the Packers Opening Day Roster. I think Pope more than Beach.

Beach was well on his way to making the team last year before the high ankle sprain. The Bears liked Pope quite a bit but had so much depth at RB they tried to keep him stashed on their practice squad.

I'm curious if the Pack sees Lynch as a dramatically better option, especially to use #16 on him. When we debated the switch to the ZBS last year the ability to plug in lesser known RBs and still be productive was thought to be one of the benefits. We will likely see that theory tested if we bypass a RB in the early rounds in a couple of weeks.

Packnut
04-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm a big Pope fan but I have no clue how well he would run in a pro set offense. At BG, he basically ran draws and option plays out of the shotgun formation. He does have some pass catching ability.

retailguy
04-15-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm a big Pope fan but I have no clue how well he would run in a pro set offense. At BG, he basically ran draws and option plays out of the shotgun formation. He does have some pass catching ability.

maybe he can replace old "cement shoes" Herron.

Jimx29
04-15-2007, 10:31 PM
*was expecting this to be a joke thread*

VermontPackFan
04-17-2007, 07:21 PM
I think Beach is going to be the darkhorse in our ground game this year. I like the kid,,,I hope he stays healthy and gets a chance,,,,he will suprise us all.

the_idle_threat
04-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Don't let Al Sharpton hear you calling him a "dark horse." :!:

:P :P :P

hurleyfan
04-17-2007, 07:56 PM

If he does hear that, you'll never get an "apology" for speaking out of turn and yappimg before all the facts are available :(

VermontPackFan
04-17-2007, 08:09 PM

If I had the opportunity I would call Al a hell of a lot more than darkhorse, but thats a story for another day.

Fritz
04-19-2007, 12:40 PM
I predict that Arliss Beach will become a stud for the Pack.

Anybody else need a hit of this stuff I'm smoking?

retailguy
04-19-2007, 12:42 PM

Wouldn't help, I'm laughing too hard... :wink: And Beach has the better chance of sticking around too.... :cry:

woodbuck27
04-19-2007, 12:51 PM

We're all 'pulling on' that one Fritz.

Gracious GOD !

Fritz
04-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Ah, the offseason. It's all about hope, baby.

I read that the coaching staff liked Beach, I read that the ZBS can plug in a certain kind of runner, and poof! Arliss Beach will be a stud.

MJZiggy
04-19-2007, 12:59 PM
You guys make jokes, but no one expected anything out of Samkon in '05 either...

woodbuck27
04-19-2007, 04:19 PM
You guys make jokes, but no one expected anything out of Samkon in '05 either...

Samkon needs the right system. He certainly seemed to have the strength (POWER) in 2005.

Bretsky
04-19-2007, 05:47 PM

We didn't get that much either; flash in the pan

green_bowl_packer
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
I really hope one or both of them pan out because they both have the potential for great Chris Berman nicknames like: Arliss "Son of a" Beach and this one has to be said with an Italian accecnt like Father Guido Sarucci - P.J "I'ma da" Pope or alternatively P.J. "Down with Dope, Up with" Pope.

woodbuck27
04-20-2007, 12:40 PM
I've tossed this fella's name out there, as one that might be the perfect fit for our backfield:

Cory Dillon.

The latest I've read on him fr. PFT.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

DILLON DONE, FOR NOW

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that running back Corey Dillon plans to retire.

The 10-year veteran shopped himself on the free-agent market after being cut by the Patriots, but no offers came his way.

Dillon, the one-time holder of the single-game rushing record, spent seven years with the Bengals and three with the Patriots.

We've got a feeling, however, that he'll be back. Like other veterans have done in past years, he can skip all of the offseason workouts and field offers once camps open.

Once the inevitable ACL tears and other injuries begin to occur, Dillon's phone will ring.

Comment woodbuck27:

It's interesting to me that possible draft pick RB Marshawn Lynch has been compared to Cory Dillon.